You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 18, 2018, 10:09:03 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Miniature painting  (Read 20061 times)

Offline Sprikut

Re: Miniature painting
« Reply #450 on: September 09, 2018, 09:40:49 PM »
I'm not saying I shouldn't pay for nice models. But when I can get a box of 7 Really good Models from Corvus Belli for $40~ or a box of 5-6 Alright Models for $70~ I might as well go with the nicer models. ;)

I'm not against expensive minis but I believe the dark age guys at least have been pushing to swap to Plastic in part to reduce their price point. I know there was very little uptake locally in part because it was a high cost for a product that was just alright. 

Offline BeorningTopic starter

« Reply #451 on: September 13, 2018, 10:53:44 AM »
Pockets, thanks for bringing Mierce Miniatures to my attention! I see that they have their own game, Darklands - I admit I don't think I'd be picking it up. But the minis are interesting! I might get some of them...

Here's a new idea: Dragon Rampant. Some of the guys at my local gaming shop brought it to my attention - apparently, it's a light-weight system for fantasy battles with no dedicated miniatures. The idea is you can whatever you want! I'm tempted to try this - that way, I'd be able to mix-and-match minis from different games and paint (and play with) whatever I find appealing.

But, here's a question: Pockets, do you have human minis from WFB, WH40K or AoA at hand? If so, could you measure them and check how they fit with the Mierce Miniatures's stuff size-wise? I wonder whether minis from the two games could be used together...

Online Pockets

• Lady Kitsune's Body Snuggleuficus Secretwriter's Leprechaun
  • Lord
  • Enchanter
  • Sometimes it's not about what's in the Pocket
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
« Reply #452 on: September 14, 2018, 03:50:46 PM »
But, here's a question: Pockets, do you have human minis from WFB, WH40K or AoA at hand? If so, could you measure them and check how they fit with the Mierce Miniatures's stuff size-wise? I wonder whether minis from the two games could be used together...

That's not something I can do for two reasons, 1) I don't have the models anymore, they were commission pieces, and 2) the different models from Mierce range from normal to monstrous depending on what you're buying.

Offline solkar

« Reply #453 on: September 15, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
I'm not into miniature painting myself, but I'd like to share an anecdote.

Years ago, a good friend of mine was quietly sitting at the large table he had fashioned for his roleplaying group, which included me. The table consisted of a board of joint planks supported by two sets of connected A-frames and could easily be stored when he didn't need it.

But right now, he did. For on top of his table were numerous unpainted miniatures, and of course also pots, cups, jars, brushes, and whatever else he needed. A wide variety of colors was available. Imagine a peaceful scene on a sunny weekend afternoon. The house is quiet, nobody else is there, he is both relaxed and focused on the job at hand. Immersed in his artwork, a wash here, a finishing touch there, he's making nice progress, and has all the time he needs.

Somewhere in his house, hidden under a chair in the nearby kitchen, a demon lurks. It is jet black, four-legged and has a ferocious temper that may flare into violence at any time and for any reason, or for no reason. The artisan could have suspected it, the beast had been around for some time.... but alas, he had paid no heed.
It took the cat mere seconds to accelerate, and the distance between its hiding place and the nearest A-frame was perfect for allowing it to reach full speed. With a tremendous crash it thundered into the support. The table disintegrated into its three components. Paint flew everywhere. The floor, the ceiling, furniture, clothes.... miniatures had the shock of their virtual lifetime. That half-painted metal dragon could really fly. The elven chariot charged faster than it ever had.

"AAAAARGGGHHHH!" It all ended with my friend chasing his cat all around the house. Of course, he didn't catch it. Fortunately.

« Reply #454 on: September 16, 2018, 05:52:07 PM »
Ouch! That cat was quite lucky that it didn't get caught after a stunt like that! :D

I've long learned that I need to be careful around my minis, when my cat is around. The furry guy would really like to steal some of these... :) On the other hand, my cat is the only person in my household that actually pays attention to these minis. Quite often, when I'm painting or assembling, he just sits around at my table and watches...

On another note:

I'm trying to get into playing Dragon Rampant! It's a nice excuse to buy some interesting minis from games I don't play :) That said, I'm a bit stumped right now: I would really like to field a group of fantasy human infantry. The problem is, I just can't find affordable minis for that. I could use Sisters of the Watch for that (yeah, they are elves, but they could pass for humans), but they have those bows with flaming magical arrows... Even worse, they actually have big honking *hearts* on their belts. They look like Care Bears. Agh!

I have found a really nice-looking shieldmaiden infantry, but they look quite a bit on the barbaric side. I could use something a more... regal (I'm actually trying to do a "Dark Queen and her army" here). Any ideas?

The minis should fit the 28mm scale, BTW.

Online Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #455 on: September 16, 2018, 07:11:32 PM »
Check out Raging Heroes. They've got plenty of badass babes.

Offline Dhi

« Reply #456 on: September 16, 2018, 07:27:11 PM »
The quality of Raging Heroes has plummeted since they switched from metal, I would not recommend anything that doesn't specifically say made from white metal. It's melty, miscast-prone plastic in a material that sloughs primer, at the same boutique price point as the metals.

« Reply #457 on: Yesterday at 01:55:11 AM »
It's an important point you raise, Dhi... Apparently, not all manufacturers can be trusted :(

So, do you guys know any games / companies that have bad minis? I suppose that Games Workshop can be trusted (on the other hand, I keep hearing about "failcast"...). What about the minis from Warmachine / Hordes? Malifaux? Are there any lesser-known companies I should stay away from?

Online Pockets

• Lord
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #458 on: Yesterday at 10:03:17 AM »
Avoid the cheap Reaper plastic models, even when primed they have a hard time keeping paint on. Other than that... hit or miss. I've had good casts and bad casts from nearly every company I've purchased from. Both metal, plastic, finecast/resin, etc.

Offline Thorne

« Reply #459 on: Yesterday at 11:08:21 AM »
Avoid the cheap Reaper plastic models, even when primed they have a hard time keeping paint on. Other than that... hit or miss. I've had good casts and bad casts from nearly every company I've purchased from. Both metal, plastic, finecast/resin, etc.

That's because you don't prime Bones.
Wash them, yes. If you /really/ want paint to stick, people have had the best luck with Reaper's Brown Liner as a base coat. I've dropped and accidentally stepped on Bones minis I treated that way, and they were fine; no chipping or anything. Not all the liners perform the same way; YMMV. But for whatever reason, Brown Liner is crazy effective.

The general consensus is 'Don't hit Bones with rattle-can spray primer'. Some work, some don't, most will get you a sticky mess, and you'll have to give the thing a Simple Green bath and start over; it has something to do with leaching and chemistry.
http://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/ - seriously, read this if you're going to paint Bones, even for lols.

That having been said, Bones are best utilized at larger sizes; human and smaller-size miniatures in Bones don't always retain the detail that metal does, and some of the fails are … well, let's just say I don't have as many human-sized minis in Bones as I do monsters. A lot of noseless humans, and one or two really odd casting WTFs that don't seem to happen as much when you start going up into larger models.

I have a few of GW's more recent plastics, they're alright, and I do like the detail on their wolves. A bit fiddly, and a little more fragile than some, not as bad as resin. I don't buy much of their lines, or Privateer Press', because I don't play Warhammer, or Warmahordes, and while I like some of their bigger models, I don't like them enough to throw that kind of money at them.

« Reply #460 on: Yesterday at 01:59:31 PM »
If you don't mind, I have a general question: are there any important differences between minis made of metal, plastic or resin? Is any of these materials better than the rest?

For example, I've noticed that Mierce offers some miniatures in resin and metal versions. Metal versions are cheaper - would that mean they look worse?

Offline Dhi

« Reply #461 on: Yesterday at 02:54:01 PM »
So much of that depends on the manufacturer, unfortunately.

Kingdom Death does great resin with hair-thin detail and is currently moving into photo 3D printing for the best quality possible. There are retired sculpts which will never be cast in mass production plastic because plastic cools in the mold, and shrinks slightly, and so does metal.

Sometimes resin is more expensive due to such a slow production process, or because they are the original castings used to populate the metal molds. They are closer to the originals, and a little piece of history.

But usually a company will see the price of metal going up, talk about switching to resin or plastic to keep costs low, and then charge just as much while quality control is handled by an overworked factory in China.