Interest check - Black Crusade (40k)

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2011, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NotoriusBEN

blegh, trying to come up with a character idea for a savage bomb maker / stabber  renegade is hard. Also, flying to all points american for my job sucks. I'll try to get it in tonight. it may end up being a last minute submittal on sept 30. >.>

stats are happening at least, so I'll be able to work something out with it.

SubmissiveAlpha

Hi. I've been interested in Black Crusade for quite a while now, and own the book(a GenCon Pre-Release  ;D), so I was wondering if the spot for the CSM Champion was taken yet. I thought I'd ask before setting up a character background/concept, on the off chance that it was and I simply missed it.

HairyHeretic

Send your concept through to the GM, he'll pick the group.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Wargtass

The heretek will come into play just a while after the heretics meet the CSM and will indeed be from off planet. I have two concepts competing for the heretek position, so I'll have a fun time choosing.

So far I have not received any concepts for the Champion, you are welcome to contribute.

As for Mein Fuhrer, no way I am letting a starting character have a Daemon Weapon. Especially with that name, my gramps would be spinning in his coffin, gevalt geshreeyeh!
O/O

The Great Triangle

The weapon fairly specifically isn't a demon weapon, but rather a frozen shard taken with the Cursed Heirloom talent.  I'd certainly be happy to pick another name for it, of course, but it's basically a REALLY unlucky dagger that has the ability to kill space marines. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 27, 2011, 09:13:28 PM
The weapon fairly specifically isn't a demon weapon, but rather a frozen shard taken with the Cursed Heirloom talent.
This^, I had the same 'wtf daemon weapon?!' moment when i first read it, but i looked it up in the book and its actually a exotic melee weapon, so its a valid choice as far as i know.

The Great Triangle

It steps on the same thematic territory as a daemon weapon, but doesn't have the mechanical power of one, and almost certainly isn't sentient.  My character concept likely would be caught talking to it, but it's really an inanimate object that gets treated like a person.  The item is supposed to be a plot hook, though, since it can cause trouble with its origins, curse, and stubborn unwillingness to be seperated from its owner.

(note that the unwillingness is another thing solely at GM discretion, though, and the item can just as easily go missing at an important point, though it never gets permanently lost no matter how hard the PC tries to get rid of it)

Ons and Offs

Ironwolf85

I've been reading the book and trying to come up with a CSM sorcerer, but...
"AHHHHH MY SKULL HURTS BY THE DARK GODS! THE KNOWLAGE, THE UNFATHONABLE KNOWLAGE!" *splak noise followed by power armor hitting the floor with a dull thud*

Joking aside I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed making a sorcerer for the first time, not to mention being used to playing Imperial Guard, I kinda look at chaos's interpertaions of the lore in the book and thinking "dear merciful god... these guys have their heads even farther up their asses than the Imperial Cult, and THAT is saying somthing!"

I'm kinda feeling sorry for the civs, trapped between a ruthless parinoid theocratic regime and the insane bloodcrazed anarchists who want to bring it down.
Still I am completely rewriting the backstory and I find some of the images hard to look at in the book, the only creatures that don't look so messed up they make me want to shove a chainsword through them are in fact the CSM sorcerers, and perhaps a few cool looking mutants.

seeing an actual character sheet helps me put things togeather too.

I'm thinking about what darkling said about going a marine going rouge, funny thing is, dispite seeing all the horrors of the imperial machine. I can't bring myself to hate the emperor himself even in game.
But the way his wonderful ideals and his progressive, foreward thinking Imperial Creed, has been twisted from a beautiful lantern meant to show mankind the way foreward into a bloody trunchon to bludgeon him into submission, all the while the emperor watches in horror trapped on the golden throne unable to die and be reborn, worshiped as the god he never wanted to be...

the idea was this marine peicing even some of this togeather, imagine what that would do to such a man.

The chapter I liked the most for this future character is the Celestrial Lions, they tried going through the proper channels to demand an investigation into the unsessary inquisitorial glassing of a planet they'd protected. for their trouble, they never got an answer as the inquisition anserws to nobody, their high command on the way to petition the emperor himself was "accidently" blown off course into an ork infested region, and the rest of the chapter was dispatched to armageddion to protect a hive city, a good portion of the chapter was killed on that meatgrinder world, they aren't gone but I'm guessing they are seriously bitter at the inquisition, even if they can't prove anything.
and I like the gold and blues...
so it's either them or the Death Strike chapter... which has little background actually
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

NotoriusBEN

Nothing elaborate, we can generate plot hooks as we go. I like to start broad and then work in the details as they arise.

Dauskin was one of the people that grew up among the Crom Tribe. A forgotten human world that degenerated into primal survival, where the Gods and the Emporer of Man were nothing more than story tales. As a youth he had a knack for tinkering with tools and weapons. Lostech from ages past were sometimes dug up and he would pry them apart to find out what made them tick. Sometimes he made genuine improvements, but most of the time, it ended in failure or sharp explosion. Others discredited him as a fool for wasting so much energy on trinkets when harvests and supplies for the lean months were paramount.

He wasn’t a strong youth like many of the others, but his quick wit and ruthless tactics at least left him an able fighter of the village. Again the tribe berrated him for trying to hide and attacking a foe, unseen. There was no honor in fighting dirty. “What good is honor to the dead?” He would reply.
In truth, Dauskin was tired of conforming to the daily drudgery and meager survival of living to another day. When the Old Hag mentioned power and prophecy, he lept at the chance to be free of the lesser minded tribesman.

So now here he was, with a few others from the tribe. He didn’t believe they would find whatever it was they were looking for. If anything, they’d come back after a few days, but maybe Dauskin would find a suitable place to set up and break away from the tribe.

Character Sheet
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Dauskin
Race: Human
Archetype: Renegade (+3WS, +3BS)
Pride:  Craftsmanship (+1Inf, +3Ag, +3Int, -3WS, -3BS)
Disgrace:  Destruction (+2Inf, -4Fel)
Motivation: Vengence (+2Wnd, -5Per)
Wounds: 13 10 + 1d5 (1) +2
CHAOS ALLEGIENCES                                                                                                                                                                    .
Khorne  1
Nurgle
Slaneesh
Tzeentch  1

Characteristics
Trait           Base           Allocation       Mods
WS    45          25                 20           +3 -3
BS     25          25                                +3 -3
S       25          25                                 
T       30          25                    5
Ag     48          25                  20          +3
Int     48          25                  20          +3
Per    35          25                  15          -5
WP    45          25                  20
Fel     21          25                                -4
Inf     27         1d5 (5) + 19                +1 +2

Skills
Athletics
Awareness
Common Lore (War)
Dodge
Intimidate
Logic
Operate (Surface)
Parry +10
Scholastic Lore (Tactica Imperialis)
Security
Stealth
Tech-Use +10

Talent
Ambidextrous
Catfall
Disarm
Jaded
Quick Draw
Rapid Reload
Street Fighting
Sure Strike
Weapon Training (Chain, Las, Primary, SP, Bolt)
Heavy Weapon Training (Flame)

Special Rules:
Adroit: Pick a Characteristic. For the rest of the game, that characteristc scores an additional success on any test it is involved in.

Gear:
STILL NEED TO ALLOCATE GEAR AND GET ADDITIONAL GEAR

Purchased Skills, Traits, Talents
Tech-Use +10     350xp   Unaligned
Street Fighting   250xp    Khorne
Logic                  200xp    Tzeentch
Security              200xp   Unaligned

Wargtass

Quote from: The Great Triangle on September 27, 2011, 09:13:28 PMfrozen shard taken with the Cursed Heirloom talent

The Frozen Shard is Extremely rare while the Cursed Heirloom only permits Very Rare or less.
O/O

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Wargtass on September 29, 2011, 12:54:51 PM
The Frozen Shard is Extremely rare while the Cursed Heirloom only permits Very Rare or less.
ah wisdom.

Everyone seems to be fully stating their characters out instead of just giving concepts... should i do the same?

Wargtass

I will not look over any stats until I have decided which concepts will be picked. Which I will do in approximately eight hours. If one have not posted a concept until then I must sadly reject further concepts in lieu of planning the encounters and adventure.

To those that is in the panic of coming up and writing their concept, take it easy, you got plenty of hours before I start checking in, no need to rush.
O/O

Ironwolf85

okay here's the concept for Avarius Leonin, former loyalist marine of the Celestrial Lions he supposedly only had minor psychic potental, enough to denote him for further conditioning in loyality to the chapter and the emperor, and get him the marine equilivent of a desk position as protector and cataloger of relics. He was simply a low ranking libarian. He was content with helping his brothers off and a few times on the battlefield, and training the beings and powers of chaos held no lure over him.
That innocence and contentment changed when the Celestrial lions began questioning the inquisition's brutality against civilans they'd saved Albiet through offical channels, even going so far as to try and petition the emperor. the death of their entire command staff due to a "Freak Warp Storm" 80% of the chapter being ground into sausage, and loosing their gene-seeds thanks to suprisingly intelligent ork snipers targeting their apothicaries on armageddion all within a month.
Avarius knew the inquisition was coming for the chapter's reliquaries, and it was the combination of duty, dread, and outrage at the inquisition's (as he saw it) underhanded murder of each of his battle brothers, and of his entire chapter, that finally gave chaos a hold on the Psyker, causing him to turn his back on the Imperium.
Now embracing "the path of glory" he turned over the relics, weapons, and knowalge of the chapter to priates, private collectors, tossed a few into space and the warp for good measure to keep them out of inquisitorial hands, and fled for his life into the Screaming Vortex.
Now this embittered idealist is out for inquisitoral blood, using his psychic powers to face his foes and flay them alive. Dispite this entire ordeal somthing of the conditioning stuck with him, he still believes the emperor cares for his people... but that the inquisition, high lords of terra, and their military machine, keep him trapped upon the golden throne, woshiping him as a god when he clearly is not.

the Imperium must be destroyed to save the emperor.... the golden throne is a jail cell...
the chaos gods must be laughing somewhere
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

The Great Triangle

Quote from: Wargtass on September 29, 2011, 12:54:51 PM

I took a weapon downgrade (the cursed metal downgrade) to lower the rarity of the weapon by one step, thereby making it very rare, and able to be taken as a cursed heirloom.  If that isn't allowed by the rules, then I'll have to select a new weapon, though I do personally like having a cursed exotic weapon.  If that element of the character is disruptive or takes focus away from the story, I can delete it and select something else, such as outdoors and tracking skills or another minion, for flavor.

Ons and Offs

ChaoticSky

has anyone heard from warg since being told if you were accepted or not?

Wargtass

I am rewriting some stuff at the moment, plus having alot of work to handle at the moment. I'll have more info coming up on Monday night.
O/O

ChaoticSky

Quote from: Wargtass on October 08, 2011, 08:02:35 PM
I am rewriting some stuff at the moment, plus having alot of work to handle at the moment. I'll have more info coming up on Monday night.
o.o speak of the devil.

Its alright, I was just wondering if i had somehow fallen out of the loop.  ;D

Ironwolf85

Wargtass

Started up a OOC for the players!
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=121584.0

Will post the intro soon and put both links in the OOC-thread. Reminding you that players are:

Darkling - Sek the Heretek
HairyHeretic - Tymor the Chosen
frost rose - Tanvi the Apostate
Ironwolf85 - Avarius the Sorcerer
NotoriusBEN - Dauskin the Renegade

Thank you all for showing interest, positions are closed.
O/O

Ironwolf85

getting the hang of character creation!
spells picked, weapons looked over, all traits done, i feel like a kid in a candy store with even my basic equipment.