News:

"The Most Precious Jewel [One Shot: NC-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Food ideas for first time college student

Started by Chelemar, August 29, 2011, 07:44:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chelemar

Ok.  Here's my question.  My God-daughter who is estranged from her mum, is away at college for her first semester.  She phoned with and S.O.S. for food.  She's not sure herself what she will need, only that she does.

She's got an apartment, she's a freshman and is not at a traditional college but will have courses from 9:00 to about 4:00 with an hour lunch. I know what I would have bought.  Even with an apartment, full meals were not at all par for the course.  Never enough time.

So, any ideas out there on what we can buy for her to give her a small pantry to take back with her, that won't break the bank.  She's already got oodles of noodles. ;)

This is all I have so far:

peanut butter
tuna fish
frozen veggies
fresh fruit
cheese
yogurt
We also thought about taking a dozen eggs and hard boiling them, that way it would all ready be done.  At least she'd have a quick peel meal.
Granola bars

Starlequin

If she can get a cheap electric skillet and a small electric oven, she can still cook small meals for herself relatively quickly. You can also whip up big pots of stew or soup, and cook a lot of chicken breasts or beef/turkey parties, and portion them out in gallon freezer bags to send with her.

Also, those powdered breakfast drink mix packets are good too. Just add milk and stir, and they last you for a pretty good while.
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Oniya

Slow cooker, if she's allowed.  If you're living alone, you can cook up enough food for a week, and there's no need to hover over it - chop up the stuff the night before, pile it in the cooker in the morning, let it cook while you're in class.  Parcel in tupperware, and heat up in the microwave or in a saucepan.

In the 'ready-meal' category, canned soups and stews take about 3 minutes in a standard microwave, or maybe 10 on the stove.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Black Howling

I'll echo Oniya's suggestions. The Slow cooker in particular is a life saver. As for what wont break the bank otherwise.... I actually do well with some frozen pizza's. They aren't great, but are chep and only take 10-15 minutes to bake in an oven. Otherwise, you can also hit the sandwiches and bread route. cheap and mobile for students. Cereal is a life saver when you don't have much time too.

Autumn Sativus

Pasta is great for students. Make it for dinner, take leftovers for lunch. Rice is similar.

Hamburger or Tuna Helper work similarly as well as Mac and Cheese. Ramen or Cup-O-Soup.

Anything with directions that's relatively easy is usually okay for non-cookers.

Microwave things like little pasta dishes or those panini sandwiches that go in the microwave. Steamer veggie dishes with pasta or otherwise.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Chelemar

Great ideas everyone, thanks.

She does have a fairly good kitchen.  It's the time factor that's at issue. :)  The slow cooker idea is something I will check into.  I have one I can send with her.  :D

Great ideas!  Thanks.

Chele

The Dark Raven

Juice boxes/ capri-sun.  I cannot tell you how many times a granola bar and a capri-sun saved my life in college.

Check my A/A | O/O | Patience is begged. Momma to Rainbow Babies and teetering toward the goal of published author. Tentatively taking new stories.

undisclosedtoyou

Frozen fruit works to, it lasts a long time, and can give her that much needed shot of fruit when she needs it, but can't afford it.  Canned foods are perfect, like soups, veggies, even those little sausages.  Those cheap, dry soup packets work wonders to.  Bouillon cubes are awesome to, I know people who literally live off those most of the time.  Mmmmm, drink powders last a long time to.   
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Black Howling

Quote from: undisclosedtoyou on August 29, 2011, 10:53:43 PM
Frozen fruit works to, it lasts a long time, and can give her that much needed shot of fruit when she needs it, but can't afford it.  Canned foods are perfect, like soups, veggies, even those little sausages.  Those cheap, dry soup packets work wonders to.  Bouillon cubes are awesome to, I know people who literally live off those most of the time.  Mmmmm, drink powders last a long time to.
I second the Bouillon cubes, the possibilities with those are near endless....

Sarena

With the slow cooker idea, she could make a pot of one thing one day, divide it and freeze it, then the next day make something else, divide it and freeze it and then have quick go to meals for two weeks.

You can cook all sorts of things (even cake) in a slow cooker.  :D  If you'd like, I would be happy to send you some recipes.
I can go from southern belle to ghetto thug faster than you can say "Bless your heart".

Black Howling

Quote from: Sarena on August 30, 2011, 12:27:06 AM
With the slow cooker idea, she could make a pot of one thing one day, divide it and freeze it, then the next day make something else, divide it and freeze it and then have quick go to meals for two weeks.

You can cook all sorts of things (even cake) in a slow cooker.  :D  If you'd like, I would be happy to send you some recipes.
Cake in a slow cooker... I'm seriously interested.

Oniya

"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Black Howling

Oreo

If time is the factor, I would suggest sandwiches, pita bread or wraps. They can be loaded with anything (even leftovers).

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Chelemar

Quote from: Sarena on August 30, 2011, 12:27:06 AM

\

Oh, yes please.  :)

And bullion cubes is a terrific idea.  Thanks!

Chelemar

Quote from: Oreo on August 30, 2011, 08:28:08 AM
If time is the factor, I would suggest sandwiches, pita bread or wraps. They can be loaded with anything (even leftovers).

Yes, another great idea.  :)

I am also going to do some cooking here before she comes home, and have some MRE's for her to take back with her.

Oniya

Oreo

I used to cook way more than what I needed of food and then put it in TV dinner trays for freezing. I used them when I worked evenings and my kids would need something to pop in the microwave. (It was especially nice for Thanksgiving dinners in July.) They taste way better than your average TV dinner and are quick to warm up.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

undisclosedtoyou

Mashed potato flakes, the kind that just needs water to be added to it, to make nice yummy mashed potato's.  I know it doesn't sound very appetizing, but it's awesome because it's quick, easy, and last a long time.
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

meikle

I don't spend all day at school, and I usually eat breakfast and dinner and skip lunch, but I get a lot of mileage out of ramen (but you said she already has noodles.)

Ramen + eggs makes an ugly but delicious omelette if she's got a stove to cook it on.

When I lived in a dorm with just a microwave for food prep, I had a lot of meals that were just instant rice cooked in canned (but not condensed) soup.

Yogurt and frozen fruit work pretty well together, even better with a blender and some milk.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: meikle on August 30, 2011, 03:26:48 PM
Ramen + eggs makes an ugly but delicious omelette if she's got a stove to cook it on.

Mmm, even if you just fry an egg and throw it on top of the noodles, so gooodddd!  Add a little sour cream and it's even better lol.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Chelemar

I will recommend those to her.  My partner eats ramen noodles like that.  Have to say, it doesn't appeal to me. *grin*  But, as long as it does her, that's all that matters.

Yes, Oreo, that's a great idea.  Though, I think I will get those segmented paper plates they sell now.  We don't eat frozen TV dinners. Too expensive! Though we begged for them as kids. :) 

Oh, yeah mashed potato flakes, great idea.  And the instant rice.  :)

I think too, maybe we will go with frozen fruit.  As well as some home canned.  We are going to be canning apples and pairs in a few days, and we've done peaches so we can give her those.  They are not as sugary as store bought and great on many things.

Oreo

I used the divided plates too >.< the plastic ones.

Oniya

Tossing a handful of frozen veggies into ramen noodles is another way to liven them up.

Black Howling

Cutting up chicken lunch meat into the egg and ramen omlet works well too. Or roast beef, or whatever else goes well with it. Lunch meat rocks if you know how.