Things you wished existed

Started by klamity, September 04, 2011, 11:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

klamity

This is just a kinda pool I guess to see what people wish for.

Ill start off with a few tame ideas.

District 9 Sequel - Its been over 3 years. Please come back Christopher ):

A better Dragon Age 2 - The whole talking character thing Bioware does seems to limit the amount of options you have in the game really. I loved it so much more in Origins where you could really do whatever you want, to more of a decree than DA2.

Wheel of Time 'other stuff' - A movie, licensed game or SOMETHING! Gah! I would definitely play a WoT MMO, monthly subscription or not (all though that would really make me feel bad ):). Closest I've seen is a mod for Mount and Blade. It was done OK, but then again only so much can be done with the engine.

Augmented reality - Who wouldn't want this? All phones would be pointless. Internet anywhere at a moments notice. Display a public profile for people to view as you walk along the street. Lessen trash by leaving digital signs on the streets. It would be sweet ^^

Reagan

Thought activated gaming.  I'd be so much better at computer games if my thumbs didn't have to keep up with my brain.   :-[

Craz

Good Star Wars games. :( I remember the classics.

TheAnimeFanGirl

A super sexy rpg that's like The Sims but free-roam and more graphic (Second Life doesn't count. I want one for a console).

A mechanism that can scan you at any time if you're feeling random pain that can diagnose what's wrong.

Machines that can make copies of your favorite characters that would come to life and hang out with you. I've wanted that ever since I was a kid.
Cid the Lilty ♥ Viraveth the Selkie

(PM me if you'd like to rp with me in instant messengers)

Characters I'd like others to rp as

Sensual Animation, my forum dedicated to the sensual side of animation. Feel free to join.

Shjade

Replicators with self-sustaining power sources. Goodbye anything-shortages.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Vergil Tanner

Hey, I liked DA2...it has its weaknesses, but remember, they said right away "This is different to DAO." There is a reason that they didn't call it Dragon Age Origins 2, after all. I just liked it :D But on that note, I wish that in DA3, they have a Warden/Hawke crossover. AWESOMENESS!

Actually, Universal Studios (I think) has purchased the rights to do a WOT film/TV series, and if Game of Thrones is successful- which it's looking like it will be- there might well be a WOT TV series at some point. And let's be honest...with something as massive as WOT, a TV series is a better format than a Movie.

@ShJade
Oh yes, because the replicators in SG worked out *so* well. Advanced machines are all well and good until they try to kill us...

Anyway, I wish there was a way of harnessing the energy of awesome. That way, you could place a small collar or necklace on Chuck Norris, Mr T, Nathan Fillion and anyone else deemed "Awesome" and a new renewable energy source would be born!
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Ashe

Dragon Age II was all right...  It wasn't Origins, but it wasn't something as horrible as Duke Nukem.  And they had 13 years to make a good game!  I doubt they'll have a Warden/Hawke crossover.  Gaider said something about, "The Warden's tale is over.  You learned that from Awakening.  We're pretty sure you'll get to see Hawke again, though."

Personally, the talking was great!  I just wish...you know...  They actually got voice actors with talent.  I love FemHawke, but MaleHawke sounded horrible unless you played him as a cheesy sex-addicted sarcastic rogue.  I just couldn't paste that voice anywhere else.  *shudder*

Adding onto video games, I'd want an MMO Elder Scrolls.  It will never happen, but I want it to exist for one reason:

"Now you can slay dragons with your friends!"  :D

Vergil Tanner

Oh, I know...I just said I wished it existed. XD
But I like DA2 just as much as DAO, but as a different type of game. I mean, I own a console, and I disliked how stop-and start the combat was in DAO. Not the tactics element, but the fact that you pushed a button and it took five minutes to actually get into position to do the move. XD And I thought that most of the voice acting was pretty decent...I mean, Varric was hilarious. Of course, Male Hawke was the weakpoint...I couldn't stand his voice, I agree with you there. That's why I played a female more often than not; I just preferred her voice. She was hilarious when she was sarcastic. XD

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Sybl

A place likened to the imagination that you could walk in and out of at your leisure, that didn't turn into a nightmare later. People you care about would arrive just thinking about them whether they were next door or thousands of miles away. Where you would be or go would only be a thought away.

Funguy81

Virtual Reality MMORPG kind of like .Hack.  Put on a visor, and your in a world where you feel everything, and play your favorite MMORPG. Imagine that for the upcoming Star Wars: the old republic.

I would add something else, but I don't want to add a political firestorm.

Kate

Ian M Bank's "Culture" simular to the foundation series
(where robots and computers effectively are so capable they manage everything, but choose to create utopia for people because it actually is the most interesting an ambitious project)

Robots / machines that clean / perform maintenance / servicing / replacements etc

Nanobots injected in you that see to your health, create whatever drug effect you wish, change your body to whatever you want it to be (want to be an octopus ? => fine)

Argumented reality is good - my eyes have map overlays,

"Complementory peronality/mood" detectors, ie your feeling like venting about topic X => that sort of conversion Y is probably in the mood to share - that person is highlighted on your bionic eyes.

"Thought-deducing Attitude / interest directed training machines", it knows what interests you and doesn't bore you with what doesn't.

End of money (star trek like concept of trade), no social class differences.

"Idiocy / mundane logic filter for voting" for news and voting => Anyone that has a stupid opinion doesn't deserve a vote nor air time.

"Bitch/Bastard viruses" => Viruses that kill off those systematically enjoying bitching or being a bastard for instant social kicks / to make themselves powerful unjustifyable at others long term expense
(released as a form of population control).

transport system that does its own thing - we get into a transporter or a pod and it takes us there without manually doing anything => Always smooth nice for the environment, none have private cars its all state owned - so no better than the jones issues (effectively taxi's that run themselves)

On the topic of games

a) Anything you buy from shops / can buy is displayed in a "what it looks like" window. So you you know what your character would look like with it BEFORE buying it, same with skills and magic, before you choose it you can see what it would feel like to have it.

b) Mood states for characters, when fighting instead of choosing every thing at every second you put it in a mood state "agressive / defensive/ evasive / protective" and it does its own thing, and you can flip between mood states and also out of fighting choose what sort of thigns your character will do under different conditions when in these states.

c) Horses in games (they are about you can ride them and fight from them

d) Ships done well in games

e) Things that are a required "level" to use => Thing of the past. If you have a super-dooper sword or super-robe, you can wear it ! The idea of "balancing for levels" doesnt make sense. If you are say effectively a level 1 and you have stuff that a level 100 has => thats ok.

f) Being zoomed out more, the smaller your character the more of the scenery you can have, the easier options you have for long range spells and ranged stuff, also the more buddies you can have with you without clogging up anything.

g) Seasons in games. Its winter, its summer, its raining, its dawn, its dusk etc, fog !! Huricane ! flooded !

h) Magic being less comical and more indirect, a sword that glows but doesnt really harm anything is silly. Swing it and you get all these strange effects that just look comical (doesnt feel real)

A lightning bolt that you shoot from your fingers should KILL things - not do them a LITTLE bit of damage.

When fighting you actually look like your fighting and your opponent is actually evading your swings, blocking them not just taking the hit and their health bar goes down

If your injured your injured and your actions change, you limp not just go around with a health bar that is lower.

Ashe

Quote from: Sybl on September 11, 2011, 06:32:50 AM
A place likened to the imagination that you could walk in and out of at your leisure, that didn't turn into a nightmare later. People you care about would arrive just thinking about them whether they were next door or thousands of miles away. Where you would be or go would only be a thought away.

Quote from: Funguy81 on September 11, 2011, 08:09:35 AM
I would add something else, but I don't want to add a political firestorm.

Go ahead, Funguy, start away.  I think Sybl was trying to get people to think away from video games and more into beautiful things this world needs. 

Personally, on top of Sybl's idea, I wish that a world with healthy land and water throughout existed.  If you take a look in the Politics forum, Caela sited an article yesterday which states there's enough food in the developed countries to feed everyone in the world with 2,270 Calories a day.  That's...disgusting, that I'm eating too much and kids in other countries are dying of starvation right now.

Vergil Tanner

Ashe, it isn't your fault. It is disgusting, but the fact is, if the government in a lot of those areas weren't so corrupt, and if the country as a whole was more willing to do some more work to get to our level of society, they would be far better off. We backed off running them around a hundred years ago...they should have progressed further in that time. I know it sounds nasty, but it's the truth; South Africa in particular is just as racist and corrupt now as it was when the whites were running it.

Sybl

Quote from: Ashe on September 11, 2011, 10:07:48 AM
  I think Sybl was trying to get people to think away from video games and more into beautiful things this world needs. 

No, I was replying to Klamity's thread. Things I wished existed. I thought it was and still do think it is a good topic.

One that should be one's own thoughts.
:-)

ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut

A special robot thingie that ate spiders for me, so I didn't have to go more than three feet near to a spider, and then disposed of it for me.

Moar Stargate! Atlantis, mostly. Just because I like pervving at Joe Flannagan.

A way to travel to see my friends around the country or overseas that took minutes at the most. Like teleportation.

A way to cure depression completely.

Sometime of system that recorded my dreams, so I could replay my favourites while I slept. And keep away the nightmares.
“I didn’t want to kiss you goodbye — that was the trouble — I wanted to kiss you goodnight. And there’s a lot of difference.”
Ernest Hemingway
O/Os**A/As

klamity

Quote from: ColdBloodedJellyDoughnut on September 11, 2011, 01:07:48 PM
A way to travel to see my friends around the country or overseas that took minutes at the most. Like teleportation.

Im going to get science-y here and tell you that if we (as humans) work on making it more cost effective/environmentally friendly, you can travel around the world in ~2 hours (around the world as in going to the exact opposite side) using HALO (High Altitude Low Orbit) Planes. They go up where there is virtually no air and they just speed right on by. Of course, HALO tech is mainly being worked on for military purposes right now..

Vergil Tanner

Oh, Stargate; that's a point! I want a third season of SGU D: I loved that show...much better than SG1 or Atlantis. I liked Eli and Rush...and Varro.

Ashe

If people are going to mention Stargates, I want to see a universal translator program.

I don't know if those recent phone commercials are real, where the guy says, "My grandfather grew up in this village," and it repeats it in Italian.  All I know is that I want an affordable version of that, or something a step further so that when you speak, it automatically translates.  I'd sell all my possessions and just start backpacking through Europe and Asia.