You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 15, 2019, 04:54:55 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Lord of the Rings book question (Fellowship)  (Read 247 times)

Offline DallasTopic starter

• Roleplaying Enthusiast, Squall Fanboy, RTK Fanboy, Crazy Worldbuilder, Friend to All
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
Lord of the Rings book question (Fellowship)
« on: April 28, 2019, 08:40:28 PM »
Yeah, super important, I know... but I am trying to remember a fact and how a certain part of the story in The Fellowship of the Ring went down. For analogy purposes that I am trying to compare to on a different topic, altogether.

In the book, if I recall, Gandalf deals with some ring wraiths on Weathertop. Gandalf was ahead of Aragorn's party of Frodo, Sam, etc. What I am trying to remember is: Did we the reader get to see Gandalf's encounter or was it done via exposition in Aragorn's party. My copy of this book was damaged, unfortunately.

Offline Gypsy

Re: Lord of the Rings book question (Fellowship)
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 07:09:42 AM »
The flashes of light from the battle are seen by Frodo and company, but Gandalf's battle is described as he reconnects with Frodo at Rivendel.

From The Fellowship of the Ring
"I galloped to Weathertop like a gale, and I reached it before sundown on my second day from Bree-and they were there before me. They drew away from me, for they felt the coming of my anger and they dared not face it while the Sun was in the sky. But they closed round at night, and I was besieged on the hill-top, in the old ring of Amon Sûl.

Offline DallasTopic starter

• Roleplaying Enthusiast, Squall Fanboy, RTK Fanboy, Crazy Worldbuilder, Friend to All
  • Knight
  • Enchanter
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 2
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 11:14:15 AM »
Thank you! Between not reading it in a while combined with Peter Jackson memory, I couldn't quite remember this bit from the book. All I remembered was that Gandalf fought them up there instead of Aragorn.

Offline Inkidu

• E's Resident Girlomancer, Dedicated Philogynist, The Compartive of a Superlative, SLG's Sammich Life-Giver
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 1
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2019, 12:25:27 PM »
Thank you! Between not reading it in a while combined with Peter Jackson memory, I couldn't quite remember this bit from the book. All I remembered was that Gandalf fought them up there instead of Aragorn.
Tolkien's very hands off with his action pieces, so it's a pretty good bet you'll hear about it expositionally.