Interest check - Black Crusade (40k)

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2011, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

Just to give you something to work with, I'm aiming to play a Night Lord, a veteran of the Long War. Do CSMs have any weapons that would suit a sniper? That's kinda the reason I was asking about the deamonic ones. I know technically CSMs don't have snipers, but I think the idea of a sniper, killing unseen, plays nicely in with the Night Lords way of working.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

Just got the game Space Marine in, and now I'm hankering for some Deathwatch as well...
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

SidheLady

Slaaneshi sorceress? hehe. They are always fun...
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

I have Discord, ask to contact me!

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)
https://www.f-list.net/c/sidhelady/

HairyHeretic

I've seen the book is now for sale on a couple of online sites I browse, so hopefully my own FLGS should have it next weekend.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

Im currently playing in TGT's Rogue Trader campaign. I would love to play some Black Crusade too. I need to find a comic shop... its a pain when I got to travel everywhere and I cant support my local store.

ChaoticSky

I would like to throw my hat in as well, been meaning to get back into RPing, and learn how to do this system-game nonesense :P

I am also extremely knowledgeable about the setting.

So, total system nub, 40k lore vet, long time RPer. Am i in?

----

Also to point out, not all modern marines are junkless, rather its something that is endemic to a chapters ideologies, puritan chapters (smurfs and Black Templars, for example) tend to opt for castration, on the other hand, more easy going ones dont necessarily do the same, Space Wolves certainly dont. That said, all chapters consider such matters beneath them, even ones with working junk :P. The whole topic is rarely explored, aside from a firm insistence that space marines dont have sex, and arnt interested in sex, but if you read between the lines here and there, several chapters dont seem as mum in this area as a true Eunuch would be. Of course, chaos marines are something else all together, and tend to be very depraved in one form or another, the Emperor's Children certainly have no qualms about sex (though 'sex' can very much be the wrong word for what actually happens, depending on how far gone the marine in question is)

NotoriusBEN

what darkling said.

In the deathwatch book, they go into the psychology of marines and how they interact with citizens of the imperium. Marines are so far above the common citizen or soldier that they dont really know how to talk to them outside of missions. Even then, what would be a harrowing experience at the precipice of death for an IG trooper is just another Tuesday for a Marine.

It doesnt mean that fraternization / friendships dont happen. They are just incredibly few and far between. And your more likely to make friends with a Space Wolf or Dark Angel compared to a Blood Angel or Black Templar.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 17, 2011, 08:55:01 PM
I would like to throw my hat in as well, been meaning to get back into RPing, and learn how to do this system-game nonesense :P though i only have a half-blurry pdf of BC atm, i should beable to fix that soon enough with a delicious physical copy. (though if any of you know for a clean pdf in the meantime, feel free to share the love)

No, don't.

Rule 5 of the site states "This server is governed by the laws of the United States. You will not link to or provide warez, illegal pdfs or mp3s, and so on. Threats will be dealt with accordingly."

so please don't go talking about pdfs and such.

Quote from: Darkling on September 17, 2011, 08:55:01 PM
I am also extremely knowledgeable about the setting.

So, total system nub, 40k lore vet, long time RPer. Am i in?

I'd say welcome, but the guy who was offering to GM has been quiet for the last week or so.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Ah, my mistake. been offsite for a while. if it helps any i do plan to buy it, im just impatient  ;) will edit that out.

HairyHeretic

Believe me, you can't be any more eager to get it than I am :)

If the original interest GM bows out, anyone fancy taking their place?

Oh, and Andy, I was in an interesting (though short) Deathwatch game on RPoL a little while back. It was set at the time of the Horus Heresy. The idea is we would play through the Crusade, and then depending on which Legion we belonged to, attack or defend the Imperium. We ended up playing Imperial Fists (not my choice) but the GM had to drop it before we got that far.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 18, 2011, 09:06:17 AM
Believe me, you can't be any more eager to get it than I am :)
Challenge Accepted! ;D

Unfortunately, as a total system-nub im not really in a position to GM a game without making a horrific mess of it

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Darkling on September 18, 2011, 10:25:31 AM
Challenge Accepted! ;D

Chaos player since the original Rogue Trader / Realms of Chaos days. I've been waiting on this game for over 20 years  :P

Quote from: Darkling on September 18, 2011, 10:25:31 AM
Unfortunately, as a total system-nub im not really in a position to GM a game without making a horrific mess of it

I could run it easily enough, I'd just rather play than GM.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

NotoriusBEN

dont worry, system games are not as hard as they seem. I managed to find a copy of Black Crusade in Hawaii and Im pouring over it now. Havent gotten to the mechanics yet, but if it is like the others, it's pretty simple.

War 40k uses a d100 system. (that's a 100 sided die). when you make your character, you have numbers next to your characteristics (Weapon Skill, Strength, Intelligence, etc). These are the base numbers you roll against. Then your character has skills which they know how to do. They can do many skills they dont know as well, but at a penalty, but we wont worry about that now.

So you want to deduce some perplexing puzzle in the game. Your character has an Intelligence of 35, and you have the Logic Skill. So to make a successful roll, you need to roll *under* 35 in order to succeed.

If your looking at the percentages of a lot of your characteristics, you'll notice that you have a rather low success rate. Well... that's kinda built into the system. Warhammer 40k is a rather lethal game and death is a very real possibility. I've gotten used to it, and its much sweeter winning combat in 40k compared to DnD. You have to play smart in life or death situations. By smart, I dont mean min/max modifiers (the GM will calc that). Look at how you would win a firefight. You gotta take cover, move tactically, flank opponents. (which incidentally, have modifiers that alter the success of your attack. Fantasy Flight is rather thorough).

Its kind of funny, but as in every game the GM can mean the world of difference. I like TGT, but I get the feeling that the last couple of pages on our game, he's been trying harder to kill us... and he might do it. :P Still, he's got a fun game going and that's what we like.

I would *LOVE* to get back into GM'ing. BUT, BUT, BUT, my work has me traveling all over and working crazy hours with not a lot left over to myself. I've tried GMing a DnD game and a Shadowrun game, and they both died in 1 1/2months :S. I dont want to do that you you guys.

AndyZ

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 18, 2011, 12:01:00 PM
Its kind of funny, but as in every game the GM can mean the world of difference. I like TGT, but I get the feeling that the last couple of pages on our game, he's been trying harder to kill us... and he might do it. :P Still, he's got a fun game going and that's what we like.

Makes me miss the days when I had a reputation for hating my players...
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

SidheLady

I am interested in this, but wont have BC for at least a week or two. I do have DH and the Radicals handbook however
"Dream, not of what you are, but what you want to be" - Lotus (aka spacemom!), warframe

I have Discord, ask to contact me!

My Games including Sassy Space Vixens and the Gentry https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=253546.0

My general Ons and Offs (will be updated soonish whenever I remember and get around to it)
https://www.f-list.net/c/sidhelady/

ChaoticSky

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 18, 2011, 11:47:53 AM
Chaos player since the original Rogue Trader / Realms of Chaos days. I've been waiting on this game for over 20 years  :P
Ha, okay, your win. This is what i get for being a imperial dog.

and thanks for the explanation ben ^^

Wargtass

Sorry for the silence, but I have been pretty caught up with writing this little piece. I have, in fact, just played the first session and it was a great success! And I must say that I am already quite fond of the system. I intend to play it more like an epic tale of a small group realizing their dreams of power. The best example would be what one of my players said tonight when I asked them how I did for this adventure. "It was like being in Conan the Barbarian; epic and inviting with a big good piece of cheese in the boss-fight." Yes, they had a boss-fight and I can certainly see why it was cheesy, but you'll have to get that far first if you want to know. So here is a bit of a plot synopsis that will give you some idea of it all:

On the planet Rought in the Koronus Expanse, in the village of the Crom Tribe, an old hag, the Witch of a Thousand Spawns, foresees that three of her children shall rise from their pitiful lives to serve the Four Gods. She is shown their path and calls them to her, giving them a quest which they must complete in order to gain the favours of the Gods. Over the hills, through the desert and past a jungle lies a mountain so high that its top is frozen shut, but in that top there is a cave of ice which hides a sword which will change destinies across space and time. "On this quest ye shall go" she says "and on your way ye shall find three giants. They have been betrayed by their Lord and lie helpless in the grinding, hot sands of the desert. Help them and ye shall find that they will help you in turn to find your destiny."

Meanwhile, wandering across the desert comes the terrible horde of Harakk the Receiver, gifted by the Gods and sent to purge the Expanse. Twenty worlds lie ruined in his path and twenty more shall burn before he is given his reward. Rought is the twenty-first and he has sworn to purge it like any other. However no resistance has been shown, no enemies to slay and the horde grows restless. Three Chaos Space Marines speak up against Harakk's folly, which they pay dearly for. "If you won't bow to me, I shall make sure you crawl on your bellies for the Gods!" he roars as he tears the power packs of their power armours and destroy them with his demonic fist. He leaves them there, their strength barely enough to move their unpowered armours and their supreme bodies wasting in the scorching heat of the desert.

Yet destiny has foretold it. These six shall rise to infamy and claim their place in the annals of the Dark Gods!

I might just have got an degree in campy, but it was worth it!

To start with I can say right now that I'll give Hairy Heretic a benefit, seeing as he was the one to start the thread and seems to burn for this special RP session. As such I grant him the honour to play a Night Lords Chaos Space Marine (recommendations are to play as the Forsaken archetype for the sneaky sniper deal). As for the rest, there are two CSM and 3 regular Heretics to play*. A quick guide to their Archetypes (classes) are:

CSM
Champion - A warrior and commander, leader of soldiers by either fear or devotion.
Chosen - A consummate soldier and hard bitten veteran.
Forsaken - An outcast from his former allegiance, a lone wanderer who joins other warbands out of necessity.
Sorcerer - A Chaos Space Marine who has mastered the art of psyche and sorcery.

Human
Apostate - An infiltrator and silver-tongued serpent, a powerful leader of the masses.
Renegade - A warrior who survives on skill of arms rather than brute force.
Heretek - One initiated into the mysteries of technology, a rebel from the cult of the Adeptus Mechanicus**.
Psyker - An unsanctioned and chaos-turned psyker, extremely powerful and infused by the warp.

For now I am more interested of your vision of a character rather than the stats. If you are interested you can PM me a concept, personality and history. These are essentially controlled by certain parts of character creation regularly, but in this case I think it's important that you are happy with your character's soul rather than being. As thus, your concept, personality and history will have effects on your character creation, which is important to contemplate before you rush along to roll up your stats.

Concept: What your character is and what he/she aims to be. This will effect your Motivation***.
Personality: How your character acts, think and sees things. This will effect your Disgrace***.
History: What your character have done up until now. Worth noting is that Human characters have never been outside this planet and only barely outside their village (Heretek being an exception) and that the CSM have spent the last couple of years marauding with Harakk's horde. This will effect your Pride***.

I will be the final judge if your character makes the cut or not. If not I'll tell you what I think and what I believe could improve it. In the end (if we actually get that kind of interest) I'll choose five characters (excluding HairyHeretic) that will play.

When we start playing I'll go by the book, my personal judgement and your opinions if anything should be unclear. I am a GM that hates to get clogged in dice rolls and rulemongering, so at the end of it all I'll make a call and that will be it. Fear not, I shall take you all into consideration.

Finally, I want all players to have a copy of the book at hand. Whether physical or not, as long as I don't know its origins I'll give the benefit of the doubt (but as a man who bought it for double the price to get a hand on it earlier, I'd prefer if you have a legal copy once we start).

Any questions, ask them here or by PM, I'll be happy to reply. Also I would like to have your input on the sexual content. If any, how much, etc. For obvious reasons I have not included any such content in the campaign as it is (my friends are not frequenting any adult role-playing circles, unless they are keeping it secret...).

*Keep in mind that you have to keep possibilities open. If you can only imagine playing one or the other, your PM for me only needs to have one character concept, if you feel you are more flexible when it comes to race it helps if you send two character concepts, one for each (a pain, yes, but it simplifies matters for me). Sending just one will not guarantee that you get that race, however, I still judge by how well it is presented
**Worth noting is that a Heretek player wouldn't come in before some time has passed in the story, that is not until the others have reached a certain point in their first endeavour. Not too far in though, they'd meet him fairly quick depending on how much roleplay they squeeze in before that.
***Motivation, Disgrace and Pride have effects on your characteristics and stats. It will be up to me to interpret what your character gains from these.
O/O

Ironwolf85

I was thinking a CSM sorcerer, I usually play the good guy but kind of want to branch out, just completed the game Space Marine, and absloutely loved playing a loyalist, even if he got dragged off by the inquisition DISPITE killing a deamon prince by himself at the end of a story arc, actually it was his immunity to Chaos that had the inquistion on his ass.

Persionally I'd rather frag chaos that play them most days, I'm always a sucker for saving people and what with blood sacrifice and all the other crazy crap they do... just makes be want to bash their skulls in, then again the inquisition and imperial cult piss me off almost as much. admitidly I took great satisfaction in handing the Sisters of Battle their fanatical asses in Dawn of War.
But I figure it's time to expand my horizons play chaos for once, think I'll go a bit eastern too.

Kassad, the Ruby Prince, 77th son of the sultan of a wasteland world, recruited into the black templars he could not stomach the slaughter of civilans, he defied orders, still an initate at the time. the inquisition and his battle brothers were not going to loose a potental libarian.
He turned to psychic powers to survive and fled into the warp to escape the shadow of the inquisiton.
What emerged during the dark crusade is far diffrent from the initate who fled the battlefield.

When finally starved (no food in the warp and he lacked sustaining power armor at the time.) and beaten down by the battering horros swarming upon him, he was confronted by a sorcerer of the Thousand Sons offering saftey, knowlage, and freedom if he pledged himself to the chaos gods. He drove his combat knife into the sorcerer's throat pried his armor off, and seeing without food he would eventually die or be overwhelmed, ate him, not knowing that power armor would have prevented that very need. he realized somthing that day, instead of fearing the warp and it's deamons, he grabbed the demons that attacked him by the throat and bent them to his will.
He has been a sorrcer ever since.
Now clad in red and gold power armor, and mutated into a red scaled cobra headed humanoid (the warp's reflection of his newly growing persona, plus the mutative influence of the demons he carries as companions) he refuses to give tribute to the chaos gods, seeing them only as massive deamons with delusions of grandure, he's willing to work with their servants provided they pay.
He fights not for acension or the favor of the dark gods, but because messing with the imperium is fun, creating havoc with his servants is fun, watching Imperial guard troops drop shells on their own ranks is fun. war... is you guessed it... FUN!
As such he does not go out of his way to defile the Emperor's shrines, and sees the emperor as a respectable adversary. One he'd like to sit down and have a talk with someday. He ignores imperial civilans, hates xenos, especally Eldar, and loathes the inquistion with a burning hatered. He doesn't want to crush the imperium into dust, they're just too much fun.

I had the image of him walking into an imperial chapel standing before a statue of the emperor and talking to it like he was talking to the man himself, much to the surpise of the imperial priests who expected slaughter. "Not talking to me today huh, ahhh I know you've got an entire imperium to protect, what's a single town." the picking up the Imperial Deed (or whatever their holy book is called) and thumbing though it "hey they added an edition since I read this last, oh this sector has a new saint too!" walking right up to a priest and handing him a power weapon "here, I'll take this for some light reading, you use this to defend yourself against the oncoming orcs? Die gloriously now, try and save your flock in the process, and when you do tell the emperor, or whatever saint you meet Kassad says hi, and if it's your local one tell her I said her ass is beautiful"
and just walking out
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

NotoriusBEN

I had to leave on a business trip at the beginning of the month and I wanted to play space marine. I've not looked at footage of it until now with the "WTF..." angry britain series and omg... I want to play so bad. I go home this thursday for a couple days and I must find time between Gears of War 3 and Space Marine... I think I'll be up for 50hours...

HairyHeretic

Concept sent. And while I appreciate the offer of a free in, I think it would be fairer for you to pick whichever 6 you think fit best. :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

I don't have access to the actual book but I'm going looking for a pdf if anyone knows where I can get one it would be appricated.
basicly I'm looking at a CSM sorcerer with some physical and cosmetic mutations
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on September 19, 2011, 12:34:58 PM
I don't have access to the actual book but I'm going looking for a pdf if anyone knows where I can get one it would be appricated.

If they did, they wouldn't be able to say, since it's against site rules :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Ironwolf85

understood *wink wink* found it by myself anyways

Ironwolf85

or you know... NOT...
turns out I downloaded a ton of background history on the 13th black crusade...
and no rules save those for armies that fought in the conflict
what is the name of the book I need to look for?
there is a lot of data to sift through...
I did find the infantryman's uplifting primer, heard it's a hoot to read.
and lastly Space Marine captures the feel of being one of the "emperor's Angel's of death" rather well in my opinion, you just feel like such a badass while guardsmen are hiding behind baracades and taking shots, plowing through sandbags (not leaping over them) grabbing an ork by the throat tossing him to the ground, and stomping his head, when a shoota opens up on you whipping around and blowing his head off with a timely bolter round...

ChaoticSky

*wince* he wasnt kidding when he said it was against the rules you know....