You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 04, 2016, 06:20:44 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Crime rates down in the US, linked to Video games.  (Read 531 times)

Offline WolfyTopic starter

Crime rates down in the US, linked to Video games.
« on: June 21, 2011, 10:52:50 PM »
http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1804959

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/111191-Less-Crime-in-U-S-Thanks-to-Videogames

Apparently, researchers have found that Violent (And Non Violent) Video games have lead to a decrease in crime rates in America.

Thoughts, oh Elli of Quiys?

Offline Pumpkin Seeds

Re: Crime rates down in the US, linked to Video games.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:34 AM »
I have serious doubts that video games can be linked to an overall decrease in violent crime.  Despite media pressure, crime in the United States has had a downward trend for some time now.  Making a point of any specific cause would be near impossible.  Just as video game enthusiasts make the claim that video games cannot be linked to violent behavior, I doubt there is much information to link them to the opposite.  Simply too many variables.

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:21:18 AM »
Mr. Oniya tells me that rookie football (American) players are often told to get the latest gaming system and some games to play instead of going out and partying. *shrug*  Getting bored young people busy doing something legal is very likely to keep them away from doing things that are illegal.

Offline Malefique

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 01:48:40 PM »
I'm always wary of statistics.  Crime was supposed to have dropped in my own home town last quarter, but I saw just as much going on as before; the reason for the drop was the police had decided to reclassify some things as anti-social behaviour instead of crime, so on paper they had a success - in practice they had a failure.  Lies, damn lies and statistics...

Offline Jeramiahh

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 10:24:43 PM »
One of my favorite examples of 'how statistics can be misleading' came from one of my Psych classes, a few years ago: Telephones are related to homicide rates. You see, as the number of telephone poles in an area increases, so does the homicide rate, therefore, they must clearly be linked, right? Well, yeah... by a third variable, the increasing population density, not some sort of strange murder-waves coming from the telephone poles. =P

Offline Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 10:30:50 PM »
One of my favorite examples of 'how statistics can be misleading' came from one of my Psych classes, a few years ago: Telephones are related to homicide rates. You see, as the number of telephone poles in an area increases, so does the homicide rate, therefore, they must clearly be linked, right? Well, yeah... by a third variable, the increasing population density, not some sort of strange murder-waves coming from the telephone poles. =P

So, if we switch to buried telephone cables, crime rates will go down?  ;D