Merging threads?

Started by Oniya, April 19, 2011, 11:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Is there a reason that unrelated threads would be merged?  I've seen this happen with a couple of people (in one case I had specifically stayed away from the other threads that got merged into the one I had commented in, and in another I had commented in both of the merged threads and got caught off guard by reading a 'response' that had nothing to do with the conversation I thought I was returning to.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Neroon

Basically, the threads in these cases, if my guess is right as to which threads you're referring, are by the same people, who would otherwise disproportionately dominate the boards such as Off Topic and B&U with lots of short threads and other members' threads were being pushed onto the second board disproportionately quickly. So the decision was taken to merge such threads together by author, when a person came close to having being the author of nearly every thread on the top page of a particular board.

Hope that explains things.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Trieste

We have had a couple authors who have been incredibly prolific in certain boards (off topic, B&U, G&C) whose threads were merged and the author PMed about it. What Neroon said, and:

Similarly, if two threads by the same author are posted in the intro board, the system merges the threads.

If, in your case, the originating author wasn't the same and the subjects of the threads were completely different, I'm not sure what it'd be about. You'd have to PM me specifics for that one.