Gauging Interest - Star Wars Saga?

Started by Inerrant Lust, July 25, 2011, 02:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGlyphstone

my go-to site for downloads when I can't get a hardcopy is http://www.4shared.com. Look for PDFs uploaded by 'ryu-the-street-fighter', they're almost always of excellent quality and sometimes even hyperlinked/searchable.

kckolbe

Thanks Glyph.  I found Galaxy at War at a store today, but I'll check for the others.  By the way, armor *is* expensive.  I was hoping to take care of my units, but outfitting 7 people on 34k is harder than I thought it would be.  It looks like I am going to buy 3 used speeder bikes (3,600), 3 blaster rifles (3,000), 3 blaster pistols (1,500), 6 vibroblades (1,500), 6 padded flight suits (12,000...damn) and a 2-1B med droid (4,300) totaling 25,900 credits before com links, med packs, power packs, grenades, and tons more I am sure, not to mention stuff for me, not that I need much.

By the way, I read this on page 70 of Galaxy at War: "The Republic and Empire are wealthy and powerful enough to issue every clone trooper and stormtrooper the appropriate armor, so clone trooper or stormtrooper heroes can ignore the cost of armor when using the requisitioning system."  Does this mean that all 6 units get Stormtrooper armor (at 8k a piece) for free?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

We each have to provide for 6 troopers in addition to ourselves then?

kckolbe

We each have two squads, which I think have the troopers apiece.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

So we each have to fund and equip 12 troopers, in addition to our personal equipment, off a total of 34,000 credits?

kckolbe

Yes, but it sounds like their armor may be free, so it's not that bad.

Intro Thread

Inerrant Lust

Muse, I'm curious as to what Raiko's life as a Jedi was.  ;D If you intend to make Merryn her master than I'd gladly provide anything you need to know.

As for armor, it might just be that I have a fetish.  ::) ::) ::)

'Sides, it is very likely that Merryn will not remain mechanically on the same path as she is on now. Not that I know quite what to do with her mechanically. ;P

Take a look at the statblocks on pg. 175 of the KotOR campaign guide.

You won't have to worry about buying anything that they already have, which is;
Republic Army Light armor (+4 armor, +1 equipment), blaster rifle with bayonet, 2 frag grenades, comlink (encrypted), utility belt with medpac.

(When using grenades, the squad has 6 total, but will use 3 in any splash attack.)

kckolbe

Okay, I finally have both sheets finished.  The first is "magey" Ced, who is just as happy without the weight of a lightsaber at his hip and decent knowledge of both tactics and bureaucracy.  The second is Ced the ex-Matukai, more impressive physically with limited force powers, mainly those that radiate from within (such as convection).  He is pretty hard to hit in combat and does impressive damage with his fists.

Ced the mage is likely to stay back just behind the front line, blasting away.  Ex Matukai Ced will charge in up front and divert a little fire from his allies.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=316716

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=316994

Let me know which version complements your char concepts.

EDIT:  Just started reading the Jedi Academy Training Manual, and discovered some interesting lightsaber variants that I might use instead of going with unarmed combat.

Intro Thread

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: kckolbe on July 31, 2011, 04:03:48 PMCed the mage is likely to stay back just behind the front line, blasting away.  Ex Matukai Ced will charge in up front and divert a little fire from his allies.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=316716

SO not telling you how to play your character, but did you look at the different effects you'd get by shifting Ced's stats around so he had an 18 in Wis? Particularly in regards to Force Training? It would significantly affect the number of Force Powers per Feat used for Force Training.

Shaala is very much Guardian material, predominantly a melee Jedi w/o any sort of telekinetics.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

kckolbe

No worries Carni, as it is a valid point, but it just didn't fit the concept.  Besides, using one power effectively is more important than having more to choose from.  The +16 to Use the Force guarantees that any power will at least minimally succeed, with potential for considerable effects.  Is it safe to say you prefer him?

EDIT:  If I changed anything with him, it would likely be race.  Now that I have rules for more races, one might appeal.

Intro Thread

CarnivalOfTheGoat

Quote from: kckolbe on August 01, 2011, 06:42:36 AM
No worries Carni, as it is a valid point, but it just didn't fit the concept.  Besides, using one power effectively is more important than having more to choose from.  The +16 to Use the Force guarantees that any power will at least minimally succeed, with potential for considerable effects.  Is it safe to say you prefer him?

EDIT:  If I changed anything with him, it would likely be race.  Now that I have rules for more races, one might appeal.

It's hard to have any preference based on a stat build without knowing, you know, who-all will actually end up picked. :) But, well, background-wise, I will admit that based on the game concept I prefer 'jedi-X' to 'ex-Matukai', given how phenomenally rare Matukai seem to have been in Old Republic times (fifty-sixty is the only figure I saw when reading up on them, with a mention that some of them joined the Jedi in Luke Skywalker's time...Four thousand years later.), if only because of a degree of 'fit-in-ness' as it were, but that's really totally in IL's purview to say, not mine, and if he's cool with it, then it's cool!

As best I can explain my feelings, I do think there's a bit of a different flavor, in terms of 'group of Padawan and a Jedi' who are all members of a very isolated sort of society, learning to deal with the world around them, asopposed to 'group of Padawan and a Jedi and this other outsider guy' which ten turns it into 'part of the party are members of a very isolated sort of society, and one of the other members is a member of an isolated society that sortakinda impinges slightly in some ways on that', if that makes sense? It creates a different interaction element that's more of a limited divider in the group than a uniter. Kind of like a D&D oriental adventures group where the group has agreed to exclusively creating characters from within the OA books and the one player who really wants to bring along a European-fantasy paladin. It's not that it can't work. It's not that it's a problem, but it certainly does affect the 'vibe' of how the party functions in roleplay terms, IMHO.

My O/Os. My A/As.
Games I seek:
Savage Worlds of My Little Pony <- Just what it says. Free supplement for SW. (Or any other MLP RP!!! :D)
Eclipse Phase <- Posthuman grit SF, open source, downloadable from their web site. VERY deep worldbuilding.
Cold City <- Espionage meets the Lovecraftian supernatural. Allies in post-war Berlin chasing down the results of secret Nazi experiments
a|state <- Post-apocalyptic sort-of-steampunk, sort-of-high tech roleplay in a massive, decaying, broken-down city-state.

kckolbe

I should have explained the ex-Matukai a little better.  He's been in Jedi training for over half a decade, his Matukai trainer having died early on in his training.  Given how rare the Matukai were, finding a replacement trainer would be difficult at best.  Of course, I can always just make him a physically-oriented Jedi and leave out the Matukai aspect. 

EDIT: After thinking a bit more, I will just go with my first concept, Ced the mage.

Intro Thread

Muse

Looks like I'm about to be out of town 'til Wednesday, a fact that was poorly communicated to me 'til today. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

kckolbe

For a different type of character, I am also beginning to strongly consider a tinkerer type Jedi.  I *love* droids and other sci-fi technologies.

Intro Thread

kckolbe

So, it seems that mechanics can be used to repair or modify droids, and Use Computer can re-program them, but are there no rules for actually creating droids like there was in the previous system?

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

Dunno.

Here's my mechanics-only character sheet:
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=317571

Also a bit of a 'force mage', though my suite of Force-Attack powers will only come into play if I lose control of my Kinetic saber (which has a Force-activated trigger, so it can't be turned on or shut off by a non-Force Sensitive).

kckolbe

I noticed that multiclassing works differently in this game, and that when you choose your second class, you only gain one feat as opposed to all of them.

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

kckolbe

That means that Muse has one too many feats, and that if I multi-class I won't have proficiency with a lightsaber, which I am pretty much okay with, seeing as how I had no plans to use it.

Intro Thread

Inerrant Lust

Kay. Since I think I finally found out what I'm going to do with Merryn, I can focus on everyone else's char sheet. By the end of the week we should more or less be ready to go, eh?

Last word on the credits thing; 34,000 for everyone to spend on yourself or your two squads.

Homebrew so far;

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Kinetic Combat Talent Tree:
Instinctive Wielding: You may now apply talents and feats that would enhance or affect your wielded weapon(s) while using Kinetic Combat. You also receive a +5 bonus on Use The Force checks to maintain the power if you take damage.
Ranged Wielding: You may now wield and make attacks with ranged weapons via Kinetic Combat, as long as they can be wielded in one hand. Any penalties for ‘wielding’ a weapon in one hand (such as a blaster rifle) still apply when doing so, as do any non-proficiency penalties.
Relentless Wielding: You may now make a full attack with your wielded weapon(s) while maintaining Kinetic Combat, if you have feats that allow you to make multiple attacks in a turn (such as Double Attack, Triple Attack, or Dual Weapon Mastery). If you are wielding multiple weapons (either by use of the Improved Kinetic Combat Force Talent, or physically carrying a weapon), you may not make more attacks in a turn than your feats allow. You also recieve a +5 bonus on Use The Force checks to maintain the power if you take damage, which stacks with Instinctive Wielding (for a total of +10).
Required: Instinctive Wielding

New Feat; Revanchist
Prior to actual combat in the Mandalorian Wars, you have opted to train concurrently in officer candidacy school with Republic cadets, learning the organization and structure of the Republic military and a gaining a cursory knowledge of basic soldiering.
Benefit: You are automatically proficient with Light Armor and Pistols (to include rifles with retracted stocks)
Notes: This is a Jedi Bonus Feat

Jedi
Block and Deflect are combined into one talent. Lightsaber Weapons Proficiency is now a bonus feat.

As an aside, assume everything in Merryn's description block (Her history after joining the order, pretty much) is valid IC knowledge.

TheGlyphstone

Will there be periodic 'refreshes' of equipment/ammo? I.e., if I buy my squad an extra two grenades each, will they now have 4 grenades apiece at the beginning of a mission, or do they have 4 grenades period unless I spend more money to restock them?

(Incidentally, my second draft of the Kinetic talents, posted in-thread, had folded Relentless Wielding into Instinctive Wielding (now called Instinctive Kinetics), freeing a talent up for increasing the move speed/maximum range of kinetic weapons.)

Inerrant Lust

Sorry, I have to go to work in a bit and my brain is foggy.

Yes. Consumable items will be replenished. :P The 34,000 isn't a one time deal... it's more like a spending limit per mission. So you can hand stuff back in and get a refund for it, too.

kckolbe

I thought the 34k was a one-time initial budget for permanent gear, and that every other mission we'd receive a small amount for consumables or other purchases.  Starting over with personal/unit gear every mission seems odd.

Intro Thread

TheGlyphstone

Actually, it makes more sense to me that way - it's less a "spending account" and more of an actual requisition total...we're budgeted X amount by High Command for our operations, which could increase if we're repeatedly successful or decrease if we lose a lot of stuff in the field. Though that may be my Deathwatch roots showing, the first game I played without a D&D style wealth system.

Incidentally, I've modified my build slightly, taking one level of Soldier in place of a level of Jedi and giving up Lightsaber Specialization.

EDIT: Oh, and what do we personally consider 'standard issue'?

kckolbe

So we have 34k credits each, which we can spend.  Then we get another 34k for our second mission but have to give everything back first? 

Intro Thread