You are either not logged in or not registered with our community. Click here to register.

September 22, 2017, 05:44:04 PM
Top RP Sites - Vote Daily

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Click here if you are having problems.
Default Wide Screen Beige Lilac Rainbow Black & Blue October Send us your theme!

Wiki Blogs Dicebot

Author Topic: The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies  (Read 190563 times)

Offline MathimTopic starter

Re: The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies
« Reply #3475 on: August 22, 2017, 10:15:23 PM »
I dare someone to have take a drink every time he said. "I'm the immortal Iron Fist." In both Iron Fist and Defenders  :P

Dude, they even made fun of him for that in the show.

Pretty disappointing. Somehow, bringing them all together, instead of making them all feel more likeable, actually made me care less about them.

Offline Mister Ugly

« Reply #3476 on: September 02, 2017, 11:04:32 PM »
A big rumor has it that MCU is recasting the entire Avenger movie with a group of well known and seasoned stars!
Just a rumor so far but they did leak a new cast poster!

MU

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

« Reply #3477 on: September 03, 2017, 12:40:14 AM »
A big rumor has it that MCU is recasting the entire Avenger movie with a group of well known and seasoned stars!
Just a rumor so far but they did leak a new cast poster!

MU

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Well, they did Muppet Treasure Island and a Muppet Christmas Carol, so it's not like they haven't done Muppet-version adaptations of existing literature.

Offline mia h

« Reply #3478 on: September 03, 2017, 01:36:07 AM »
There are a few reviews of Inhumans first two episodes doing the rounds as it's been released on IMAX in some places. The general verdict is that it look pretty but the characters and dialogue are on the two dimensional side and it's hard to like the people you're supposed to like. But Lockjaw is meant to be good.

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #3479 on: September 17, 2017, 09:38:52 PM »
Things been pretty quiet around here as of late since Inhumans and Defenders so I'm going to ask something.

About two years back DC announced they were working on a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie.

The second Blue Beetle; Ted Kord that is and not the more commonly known Jaime Reyes. Apparently it was supposed to be something like a Buddy Cop movie from what I gathered. Anyone hear any further news about this? Maybe its not in development yet? However I wouldn't put it past the execs to have already dropped the idea in favor of doing something else.

That said, I wouldn't really mind a Buddy Cop Superhero movie. The superhero genre has already dipped into so many other avenues from mythology to science fiction with great success. Plus after seeing so many heroes struggling to get along when they team up (Examples from Avengers to Justice League) it would really be cool to see two heroes being total pals with one another like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle II.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:49:48 PM by CaptainNexus616 »

Offline wander

« Reply #3480 on: September 18, 2017, 07:23:43 AM »
No, it's been pretty quiet over at DC tbh recently with the film side of things. I'm wondering if they'll be trimming down and moving away from the DCEU with The Batman mentioned to not be a part of it and also a Joker origin movie also being a stand-alone.

One thing that has been doing the rounds over at the MCU is thoughts on Hawkeye becoming Ronin, like in the 2006 era comics.

« Reply #3481 on: September 19, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »
Things been pretty around here as of late since Inhumans and Defenders so I'm going to ask something.

About two years back DC announced they were working on a Booster Gold and Blue Beetle movie.

The second Blue Beetle; Ted Kord that is and not the more commonly known Jaime Reyes. Apparently it was supposed to be something like a Buddy Cop movie from what I gathered. Anyone hear any further news about this? Maybe its not in development yet? However I wouldn't put it past the execs to have already dropped the idea in favor of doing something else.

That said, I wouldn't really mind a Buddy Cop Superhero movie. The superhero genre has already dipped into so many other avenues from mythology to science fiction with great success. Plus after seeing so many heroes struggling to get along when they team up (Examples from Avengers to Justice League) it would really be cool to see two heroes being total pals with one another like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle II.

Don't you have it backwards? Wasn't Ted Kord the FIRST Blue Beetle and Jaime Reyes came along later and became the second?

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #3482 on: September 19, 2017, 02:48:54 PM »
Don't you have it backwards? Wasn't Ted Kord the FIRST Blue Beetle and Jaime Reyes came along later and became the second?

Nope, originally Dan Garret was the one who found the Blue Beetle Scarab during an archaeology trip to Egypt. During a battle with Kord's evil uncle he perished and the Scarab passed onto him.

However the Scarab would not bond with him as it did for Garret. Despite this, he still used his wealth and resource at Kord Industries -Surprise folks another superhero with a rich company- to become the second Blue Beetle.

After Kord died and the Scarab was lost, it eventually found its way into the possession of, and bonded to Jamie Reyes, the third Blue Beetle.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:51:05 PM by CaptainNexus616 »

Offline mia h

« Reply #3483 on: September 19, 2017, 05:01:24 PM »
After Kord died and the Scarab was lost..
Not exactly, Ted used the Scarab in the same way Dan Garret did during Crisis on Infinite Earth's but then 'misplaced' it after the fight with the Anti-Monitor. But at the end of 52 (The year Batman, Superman & Wonder Woman all went AWOL) it's revealed that Booster Gold travelled back in time and stole the Scarab from Ted during what would have been Ted's first meeting with Booster although Booster first meeting with Ted would be some time later.

Now to make matters even more confusing Ted was in possession of the Scarab before Infinite Crisis (which happened before 52, so presumably future Booster returned to Ted at some point) but it was taken by the wizard Shazam because it was magical, except it turned out the Scarab isn't a magical artefact but advanced alien tech. But it's not really alien tech or at least according to Dr Fate who said it was magical.

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #3484 on: September 19, 2017, 05:56:11 PM »
Gotta love how they just can't decide if the Scarab is magic or tech.

Offline mia h

« Reply #3485 on: September 20, 2017, 01:16:59 AM »
It's not like they've changed their mind every five minutes, it was magic for 45 years then it disappeared altogether for 20 years then it was alien tech for 10 years before reverting to the original. Considering DC has done a significant reboot\shake up every 5 years or so, the scarab has been pretty stable.

Offline wander

« Reply #3486 on: September 20, 2017, 04:39:54 AM »
It's alien magitech. There, decided.  ;D

Offline mia h

« Reply #3487 on: September 20, 2017, 05:47:07 AM »
It's alien magitech. There, decided.  ;D
or they are channelling Arthur C Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." so all magic would look like really advanced tech.

Offline CaptainNexus616

« Reply #3488 on: Yesterday at 08:45:50 PM »
or they are channelling Arthur C Clarke "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." so all magic would look like really advanced tech.

I'll buy that.  You made some fair points Mia.

In other news, this flew under my radar for a whole day before I noticed it in my suggestion bars.

Personally, I'm really loving that music. Can someone help me out and pin it down? Is it Metallica or Megadeth?

My only ire, is the release date is not confirmed yet. It only say's 2017 and right away I'm getting this vibe it could be delayed to 2018 due to their only being little more than 2 months left in this year.

« Reply #3489 on: Yesterday at 09:26:30 PM »
I already cancelled my Netflix subscription after Defenders. I just don't know if they're going to get better. It's usually, one misfire at a time, but they did two in a row with Iron Fist and Defenders. I'm starting to lose faith, at least in the TV stuff.

That trailer does look pretty awesome (but we've been fooled many a time by those kinds of things). Kind of weird that it looks like his wife is killed by a masked assailant in their own home when in Daredevil, it was supposed to have been in a public place by unknown shooters. Unless they're retconning it (which makes no sense) then either they're going to say that it was a mistake, that Karen's investigation was the wrong John Doe, or that scene in the trailer was just a dream (which is pretty believable given his trauma). Also a short glimpse of Karen in the trailer; wonder how big a role she'll be playing. I wish they'd gotten a guy more like the Microchip from the comics instead of a skinny dude with a big beard.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:31:10 PM by Mathim »