News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Any Ideas

Started by Eranil Morathim, June 26, 2011, 09:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eranil Morathim

Ok so apparently either me or the other half managed to pick up a virus or something somewhere. and now all of my security features are blocked. I tried going into my firewall settings to allow a program and couldn't. An XPspyware window pops up and says my computer is infected. I'm noticing most of the stuff it says in infected seems to by my security stuff. Any ideas?

HairyHeretic

Have you tried googling the name of the program? If it's a (well) known one, there are likely removal instructions already online.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Eranil Morathim

i don't even know what it is or where it came from. I'm not one of the smarter people when it comes to getting to in depth with computers either, so that probably doesn't help matters any. All I know is it's blocking all of my security features so I can't do anything. already tried mycleanpc, blocked, service provider's antivirus, blocked. i can't even go into my XP security settings.

HairyHeretic

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=94202.0

There are a few anti malware tools on there. They might be of use to you if you are able to reach them.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

GothicFires

what is the name of the program telling you that your computer is infected? From what you have described so far it sounds like this http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-win-7-antispyware-2011 (name changes based on operating system). I just did system restores on my computer when i got it (twice) but then I'm using windows 7.
looking for new games
discord: Agara#3507

Oniya

First off, 'mycleanpc' is nothing but nag-ware.  So is 'finallyfaster'.

You might have to get someone (with a clean computer) to make you a bootable CD with something like MalwareBytes on it.  See if you can boot into safe-mode (hold down F8 while starting, then select 'Safe Mode' from the options that it gives you) and try running your anti-virus/anti-malware software in that state.  Use the boot-scan option on whatever cleaning program you're using, as the critter you're working with tends to load into memory along with the operating system (which is how it's blocking your security software).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

NileGoddess

I had a similar experience with a virus like that. If you still have internet access, I would recommend downloading Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. If you are able to get it installed and run it, that should be the start of fixing your problems. However, what you have might try to block it, and I'm not sure how to work around that.

Eranil Morathim

thanks for the ideas folks. i'll look through them closer and see what i can do. we just figured out how to get online again. if nothing else a lady i work with's husband is a computer tech so i could have him take care of it too maybe.