News:

Main Menu

Pagan Musings

Started by Rhedyn, March 20, 2011, 05:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Rhedyn

Hrm, well I know there are other smaller crabapple trees further down the road that do fruit and drop though it's possible that the tree isn't fertilizing anyway. The tree is pretty large and I would assume has been here since the building (which was one a stable) was converted into houses in the early to mid eighties, perhaps longer. I rent off of a private letting agent though I know that the owners both trained as horticulturists so it is more than possible that they sprayed it or did something to ensure it didn't fruit and cause problems for their tenants.

Thanks for all the help ladies  ;D

Rhedyn

Happiness

Let us live happily then,
free from the bondage of hate!

free from the disease of misery!

free from the craving of desire!

though we call nothing our own!

We shall be like the gods,
feeding on happiness.

(Chapter 15 of Gautama Buddha’s Dhammapada)

Over the new year I brought a set of cards called the Dharma Cards, a set put together by Priya Hemenway as a meditation set on the teachings of Gautama Buddha. I choose a card once a month max if that and the above card is the only one I have been picking out since then, it is considered his truth. The first time I picked it was during a bout of depression when I hadn’t been practicing my regular meditation and felt thoroughly unbalanced because of it. It’s message was clear, I knew it was relating to my ‘emotional’ episodes and the need to get them under control before I could even look any further into solving the issues going on in my life.

Now I sense it has a different meaning for me and I have begun to look at what is and isn’t making me happy in life. Apparently awareness will set you free. From a very young age I always thought that my happiness would be highly dependent on other people. That I would find love (which I did), marry (also did) have children (did) and find happiness and stability in that love. Things didn’t work out that way for me and yet what hit home the most was how much happier I became once a line had been drawn under my marriage and I was finally separated from my husband. Instead of trying to live how I thought I should live I started living life for what it was, just life and I think that it is important to try to remember this. The final paragraph of thoughts on this card sums it up rather nicely so I thought I would share:

Whether you are with friends or alone, whether you are rich or poor, whether you are sick or healthy, it will not matter; for you will know the happiness that accepts life as it is.

Sylk

The tree is most definitely not a Redbud. The leaves are heart shaped on a Redbud tree. We have several in our yard.  It looks a lot like a crab apple tree.  There are decorative types that do not bear fruit. Just as there are flowering only pears.  We had to cut down our Crabapple tree because the carpenter ants had decided to make it into a high rise.  While it fed the woodpeckers well, it also lent easy access to our house being so close, so we cut it down.  A really pretty Mimosa tree now grows in its place.

My best guess is a flowering crab or pear that doesn't bear fruit.  It's not a cherry tree, the bark is wrong.

Good luck with identifying it.

Sylk
Never underestimate the power of a single look.
    My Role Plays:  Keeping the Duchess from Harm  Rebel of Her Heart     On Flightless Wings   Hunter or Hunted My Blog  Sylken Threads

Rhedyn

Thanks for your input Sylk  :-)

It's always such a shame when a tree has to be removed but at least you have another in it's place now. I love having a tree in my garden, it makes me reluctant to move as I very much doubt I will be able to find another house I can afford to rent with one.

Rhedyn

Hmmm, it's been a while since I've written in here *dusts off the thread*

I've been very disconnected of late and I always find that it takes me time and a fair amount of perseverance to get back on track and grounded properly, of course the depression doesn't help and I sometimes allow myself to lose my way when it hits. This last few weeks has been difficult for me for personal reasons but it has reminded me of a few things that I had been digressing with. My meditation practice for one and allowing myself to feel connected to the universe. You see I have this terrible habit of shutting down sometimes when I feel like things are too much for me instead of embracing them and letting them flow as a passing experience should.

I set up a shrine under the tree in my garden for the fey and they seem happy with it and of course it was the festival of Lughnasadh at the beginning of the month, the first harvest and a very powerful time of introspection. Perhaps this is why I always come to rather large, important and life changing decisions at this time of the year. I can't say it was a delight to work with Lugh at this time, he made me face some things that I didn't feel ready to face though I know it was for the best. Working on his portrait was very therapeutic for me, meditative really and while it was exhausting in many respects it did open my eyes to some of the truths that have been playing around me.

No-body said being aware was easy but they never tell you sometimes you wish for ignorance when you learn things you wish you hadn't found out. I guess in all truth I would rather be aware than ignorant even if it is a bitter pill to swallow at the time.

Today I also spent some time at my Buddah shrine, leaving offerings and taking one of the wisdom cards that I thought I would share with you. Eerily fitting given the fact I have been making a concerted effort to reawaken myself to meditation. I used to have a very good practice going that I let slip over time.

Last week I went into town and brought a book, Mindfulness by Bhante Henepola Gunarantana. I was actually looking at two books in the store, undecided which one to buy as they were both sort of pulling at me. I asked for a sign as I flicked through each in turn and when skimming over the introduction to the Mindfulness book a random marching band went past the book store...I kid you not. Not one to look a sign in the mouth I brought the book and followed the band which is a story in itself, went home and began reading. This book was practically talking about me this last few months and yet I could recognise what it was describing and saying to me too about how different life is when you become mindful (aware) as I used to live like that, day in day out when I meditated regularly and was at peace with myself after the break down of my marriage. It reminded me of where I was going wrong and more importantly what to do about it. It helped me find myself again.

With this in mind this is what my Darma Card's message is today:

Those who practice awareness
find their way.
The become like
snowy mountain peaks,
and rise high.

Those who live in forgetfulness
are like arrows shot at night.
They pass through life
and reach nowhere.

Meditat.
Deepen your silence.
Be watchful.
Enjoy your empty mind.

Rhedyn

This is an interesting one, and which ever side you agree with I think it's food for thought. Personally, though I don't have an issue with general digs and research going on to discover more about our past and heritage, there is something about digging up, removing and in all likelihood not returning human remains to their chosen burial place disrespectful, it makes me uneasy and I do empathise with the druid in question:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-14630468

Rhedyn

Today I have decided to share my recent charity shop finds. I find a lot of my decorative items and useful 'pagan' items from such places, not only are they cheaper than new and often slightly worn, which I prefer but generally you can find some unusual and individual bits and pieces. With the kidlets it is awkward to go into such places and browse, I'm always rushed and never really get to look properly but every now and again I feel the urge to take a peek and usually when I do I find something of use and value to me. My two most recent finds I have been particularly proud of:

First this green man box, a mere £2 in one of our small shops and now has pride of place on my kitchen altar and holds all my pendants and rings safely without them being in my bedroom tucked away somewhere so that I forget where they are.

Second is this brass 'cauldron' type thing. I have been looking for something like this for a while, light weight, heat resistant and with a sturdy handle for burning candles and incense/smudge sticks in safely. My other iron cauldron is just far too heavy to cart around the house and outside when I need to so this was a perfect find for me, made better only by the fact that it was just £1!

Jag

I love that box. It's beautiful.

My daughter's god mother's mother owns an antique mall and they have all kinds of stuff like that around. I'll have to take some pictures of some of the stuff for you. I think you'd like a lot of it. ^__^
Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Rhedyn

Oh yes please! I love places like that, there's so many things to be discovered in them. Years ago I brought this massive storage thing (I'll take a picture of it later as it's really hard to describe what it is like) that I use as an altar in my bedroom. It's so unusual and somewhat battered but I love it and the price I paid for it <3

Rhedyn

Here it is, my all time favourite buy from an antiques type shop that I use in my bedroom. Yopu can't see the large chipped and damaged areas on the wood, or the fact that the blue top is a carpet like material very well but I love it. It has pride of place in my bedroom and is usually adorned with deity statues and faeries.

The bottom draw front pulls down as opposed to out, the inside is a massive storage area. The piece is really, REALLY heavy. When I brought it I had to carry it home with a friend, I didn't live that far from the shop but it took a good hour to get it back because of how awkward and weighty it is but damn, I'm pleased I did it now particularly as it only cost me £5. I think it's the only piece of furniture I brought when I moved out of my parents house at 17 and still have, which considering all that's happened over all these years says a lot.

Rhedyn

There has been one thing that’s certain this week and that, much to my delight, is that Autumn is definitely here. I don’t just mean with the start of the school term but these last few days here have made it obvious that the season has changed right along with the weather. Leaves have just started falling from the trees, we’ve had more rain, a fresher wind and the sun light, when it has really shone, has that different kind of hue to it where the harshness of the yellow tones give way to a more orangey glow.

If you couldn’t already tell, I love Autumn. I love the colours and bounty of the harvest, the temperature, the wind rustling through the crispy leaves and the rain creating massive puddles to jump in. I love collecting things when I go walking and making bird feeders and decorations for the garden and I love the general feeling of lazy warmth that comes as the days grow shorter and colder and my evenings are spend curled up in my house with a hot drink and a blanket.

Perhaps most of all I love the fact that I’m always learning things at this time of year whether it be intentional or unintentional. I know a lot of people find it to be the start of a depressing time as it gets darker and colder but for me, I come alive and seem to flourish when everything else is slowing down around me. Sometimes I think it’s down to the sense of time I have in this season which is one that is slow paced and relaxed, pressures lift for me and thus so do my spirits.

Whether you like it or loathe it, enjoy it for what it is; a fleeting moment in the wheel of the year full of its own beauty and wonder for as with everything in life it cannot last forever.

Just sharing some Autumn love today.

~ Rhedyn.

Lilias

I have long suspected that it's not accidental that the academic year begins in September (for us in the northern hemisphere, at least). It's between the first and second harvest, when we are well fed but not wasted - optimal learning conditions! ;)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

We actually start a little earlier (late August) and there are a few days off in the first quarter that I suspect are to allow for the kids to help with second harvest.  The day off for the County Fair is a bit more blatant in its intent.  ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Avis habilis

Here in tater-land, the northernmost county still observes a "potato break". It's a holdover from the old days when the kids had to go out into the fields & harvest. Nowadays they're mostly hanging out in the McDo scarfing French fries.

Rhedyn

Quote from: Lilias on September 09, 2011, 02:40:51 PM
I have long suspected that it's not accidental that the academic year begins in September (for us in the northern hemisphere, at least). It's between the first and second harvest, when we are well fed but not wasted - optimal learning conditions! ;)

Absolutely! And really when you think about it this is the equivalent of the 'dark moon' time in the seasons which is the time of the Crone which in turn is a time of learning and wisdom so really it makes a lot of sense, though I doubt the schools planned it like that *chuckles*

Quote from: Oniya on September 09, 2011, 02:44:06 PM
We actually start a little earlier (late August) and there are a few days off in the first quarter that I suspect are to allow for the kids to help with second harvest.  The day off for the County Fair is a bit more blatant in its intent.  ;)

Quote from: Avis habilis on September 09, 2011, 03:15:05 PM
Here in tater-land, the northernmost county still observes a "potato break". It's a holdover from the old days when the kids had to go out into the fields & harvest. Nowadays they're mostly hanging out in the McDo scarfing French fries.

I suspect you are right Oniya, here the schools don't break up for any holiday until closer to Samhain/Halloween which is pretty convenient for me given my beliefs, they don't get time off for harvest though most of the schools have a harvest service (at least the Christian ones definitely do) where the children bring in canned and easily stored food items that are distributed to those who need them...it's the closest they come to having anything like what you and Avis describe here in the towns I have lived in though I daresay things may be done differently out in the country areas and villages.

I remember doing it as a child in primary school, though generally security measures were far more lax back then. We used to bring things into the school, take them to the CofE church for an extremely long service, at least it was for us as 4-11 year olds, organize them into food packs and then deliver them to the local residential homes.

InariShiftskin

What a lovely thread, and how nice to see another Pagan around!

Thank you very much for your comment on my art thread as well.

Hehehe, do you ever run into the  difficulty of having too much stuff calling to you and not enough room on the altar?

Rhedyn

Oh all the time! I actually have two main 'working' altars set up and several small shrines to space out all of my things and there's still too much of it  ;D  My main pieces stay out all the time; certain statues and crystals etc then I rotate the rest seasonally *is unashamedly a hoarder*

InariShiftskin

Hehehehe! You're not the only one, between me and my mate, who is Wiccan, we've got enough stuff to fill a room we don't have!

Rhedyn

*chuckles* There are just far too many beautiful things!

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Rhedyn on September 09, 2011, 01:22:35 PM
There has been one thing that’s certain this week and that, much to my delight, is that Autumn is definitely here. I don’t just mean with the start of the school term but these last few days here have made it obvious that the season has changed right along with the weather. Leaves have just started falling from the trees, we’ve had more rain, a fresher wind and the sun light, when it has really shone, has that different kind of hue to it where the harshness of the yellow tones give way to a more orangey glow.

If you couldn’t already tell, I love Autumn. I love the colours and bounty of the harvest, the temperature, the wind rustling through the crispy leaves and the rain creating massive puddles to jump in. I love collecting things when I go walking and making bird feeders and decorations for the garden and I love the general feeling of lazy warmth that comes as the days grow shorter and colder and my evenings are spend curled up in my house with a hot drink and a blanket.

Perhaps most of all I love the fact that I’m always learning things at this time of year whether it be intentional or unintentional. I know a lot of people find it to be the start of a depressing time as it gets darker and colder but for me, I come alive and seem to flourish when everything else is slowing down around me. Sometimes I think it’s down to the sense of time I have in this season which is one that is slow paced and relaxed, pressures lift for me and thus so do my spirits.

Whether you like it or loathe it, enjoy it for what it is; a fleeting moment in the wheel of the year full of its own beauty and wonder for as with everything in life it cannot last forever.

Just sharing some Autumn love today.

~ Rhedyn.

*seconds the love for Autumn* 

I dearly love this time of year.  I love love when you can step outside and actually smell Autumn in the air.  For some strange reason, I always feel more refreshed in the Autumn than at any other time of the year. 
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

Rhedyn

You really can smell the change in the season, definitely, it's strange. I like to think that the sudden freshness in the air after the heat of summer helps to freshen up the mind and body, but who knows...I always think the change is more sudden than any other season which seem to come in more gradually  :-)

Parker

What a wonderful thread to find, Rhyden...  thank you for opening up and sharing. :  D

One of the things that rings so truly with me about the Pagan outlook is the idea that we are not spiritually broken things in need of fixing, starting out life somehow flawed and in need of redemption even before we begin a journey of self-development.

It's a pretty heavy handed tool that many dogmatic religions use, impressing upon people that God says they belong on the Island of Misfit Toys until they accept This Certain Way of Doing Things. I don't think that's awful because people shouldn't try to interpret the divine ( I think they should, constantly and all around themselves )...  I thought it was awful because it sounded like what you hear in every schoolyard, from every bully. "Do like I do, believe what I tell you, or you're less."

Anyway...   thank you again for the thread. Good to see Pagans about.

Kuroneko

Quote from: Rhedyn on September 02, 2011, 08:12:46 AM

First this green man box, a mere £2 in one of our small shops and now has pride of place on my kitchen altar and holds all my pendants and rings safely without them being in my bedroom tucked away somewhere so that I forget where they are.

Wow, that box is just gorgeous!  I'd love to have something like that for my altar.  What a great find.
Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Rhedyn

Quote from: Parker on September 14, 2011, 01:41:42 PM
What a wonderful thread to find, Rhyden...  thank you for opening up and sharing. :  D

One of the things that rings so truly with me about the Pagan outlook is the idea that we are not spiritually broken things in need of fixing, starting out life somehow flawed and in need of redemption even before we begin a journey of self-development.

It's a pretty heavy handed tool that many dogmatic religions use, impressing upon people that God says they belong on the Island of Misfit Toys until they accept This Certain Way of Doing Things. I don't think that's awful because people shouldn't try to interpret the divine ( I think they should, constantly and all around themselves )...  I thought it was awful because it sounded like what you hear in every schoolyard, from every bully. "Do like I do, believe what I tell you, or you're less."

Anyway...   thank you again for the thread. Good to see Pagans about.

Thank you Parker! I'm glad you are enjoying the blog. As someone who was brought up as a Christian I became very disatisfied with the answers it provided me as I grew into my mid teens, it didn't mesh with my outlook, beliefs or the things I 'knew' to be true from an early age. That's when I started thinking and experimenting with different things until finally finding the faith that was uniquely mine. It's a beautiful and very free way of living :)

Quote from: Kuroneko on September 14, 2011, 10:23:12 PM
Wow, that box is just gorgeous!  I'd love to have something like that for my altar.  What a great find.

Thanks! I love when things like this just turn up and find me <3