News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Fifty Shades trilogy by E.L. James

Started by Damnedangel, April 22, 2012, 09:55:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Damnedangel

So today I started to read a book called Fifty Shades of Gray after a friend of mine recommended it. To be honest I didn't do any research on it and when I got to around chapter 4 or 5 the twist completely shocked me! I mean I'm not one to read these type of books I'm more of a horror woman but damn!!!!!!! I'm sitting here bright red as I read this book, its one of those that once you begin reading you cannot put down. It is the first of trilogy and I cannot wait to finish the first book and get the other two!

So here is a summary on the Fifty Shades of Gray:
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
When literature student Anastasia Steele goes to interview young entrepreneur Christian Grey, she encounters a man who is beautiful, brilliant, and intimidating. The unworldly, innocent Ana is startled to realize she wants this man and, despite his enigmatic reserve, finds she is desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her, too—but on his own terms.

Shocked yet thrilled by Grey’s singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success—his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving family—Grey is a man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a daring, passionately physical affair, Ana discovers Christian Grey’s secrets and explores her own dark desires.

Just a little quote that I found quite amuzing and made me chuckle hehe ;) 
"How would you like your egg?" I ask tartly. He smiles. "Thoroughly whisked and beaten" he smirks.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum - If You Seek Peace Prepare For War.
We all have multiple personalities. The Average is three, but some people have more.
There's the face you wear for your friends and family, the one you let the outside world see.
Then there's the face you see everytime you look in the mirror.

Beguile's Mistress

Umm...  For the legions of us who haven't even started yet could you spoiler it please?

jouzinka

Thank you for the recommendation, Damnedangel. It looks like a great story to read. :-) *adds on her reading list*
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Torch

Eh, it's been done before...and better.

See "The Story of O".

I don't get all the hoopla over "Fifty Shades". It's as if people have never seen written erotica before.  ::)

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle, when the sun comes up, you'd better be running."  Sir Roger Bannister

Erotic is using a feather. Kinky is using the whole chicken.

On's and Off's

Star Safyre

I don't know if I could get into it knowing that it started as fanfiction (Twilight fanfic, for what it's worth) and has since had the serial numbers filed off for legal publication.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Shjade

"How would you like your egg?" I ask tartly. He smiles. "Thoroughly whisked and beaten" he smirks.

The structure, it burns us. We feel pain.

Seriously though, why would you follow up "he smiles" with dialogue tagged "he smirks?" Aside from smirking not being a means of speech...

Yeah, I'll give it a pass.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Silverfyre

Even the character names burn.  Ow.

But hey, if you enjoy it, awesome.  I do echo the recommendation for "The Story of O". 

Oniya

Quote from: Star Safyre on April 23, 2012, 05:36:22 PM
I don't know if I could get into it knowing that it started as fanfiction (Twilight fanfic, for what it's worth) and has since had the serial numbers filed off for legal publication.

That almost makes it worth getting in an 'Eye of Argos' sort of way.  (For those unfamiliar, Eye of Argos is probably the worst piece of fantasy fiction written to date.  There used to be a casual competition at science fiction conventions where people would see how far they could read before breaking out in laughter.)

But only if it's being distributed on blue mimeograph sheets.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Shjade

Hm. I bet I could win a competition like that. Reading bad writing just makes me groan and/or tear up, as a rule, not laugh.

Though I might still have to stop reading before some people laughed reading it, I guess. You can only read terribad for so long, after all.
◕/◕'s

rustytiger

Read it, have read been reading lots of erotica stuff lately so it's not that juicy. Hate the main character reminds me of bella from twilight. It's an ok book and some how addicting but only because I want Christan to turn Ana into a dirty slut bag begging for sexy on her knees. >.>

I have read better books but somethings you need bad ones to make the good ones seem better and more amazing.
I'm slowly coming back after years long hiatus. Still going through all the new rules and updates so I'm sorry if I mess up.

Ons & Offs
Absences
Idea Thread

Oniya

Quote from: rustytiger on May 09, 2012, 08:20:47 PM
Hate the main character reminds me of bella from twilight.

That's not entirely a mere 'passing resemblance'. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Ashleebabe

See I read the Triology and agree that I have read more 'mature' literature however I enjoyed the depth the characters actually had compared to Twilight. It was strangely addciting and kind of funny in many ways.

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Darius

Someone gifted me with the audiobook.

I've been listening to it in chapter installments near the end of my day at work. The woman reading it is hilarious - though I'm not sure she means to be.
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

Star Safyre

Quote from: Darius on May 11, 2012, 08:11:44 PM
Someone gifted me with the audiobook.

I've been listening to it in chapter installments near the end of my day at work. The woman reading it is hilarious - though I'm not sure she means to be.

50 Shades of Grey the Audiobook, read by Gilbert Gottfried

Does she sound better than this?

Shjade

I laughed at that far more than I should have.
◕/◕'s

Star Safyre

Nothing like Gilbert Gottfried shouting about fisting to brighten your day.  ;D

Oniya

Thank you.  Thank you for that.  I've made Mr. Oniya almost fall out of his seat.  (Or should I say he 'almost had a h'at attack and DIED from dat...')  He's got one heck of a Rule 34 image in his head.  It involves Jasmine.

Darius

Quote from: Star Safyre on May 18, 2012, 09:13:51 AM
Does she sound better than this?

Damn.. anything sounds better than Gilbert. Though I did enjoy Ellen's rendition.... "Ohhh not the pancakes"
When the avalanche has started, the pebbles no longer get to vote.
Ons and Offs
absence to make hearts grow fonder
Story ideas
Darius & His Ramblings
No one is an unjust villain in their own mind… we are all the hero of our own story.” A Lucio

Iniquitous

I tried to read 50sog. I really did. I made it - alright, I forced myself - through chapter one and had to stop. I wanted to shove red hot pokers through my eyes. Or better yet through the Ana's eyes. Cutting her tongue out would have been nice as well. I've also been contemplating smacking my friend who recommended I read it upside the head with the book. I didn't find out till after I distanced myself from the book that this originally started out as Master of the Universe online and was a fanfic based off Twilight. That explained soooo very much - like why I absolutely despised Ana. I cannot blame SMeyers for the horrible prose, that lays squarely on E.L. James' shoulders.

I do have some serious issues with these books though on top of the lackluster sex, the one dimensional characters, the prose, the fact that I wanted the characters to choke to death and then spontaneously erupt into flames.

Primarily the way James writes about BDSM. She presents it as if it is something that a person needs to be cured of. That someone interested in BDSM is broken and needs to be saved. I mean, just... ughs. I skimmed through enough of the first book to know that this woman has absolutely NO idea about BDSM and I will not be reading the other two books. I mean - the contract to keep Ana from talking to anyone?? The way he took her virginity?? The ripping the tampon out to shove himself in?? Just... shoot me. Besides, I suspect that I know how it will end - Ana will 'save' Grey from his need for BDSM and they'll live happily ever after.  >:(

The fact that this is being bought by a movie studio and turned into a movie makes me want to bash my head into a wall. Or hurriedly regurgitate some erotica and get it published so I can be a millionaire. I mean, hell - if SMeyers and EL James can be published and get movie deals than I am pretty damn confident that I can.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Will

So this book is in first person, present tense?  That's an... interesting choice.  Are there any other well-known novels written from that POV?

Also, this boggles my mind.

O.o
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Will on June 12, 2012, 09:07:49 PM
So this book is in first person, present tense?  That's an... interesting choice.  Are there any other well-known novels written from that POV?

Also, this boggles my mind.

O.o

-sighs-

How does trash like this get published.  I mean really.

And this is becoming a movie... 
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Will

They're going to make a movie out of a book full of sex?  Creative camera angles and fade-to-black can get you through a couple of sex scenes in a movie, but as I understand it, there's quite a bit of fucking in Fifty Shades.  And in some detail, too (although the detail seems to stop once the vagina comes into the picture. :P).  Keeping an R rating would be a hell of a feat.

- Jack Kerouac

Tumult

Quote from: Will on June 12, 2012, 09:07:49 PM

One of my favorite authors writes in first person. It's weird at first but once I got into it, it was hard to put the book down. Any of her books. If anyone is curious, the author is Diana Gabaldon and reading her 'Outlandish' series is well worth it.

As for this book, I've read samples and I'm really not impressed.

Will

Yeah, I've read a handful of books in first person.  The Kushiel's books by Jacqueline Carey, for example.  I think it's the present tense that really throws me off.  And the combination of the two gives it a really strange feel. : /

- Jack Kerouac

Tumult

Quote from: Will on June 12, 2012, 10:58:15 PM
Yeah, I've read a handful of books in first person.  The Kushiel's books by Jacqueline Carey, for example.  I think it's the present tense that really throws me off.  And the combination of the two gives it a really strange feel. : /

True to that. Probably one of the reasons why reading a bit of Fifty Shades was so weird for me. Also, Kushiel's books are amazing.