You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 17, 2019, 12:59:32 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon The RPG (Homebrew/Somewhat Freeform, Recruiting!)  (Read 540 times)

Offline okintsukoroTopic starter

I made a previous thread checking the interest of those who would want to play in the world of Red Hook's Darkest Dungeon: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=303511.0

It's recommended to have two characters ready to play in case your first meets an untimely end.

For character creation, the only things that would be required are:
Character Name:
Class: (Arbalest, Crusader, Vestal, Hellion, etc. Note that classes are not gender-locked so you can be a male Hellion or a female Crusader.)
Attribute Stats: (Standard DnD stats: Strength,Wisdom,Charisma,Intelligence,Constitution, Dexterity. Roll 3d6 to come up with each stat number, and keep track of the modifier: Gain +1 for every 2 stat points above 10, and -1 for every stat below.)
Have some sort of backstory as to why they end up at the Hamlet (there will be pamphlets floating about in the world advertising for adventurers to come to the Hamlet for various rewards, as well as plenty of NPCs who would know of it. I highly recommend speaking with me to solidify them). Generally all the characters will be arrive by coach driven by someone from the Hamlet.
Each character starts off with 1000 gold.

I will be providing monster/encounter stats open so that players will immediately know if their attack hits/it kills the monster.

The game will focus primarily on the backgrounds of the player characters and their goals and desires, as well as how fighting in the Hamlet and basically living there affects their mind and body.

Due to there being a brothel in the Hamlet as well as a large array of adult characters with varying mindsets, I'm considering putting the game in NC Exotic Small Groups?

Feel free to let me know what you think, and if you'd like to join in! As soon as I have at least 4 players, we can get started.

Offline TheHangedMan

• Sidhe. Hollowborn Vessel. Deadly Grin. Mildly Malkavian.
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 3
Re: Darkest Dungeon The RPG (Homebrew/Somewhat Freeform, Recruiting!)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 07:07:13 AM »
Character Name: Bitter Quip
Class: Hellion
Attribute Stats:
STR:  15  (+2)
DEX:  13 (+1)
CON: 16 (+3)
INT:   11 (+0)
WIS: 12 (+1)
CHA: 10 (+0)
HP: 5
Barbaric Yawp   (CON): Makes enemies unable to move for a while. Once per combat.
Adrenaline Rush(CON): Prevents damage from bleed/blight if bleeding/blighted.
Hardy (passive): +1 to Constitution Stat.
Bitter Quip is not really his name, so much as it is a title or by-name that he prefers to go by. Anybody that wants to know why need only ask--he can be a sarcastic jerk, and is used to hanging out with a rough crowd that can handle rough people. His primary reason for coming to the Hamlet is exceedingly simple, yet speaks volumes to his character: he was dared to. He was dared by other members of his tribe to go find this place, this dungeon, and bring back a good trophy.

And that challenge, that dare, is basically the only thing that motivates him. The other thing that contributes to it is that he sees it as a good way to test his skills.

It's a WIP, noticeably, haven't spent any gold or the like. But I'm looking at this guy as being a 'hits hard, takes hits' kind of character--a real hardcore fighter, as you'd expect from a Hellion. I'll probably outfit him with light armor and a glaive (glaive being one of my favorite weapons in D&D).  Not sure what else we might spend gold on--I know you mentioned adventuring packs and gear being purchasable at the Hamlet, so without needing rare components or stuff for magic, he'll probably spend a lot on making sure the party is properly geared to push it to the limit.

Thoughts?

NC Exotic seems like a fitting place for the game.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:28:33 PM by TheHangedMan »

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:15:21 AM »
Character Name: Bitter Quip
Class: Hellion
Attribute Stats:
STR:  15  (+2)
DEX:  13 (+1)
CON: 15 (+2)
INT:   11 (+0)
WIS: 12 (+1)
HP: 5
Barbaric Yawp   (CON): Makes enemies unable to move for a while. Once per combat.
Adrenaline Rush(CON): Prevents damage from bleed/blight if bleeding/blighted.

Bitter Quip is not really his name, so much as it is a title or by-name that he prefers to go by. Anybody that wants to know why need only ask--he can be a sarcastic jerk, and is used to hanging out with a rough crowd that can handle rough people. His primary reason for coming to the Hamlet is exceedingly simple, yet speaks volumes to his character: he was dared to. He was dared by other members of his tribe to go find this place, this dungeon, and bring back a good trophy.

And that challenge, that dare, is basically the only thing that motivates him. The other thing that contributes to it is that he sees it as a good way to test his skills.

It's a WIP, noticeably, haven't spent any gold or the like. But I'm looking at this guy as being a 'hits hard, takes hits' kind of character--a real hardcore fighter, as you'd expect from a Hellion. I'll probably outfit him with light armor and a glaive (glaive being one of my favorite weapons in D&D).  Not sure what else we might spend gold on--I know you mentioned adventuring packs and gear being purchasable at the Hamlet, so without needing rare components or stuff for magic, he'll probably spend a lot on making sure the party is properly geared to push it to the limit.

Thoughts?

NC Exotic seems like a fitting place for the game.

For starter gear, you won't have to worry about spending any gold. Because the battle system is gonna be super simplified for ease of forum combat, upgrades and other available purchases at the hamlet will also be very simplified.

Otherwise, this looks great! Here's hoping we get more players. ^_^

Offline levant

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 02:16:58 AM »
Have yall heard about darkest dungeon 2 being in the works? The hype is real
Name: Morgan (And Morgan)
Class: Houndmaster
STR: 10 (0)
WIS: 10 (0)
DEX: 13 (1)
CON: 14 (2)
INT: 12 (1)
CHA: 16 (3)
HP: 3
Hound’s Rush(CHA): Deal 1 damage to one enemy. Deals an extra damage for every time it hits the same target consecutively. +1 if Marked.
Guard Dog(CHA): Sends dog to guard an ally. Dog becomes target instead of ally and evades 2 attacks before returning. Twice per combat.

Morgan of Morgan&Morgan doesn't seem to take much as seriously as he should, and most often jokes around with his dog who shares his name. All her commands are given in the form of whistling various tunes. Arrived at the hamlet by randomly encountering the stagecoach on a hike and deciding to join in on a whim. The driver seemed happy to have a new guest, so why not. He's friendly to all he meets no matter how they treat him. Even getting punched by a team member would likely end up with him joking about it and brushing it off

And my alt for when his foolishness gets the better of him:
Name: Carol
Class: Plague Doctor
STR: 13 (1)
WIS: 14 (2)
DEX: 15 (2)
CON: 10 (0)
INT: 17 (4)
CHA: 5 (-3 big oof)
Noxious Blast(DEX): Deal 2 damage. Deals an extra damage for every time it hits the same target consecutively.
Incision(DEX): Deal 1 damage. Deals an extra damage for every time it hits the same target consecutively.
Carol is in it for the science. She's learned as much as she can about everything she has access to and wishes to research things yet more curious. The otherworldly happenings around the manor seemed like the perfect. She doesn't care too much about others, though she would ask that you please refrain from dying until after the encounter is over, or at least close to it, so she can perform a proper autopsy on you without being interrupted

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 07:36:40 AM »
Have yall heard about darkest dungeon 2 being in the works? The hype is real
Name: Morgan (And Morgan)
Class: Houndmaster
STR: 10 (0)
WIS: 10 (0)
DEX: 13 (1)
CON: 14 (2)
INT: 12 (1)
CHA: 16 (3)
Hound’s Rush(CHA): Deal 1 damage to one enemy. Deals an extra damage for every time it hits the same target consecutively. +1 if Marked.
Guard Dog(CHA): Sends dog to guard an ally. Dog becomes target instead of ally and evades 2 attacks before returning. Twice per combat.

Morgan of Morgan&Morgan doesn't seem to take much as seriously as he should, and most often jokes around with his dog who shares his name. All her commands are given in the form of whistling various tunes. Arrived at the hamlet by randomly encountering the stagecoach on a hike and deciding to join in on a whim. The driver seemed happy to have a new guest, so why not. He's friendly to all he meets no matter how they treat him. Even getting punched by a team member would likely end up with him joking about it and brushing it off

And my alt for when his foolishness gets the better of him:
Name: Carol
Class: Plague Doctor
STR: 13 (1)
WIS: 14 (2)
DEX: 15 (2)
CON: 10 (0)
INT: 17 (4)
CHA: 5 (-3 big oof)
Noxious Blast(DEX): Deal 2 damage. Deals an extra damage for every time it hits the same target consecutively.
Incision(DEX): Deal 1 damage. Deals an extra damage for every time it hits the same target consecutively.
Carol is in it for the science. She's learned as much as she can about everything she has access to and wishes to research things yet more curious. The otherworldly happenings around the manor seemed like the perfect. She doesn't care too much about others, though she would ask that you please refrain from dying until after the encounter is over, or at least close to it, so she can perform a proper autopsy on you without being interrupted
Definitely hype.

I think for Carol, the Intelligence mod would be 3, and Charisma mod would technically be a -5 based on the parameters I put (it's not how DnD does it, I know). That being said. I think I'll make -5 the lowest modifier you can possibly have on a starting roll. And in-game there will be opportunities to raise your stats.

Just waiting on two more players before I set up the two threads (one for posting rules/OOC, the other for the main game/interactions)!

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2019, 08:26:27 AM »
Also TheHangedMan , levant, I've just come up with a starter positive quirk for each of your characters:

Due to Bitter Quip being able to handle rough crowds, I'll give them Hardy: +1 to Constitution Stat. Meaning CON will be at 16 and mod will be at +3.

Morgan's willingness to be friendly even in extreme circumstances will earn them Light-Hearted: -1 Stress during any Stress inducing event. So there's a chance that some stressful situations may not stress them at all.

Seeing as Carol seems intensely focused on her research and work, I'll give them Precise: +1 to Dexterity stat. Meaning DEX will be at 16 and mod will be at +3.

I'll be giving starter positive quirks to other players as well.

Offline TheHangedMan

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2019, 06:32:50 PM »
Made the adjustment to Bitter Quip.

Also, I imagine Morgan and BQ should get along. BQ is the kind of guy that comes up behind ya, slaps ya hard on the back, and says " 'Sup, fucker?" With a big, hardy belly laugh. He can be a bit of a jerk, but he's also a total bro--ain't nobody messin' with his buddies without getting stabbed (with his quips or his glaive, you know, whichever seems more appropriate). Plus, someone that appreciates a good laugh is a decent fellow in BQ's opinion.

Well, he probably wouldn't say 'sup, as that is a bit too modern slang, but I think y'all get the gist of what I mean.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:25:47 AM »
It seems like we've been waiting a while for new players.

TheHangedMan, would you consider making an extra character, and both you and levant could play both of your characters?

Otherwise, the wait will have to continue, as I don't feel it right for me to play player characters when I'm DMing.

Offline Madam Striga

• Lady of the Hoot Birds ☽ Book-Bosomed ☽ Shortstack Aficionado ☽ Sorceress Owl ☽ Bi-Bi Birdy ☽ Rainbow Writer ☽ The Strix ☽ Athene Noctua
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • Every hour is coffee hour
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 05:58:47 AM »
Can I throw my hat into the ring?

Offline Hamadryad

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 06:12:59 AM »
I'm interested, but are there lewd fates for those who perish in the dungeon?

Offline Boastful

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
If this is played with the character's bad-ends being lewd instead of snuff focused I'd also be up for something!

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 01:20:38 PM »
Can I throw my hat into the ring?

Absolutely! Just go ahead and create a character with the traits listed in the first post.

And to answer everyone else's questions, this is meant to be a fairly character-story-centered game instead of smut. There is a possibility that a series of events could lead to a more 'lewd' bad end, but it's not a guarantee.

Offline TheHangedMan

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2019, 03:09:21 PM »
I don't like playing multiple characters, but it seems like we have the situation solved.

Offline Madam Striga

• Lady of the Hoot Birds ☽ Book-Bosomed ☽ Shortstack Aficionado ☽ Sorceress Owl ☽ Bi-Bi Birdy ☽ Rainbow Writer ☽ The Strix ☽ Athene Noctua
  • Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2019, 04:10:32 PM »
Absolutely! Just go ahead and create a character with the traits listed in the first post.

And to answer everyone else's questions, this is meant to be a fairly character-story-centered game instead of smut. There is a possibility that a series of events could lead to a more 'lewd' bad end, but it's not a guarantee.

I'll throw something up tomorrow

Offline Vonandi

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2019, 09:46:44 AM »
How will character appearance be decided? Will we be using descriptions or will everyone just look like their in game counterpart?

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
How will character appearance be decided? Will we be using descriptions or will everyone just look like their in game counterpart?

Everyone can write up the appearance of their own character, though the closer your character looks to in-game class, the easier it will be for everyone else to know what they look like. As long as it can be recognizable as a character from that class, I think most anything else can be changed. (eg. Abomination needs to have chains and brand mark, Occultist needs the candle/skull item that the class holds, Crusader will need some amount of armor, Leper needs the mask, etc.)

Offline TheHangedMan

• Lord
  • Addict
  • Culture Clash.
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »
I figured on writing out a description, since I can't reliably find a picture that works (almost every male glaive fighter is bulked down in platemail). But I figured I'd hit the key notes--light, sort of patchwork armor (leathers and furs), and the glaive.

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »
I figured on writing out a description, since I can't reliably find a picture that works (almost every male glaive fighter is bulked down in platemail). But I figured I'd hit the key notes--light, sort of patchwork armor (leathers and furs), and the glaive.

Yeah honestly, pictures are not required. I write out descriptions of my characters all the time, it's perfectly fine with me.

Offline levant

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2019, 01:01:15 AM »
Might as well get a physical description up for mine:
Morgan (the man) His hair is black and straight no matter how messy, it drapes low enough that it usually covers his face, though the occasional glance past it reveals tan skin, a smooth shave, and some tinted glasses obscuring his eyes. His age is hard to gauge, but it's safe to assume he's in his late twenties. His clothes are flashier than they probably should be, exotic and bought from some traveling merchant, though they've seen better days, with faded colors and starting to wear thin around the knees. They're rather bulky, partially masking the fact that the man wearing them is rather scrawny. In place of the more standard club other houndmasters could be seen using, Morgan prefers a sturdy cane with a metal top. Every so often he'll use it to play fetch, so there's a good amount of toothmarks, but otherwise it's held up surprisingly well
Morgan (the dog) A female husky about 5 or 6 years old, and in great shape. Her owner clearly takes better care of her than himself, considering how clean and well-groomed her fur is, which is made more apparent by how light her fur color is, being primarily white, with some grey around the head and along her back. Very clearly more alert than her owner, and probably deserves a better one, but the two are inseparable. She doesn't wear a collar.

(Seems like I don't need to worry about Carol yet)

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2019, 02:40:31 AM »
Might as well get a physical description up for mine:
Morgan (the man) His hair is black and straight no matter how messy, it drapes low enough that it usually covers his face, though the occasional glance past it reveals tan skin, a smooth shave, and some tinted glasses obscuring his eyes. His age is hard to gauge, but it's safe to assume he's in his late twenties. His clothes are flashier than they probably should be, exotic and bought from some traveling merchant, though they've seen better days, with faded colors and starting to wear thin around the knees. They're rather bulky, partially masking the fact that the man wearing them is rather scrawny. In place of the more standard club other houndmasters could be seen using, Morgan prefers a sturdy cane with a metal top. Every so often he'll use it to play fetch, so there's a good amount of toothmarks, but otherwise it's held up surprisingly well
Morgan (the dog) A female husky about 5 or 6 years old, and in great shape. Her owner clearly takes better care of her than himself, considering how clean and well-groomed her fur is, which is made more apparent by how light her fur color is, being primarily white, with some grey around the head and along her back. Very clearly more alert than her owner, and probably deserves a better one, but the two are inseparable. She doesn't wear a collar.

(Seems like I don't need to worry about Carol yet)

Looks great! Might consider starting the game even with just 3 player characters to start. As soon as we have one more character sheet ready, I'll start making the threads and get everything set up for everyone! ^_^

Offline Madam Striga

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2019, 04:16:28 PM »
Apologies, I should be able to do something tomorrow c:

Offline Madam Striga

• Lady
  • Seducer
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »

Character Name: Lucrece (F)
Class: Vestal

Attribute Stats:
STR: 12 (+1)
DEX: 5 (-3)
CON: 9 (-1)
INT:  7 (-2)
WIS: 14 (+2)
HP: 4

Divine Comfort(WIS): Heals 1 HP for all allies.
Divine Grace (No Roll): Heal 2 HP to one ally.

It was the chapel which drew Lucrece to the Hamlet, in the beginning. Driven from the place where she had been cloistered for so many years, after a disagreement she cares not to discuss, she was without a place in the world. The Hamlet seemed a good place to resume her prayer and meditation. If it was shadowed and the land beset, then at least she might do some good whilst there - that was what Lucrece supposed, at least. After weeks of watching other men and women delving into fiend-infested places, fighting back wickedness, Lucrece can no longer sit idle. She considers herself no great hero, not so pure of heart as she should be...but she will not let others go without the relief she might bring to their ailments any longer.

APPEARANCE COMING SOON
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 04:21:07 PM by Madam Striga »

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2019, 04:42:49 PM »

Character Name: Lucrece (F)
Class: Vestal

Attribute Stats:
STR: 12 (+1)
DEX: 5 (-3)
CON: 9 (-1)
INT:  7 (-2)
WIS: 14 (+2)
HP: 4

Divine Comfort(WIS): Heals 1 HP for all allies.
Divine Grace (No Roll): Heal 2 HP to one ally.

It was the chapel which drew Lucrece to the Hamlet, in the beginning. Driven from the place where she had been cloistered for so many years, after a disagreement she cares not to discuss, she was without a place in the world. The Hamlet seemed a good place to resume her prayer and meditation. If it was shadowed and the land beset, then at least she might do some good whilst there - that was what Lucrece supposed, at least. After weeks of watching other men and women delving into fiend-infested places, fighting back wickedness, Lucrece can no longer sit idle. She considers herself no great hero, not so pure of heart as she should be...but she will not let others go without the relief she might bring to their ailments any longer.

APPEARANCE COMING SOON

Ooh! Looks great! I think I'm comfortable making the threads now. I'll post when I have the links ready! People are still free to join in!

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2019, 10:33:29 PM »
The links are up! Feel free to let me know of any questions, comments, or concerns!

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=306032.0 (OOC thread)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=306045.0 (Main Game, the posting order will be the order in which I have the character profiles listed in the OOC thread. Please stick to it as much as possible.)