Please explain 'cancel culture' to me

Started by Beorning, August 11, 2020, 10:47:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on August 24, 2020, 07:18:40 AM
Four years ago, I hated that term.  Now? I own it. I piss off a lot of folks by not white washing our actions. Four years from now I’m not sure what I’ll be. Most likely not a Republican

I switched to Libertarian about the time the U.S. invaded Iraq, and now not even that.  The GOP has lost its damn mind for awhile now.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Remiel on August 24, 2020, 09:55:22 AM
I switched to Libertarian about the time the U.S. invaded Iraq, and now not even that.  The GOP has lost its damn mind for awhile now.

Agreed.

Fox Lokison

Heck, after the 2016 election, I couldn't even stomach being a libertarian. At this point I'm floating in the vague nebulous place of "hey maybe people should have food and housing and jobs and everything shouldn't be in crisis, also healthcare would probably be a good thing right about now because, ya know, a society without medicine tends to die really horribly"

Two party system, woot

Regina Minx

Dominic Noble, the YouTuber who does the very enjoyable 'Lost in Adaptation' series, discusses why he will no longer discuss Harry Potter works on his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7ogV9sBFM0

CriminalMindsFan

If we could cancel every second of 2020, that would be a achievement. I view Cancel Culture as extreme edition of Political Correctness.

Dice

Quote from: CriminalMindsFan on August 31, 2020, 11:13:53 PM
If we could cancel every second of 2020, that would be a achievement. I view Cancel Culture as extreme edition of Political Correctness.
On both ends? Remember that Colin Kaepernick was Cancelled by the right. As was James Gunn. (Though that one was corrected) Do you feel that it has been harmful to the side of politics you also disagree with?

As for 2020... Yea. Fuck this year.

TheGrandAdmiral

On one hand I support taking action and boycotting certain people who really deserve it, but there are examples of instances where it has been blown out of proportion over things that don't deserve such reaction.

Twisted Crow

Or those that are completely different people years later. If people found out about who Dallas was at around 17 and 18, it would be easy to paint a ghastly picture on the individual he is now at 33. To echo something Aiden mentions, context isn’t normally taken into these equations when they should be.

I would say it breeds nebulous argument that distracts from whatever key issues it attempts to fight, simply because people are lazy and prefer expedience. This creates other problems and misunderstandings that have little to do with the main problem. All simply because one wants to take the other side down a peg. The scoreboard is what matters, not so much the issues. Things that are potentially more harmful to a ‘side’ in politics because it can risk undermining their position on things I might actually agree with them about. Because it can beg the question on the integrity of one’s commitment to such a matter in the first place.

You could be a thief and liar in your youth and be a completely different person years later. This is not always fairly considered when viewed through such polarizing lens.

My two cents, anyway...

Fox Lokison

It can feed into radicalization if done wrong, definitely, and prevent deradicalization. Point blank, people change. Obviously some change isn't going to be enough to undo what acts were done, but at the same time, there's a difference between "I killed a man" and "I was an edgy teen who said/did some homophobic stuff". If you are told that no matter what, because you did bad things, you can never be forgiven, you will never be accepted, and your reform or change or efforts to fix your mistake mean nothing, and you are still always going to be a bad person... why would you change? It's basic human psychology. If you're gonna be demonized no matter what, if you're cast as entirely unforgivable and toxic and dangerous, that doesn't leave a lot of incentive to change or make amends.

Twisted Crow

Pretty much sums it up for me, actually. Though I have even known those that have killed turn a new leaf in their life.   *tosses his dog tags on the table for some context*   

It is one reason I have a conflicted stance on the Death Penalty. On one hand, I know that a killer can be capable of remorse. However, the principles of Justice should be preserved on some level. Similarly, I understand how canceling can be a weapon of necessity for some, even if it remains a tool that can be abused out of malice or passionate ignorance.

Man, I can not read quotes and on iOS. I may have to call it quits with PROC until I get my laptop with a couple paychecks. *shrugs*

Dice

Cancel culture, that horrible thing, good thing the right doesn't do it. Let me check Twitter... Oh...

Jennifer Griffin confirmed most of the reporting done by the Adlantic. In response Trump demands she be fired for doing her job.

Twisted Crow

I am not entirely sure who that is directed toward.  :-\

Dice

Quote from: Dallas on September 05, 2020, 05:52:59 PM
I am not entirely sure who that is directed toward.  :-\
The view that its a left wing ideal. The right and the belief that "Cancel Culture" is a left wing only ideal that hurts the left. Because the Right cancels people all the time, but we get comments that "It plays right into the right wings hands."

Twisted Crow

I often try to stress that canceling isn’t something that only one partisan is guilty of. I more or less blame how the media spins things to aid and abet it. And idiots on social media don’t help matters. Part of what I mean by ‘the scoreboard’ taking focus as opposed to the problem itself.

TheGlyphstone

My general sense of the term was that it applied to mass-action, rather than individuals? So in this case, Trump demanding Griffin be fired wouldn't be cancel culture unless it's picked up by a plurality of his cultists, but the outrage directed against Colin Kaepernick would qualify.

Callie Del Noire

Didn’t a right leaning troll try to do it on the director James Gunn? Even got him fired by Disney, though he was rehired after the entire cast of Guardians of the Galaxy. Said troll, Michael Cernovich, has done similar actions against others.

My issue with cancelling is this. Are you the same person you were 8-12 years ago? (Using Gunn as an example) or have you grown past those views? Cancelling holds you to the acts of your lowest level. While some folks should be punished for their acts, for example Harvey Winestien; should we eternally ban from prosperity and success anyone who has said anything tasteless in a tweet or Facebook post to the point that nothing they do can succeed.

Andol

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on September 06, 2020, 06:40:48 AM
My issue with cancelling is this. Are you the same person you were 8-12 years ago? (Using Gunn as an example) or have you grown past those views? Cancelling holds you to the acts of your lowest level. While some folks should be punished for their acts, for example Harvey Winestien; should we eternally ban from prosperity and success anyone who has said anything tasteless in a tweet or Facebook post to the point that nothing they do can succeed.

That has always been my issue with it as well. Because from what we have seen so far, those who have weaponized cancel culture tend to play by a game of... once a person is canceled they are always canceled. So there is no redemption and no coming back from something. Doesn't matter if you better yourself the ban is complete and total. It makes me wonder what goal is trying to be accomplished, because what is someones motive to change if cancelling is just a permeate thing.

Hrairoo

It is 2020. I remember back in middle school in the late 90's we preteens were using the "r" word and gay as jokey insults and getting corrected about it back then. I knew before I went to high school that it was wrong to use that sort of language. It comes down to defining what is a mistake and how old you should be to know better. Some things have always been wrong and just because we've had 20 years being able to post publicly on huge forums doesn't change that. I might give allowance for cultural stuff before the 90's but after the internet became mainstream, there's no excuse for being "accidentally" racist, homophobic, sexist, etc. Especially if you're an adult or famous in Hollywood or a politician.

The thing about it for me is things used to be a lot more lax and all. The true test of character is "How do you act/what do you say when the rules of decorum and common decency are loose?" Do you take full advantage of not being held accountable? Or do you act with respect to basic human decency? If you make obscene pedophile jokes or sexually harass people, just because there was nobody watching at the time or there weren't as heavy consequences... I mean, what is forgiveness really for?

joeman

Cancel culture is nothing more than modern day witch hunts that serves to get the plebeians off the backs of the patricians.

Harvey Weinstein served his purpose as the fall guy so that the elites won't have to worry about actually getting in trouble for their evil deeds that they do behind closed doors.