You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 07, 2016, 02:54:41 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Tattoo and Piercing Questions Answered!  (Read 3008 times)

Offline PavTopic starter

Re: Tattoo and Piercing Questions Answered!
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2011, 04:14:18 PM »
grdell, it sounds like you answered your own question!  A tattoo is very permanent.  While they can be removed (twice as painful and even more expensive than getting a tattoo in te first place), the best bet is to wait until you're 100% positive.
I can't preach, because working in a tattoo shop, shit happens when you get bored, but I always argue that it's best to wait, if you're unsure.

As far as how they'll look when I'm 70 or 80...   I'm of the mindset that if I even make it that far, I'll probably not give a crap as to what my tattoos are looking like.  I'll be old. 

Offline DiverseDesires

« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2011, 12:02:51 PM »
I read all this with a lot of interest, thank you so much for this. I'm going to be getting a tattoo in a couple of years (have to wait until after an operation) and I've a couple of questions, not sure if you'll know the first as I'm in the UK, but you mentioned the differences in training and going to a good, reliable and safe artist, how do I find that out? Do you have any recommendations for accreditation to check etc in UK? Whenever I pass a studio/shop, I always have to stop and look, can't wait to have mine especially as I have wanted it for such a long time, but I want to be safe and happy with the end result.

As an artist do you sometimes get sick of doing the same things? Or having to do just script? And what was your favourite tattoo, one you designed and created?

Offline PavTopic starter

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 02:41:55 PM »
That is a really, really important question DiverseDesires.  I'm glad you asked it!  Choosing an artist is one of the most important parts of the process.  When you walk into a shop, there's probably going to be lots of flash (tattoo artwork) up on the walls.  It is best to just ignore this.  It doesn't matter what art a shop can plaster up on the wall.  It matters what art they can put on your skin.  The first thing you should do when searching for an artist is look at their portfolio.  Every artist should have one.  No exceptions.  This will give you insight as to their strengths, weaknesses, and style.  Some artists are good at the old-school sailor stuff, while other lean toward photorealistic styles.  If you don't like what you see in the portfolio, then walk on out.  The second thing to look for in an artist (and a lot of people seem to overlook this) is their personality.  Now, while I know the artwork is the most important aspect, but you're going to be spending an hour, a few hours, maybe multiple sessions with this person as they permanently mark your body.  I can't count how many people I've asked about their tattoo, only to have one of the main parts of their story be about how horrible an attitude their artist had.  You don't want to be stuck in a chair while a smelly asshole constantly leers at your breasts and makes rude comments.  Getting a tattoo should be an enjoyable experience!

As an artist do you sometimes get sick of doing the same things? Or having to do just script? And what was your favourite tattoo, one you designed and created?

I definitely get sick of doing certain tattoos.  Some are just so cliche.  For example, "Live Laugh Love" is woefully overdone.  I do a lot of Chinese/Japanese/Korean kanji symbols on people who have no ties to the culture at all.  They can't read Chinese, and have no Chinese heritage, but they want the word beautiful/faith/peace/love/etc. in Chinese, because, well... they just do.
The worst, by far, is tribal.  Tribal tattoos are so god-awful.  Firstly, they mean nothing.  I like tattoos because they have meaning to me.  They are symbols.  Now, if you're in a tribe, great, your tattoos carry significant ancestral symbolism.  However, (and I know I keep bashing those lame-ass UFC fighters...) if you just want tribal tattoos because the other cage fighters have them, and you think they make you look tough, then get the hell out of my shop.  Secondly, they take FOR-EV-ER.  The designs are usually thick, and are usually just plain black.  Imagine painting a wall with a toothbrush.  That's what it's like tattooing tribal designs.  The only redeeming quality about tribal (at least for me, personally) is that I can charge a shit ton for it.  I have to.  If it's going to take up hours and hours of my day, keep me from doing other exciting, more interesting tattoos, AND give me carpal tunnel syndrome... I'm getting my due pay.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2011, 04:19:30 PM »
I'm always amused by the people that get a tattoo in Chinese/other ideographic language and they pick the wrong symbol.  ;D

Offline Kuroneko

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
I think meaning is highly personal.  One of my tattoos is in tribal style and actually means a great deal to me.  First, I drew it myself, so no one else will ever have it and second, it's all spirals, which have a great deal of spiritual significance to me. I guess you could call it tribal celtic, lol. I also got it to mark an important life event.

And Oniya, there have been some Asian artists that purposely ink the wrong symbol on non Asians.  One girl ended up with the kanji for general tso's chicken around her navel when she thought she was getting something goddess related.  I've also listened to artist Pat Fish go on about how she hates it when Asians get Celtic tattoos (her specialty) for the same reason - lack of connection to the culture. 

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2011, 08:00:04 PM »
That goes back to having an artist that you trust - as well as having the forethought to doing a bit of research on your own.  (Although, considering the relationship I have with the local Chinese food place, I'd probably recognize 'General Tso's Chicken'.)  :-)

Offline WhiteTigerForever

• Elliquiy's WTF
  • Dame
  • Seducer
  • Location: Germany;dom/dom story lover and teller;Story driven; Nature is moral absolution, no matter what you have done.
  • Fantasy Imagination Engineer
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2011, 07:52:21 PM »
OMG, certain tatoos on guys are soooo sexy, but I want a few too!  I want the tree of life on my back, a full colored mural... a white tiger on my right shoulder and a white wolf on my left shoulder.. and some more but they are soooo expensive!!! Atm I have 10 piercings... 9 in my ears, none gaged (spelling?) and 1 on the right side of my nose. 

I want the names of my children mixed in the branches of the tree and the roots to have God Goddess spelled in there...:D

I want a few other ones too...

Offline DiverseDesires

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 03:11:18 PM »
Thank you Pav, that was great info, much appreciated, I may pick your brains a little more when it comes to taking the plunge it's great to have someone so knowledgeable about it here on 'E'

Oniya the 'General Tso's Chicken' made me laugh so much!

I'm sorry to be boring, but I love script tattoos, but then generally I love typography and use a lot of text in my own art work, combing my love of both words, graphics, texture and colour and my first one will be just simple text, but something that has a personal double if not triple meaning and is very important to me even if it will seem perhaps lighthearted. Also, very few people will see it  ;D my secret  ;)

I also love Celtic art and symbols - the ancient more flowing spiral forms as well as the more known keys and knots. I've spent a great deal of time in Cornwall which is very dear to me and encountered lots of Celtic imagery from a young age. The other symbol/icon which has a very powerful effect on me is the image of the green man, so often hidden in our churches - and also the mystery surrounding them. Some images just connect at a deeper level I find, while others leave me cold even if I appreciate the art of them.

Pav are some colours harder to do? Or to be true, as it were? 

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 03:45:29 PM »
grdell, it sounds like you answered your own question!  A tattoo is very permanent.  While they can be removed (twice as painful and even more expensive than getting a tattoo in te first place), the best bet is to wait until you're 100% positive.
I can't preach, because working in a tattoo shop, shit happens when you get bored, but I always argue that it's best to wait, if you're unsure.

As far as how they'll look when I'm 70 or 80...   I'm of the mindset that if I even make it that far, I'll probably not give a crap as to what my tattoos are looking like.  I'll be old.

I was off surfing the news when I came across an article that reminded me of this.  Apparently, there's some 20-something who made the bright decision to get the word 'skinhead' tattooed in big, black-letter font - across his forehead.  It goes across the entire width and down to his eyebrows.  Needless to say, he's regretting it, has backed out of the culture, and is now wanting it removed.

Offline WhiteTigerForever

• Elliquiy's WTF
  • Dame
  • Seducer
  • Location: Germany;dom/dom story lover and teller;Story driven; Nature is moral absolution, no matter what you have done.
  • Fantasy Imagination Engineer
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »
Thank you Pav, that was great info, much appreciated, I may pick your brains a little more when it comes to taking the plunge it's great to have someone so knowledgeable about it here on 'E'

Oniya the 'General Tso's Chicken' made me laugh so much!

I'm sorry to be boring, but I love script tattoos, but then generally I love typography and use a lot of text in my own art work, combing my love of both words, graphics, texture and colour and my first one will be just simple text, but something that has a personal double if not triple meaning and is very important to me even if it will seem perhaps lighthearted. Also, very few people will see it  ;D my secret  ;)

I also love Celtic art and symbols - the ancient more flowing spiral forms as well as the more known keys and knots. I've spent a great deal of time in Cornwall which is very dear to me and encountered lots of Celtic imagery from a young age. The other symbol/icon which has a very powerful effect on me is the image of the green man, so often hidden in our churches - and also the mystery surrounding them. Some images just connect at a deeper level I find, while others leave me cold even if I appreciate the art of them.

*giggles loving the celtic mentioning of the green man*... the stag and ruler of the woods and the male symbol for fertility, in Gaul his name was Curnnunos... No spell can be done with out him or the trinity of a woman and the god and goddess...XD... Yes indeed, it goes way way back into our tribal civilizations and human roots.  ;)

Offline PavTopic starter

« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:43 PM »

Please, ask away!  I certainly don't mind your avatar popping up.  Three part answer incoming!

1)  First and foremost, what you probably care the most about-- colors as they pertain to the customer.  I'll start off by saying that you only want to choose colors that are lighter than your skin tone.  We get black people coming in, wanting red and yellow and all kinds of craziness.  It's not a racist thing, but a factual thing, if you want a color to show up well on your skin, then your skin can't be darker than that color.  Now, that's not to say the color won't be present at all, but it certainly won't be "true."  I absolutely love tattooing pale people.  The colors show up so vibrantly.
Also, there's not one color that hurts more than the others.  All colors will feel the same going in.  At least they should, if you have a decent artist, which brings me to part two...

2) Colors as they pertain to the artist!  I'll keep this short, as it shouldn't ever matter to a customer, but as artist, we really have to be careful with how we're putting in certain colors.  Yellows and reds in particular can be difficult to get into the skin.  If you're not careful and spend too much time trying to get them in, you can really destroy ("hamburger") that tissue and cause serious scabbing/scarring.

3) Colors as they pertain to laser removal.  Now, if you've done your homework, you shouldn't have to worry about this.  However, if you've made a mistake somewhere along the way and want to be rid of it, you might have to deal with this.  Different colors respond to different wavelengths of lasers, so depending on how colorful the tattoo you want removed is, you may have to undergo more or less sessions, depending.  Black is the easiest color to get rid of, whereas blues/greens are the most difficult.  Most artists say when it comes to tattoos, the darker the color is, the easier it is to remove, but that's not entirely accurate, and is a bit of a generalization.  If you're that interested, google will help you get a far more in-depth knowledge of laser removal than I'm prepared to go into, here.

Offline Jin

« Reply #36 on: August 07, 2011, 07:18:57 AM »
Pav,

I was reading over your thread and I was wondering about something myself.

Have you ever had a problem with putting a tattoo on a diabetic, more specifically a type 1 diabetic who is insulin dependent, or has it ever come up?

If so what Issues could present in this case?
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 07:20:32 AM by Jin »

Offline PavTopic starter

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2011, 02:37:06 AM »
Have you ever had a problem with putting a tattoo on a diabetic, more specifically a type 1 diabetic who is insulin dependent, or has it ever come up?

So sorry for the late reply, Jin!

Usually, getting tattooed with diabetes isn't an issue.  In fact, I've done more than a few tattoos on peoples' wrists that state they are a diabetic, so they have the tattoo rather than wearing the bracelet.

However, there are still some issues, depending on how advanced it is.  As I'm sure you know, bad diabetics can suffer from loss of feeling in their feet.  If a diabetic were to get tattooed on their foot/ankle and it were to get infected, they might not realize it.  Now... most of those diabetics are old farts, and even they are usually pretty good about checking their feet, but it's something to warn them about.

The biggest concern?  Passing out.  When someone is getting tattooed, their body undergoes stress, and stress can cause glucose levels to skyrocket and then crash, both of which can lead to a customer getting lightheaded or even going limp in my chair.  Usually it's quick.  They pass out, occasionally shake for a second or two, wake up, I remind them where they are, they get red-faced and embarrassed, sometimes they puke, I give them candy, they feel better, and we continue...  I usually keep a couple candy bars and soda pops on hand for such occasions, but a diabetic needs to be especially aware of the possibility of rapidly-changing blood sugar levels.

At my shop, we usually play it safe and make the customer get a note from their doctor.  In asking for it, their doctor will give them more patient-specific information, and we can keep a copy of the letter from their doc for our files.

Offline Anyalyss

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2011, 04:42:38 AM »
I have two tattoos so far, a little one behind my neck and another little one on my left wrist. Anyway, silly question, is Epidural forbidden for women with a tattoo on their lower back? or it's just a common myth?

Offline meikle

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2011, 06:50:06 AM »
How do you feel about facial tattoos and performing them?  Are they pretty rare for people to ask?

The only tattoos I've ever wanted would have been on my face but then I'd never get a job and I cry.

Offline Haloriel

• Original Beauty | Alluring Erudite | Perfervid Romanticist
  • Dame
  • Enchanter
  • Location: Ogling your gluteus maximus with a most respectful air, of course. One part devious.
  • Dance with me, darling. I'll show you the stars.
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2011, 07:17:23 AM »
I have two tattoos so far, a little one behind my neck and another little one on my left wrist. Anyway, silly question, is Epidural forbidden for women with a tattoo on their lower back? or it's just a common myth?

It has to do with having a tattoo that covers a very large area firstly, and if the affected skin is still healing.  The anaesthesiologist will try to insert the needle between areas where skin is not tattooed, for the risk of getting tattoo pigments inside the needle, which we do not want.  I hope that helps a little.  Now there is supposedly research having to do with the later development of cancer, however it is fairly controversial, if I recall correctly.

:)

In short, as long as you aren't running out and getting tattooed right before your EDD, or getting tattoos that cover the skin completely, all should be well. 

Offline PavTopic starter

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2011, 01:42:05 PM »
To add to Haloriel's great answer, most medical professionals dislike having to poke you over a tattoo, as it makes things difficult to see.  I have full sleeves on both arms and tattoos on the backs of my hands, and nurses hate trying to put IVs on me.  Thankfully, I'm a pretty healthy guy.

Meikle, to answer your question about facial tattoos, we're usually pretty hesitant to tattoo someone's face unless they are already heavily tattooed.  The same rule applies for hand and neck tattoos (except for back of the neck tattoos, where long hair can easily cover the ink).  Any time someone wants a tattoo in a highly visible place that won't be easily covered by professional attire, we make sure they are already pretty heavily tattooed.

Most people don't want anything to do with them, because of that.  I have had several kids come in, 18 years old, asking for me to tattoo their faces or throats.  I always turn them away.  The best ever was a kid who wanted "F-U-C-K  L-I-F-E" on his knuckles.  He was only fifteen, but his mom was willing to sign off for him.  I kicked both of those trashy asses out of my shop right then.

Any good artist would refuse something like that.  There are guys out there that are just looking to make a buck, and they'll tattoo anything a person wants, but in my shop, I tell my guys to be more responsible for their customers.  After all, the work we do reflects back on us.

Offline Oniya

• Oracle
  • Carnite
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2011, 02:09:12 PM »
Any time someone wants a tattoo in a highly visible place that won't be easily covered by professional attire, we make sure they are already pretty heavily tattooed.

I've seen a number of pictures of people with solid artwork done in such a manner that it covers the entire area that a full suit would cover, complete with a notch down the chest to allow for a light-colored shirt.

Offline PavTopic starter

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2011, 02:37:30 PM »
I've seen a number of pictures of people with solid artwork done in such a manner that it covers the entire area that a full suit would cover, complete with a notch down the chest to allow for a light-colored shirt.

Oh yes.  We have plenty of those come through the shop.  It's great to watch them undress to get tattooed.  Looks like a normal business guy walking in, but when he takes off his jacket and shirt to get tattooed, he looks like any other heavily tattooed guy, but in slacks and dress shoes!