WH40000 - what's your opinion?

Started by Beorning, August 09, 2014, 03:58:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Hmm. Yesterday, I got hit with an annoying thought: I'm nearly 36. Am I too old to be playing with toy soldiers..?

Help me beat the life out of that thought, people!  ;D

TheGlyphstone

C.S. Lewis once said,
Quote“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 12, 2015, 03:57:11 PM
Hmm. Yesterday, I got hit with an annoying thought: I'm nearly 36. Am I too old to be playing with toy soldiers..?

I'm older than you, and have been playing with my toy soldiers for about 30 years at this point. I see no cause to be stopping :P

At my old club, there were guys 10 and 20 years older than I am.

You're still good yet :)

Also, rumours ...

http://natfka.blogspot.ie/2015/02/sisters-of-battle-and-tzeentch-releases.html

http://natfka.blogspot.ie/2015/02/sisters-of-battle-moulds-done-and.html
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

CountessJess

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 13, 2015, 06:56:33 PM
I'm older than you, and have been playing with my toy soldiers for about 30 years at this point. I see no cause to be stopping :P

Also, rumours ...

http://natfka.blogspot.ie/2015/02/sisters-of-battle-and-tzeentch-releases.html

http://natfka.blogspot.ie/2015/02/sisters-of-battle-moulds-done-and.html

I don't mind admitting, I teared a little. After so long waiting, it finally might actually be true that there's going to be a sister update.

Beorning

What I'm wondering is whether the possible new molds for Sisters will fit with the old ones stylistycally? As in, if they will or will not look as pieces from another game altogether. That could make the army using both the old and the new minis look awkward...

CountessJess

Quote from: Beorning on February 14, 2015, 11:57:55 AM
What I'm wondering is whether the possible new molds for Sisters will fit with the old ones stylistycally? As in, if they will or will not look as pieces from another game altogether. That could make the army using both the old and the new minis look awkward...

The legit status of the Dark Eldar update provides a reassuring precedence that the old and new won't clash too badly.

Oniya

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 13, 2015, 06:56:33 PM

It's all in the phrasing.  'I'm a miniature war-gaming enthusiast' sounds so much more grandiose than 'I play with toy soldiers'.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 14, 2015, 11:57:55 AM

They may evolve a bit, but in general the look should be the same. You ought to see better and more detailed models, more accessories to add on, and so on, but the look should be close to the older ones.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Ah! Good to know...

BTW. Speaking of rumours, are there any about new Daemons codex? I'm considering purchasing it and I'd prefer it not to become obsolete in a few months...

On another note, the work on the dreaded penitent engine continues... I actually finished painting a few of the parts - the legs are completely done, for instance. But I don't expect to finish this things before March... Not when I have about 2 hours per week to paint.

HairyHeretic

Not that I've heard. We're probably going to see some CSM stuff coming, but no daemons.

I've been thinking about painting up another Claw, sort of a penal one. Each member will have come originally from other Claws, and be under sentence of death so have their gauntlets dyed red. They'll be the ones who get the nastiest parts of every mission with the worst odds of survival. I think they could be fun to flesh out through some story writing :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

So, there could be a new CSM codex coming? I'm not especially thrilled with CSMs, but if I get to collecting a Daemon army, they could use some cultist allies...

BTW. A colleague on another forum asked me: what is the most destructive weapon a soldier could wield in the WH40K universe? I suppose the eviscerators could be this for melee weapons, but what about ranged weapons? I know that the meltas are awfully destructive, but they have this short range... What other powerful weapons are there?

Also, he asked me what WH40K weapon could bring a mech-style machine down?

HairyHeretic

There's talk of new Chaos, and what sounds like mini expansions in WD (or more likely electronic release) for the main Chaos God aligned stuff. Not sure on how far off that is though. Personally I'm still hoping for proper Legion rules, as opposed to another renegade chapter that no one actually cares about.

If you're talking man portable, infantry heavy weapons. IG are capable of shoulder firing missile launchers, though stuff like heavy bolters, autocannons and las cannons tend to be tripod mounted.

Space marines are quite capable of carrying them and shooting normally, as well as things like multimeltas, conversion beamers and grav weapons.

The eldar bright and dark lances are perhaps a bit more powerful than a lascannon, but that would be because of how the rules work.

And the railguns on a Tau broadside are probably the most powerful, but I'm not sure if you'd consider them infantry weapons.

You also have weird stuff like the Ork Shokk Attack Gun, which has the potential to be VERY destructive, but isn't reliable.

And if you want to consider special weapons, the eldar D-cannon and the vortex grenades pretty much remove their target from existance.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

TheGlyphstone

I'd suppose in terms of sheer, raw, destructive potential, nothing beats out a vortex grenade. Once it goes off, it can just keep expanding indefinitely and devouring everything nearby. Theoretically, a vortex grenade could eat a planet.

Hemingway

Tau Battlesuits are infantry, though. I mean, in a very technical sense - at least in the same sense that Terminators are infantry.

I couldn't say since the last edition, though. It used to be Broadside Railguns had the same profile as the Hammerhead Railgun ( S10 AP1, 72" range . . . I think ), but lacked the AoE submunitions. Now they're slightly weaker ( and more handheld ).

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Hemingway on February 16, 2015, 01:41:05 PM
Tau Battlesuits are infantry, though. I mean, in a very technical sense - at least in the same sense that Terminators are infantry.

I couldn't say since the last edition, though. It used to be Broadside Railguns had the same profile as the Hammerhead Railgun ( S10 AP1, 72" range . . . I think ), but lacked the AoE submunitions. Now they're slightly weaker ( and more handheld ).

Waaaaaa? Lame.

Beorning

Ha! Let's talk non-exotic weapons, though - and those that can be wielded by ordinary humans. My colleague wants to steal some of the weapon ideas for the SF game he GMs...

TheGlyphstone

Pretty much everything at that scale in 40K is just scaled-up real world stuff or generic sci-fi guns, though. Missile launchers are missile launchers. Heavy bolters are heavy machine guns (that fire gyrojet explosive shells, but w/e). Autocannons are anti-material rifles. Lascannons are anti-tank...laser cannons. There is sadly little that is unique, original, or distinctive when you strip away the 40K flavor trappings.

Beorning

Well, my buddy isn't that verse in SF trappings, so even such unoriginal weapons aren't that obvious to him  :-)

TheGlyphstone

My point was more that they're all just sci-fi versions of real world weapons, so he'd get same results by looking at a list of man-portable heavy weapons used by a modern first-world military and putting 'Laser' or 'photon' or 'antimatter' or some other science-fiction-sounding word on the front of the names. Laser machine gun, antimatter rifle, photon missile launcher, whatever.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wajin

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 16, 2015, 02:46:20 PM
On a separate note

http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/games-workshop-30k-starter-box-and.html

Horus Heresy going mainstream GW? Interesting ... if true.

I would go full Space Marine if that was true :D
I have taken the Oath of the Drake
"--But every sin...is punished, but punished by death, no matter the crime. No matter the scale of the sin. The people of the city live in silence, lest a single word earn them death for speaking out against you."

"Yes. Listen. Listen to the sound of raw silence. Is it not serene?"

HairyHeretic

And it gets more interesting

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/02/30k-heresy-plastics-mechanicus-genestealer-cult.html

Adeptus Mechanicus Codex & models (full release) (Scheduled for April, apparently)
Genestealer Cult Codex & models (Harelquin sized release)
Deathwatch Codex & models (Harelquin sized release)
Horus Heresy Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of 30k range – Mark 4 + Cataphract armors featured, as well as Contemptor
Assassins Standalone box game, on sale for a few months, then models become part of the 40k range.

Also of note:
Greater Daemons all complete
Dark Angels later in the year
Tzeentch later in the year

and from another source re the HH box set

The Box is a Standalone / Starter Box hybrid Gaming Set (like the last two)
-The Box works alone but can be used as a foundation for Crusade Era Armies.
-More sets will come to give HH player a foundation in Plastic
-Legio Mk4 Power Squad box
-Maybe the release of a Termi and a Dread box with neutral designs to combine it with the FW legio specific packs and dreads
-Possible a Rhino I upgrade sprue within a own set
-GW will release only a foundation of HH kits!
-Sells of FW products in the GW-Shop coming soon

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Beorning

Quote from: HairyHeretic on February 17, 2015, 04:01:07 PM
Genestealer Cult Codex & models (Harelquin sized release)

What is a genestealer cult? Are there people worshipping Tyrannids in the WH40K universe?

And what is a Harlequin-sized release?

Greater Daemons all complete

Hmmm... Some new Daemons models???

HairyHeretic

Quote from: Beorning on February 17, 2015, 04:40:42 PM
What is a genestealer cult? Are there people worshipping Tyrannids in the WH40K universe?

Kinda.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Genestealer_Cult

And what is a Harlequin-sized release?

HQ, one or two troop choices, maybe one or two other things (Elites, vehicles etc) .. about the same amount of stuff that is being released for the Harlequins

Hmmm... Some new Daemons models???

Quite possibly.

Cattle die, kinsmen die