You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 02, 2016, 12:05:13 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!  (Read 606 times)

Offline HairyHereticTopic starter

• Lei varai barbu - The true bearded one
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • And the Scorpion said "Little frog .. I can swim."
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
The nature of Monkey was ... irrepressible!
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:17:21 AM »
http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/15-07/pl_music

When Damon Albarn was tapped by France's Théâtre du Châtelet to compose the music for Monkey: Journey to the West, the Gorillaz frontman jumped on the opportunity like a simian on Samsonite. ("My next band will be called the Baboons," he jokes.)

Based on a 16th-century Chinese fable and a '70s Japanese TV show, the high-concept opera chronicles a globe-trotting primate's evolution from street chimp to enlightened hero. Monkey's international cast of singers, circus acrobats, and martial artists is accompanied by a full orchestra featuring an Albarn-designed instrument called a klaxophone.

The custom keyboard sports Space Invaders-style arcade buttons that blare a 24-note scale of recorded car horns. Albarn dreamed up the klaxophone while doing research in the ancient — and totally traffic-choked — Chinese city of Feng huang. "It was the highest concentration of horns I'd ever heard in my life," he says. "So I got every type of car horn that was manufactured in China and made an instrument out of it."

We've yet to hear any of the original tunes — all performed in Mandarin — but we're hoping for the missing link between Cirque du Soleil and Troy McClure's Stop the Planet of the Apes. I Want to Get Off! (Come on and rock us, Dr. Zaius!) After a 10-show opening run at the UK's Manchester International Festival this summer, the opera will swing around the world for a year. Tour details are still being finalized, but audiences in Berlin, Paris, and several other cities may soon be going ape over Monkey.

I'd go see this. I still enjoy watching Monkey.