You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

December 11, 2016, 02:06:50 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Hark!  The Herald!
Holiday Issue 2016

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Immortality  (Read 1036 times)

Offline VekseidTopic starter

Immortality
« on: June 26, 2007, 02:30:30 PM »
Immortal Jellyfish

Quote from: article
While colonial animals can have their immortality, solitary individuals are doomed to die. Hydrozoan cnidarians usually have a complex life cycle, wherein a colonial stage leads to the sexually mature, solitary, adult stage. Eggs and sperm from solitary, sexual, adult medusa (jellyfish) develop into an embryo and planula larva, and they then form the colonial polyp stage. Medusae are formed asexually from polyps. These medusae have a limited lifespan and die shortly after releasing their gametes (Martin, 1997; Figure 1).

The hydrozoan Turritopsis nutricula has evolved a remarkable variation on this theme, and in so doing appears to have achieved immortality. The solitary medusa of this species can revert to its polyp stage after becoming sexually mature (Bavestrello et al., 1992; Piraino et al., 1996). In the laboratory, 100% of these medusae regularly undergo this change. Thus, it is possible that organismic death does not occur in this species!

Offline Llianna

Re: Immortality
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:43 AM »
Wow! No way!! That is really neat...jelly fish are something arent they?

Offline kongming

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 11:37:54 AM »
Not only can jellyfish be immortal, but here in AU they can make humans very mortal.

Offline Cherri Tart

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
*giggles* i thought, for like half a sec that it read orgasmic death not oraganismic death

Offline Elvi

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 08:48:27 PM »
This is where I am supposed to *sigh* and *tut* and tell you that you have a one track mind.
But I am afraid that I did exactly the same thing.....I think the dreams are getting to me Cherri....*wipes forhead on her hanky*

Offline Cherri Tart

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 12:11:13 AM »
*eyes hanky, notices that it's red*  yep - it must be the dreams.  And don't forget to keep repeating your mantra before bedtime :)

Offline Hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 03:16:56 PM »
Would that be the one that goes like: "Oh fuck!  Oh fuck! Oh fuck!"   ;)