Carnival Ride (Charisma and eaglecrisis)

Started by Charisma, March 16, 2011, 03:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charisma

The weather was hot and muggy, and Jane Nixon could feel the sweat welling up on her skin. It was the fourth day she had lived in the town, and as she passed people downtown, all she heard was about the carnival that was going to be in town. As if the 'reminders' from the townfolk weren't enough, everywhere she looked, posters were plastered on the windows of the businesses. Nobody would let her forget.

Jane grew up in a big city, with many other options available for entertainment, but by the sound of the people who lived in her new town, the carnival was the only entertainment they have seen for years. The only reason she ended up in a small town, because she was renovating her life, molding herself into someone she had always dreamed of being. Of course, the big city life was just about as dramatic as the small town, because before she moved in, everyone knew who she was, where she came from, and what she was trying to accomplish.

'I know you.' A woman pointed to her while Jane was buying a soda from the grocery store. 'Aren't you Michael Nixon's daughter?' She asked.

Jane stood there, trying to place the face. Yes, she was his daughter. How did the woman even know who she was? It was weird. She was practically famous, and she moved about fifty miles from her home city.

"Excuse me." She said as she tried to walk through the sea of people, which made the day seem even hotter. She walked toward a large building, which seemed to take her eons to get there, because of the congested traffic from one side of the carnival to the other. Her destination...the bathroom.

She had been to carnivals, before, but here, it seemed as if all of the rides were as close to each other as possible, especially for the amount of room allotted for the event. Finally, after what seemed like hours, she made it to her destination. Wasting no time, she high-tailed it into the bathroom stall.

eaglecrisis

This was Johnnys third day at the carnival. In such a small town there was never anything to do so it was always nice when it came around because it gave him a place to hang out with his friends. He was such a huge fan of the rides as well, though. The ferris wheel and the upside-down rides always gave him an adrenaline rush, and of course he was always forced into getting on them by his guys friends. The only difference now was that he didn't come with his friends on this day. He went by himself because all of his friends were busy doing other things and Johnny had nothing else to do. This made him feel a little lonely, not having a girl and all, but he just shrugged it off and walked through the crowd of people. He came up to a booth that was selling caramel apples dipped in peanuts, his favorite, so he bought one and sat down in one of the seats next to the booth to eat it.
"L e t   m e   l i v e   m y   l i f e
a s   I   w a n t   f o r   a t   i t s   e n d
i t   i s   I   w h o   m u s t   d i e."

Charisma

Jane adjusted her pink halter top as she looked in the mirror. It was much cooler in the bathroom, and it wouldn't have bothered her if she stayed in there all day. She pulled the pink ponytail holder from her wrist, and brought her hands toward her stubborn brown hair and wrapped the ponytail around the hair that she had gathered.

She didn't have any make-up on, which was very unusual for her, because, normally, she didn't leave the house without her face painted. Today was definitely an 'I don't care' day. The town was going to know Jane as Jane, and not the high class preppy school girl that she used to be. It was time for her to turn over a new leaf, and now...was the perfect time to start.

After realizing how ridiculous she looked, and forcing herself not to make a big issue of it, she tore herself away from the mirror and quickly made an exit toward the door.

She was free to roam anywhere she wanted. Would she visit the game booths and hope to win a prize or would she walk around (probably with the flow of traffic) as she surveyed the rides. From what she already saw, the ride she would most likely ride on, were the ones that were meant for small kids. She looked in the distance at the rides. The old Jane was afraid of heights, and wouldn't go anywhere near the rides, but the new Jane was up for a challenge.

eaglecrisis

Johnny took a big bite into the green apple and peanuts fell all over his shirt. He wiped them away and they fell onto the ground. The sun was beating right down on this particular table, and it was a metal one, so Johnny was getting quite hot. He stood up, threw the apple away and suddenly remember that he had a few tickets leftover from the days before when he had come with his friends.  He took his black wallet out of his back pocket and opened it up, took the tickets out, then put the wallet back where it belonged. There was no sense in letting them go to waste so he decided that he would find a ride to get on. He has always enjoyed the bumper cars because smashing into total strangers gave him a bit of enjoyment, but he decided no on this. He kept walking through the crowd and saw the ferris wheel just up ahead.  For some reason this sounded like a good idea to him, so he took his place in line and waited for the next ride.

Charisma

Jane eventually made her way over to the ferris wheel, as she watched it spin round, and then stopping to let people off, and new people on. After she built up the courage and had it in her mind what she was going to do, she decided to quickly buy the tickets to get on the ride before she changed her mind.

After the tickets were in hand, she stuffed the money back into her pocket and became even more nervous the closer to the ferris wheel she came. If she was going to face her fear, the ferris wheel was, by far, the best ride to do it with.

She fidgeted as she waited for her turn...shifting her weight from one leg to the other. She took a deep breath, and exhaled, a little louder than she had wanted.

eaglecrisis

The ferris wheel stopped and the line moved up faster and faster as the seats began to fill. Johnny reached the ticket-taker and he put his arm in front of him. "Two per seat." Johnny looked at the overweight man sitting on the chair. "Huh?" The man looked him in the eyes. "Two per seat! did you not hear me the first time?" Johnny opened his mouth to say something as he got angry but failed to let it slip out. "But, as you can see, it's only me here.." The old man shrugged his shoulders in a way that showed just how uncaring he was about this fact. "Gotta ride with someone else then." He said as he chewed on a toothpick.

Charisma

"I'll go with him." Jane said as she handed the man her tickets.
"Very well, then." The overweight man raised his arm and Jane walked through and sat on the seat. "Now you?" The carnie turned to the man who she had just agreed to go onto the ferris wheel, with. "I'm not letting you on the ride for free, you know."

eaglecrisis

Johnny huffed at the man and handed him his ticket. He then sat don on the seat next to the girl who had agreed to ride with him. The man shut the bar to hold them inside and let the ferris wheel go back some so that he could fill the next seat. "I wasn't actually expecting someone to agree to ride with me, especially someone whom I've never met before." He brushed his hand through his brown hair in a shy gesture. "Anyway, I'm Johnny."

Charisma

"I'm Jane" She looked at him and her eyes were shifted from his eyes to his shoulder. She didn't know if she should tell him that 'something' was on his shoulder. She had no idea what this 'something' was. She had to tell him something was there, otherwise, he'd be walking around with it on his shoulder. "Uh. You have something on your shoulder."

eaglecrisis

"something on my sho... what?" He looks down at his shoulder and realizes that there are some peanut crumbs there. "Oh, haha, that's peanuts. I was a caramel apple earlier." He says as he picks the peanuts off his shoulder, so that he doesn't accidentally wipe them onto her, and throws them onto the ground. The ferris wheel starts getting higher and higher and before he knows it they are stopped at the very top as more people climb aboard the seats.

Charisma

Jane didn't realize that the ride had even took off, and now that she was aware that they were at the top, she started to get anxious. She heard that 'looking down' while so high in the air wasn't a good idea, but she couldn't help it. She looked...and then panicked. She quickly forced herself to look toward him, not wanting to look away.

"I...I'm afraid of heights." Jane admitted.

eaglecrisis

Johnny stared at Jane as she looked at him. "Scared of heights?! Then why did you even get on this ride?"

Charisma

"I don't know." Jane sighed. "I guess I thought I could do this. The old Jane was afraid of heights, and I thought I could get over that." Jane shook her head. "Besides, my father says that the  best way to get over a fear would be to face the fear."

eaglecrisis

"Well, he's definitely right. Who is your father?" He pushes the 'old Jane' comment to the side, saving it for another time. He didn't want to intrude in her life but he wanted to get to know her.

Charisma

"Actually, I just moved to town not even four days ago. I just wanted to get away from the drama of the big city life." She took a deep breath as she looked over the town.

eaglecrisis

"Hm, that's understandable. I've never lived in a big city, myself, but I can understand where it could start to get hectic. I can't even picture myself living in a big city, much less visiting one. It's just too much for me. I'm more in love with the country than anything. Where is it that you lived, exactly?"

Charisma

"I lived in Mobile my whole life, and I'm not used to living in a small town. I thought it was a really good idea, because I could be away from everything and focus on just my life." She managed a smile as she looked toward the man sitting next to her. "So, I take it, the carnival is a really big deal around these parts?"

eaglecrisis

"Well, yeah, I suppose." He said as his hand rubbed against the back of his neck. "There's not much to do around here, so when the carnival comes around it gives the whole town a little place to get away. Trouble is it just brings drama between high school kids and such. Sometimes there's fights here. I just ignore it all. I come here to get away, not to cause more problems in the town."

Charisma

Jane nodded. "And what was the deal with the carnie? He seemed to be targeting just you."

eaglecrisis

He waves in hand in an uncaring motion. "Eh, don't worry about him. I'm not too sure that he likes me. Some guys I was hanging out with made fun of him one night while we were here together. I was with them while they were doing it, and while I didn't say anything bad, I didn't stand up for him either."

Charisma

The ferris wheel jolted as it started up, again, and Jane held tightly to the bar. She closed her eyes and envisioned the wheel rolling through town, destructing everything in its path... "Oh God."