Winter Chilled Steel {D&D 4e - Interest and Recruitment}

Started by Ershin, June 26, 2011, 10:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

Well, I would say you want a more balanced group. Defender/Leader/Striker at least. I've ran a game where a group didn't have a defender, and things got back. Since it seems we have 3 strikers, I can change my Human(Half orc) Ranger into a Fighter, a defender. We would still need a leader, but I would feel better knowing that we have a fighter amidst the ranks. I prefer transparency in what people are playing/doing mechanics wise personally, since I think it best we all know what the groups capable of in combat.

Oral addiction

I agree, having some balance to the party is probably a good thing.  I can also retract my striker and offer up one of my other characters.  I'll offer it to the group for feedback as to which they would rather see.  I have lots, although with varied levels of background story...

Human - Controller Wizard - Controller
Genasi - Sword Mage - Defender
Changling - Bard - Leader/ Stealth & Info gathering Expert
Human - Cleric - Leader/Healer

I can have an app with story ready for any of those characters in a day or so, as I have sheets already, I just have to finish their back ground stories.  Feel free to weigh in.  Thanks.

Marlow

I'm interested in this. Don't get enough 4e in my life, lol. I'm pretty much good with whatever role is required to fill out the group, my only question is would people have issues with me playing a female? I never RP females in D&D normally, so when I do PbP games I try and change it up a bit.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Oral addiction

@Marlow... I know it would not bother me in the slightest.  I enjoy anything well played and well written.

Ershin

Okay then, the first two weeks the ad was supposed to be open for are up tomorrow. This means that interested parties have one more week before the ad is outright closed, unless more time is requested by two or more people. If an insufficient number of recruits who submit character information in the formatted I requested at the bottom of the first post are obtained by the time of the ad's closing... I'm not sure what to do. Probably go on and fill out the ranks with player-controlled cohorts similar to those described in the DMG2? Because it would simply be terrible to waste all the creativity and effort that people put into this.

Ixy

I'm still interested, most certainly.  I'm sticking with the Warlock idea, just so we're all clear.

Katina Tarask

Requesting more time.  I have some stuff lined up, but I've been traveling and some of it's still being hammered out before I can put it to pen for you.

(Short version of the idea?  Sold my soul for, among other things, rulership of some city I've yet to make up, die, pay up and go to Hell, suffer, get ripped out of Hell a tattered damned soul bound to Ixy's character.)

Marlow

Thinking classic Control Wizard for me, looks like we could use a controller in the group.
I DO NOT CARE ABOUT OOC GENDER!!! NONE OF MY IDEA THREADS ARE FIRST-COME FIRST-SERVE!!!

Oral addiction

so by my reckoning we have a controller, a warlock striker, and a revenant ?? Class. So I think I'll go defender and throw my genasi sword mage out there.  I'll try to post his info tonight or tomorrow.

EvilBeast

I'm still thinking over character ideas, not sure what gender to play.

Black Howling

If you need another player, I'll go ahead and jump in. I've been tentative as the Eratta completely flies over my head. Just shoot at me what position is needed and I'll whip it up.

Revelation

If we have a defender i'm gonna stick with my ranger. I'll be cracking down on the sheet and questionnaire tonight.

Oral addiction

Here is the link to my sheet for the Swordmage (Defender).  I am still working up his background, etc, but this gives an idea what he looks like and functions like in a mechanics sort of way.  Background etc will be forthcoming as I complete it.

http://plothook.net/RPG/profiler/view.php?id=9026

Ershin

My apologies for my absence from the thread for a bit, real life caught up with me for a bit.

I just have to say, wow. So far, everyone who's submitted a character has really put a lot of work into them, I just hope when all's said and done I can live up to everything you've put forward and incorporate all the varied little personal plot threads you've all provided into the story in a tasteful manner, and that the adventure itself doesn't turn out too generic. You've all thrown down the gauntlet, and now I have to attempt to out-do you, or at the very least live up to what you've presented.

Three days remain until my initial, four people have risen above posting interest and have submitted their characters including detailed backgrounds and/or sheets. I would be happy, proud to take these wondrous persons by themselves, but I still wish to give those of you who have so far expressed interest a chance.
So once again, extensions; would you like them?

Ershin

Righty-o.

We've now reached the end of the original period of recruitment, with entries from Ixy, Katina Tarask, Changingsaint and Oral Addiction, with The Hanged Man initially providing a sheet then dropping out.

I'd be willing to keep the ad open for another brief moment should the others who expressed interest wish to provide an entry, those being EvilBeast, Isengrad, Marlow and Black Howling. If you're still interested, please speak up, as I said it's not first come first serve, and even if only one of you still is, there's still an open slot.

However, should a unanimous decision be reached between those who have submitted an entry to simply get on with it, the ad will be closed to new participants and instead be used for party discussion, should any of you wish to present your backgrounds, link them, remain separate, whatever, and see how best to build your characters mechanically, again separately or making them in such a way as to combine tricks.

When a consensus has been reached on the finality of your characters, both story and mechanics wise, the ad shall be locked and threads created for Characters and World Information (which shall be updated as the story progresses), Out of Character Chatter (because you can't be ON all the time) and of course, The Plot.

I'd like to take this time to thank each of you that have shown interest and taken the time to present something wondrous, and simply not to worry if you're all a little... focused on Striking. I said I'd let you make whatever you want, whatever you'd have most fun with, and I'm not going back on my word now.

Marlow

I've been busy with IRL stuff at the moment, but I'm still interested in joining. I can get the mechanics for my character all finished and send it to you then work on background fluff while we go?

Revelation

So we lack a single non striker in the group? Heh.

Well, I can easily switch my characters class from Ranger to Fighter. The concept would be the same, just the results of his history would be different.That would give us a solid front line, at least.

Marlow

Quote from: Changingsaint on July 18, 2011, 01:59:42 PM
So we lack a single non striker in the group? Heh.

Well, I can easily switch my characters class from Ranger to Fighter. The concept would be the same, just the results of his history would be different.That would give us a solid front line, at least.
I'm making a stock Control Wizard.

Ershin

Quote from: Marlow on July 18, 2011, 01:51:21 PM
I've been busy with IRL stuff at the moment, but I'm still interested in joining. I can get the mechanics for my character all finished and send it to you then work on background fluff while we go?

Hmm... I would generally like a bit of information on the character, even if it's only a brief concept of what you might like it to play as. I can empathise with being busy with IRL situations however, they can be a huge pain that can keep you away from writing but they're much more important. Take your time, make a character you'd want to stick with, feel free to paint it as wide or fine as you wish. I'm sure your fellow applicants/players will be understanding of your predicament.

Oh! I forgot. Since we're close to the end, may I ask those who have sent me character backgrounds through private messages to post them here please? It'll give a good chance to bounce ideas around as to whether or not you may have worked together in the past, should any of you wish to have done so, or how much you might have revealed to any other given character if you do know each other from prior exploits. If group consensus is that this is a bad idea, I'll favour majority rule and rescind this thought.

People have also been having trouble with that bloody template I put up on the end of the first post, so don't worry about using it. It's probably the table it's in doing all the damage, now that I think of it... Maybe because PMs format things differently (because they do, from experience)? Who knows. You can forget about the spoiler boxes for now if you wish and just use the headings.
(Fucking BBCode, how does it work?)

Black Howling

I was sorta waiting on mine after I asked to see what might be needed since you had mentioned that thongs were looking like striker city. I'll probably make a support character then, as we have others stepping up for the defender role. Let me see what I can manage. I have been time strapped though, and need to go over your setting detail again before I can make a character. I'll send you the details when I get them up, but don't let me hold things up.

Katina Tarask

It's not a global catastrophe to have an all-striker party.  In 4e, it is not absolutely vital to have your roles covered, and it makes fights faster anyways.  No need to force ourselves against the trend.  (Hell, I'd rather it be encouraged so that come the end of things, we still have an all-striker party.)

Character:
  • Knave / Ageless (30) / Damned Soul:

• "Description"

Knave is a strange creature.  To get a glimpse at her beneath her robes, one would think her a floating face in a sea of black; a pale, gentle face at that, white as a ghost paired with blood-red lips, as if wearing a thick layer of makeup, all graced with two big, black, bottomless eyes that suck in the souls of all who gaze upon her.

While normally wrapped in many layers of fine silks, exposing only as much hair as she please and a mask little different from her true face, if one were to gaze beneath at the shadowy cloud around her body, one would eventually discern a withered, skeletal creature, little more than a collection of bleached bones.

When she feeds, however- be it upon mortal blood or life force or strong emotions, or even just the touch of one with strong magic- the black mist gathers, giving life to the creature it enshrouds until it's gone, leaving behind a pale, petite young woman with soft, ghost-white flesh and modest curves.

She walks about huddled over, face-down, diminishing herself beneath her tiny frame.  She always tries to stay off to the side in groups, forgotten, and rarely looks at those she's speaking to.

In demeanor, she tends towards reserved silence.  The magnitude of her own failures have broken her, and she tends towards restraint in how she acts upon the world.  As often as not, her words are warnings of caution and predictions of failure, usually unwelcome.

• "Background"
    Born Lady Liandra of the Golden Vale, the creature known as Knave was once the third born of the Marquis of Golden Vale, a city at the edge of Lyonesse rich in precious metals and gems, one of the wealthiest in the city.

Though it was clear that she would never be successor- she lacked her little sister's shrewd intellect and her eldest brother's commanding presence, or even her elder sister's grace and beauty- she was raised in absolute luxury, wanting for nothing, expected to do nothing but be pampered and then die in obscurity, or maybe get married off on the off chance they could line up something worth bothering with.  She grew up in a world decaying under the weight of its own decadence and treachery, spoiled and incompetent.  A spoiled, useless girl.

A perfect target.

Such a foul place drew all manner of dark spirits to whisper sweet lies into the courtiers' ears, to feast on their perversions, to make the place their home and turn it into a foothold into the world, until it became fit for a much more powerful creature.  A duchess of lust and pride and hunger who called herself All came into the court, and began speaking to Liandra in her dreams.

Her little sister was wise.  By listening to All, she made her seem the fool.  Her eldest brother was commanding, but by speaking All's words, she made him seem weak and foolish.  Her elder sister was beautiful, but by embracing All, she made her look as a hag next to her glory.

And All asked for so little.  A small place in the girl's heart, and in her mind.  A moment in her body, to enjoy the pleasures of the material world, the slightest influence, that All might further help her ward.  Small costs for another step towards glory and power; with the might of All, Liandra became marquess herself, having made herself declared heir apparent before removing her mother from the equation, and with her leadership, her kingdom prospered as never before beneath a strong leader who had unified the court.  She had the love and support of her people, and she even had ambitions to become the very queen of the land, except there was one problem.

She had given an inch here, an inch there, and now, All was not a guest in Liandra's mind.  It was All's mind now.  And All's heart and All's body, and even All's soul.  And All had no use for a spoiled little girl sullying her glory, holding her back; the girl was cast out, sent into the depths of Hell to be turned into a food source, gorged on the life and emotions of others that she might convert it into nectar for demons.

The years that followed are a haze; constant agony, ebbing and waning, spiked with instances of absolute pleasure to make it all that much worse.  Even her past as a human is a blur, many of her memories stripped away as unnecessary, leaving only enough to know the depths of her shame, to know that she truly deserved to be there.  Even her name was lost, forever leaving her as simply Knave, with no choice but to accept her eternity.

And then, she was ripped away.  Like when she was cast into the pit, she was lifted out, called to the world of the living.  She felt a body around her for an instant, before being rejected into the air, once more a creature unto herself in the mortal world.  A bizarre, inhuman creature, but one not in Hell.  Yet her bonds remained, leaving her in the service of some strange dark-skinned elven mage.

It is an improvement, even if she still must obey.

• "Four Aspects"

1) Knave is a foolish girl who sold her body and her soul to a demon, giving it a foothold in our world and damning herself for all eternity, were she not rescued from her just fate and put in the hands of a mortal mistress.

2) Knave seeks salvation.  Failing that, she seeks to keep others from being consumed as she was, that they may not share her fate.

3) Before her damnation, Knave had risen to the status of a beloved marquess of Lyonesse's most oppulent march.  And then the demon who helped her do it ousted her from her own body and took the reigns of her homeland.  Perhaps fate will give her the chance to return home before the demon in her skin makes her move for the throne.

4) Knave will not willingly sit by while another repeats her mistakes.  If ordered to, however, she may have no choice.

• "Home"
    The Golden Vale rests at the edge of Lyonesse, a small realm blessed with incredible wealth in the form of some of the world's richest deposits of precious metals and gems.

With that wealth, however, comes those who crave it, and the march has a long and bloody history of dirty politics, assassination, blackmail and betrayal that often threatened the ability of the mines to produce at all.

Five years ago, the marquess passed away and was succeeded by her middle daughter, Liandra.  Brilliant, beautiful and wise, the new marquess managed to snuff out the old ways within a year, unifying the courts and guiding the march's wealth sagely, turning the land of stagnant gold into a great center of culture and study.

In the recent war, Liandra has openly endorsed the Emperor's son, her funding making her one of his strongest supporters, and many suspect she seeks his hand after the war that she may join him on the throne.

Marlow

Oh I can come up with a basic profile fine, jut the finer bits will take some time.

Revelation

Eh, I wouldn't say thats the case. I've been in all striker parties, and it absolutely SUCKS not to have a defender and a leader. 'Fights' go by quicker because TPK's happen pretty often if you have no way to heal, or no way to take the heat off the group :p. Now, this is my character. I had him pegged as a ranger, but I can happily switch him to fighter (Theres a certain build for fighters that i've been dying to try.)

Anyway, my character...

• Gale / 21 / Human:

• Description
    Gale is a human male who stands at a few inches over six feet, with a lean athletic build. His hair is a sandy blonde in color, tied back behind his head, and his eyes are hazel in their hue. In his young twenties, he wears durable and heavy clothing usually, with a penchant for making sure he's kept warm. he does have some scars, mostly on his arms or shoulders, and are mostly kept covered. He wears heavy leather armors, and his weapons of choice are a pair of well made swords, which despite their length and weight he wields with one hand each
  • Background

Gale was born to a Lyonesian family of wandering merchants who attempted to ply their trade in between the empire and the land of Aesir. Gale traveled with them when he was old enough, helping to sell and hawk wares. Unfortunately, his life was not destined to be so easy, as when he was eleven years old the caravan was attacked by giants who roamed the trading routes and committed acts of robbery and vandalism. Though the caravan guards put up a good defense, they were put to the blade. Gales parents hid him, but before they could hide as well, they were slain. Gale hid as he heard his parents slain, the giants meandering off after taking the most obvious goods.

He may have easily died in the frozen lands of Aesir, but a group of natives heard the sounds of battle, and quickly moved to investigate. While searching the remains, they were beset upon by a half frozen Gale, now armed with a knife. The boy was subdued easily after collapsing. Considering the boys bravery, and that he was the only survivor, the Aesir carried him back to their village. When he woke, Gale realized the situation... His family was dead, and the Aesir were more then happy to let him live along with them... Assuming he could live in the harsh climate and plow the fields.

So, thats what Gale initially sought to do once he had grieved. Day after day, he woke up early only to do backbreaking work on frozen fields. He grew strong, building his strength as he lived a different life amongst strange folk. He was not as durable as the dwarves and the goliath, and he did not have their sheer strength at first, so he often went back to his bed exhausted and tired. But he had other strengths. Gale proved to be nimble, agile, and stubborn as the years went on. He was becoming a young man, and he even had a small home for himself by the time he was seventeen. He might have lived a decent life as a farmer, if it weren't for a bet... During a 'friendly' competition/games with another village, some of the goliath warriors got to drinking, and one of the goliaths insulted Gale, claiming that he was a 'weak human farmboy', and said that Gale would be easy to beat in a fight.

Gale was enraged, but somewhat calm... he challenged the goliath to a fight with wooden weapons. The drunken goliath happily accepted, thinking it an easy fight... Once they were armed however, Gale rushed the warrior, going into a torrent of strikes and assaults with a practice sword. The fight ended quickly, with both combatants bruised, battered, and beaten... But Gale was the one who was still standing... Barely. He surprised his village with his anger, and with his strength. Farming was no longer suited for him as the militia sought to train Gale. He proved himself with a mixture of strength and agility once again, picking up two weapons and learning how to fight with them as easily as a Goliath fought with a mighty warhammer. He learned how to hunt and track, and quickly became known for his ferocious fighting style over the years. He had become a true adult, and his skill with fighting had earned him respect amongst some Aesir.

On his twentieth birthday, Gale left the village. He was a stranger, a foreigner. Many Aesir considered him kin from a different family, but Gale still knew he would never be truly accepted, and left to find somewhere that he could find a proper place in...

• Four Aspects

Defining Aspect: Gale follows the trope of 'Adopted by a different race/culture'. He is still a Lyonesian, but he also thinks quite a bit like an Aesir at times. Its a culture class, with him being a Lyonesian human with as much strength and prowess in battle as a Goliath warrior.

Who is he: A human who seeks to find acceptance among others, Gale is a loyal man who sees the value of comradery and fighting alongside others. He believes its the strongs duty to protect the weak, but not to shelter and coddle them because they need to grow and fight for themselves in time. He still holds anger in his heart for losing his family, so he wants to make sure he can help others and prevent the death of innocent peoples.

What does he do: As a ranger, Gale is an aggressive melee fighter who can sometimes be seen as cocky in battle against his enemies. Even then, he can be surprisingly generous when he helpes others. His other skills include knowledge of the wilderness and underground, as well as being a tracker.

What makes him unique: Hopefully all of the above!

Ambition: Gale seeks to find some form of acceptance from others. He's also a mercenary, so he's a bit of a gloryhound at times and enjoys having money, be it just to flash it around, or enjoy the finer things in life. Eventually, his greatest goal would be to settle down and raise a family with a lovely wife. Thats his biggest goal of all. (And is something I would love to pursue IC actively if it can be discussed)

Triumph: His greatest triumph would be his first fight. Almost positive that he had dislocated a shoulder just trying to hit the goliath on the head, that was when he had shown the Aesir that he was not some weak human, and that he was not going to let others bully him around because they're bigger or stronger then him. Gale has always enjoyed proving others wrong about himself, and will always seek to overcome insurmountable odds.

Conviction: Gale does have morals and standards. He does not like killing women and tries to avoid it, going so far as to knock them out, but not kill them should he have to fight them. He will not lay a hand on children to harm them, and he feels terrible if he otherwise upsets or harms them. If he sees others suffering because of poverty, he will likewise also give them some coin, but only enough to help them get on their feet and let them make their own wealth.

• Home

Gales adopted village is Alesund. Alesund was a somewhat large village of mostly Goliaths/dwarves, and is one of many villages in the region. Its somewhat on the border between Aesir and the Lyonese empire, and is primarily known for being the home of many farmers. Of course, it has an active militia thanks to being so close to the border, as well as needing to worry about marauding giants.

Oral addiction

For the record... My character is a defender... Not a striker.  I had originally sent a striker via PM when this thread first started it but quickly changed to a swordmage.  I will be moving all of my character's info here a little later today so that it is all visible without having to open the link in my post that opens my character sheet.

Oral addiction

• Name: Vatra Voda / Age: 22 / Race: Genasi (Cindersoul/Firesoul)

• "Description"
    Vatra is tall and well muscled with dark grey, almost black skin.  His body appears to be heavily tattooed with markings that are the color of flame and his eyes seem to flicker and burn with the same fire, alluding to the fire soul that burns beneath the cool exterior of cinder.

Background

Growing up in a small village of other Genasi in the far north-west potion of the country Vatra Voda had a simple childhood.  He learned the ways to take care of his family and to serve the greater good of the house.  His father, a fire soul Gensai, had a hot temper, and often reacted badly when Vatra or his mother did not please his father.  Vatra grew to know pain of his punishments, but also grew to realize that pain was temporary and by focusing on other things in the moment pain could be consciously locked away.  In learning such things he grew without fear of pain, but also learned to hate it and refused to allow it to happen to anyone else.  At school he grew to be known as a trouble maker and brawler, getting into fights regularly, winning more than he lost, even against bigger opponents, or groups of other children.  No one bothered to see that in each instance he fought to protect someone weaker then he; someone who was unable to defend themselves... or to accept the pain that fighting brought with it.  Voda's father, a leader within the town militia was known for his battle prowess and fiery temper more than anything else.  He never wanted to know why Vatra fought, only that it was an embarrassment to him that he could not control his own son.  He took it upon himself to further Vatra's education by instructing him in the way of the sword.  His lessons were often painful and without mercy as he battered Vatra nightly as a way to "teach" him discipline.

Intelligent and diligent to his studies Vatra grew in his ability to think and puzzle out solutions where others were unable.  In his 16th year he was apprenticed to the village mage to learn the ways of the arcane against his father’s wishes, but at the behest of the village elders.  Through applying his trademark tenacity to his studies he quickly began mastering not only simple spells but beginning to understand the very inner secrets of the weave and how magic was knitted together.  Yet everyday when he would arrive home he would find his father waiting in the training yard of their home. 

One night, as he approached the family home, mentally preparing himself for the beating he would take at his father's hands, and while he thought of what he could do to prevent it he heard shouting from the house.  Running to find out what was wrong he could hear his father bellowing at his mother, and then between loud screams he heard his father's blows as they struck his mother, again and again.  Bursting into the house, sword in hand he rushed his father, swinging in blind hatred for the man that had caused so much pain. Unfortunately his father's sword was in his hand already and he easily parried the blows.  Turning to press his attack he tried to force Vatra from his mother's side.  He would not move, however.  It was then that Vatra began to feel the magic of his arcane studies begin to ebb and flow through his sword arm.  With measured strokes he began backing away from his mother's unmoving form, and out the door.  Once in the training yard he faced up to his father again and his grey eyes came to life, flickering with dancing shades of orange and red flame.  His father came on and Vatra swung his sword at him, channeling magic into the blade.  As it struck it burst into flame, searing his father's armor.  Then raising his hand he channeled a burst of sheer arcane force to pound into his opponent, the man that he now hated more than anyone else.  The force threw his father from his feet and back to the very steps of the house.  Knowing that something had changed, and that he could no longer win this fight the man bellowed, but instead of charging Vatra he turned and charged into the house in an attempt to cause as much pain as he could, charging for the fallen woman to strike her down and cause Vatra's loss to be complete.  Without knowing exactly how, Vatra went deep into himself, surrounded by the very weave of magic he now controlled, and stepped towards the house... and in one step he stood between his father and mother; sword raised, and watched the shock in his father's eyes as he saw Vatra materialize in front of him.  He saw the further shock and pain when Vatra sunk the blade of his sword into his father’s chest, forever quelling the fire of his father's anger.

Voda's mother had lived; not because of Vatra's mastery of sword or magic, but because of the sheer force of his will and his resolve to defend those that he loved; those that could not defend themselves.  Vatra was offered to replace his father in the town guard, but he refused.  Instead he chose to travel the land in search of new challenges, and new battles to fight against those that would oppress the ragged and weak.

Four Aspects

Who is Vatra Voda and what does he do?  A swordmage and defender of the weak.  While neither the best arcanist or sword master he has made a living of combining the two and gravitating towards those people or places that need to be defended.  He excels at interposing himself between an opponent and his party and taking the punishment meant for others, although he also excels at sloughing of that punishment and turning it back on his opponent. 
    What makes him unique is his back ground and duality.  He is a Cindersoul Genasi, which desires to quell the power of an enemy and to make the world around them a more steady and peaceful place.  In contrast, along with his ancestral blade he has also inherited his father’s fire soul, which he struggles to keep in check, allowing it to burn only in times of great need.

Ambition – Simply to make the world a better place than it was when he came into it.  To stand for the weak and to bring down the unjust.

The greatest triumph Voda had was the day that he freed himself and his mother from the torment and tyranny of his father.

Conviction – All things are permissible to a point so long as they do not bring harm to the innocent.  However, if you use your position or strength to bring harm to those who can not prevent you from doing so he will take issue with you… at the point of his sword.

Home

A small village in a wooded valley between the mountains that border the Kingdoms of Aesir and the Empire of Lyonesse.  The village of Vandass Reach is a small community, mostly made up of farmers and hunters that feed and provide for the town’s militia, and Dwarven miners who work the nearby mountains to produce ore for the Allfather’s forge.  The local militia is charged with the protection of the South-West borders of the kingdom from any one whom would choose to try and enter through the mountain passes with any show of force. In addition to the small military training ground to keep the soldiers fit for battle there is a small branch of a mage’s guild that helps to provide magical support to the militia should the need arise, and they teach those of arcane aptitude to help pass the time.