You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

October 15, 2019, 04:00:40 AM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: Wireless headphone advice?  (Read 199 times)

Offline BlinkinTopic starter

• Court Jester extraordinaire!
  • Lord
  • Addict
  • I try to be good, but it's such hard work!
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
Wireless headphone advice?
« on: April 16, 2019, 06:43:44 AM »
Hi Gang:

My current wireless headphones, a cursiar void, has developed issues with holding, or charging at all and I'm stuck stuck to my computer, or a wall outlet to use them. This defeats the wireless element, but I really don't know what to go looking for that'll fit my budget. I'm hoping for some advice on the topic and what my options might be.

The primary elements that I need are:
Battery life (If I have to recharge the thing every 4 or 5 hours, it's pointless to me.)
Range from the computer (Again, I need to be able to move about to do things that I need to do while still being able to hear what I'm listening to)
reliability (I like the Cursair, but the battery life has never been great, they cut out if I leave the room and within about a month, the battery life suddenly declined from about 14 hours to 5 minutes.)
Price tag (I'm a poor blind man and the most that I can afford is about $100)

I really can live without the microphone and I really don't use them for gaming so much as a way for me to use my screen reader without keeping the whole house trying to do their own thing without having to hear what I'm doing)  I've looked on line for some options in my price range, but all I'm finding are gaming headsets and of those, only the TurTurtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450. seems to meet my requirements, but the overall rating is only about 3.6 out of 5 and that worries me. I've seen lots and lots of post on the cursair forums about battery life and problems with charging, so I'm wary of getting another Void.

So, anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate anything anyone has to offer on the subject.

Thanks, Blinkin

Offline Geraint

• RomanceCrack Dealer and Propigator of Plot Bunnies (when the spirit moves) Cunning Linguist and Doggerel Dispenser
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Location: Someplace Historical, Hysterical, Romantic, or Fantastic
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait"
  • View My Rolls
Re: Wireless headphone advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2019, 08:29:40 AM »
Hi Gang:

My current wireless headphones, a cursiar void, has developed issues with holding, or charging at all and I'm stuck stuck to my computer, or a wall outlet to use them. This defeats the wireless element, but I really don't know what to go looking for that'll fit my budget. I'm hoping for some advice on the topic and what my options might be.

The primary elements that I need are:
Battery life (If I have to recharge the thing every 4 or 5 hours, it's pointless to me.)
Range from the computer (Again, I need to be able to move about to do things that I need to do while still being able to hear what I'm listening to)
reliability (I like the Cursair, but the battery life has never been great, they cut out if I leave the room and within about a month, the battery life suddenly declined from about 14 hours to 5 minutes.)
Price tag (I'm a poor blind man and the most that I can afford is about $100)

I really can live without the microphone and I really don't use them for gaming so much as a way for me to use my screen reader without keeping the whole house trying to do their own thing without having to hear what I'm doing)  I've looked on line for some options in my price range, but all I'm finding are gaming headsets and of those, only the TurTurtle Beach Ear Force Stealth 450. seems to meet my requirements, but the overall rating is only about 3.6 out of 5 and that worries me. I've seen lots and lots of post on the cursair forums about battery life and problems with charging, so I'm wary of getting another Void.

So, anyone have any suggestions? I would really appreciate anything anyone has to offer on the subject.

Thanks, Blinkin

https://www.hammacher.com/product/long-range-wireless-tv-headphones?promo=electronics-audio

My wife has been using these for years to watch TV.  They have great range, no interference, don't have to be in the same room.  The charge lasts for hours, and they recharge overnight on the transmitter, or any time you take them off and put them back on top of the transmitter.

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2019, 08:54:25 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but these seem like hey're not going to be usable with a desktop PC and I really need something that'll work with a PC (I don't have an IPhone, IPad or other device that this item might be used for).

I'm probably the last adult American left in the world without a cellphone. I was going to look at something the first of the month, but my wife just replaced her failing IPhone 6 with an 8 and there went the extra money in the budget... I swear she doesn't want me to have a phone. *chuckle*

Offline Geraint

• RomanceCrack Dealer and Propigator of Plot Bunnies (when the spirit moves) Cunning Linguist and Doggerel Dispenser
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Location: Someplace Historical, Hysterical, Romantic, or Fantastic
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait"
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2019, 10:22:04 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion, but these seem like hey're not going to be usable with a desktop PC and I really need something that'll work with a PC (I don't have an IPhone, IPad or other device that this item might be used for).

I'm probably the last adult American left in the world without a cellphone. I was going to look at something the first of the month, but my wife just replaced her failing IPhone 6 with an 8 and there went the extra money in the budget... I swear she doesn't want me to have a phone. *chuckle*
Why wouldn't they be useful with a desktop?  If the sound cord for the base can plug into the headphone jack on a TV, it can plug into the same kind of jack on a PC.  Actually I can't imagine how it would work with a cell phone.  We have the base plugged into the TV and the electric cord plugged into the wall outlet and it sends a wireless signal to the headphones, which work on rechargable batteries that recharge when the headphones are not in use and placed back onto the base.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 10:36:14 AM by Geraint »

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2019, 04:05:21 PM »
The site suggests it has a 3.5 millimeter jack, and Geraint seems to confirm it. Does your desktop not have a similar jack? If not, what are you currently using? If it has any sort of onboard audio, it should...

• Lord
  • Addict
  • View My Rolls
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 04:43:46 PM »
Price is an major issue, so I finally decided to go with the Turtle. It's slightly cheaper than the other options and hopefully will do the trick.

I appreciate the imput and advice from everyone.