You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

June 18, 2019, 10:22:32 PM

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Platinum Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: User Location on the Site  (Read 314 times)

Online KitteredgeTopic starter

User Location on the Site
« on: March 26, 2019, 12:14:06 PM »
One cool feature of the sight is the ability to see who is in a thread at any given time.

Curious... If I have multiple threads open in various tabs, or even my phone and computer at once, does it only record my whereabouts as my last active movement?

It also seems to time out after a while. Say, if someone walks away from their computer without logging off, they register as 'present' on the thread but then wink out at some point. Is that right? Or will they be present there until they return?

Online Ariel

Re: User Location on the Site
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2019, 12:24:04 PM »
You are shown to be viewing the last thread that you were active in, down to the last second. So even if you had three Elliquiy tabs open, you would only be shown as active in the last thread you opened, regardless of which one you’re viewing. You are shown to be viewing that thread until you dip down below the list of active users that is displayed on the front page, and then you’re considered offline and are no longer shown in that thread until you refresh the page, even if you are still technically viewing the page. Make sense?

Offline Geraint

• RomanceCrack Dealer and Propigator of Plot Bunnies (when the spirit moves) Cunning Linguist
  • Knight
  • Addict
  • Location: Someplace Historical, Hysterical, Romantic, or Fantastic
  • "There's no rush...but I can't wait"
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2019, 02:27:55 PM »
You stay in Who's Online for thirty minutes after your last click unless you actually log out, in which case I think (but could be wrong) that you disappear immediately.

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
The session implementation for SMF is pretty convoluted and sometimes gets confused, but the above is the case 99,999 times out of 100,000.

Online KitteredgeTopic starter

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2019, 03:09:14 PM »
Makes sense. Thanks for the insight and explanation!

Offline Nymphadora

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 06:56:33 AM »
This is very interesting and answers my own similar question that I've wondered about for ages.

If I could tag onto this thread with a similar question: What does it mean with it says Unknown Action in the who's online? That was what I always thought would come up when someone was surfing around E with multiple tabs open.

Offline Theta Sigma

• Liege - Renegade of Time - The Oncoming Storm - ΘΣ - Purveyor of Anthro-Smut - He/him
  • Oracle
  • Incarnal
  • The dreamer of improbable dreams
  • My Role Play Preferences
  • View My Rolls
  • Referrals: 0
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 07:06:48 AM »
This is very interesting and answers my own similar question that I've wondered about for ages.

If I could tag onto this thread with a similar question: What does it mean with it says Unknown Action in the who's online? That was what I always thought would come up when someone was surfing around E with multiple tabs open.
I believe it's for when a user is looking at Bookmarks as I've never seen that on the list, or using the O&O matrix feature. This is what I've deduced anyway.

Offline Oniya

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 11:56:35 AM »
Also, if they're in a board that you don't have access to - like the L-Only boards.

Online Ariel

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 12:25:37 PM »
Also, if they're in a board that you don't have access to - like the L-Only boards.

That usually shows up as Nothing, or nothing you can see...

Not sure what Unknown Action means.

Offline Bly

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 12:43:23 PM »
From what I remember about SMF, at least 2.0+ versions (which is what E's using at the moment, I think?), 'unknown action' is what displays when there's a modification installed but it's not declaring properly or something like that. Though I may not be remembering that right.

Offline Nymphadora

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 12:50:48 PM »
I've seen Nothing, or nothing you can see...

All this is interesting. Partly because it's soooo unknown to most people, it would seem ;)

Thanks for the answers everyone!  :)

Offline Vekseid

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 01:32:23 AM »
Blythe and Ariel are corrects : )

Offline Nymphadora

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 06:36:39 AM »
Ok cool!

Thanks again!