You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 09, 2016, 01:37:55 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Want to marry?  (Read 3353 times)

Offline BCdan

Re: Want to marry?
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 02:21:21 PM »
This next decade is going to be interesting.  I am hoping that California will get it legalized along with a lot of other states. 

Offline shurocloud

« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2011, 05:47:14 PM »
That's just so wrong. You can marry your cousin but not your life partner. There is no good excuse for that other than fear and post societal ignorance.

Offline phoenyx

• We are sometimes taken into troubled waters, not to be drowned, but to be cleansed.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Location: Wandering the Dark, poking into the nooks and crannies...
  • Child of Chaos
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2011, 09:36:36 PM »
I believe at one point California did leagalize it, then took it back. I remember when I lived out there a big tado about it... Pictures are interesting.

Personally, i think the institution of marriage is a Man/Religious thing. The Goddess and the God do not care if you have some stupid piece of paper. As long as you are true to each other in heart and soul, that is what matters.

Online Oniya

• StoreHouse of Useless Trivia
  • Oracle
  • Carnite
  • Location: Just bouncing through. Hi! City of Roses, Pennsylvania
  • One bad Motokifuka. Also cute and FLUFFY!
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2011, 09:49:57 PM »
I believe at one point California did leagalize it, then took it back. I remember when I lived out there a big tado about it... Pictures are interesting.

That would be the whole 'Prop 8' to-do.  There was a lot of advertising against it done by the LDS, and some supporters were concerned about a group from out-of-state (i.e., Utah) influencing a state issue.

Offline Malefique

« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2011, 07:24:40 AM »
I think the two issues are connected, simply because both are instances of political interference in the personal life choices of the responsible individual.  Yes, marriage between cousins carries some risks of genetic disease.  But so does marriage between persons of African ancestry - sickle cell anaemia, to be exact; and between persons of mediterranean ancestry, in the form of thalassaemia.  And no state would dare ban marriage between persons of those ethnic groups on the basis of the potential medical consequences for the offspring.  I believe marriage (if you really feel the need of a formal document or ceremony and you live in a country where that is required for full recognition of your partnership) should be allowed between any consenting adults (18+, that is; under that age, while you may want sex and understand the consquences, you should not be allowed for your own sake to sign to a formal commitment of that kind) who are compos mentis and not direct kin like siblings or parents.  The genetic issues should be left to blood testing and medical advice, not to proponents of doctrine.

Offline phoenyx

• We are sometimes taken into troubled waters, not to be drowned, but to be cleansed.
  • Lady
  • Enchanter
  • Location: Wandering the Dark, poking into the nooks and crannies...
  • Child of Chaos
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »
That would be the whole 'Prop 8' to-do.  There was a lot of advertising against it done by the LDS, and some supporters were concerned about a group from out-of-state (i.e., Utah) influencing a state issue.
ah yes... Prop 8... i remember now. thanks Oniya