You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 10:21:17 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: (WoW) Why the Alliance Hate and Why is the Horde so Popular?  (Read 40047 times)

Offline meikle

Re: (WoW) Why the Alliance Hate and Why is the Horde so Popular?
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2011, 04:39:03 AM »
idly going back to pandaren

http://tess2.uspto.gov/

search for 'mists' and check the first result

Offline Aiden

« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2011, 10:15:08 AM »
Blizzard is PISSED that was leaked, I feel sorry for the dumbass who is responsible for that leak.

I am happy as hell that the pandaren's will finally be appearing in the game!

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2011, 10:18:21 AM »
Blizzard is PISSED that was leaked, I feel sorry for the dumbass who is responsible for that leak.

I am happy as hell that the pandaren's will finally be appearing in the game!

Woof.. someone is BEYOND fired.. they're going to own the dudes grandkid's college trust fund.

I'm glad..odds are the Pandaren will be another NPC race though

Offline Aiden

« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2011, 10:21:29 AM »
I am happy to have them in the game, I know they started off as a joke but it will be sweet to see pandaria finally.

On a lighter note.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2011, 10:23:44 AM »
It's entirely possible they're registered it as an expansion for Warcraft 4 or something, or just to keep anyone else from taking it. If they ever do appear in WoW, it will unquestionably be as a noncombatant NPC race, for the whole China problem. WoTLK took forever to get released in China because of the cultural taboo against skeletons, and the national obsession with pandas is even stronger than that.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2011, 10:42:06 AM »
It's not unexpected, I mean look at what the folks who made City of Heroes had to do with the Fifth Column. They had to remove ALL Nazi associations to let the game be released in German (where it's illegal apparently)

I say that the Panderan should be let in but hey.. I'm not terribly PC. It's one thing to be considerate of others, it's another to totally avoid anything potentially confrontational.

Offline Anyalyss

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:27 AM »
As for the original thread question, it's easy, the horde has Blood Elves! *giggles*

I couldn't resist, they're my favourite :-)

Besides, ever since Dungeon Keeper, "It's Good to be Bad" so, there you go, main reason to hate the goody Alliance :P

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2011, 11:03:18 AM »
It's not unexpected, I mean look at what the folks who made City of Heroes had to do with the Fifth Column. They had to remove ALL Nazi associations to let the game be released in German (where it's illegal apparently)

I say that the Panderan should be let in but hey.. I'm not terribly PC. It's one thing to be considerate of others, it's another to totally avoid anything potentially confrontational.

It's PC, sure, but it's driven 100% by economics. Blizzard's game design policies are actively shaped by Chinese cultural mores, because it represents such a significant chunk of their international market. They got away with the Forsaken and the various skeletons of WotLK because it was (relatively) easy to art-render flesh over the exposed bones and re-release it that way. Panda(ren)s, though, would have to be relegated to a purely NPC role, and one impossible to attack/kill in the game (a neutral rep faction, most likely).

Offline meikle

« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2011, 05:51:37 PM »
for the whole China problem.

Someone's going to need to start providing citations because everything I can find says that there are no rules against putting pandas in videogames in china.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #184 on: August 05, 2011, 06:14:38 PM »
Someone's going to need to start providing citations because everything I can find says that there are no rules against putting pandas in videogames in china.

It's a cultural thing I think, like the skeletons, rather than an outright law like the Nazi symbols and Germany which is part of their legal system.

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #185 on: August 05, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »

It's not a law against putting pandas in videogames, it was supposedly a law against depicting the killing of pandas. Though now that you've prompted, it appears to be a lot more muddled than I realized:
http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/03/10/the-great-panda-debate/
http://www.wowhead.com/forums&topic=167032.2/how-cata-could-make-pandarens-playable-for-later

Quote from: WoWWiki
Another persistent rumor regarding their non-inclusion in the game is that there is a law in China prohibiting any depiction of violence against pandas, even anthropomorphic pandas, even in a video game. This rumor is, in fact, baseless. Not only does such a law not exist, but there is at least one Chinese MMO that does feature both PvP and a playable race of pandas.

During the discussion panel at Blizzcon 2009, it was stated that the Pandaren have not had an increased presence in the game due to legal issues with China.
So I get to season my dinner with some crow, but there's still 'unstated legal issues'. The discussion thread seemed to indicate China's biggest issue was their national mascot depicted in traditional Japanese outfits.

Offline CmdrRenegade

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2011, 09:49:20 PM »
I agree, seeing Fargo become an actual in game character is just awesome.

I did lose track of the comic, not sure how long it continued but I enjoyed it. I also liked one based on a tauren warrior, equinox I think.

Sadly, Fargo left Gamespy about 3 or 4 years ago.  Flintlocke didn't last past Burning Crusade if I remember correctly.  I loved Flintlocke's insanity too.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2011, 10:13:09 PM »
Sadly, Fargo left Gamespy about 3 or 4 years ago.  Flintlocke didn't last past Burning Crusade if I remember correctly.  I loved Flintlocke's insanity too.

Yeah.. but he's a GREAT quest giver. :D

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #188 on: August 12, 2011, 05:30:47 PM »
He shows up as part of the Twilight Highlands quest chain beginner, I think.  The reward near the end of it is his 'Chuckshooter' a green rifle.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2011, 06:26:55 PM »
He shows up as part of the Twilight Highlands quest chain beginner, I think.  The reward near the end of it is his 'Chuckshooter' a green rifle.

With the flavor text of 'this gun has been cleaned.. never'. Or such. I LOVE it.. It's one of the reason I have so many level 85 toons on the alliance side (not really but hey) who have opened up the twilight quests. He's go the 'fix' for the blimp circling the area. Shoot a 'Character Class' shot at the blimp. You get in the cannon..he shoots you at the blimp.. you blow it up.

Offline Aiden

« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2011, 06:32:47 PM »
They also brought in an awesome scope for Hunters, it shoots a "critter" at the enemy- makes a sound and has an animation which also improves a stat, it is pretty funny but annoying after a while.

Offline Saerrael

• ~~~Seraph ; In love~~~ Do you like what you see? Let me entertain ya ítill you scream.
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Location: You don't know how you took it You just know what you got Oh Lordy you've been stealing from the thieves And you got caught
  • Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »
They also brought in an awesome scope for Hunters, it shoots a "critter" at the enemy- makes a sound and has an animation which also improves a stat, it is pretty funny but annoying after a while.

This thing caused a few FL wipes, due to me laughing my ass off while I was supposed to be healing.
What can I say? It's funny as hell.

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2011, 07:18:51 PM »

what, pray tell, is this lovely bit of magic called?

Offline Aiden

Offline Saerrael

• ~~~Seraph ; In love~~~ Do you like what you see? Let me entertain ya ítill you scream.
  • Champion
  • Carnite
  • Location: You don't know how you took it You just know what you got Oh Lordy you've been stealing from the thieves And you got caught
  • Hold me, thrill me, kiss me, kill me.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 6
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2011, 07:29:32 PM »
*grins*

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2011, 07:39:56 PM »
Oh grand..NOW I have a reason to do the damn dailies

Offline Callie Del Noire

Offline Chris Brady

« Reply #197 on: August 13, 2011, 12:59:47 AM »
We're all going to hell...

Offline TheGlyphstone

« Reply #198 on: August 13, 2011, 08:26:25 AM »
"Fur is murder!"
"So's kicking your ass!"

Offline Callie Del Noire

« Reply #199 on: August 13, 2011, 11:26:57 AM »
My work here is done.. I've got folks reading. :D