[5e] Ostheim (Closed)

Started by RedPhoenix, April 26, 2017, 05:31:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedPhoenix

Update: Closed for now! I'm sure I'll be recruiting again in a few months though so keep your eyes open if you missed out this time. :)

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Hello friends!

Ostheim is a 5e game that has been running for over three months now. The party has won several victories, but time and forum activity have proven more cunning nemeses than even our heroes can all defeat and several have fallen! We need new blood! That's where you come in! We are looking for 2-3 more third level characters to round out the numbers! Newbies are welcome, and I will hold your hand through character creation if you have never done it before (and also if you have!). Also, anyone who applied to this game before and would like to be considered again is more than welcome to do so!

We are looking for quality and enthusiastic players with good characters that will fit in with the game and the group, so this is not first come first served. I will be taking applications for at least a week, and maybe more depending on how it goes. That means currently the deadline to express interest is May 3rd. (To be clear, this is the deadline to fill out the form below, not the deadline to have your character completed).

The current party are working as Irregulars, a group of problem solvers employed by Scarlett Denelle, the Baroness of Ostheim. Your characters do not need to belong to this group when they are introduced. How they fit in exactly, well, that's up to you and me to figure out!

Political treachery, fierce monsters, ancient magic, and a dash of debauchery all wait to challenge our heroes. The players will have the potential to leave a major mark on the world as they increase in power and influence!

The Current Party

The party current consists of three characters (and a few NPCs who will not join the next adventure)

Marwyn Rivers - a Human Fighter who worships Sidru with the soldier background, played by Blythe. Marwyn is an idealistic young soldier who is trying to keep himself above the corruption and politics of the big city. Various groups are interested in him for these exact qualities, and maybe a secret or two in his past. Thus far Marwyn has failed to take a young woman across town (although to be fair this was so that he could right several injustices instead) and collected a pet dog-hippo golem while angering the very Church he worships. He has also broken a sundial, an act that had small, little, giant worm type consequences. 

Rodan Idrus - a Half-Orc Monk who follows Aten with the Urban Bounty Hunter background, played by Rummy Tum Tum. Rodan is a friendly and good-hearted traveling monk from a secretive monastery, who is learning troubling things about who he may or may not really be as he seeks a better way forward. Rodan stopped a mad cultist from poisoning the entire city, but met someone who turned out to be a hallucination in the process. He also managed to anger a seductive and vengeful demoness who is currently trapped in reflections, and who very much wants him to become something evil and twisted like herself. 

Alisandra Mason - a Half-Elf Paladin who worships Tirsa with the Folk Hero background, played by AndyZ. Alisandra is a somewhat naive young paladin who ran afoul of the previous baron, and may be getting all too friendly with the new one as she undergoes her spiritual awakening as a follower of the goddess of art and change. Alisandra defeated the champion of the Half-Orc goddess of power, Balcmeg, in the Seven Points market and restored a long oppressed church's right to speak. In the process she earned the respect of Balcmeg, and the ire of the church she championed. Politics in Bijan can be odd sometimes. She has been experiencing dreams of a sylvan grove, but what they mean we do not know yet!

Do you have what it takes to join these heroes? =)

I find more diverse parties more fun and interesting, so I encourage applicants to look at classes other than Monk, Fighter, or Paladin And also Bard! (added 4/28). It is a very front line, melee heavy group at the moment so there is a lot of room for spellcasters, healers, skill monkeys, and all sorts of others! It would please me if backgrounds did not overlap too much. That being said, submit a character you really want to play. I'd rather have an enthusiastic player with the character they really like than anything else.

Sounds Awesome, What Are You Looking For?

Cool characters! =)

Good player character concepts will emphasize the cinematic over the gritty, working as a team with other players over working alone, and having ideals that they truly believe in and aspire to shape the world into. It's not all super serious though, comic relief and beautiful people in impractical fantasy outfits show up frequently too! That being said, this is NOT a smut game, and any adult scenes will most likely fade to black. Your character may NOT be an apathetic smirker, a guy that never talks, a grimdark fun sponge, rape bait, fetish material, or a tragedy waiting to happen. You are a hero and part of a team!

The current schedule is minimum 2 posts a week or every 3 days. Actions are resolved every few days to give everyone time to react, but back and forth conversation and interaction in between is encouraged. Combat is accelerated with everyone submitting actions at once, sometimes for multiple rounds. So far this has been successful in keeping fights from bogging down the game too much.

You will need access to the Player's Handbook to play, all other materials are optional. Other than the Ranger class, everything in the PHB is allowed. A lot of what is in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide and Volo's Guide to Monsters is playable. The specifics are in the House Rules. UA is considered on a case by case basis. If you don't know what that stuff is, you don't need to worry about it, the PHB is all you really need!

Mostly importantly, you WILL need to read the World Building thread. The three characters that have survived to this point all have strong religious connections and personal ties to NPCs and such. Any successful applicant likely will too!

Joining Process:

1) Read the World Building Thread, and as much of the Current Adventure as you care to!
2) Fill out the form below and PM it to me!
3) Have a lovely conversation with me about your concept and making it work in the setting, and figuring out how to get you involved!
4) Once the concept is good, we'll build the sheet together!
5) If there is still some time while the party finishes their current adventure we'll do some 1x1 stuff or some activities with the other new players while we wait!

[float=left][img height=300 padding=10]http://40.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2dmllOIyX1qzdtsyo1_540.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Player:[/b]
[b]Have you read the rules?:[/b]
[b]Have you read the Worldbuilding thread?:[/b]
[b]Time Zone:[/b]
[b]Posting Rate:[/b] (be realistic about what you can commit to, but remember I'm not asking for Shakespeare)
[b]Expectations:[/b] (Ramble all you like about what you're expecting from this game. Be as detailed as you like. Be sure to cover whether you want adult scenes or not, if so what sort and where your limits are, whether you prefer fighting, exploring, social interactions, etc).
[b]Player Limits:[/b] (Is there anything you don't want to be a part of? Be very clear on this.)
[b]Questions or Feedback:[/b] (Any questions about how the game works, any feedback on the setting, anything you think is missing etc?)

[b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b] (include subrace if applicable)
[b]Class:[/b] (include archetype, you will start at level 3! You are encouraged to select a class other than Paladin, Fighter, or Monk)
[b]Background[/b] (keep in mind your race's suggested backgrounds)

[b]History[/b]
(A short history of your character! A few paragraphs is fine, but be sure to cover - Family, early life, how you became your class, your background, etc. When your backstory ends you must have been in the City of Bijan for at least half a year. You will have seen the former Baron deposed, the new Baroness crowned, and heard of all sorts of madness as various factions vie for control, from here we'll figure out how to get your character involved with the party).

[b]Beliefs and Goals
[/b](Not quite alignment, what does your character believe in? What is their philosophy? Speak in general terms, obviously there are always exceptions. What do they want to make of their life? How would they change the world? No evil maniacs or anything that would keep your character from working with the rest of the party. What gods do they pray to and worship? No matter where they are from they may worship any god.)

Questions and comments are encouraged in this thread or by PM!

Ostheim Threads
Apologies & Absences | Ons & Offs | Canon in Red
I move the stars for no one.

Relikai

Interest!

Any specific rules on UnEarthed Arcana or Multiclassing?

Am thinking of a skill monkey, in the form of a Ranger x Rogue.

TheLaughingOne

Im interisted as well, got a character idea i've come up with in the past would like to try, all written up and all..

But im about to leave for work so cant really sit and read til im on my phone on the bus:(

Will fill out sheet things when im able!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Rummy Tum Tum

Quote from: Relikai on April 26, 2017, 08:54:51 PM
Interest!

Yo Relikai, what up 8-)
I can help you with one thing there: Rangers aren't an allowed class in this.

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on April 26, 2017, 09:03:53 PM
Im interisted as well, got a character idea i've come up with in the past would like to try, all written up and all..

But im about to leave for work so cant really sit and read til im on my phone on the bus:(

Hello and welcome to you too, TLO :-)

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Relikai on April 26, 2017, 08:54:51 PM
Interest!

Hello friend! The House Rules section in the World Building thread does address this, UA is mostly on a case by case basis and my inclination is no on a lot of it but if there's something particular please ask! Multiclassing is completely okay, but as Rummy says there are no Rangers! :)

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on April 26, 2017, 09:03:53 PM

Can't wait to see it. :) Most basic ideas can translate pretty well to Ostheim since it's a fairly traditional setting, however I caution against simply trying to move a character made for another game into this one! Ostheim is a traditional setting but not a shallow one so characters that are made with this setting in mind are the ones that will be successful! :)

Blythe

*waves* Hi, I'm the dude who plays Marwyn. Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to whoever ends up joining the group. :)

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Rummy Tum Tum

Quote from: Blythe on April 26, 2017, 09:42:18 PM
Just wanted to say I'm looking forward to whoever ends up joining the group. :)
+1

Also, I'm the green guy! :P

Relikai

Rough idea - Female Human Bard, no UA, mainly using the PHB alone :) Will leave the MC-ing for later!

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

TheLaughingOne

Hullo there all!!

Im hoping to get my sheet fixed up soon, but am on the bus to work at the moment, bbbbbbboooooooooooooooo!

Im planning on a fighter with acess to a few warlock powers (possibly multiclassing into WL later on as well),

Slightly snarky, but hopefully not annoyingly so! Bit of a background will be working on shaving down and building up parts!

Hope to be playing with you all!
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

TheLaughingOne

Oorrrr i will be working up something completely new!
My Ons and Offs!

Kathyan

Hi, um I just stumbled with this and wondered if I could come back with my old character, I'm currently not too available as I had some troubles where I live and will have to move soon, probably next week, but once I do and everything is settled down I should have plenty of time and not be as distracted as last time (which at least I consider the reason for why I was ditched in first place :P )

Would be great if you take me in again Red, but in case you don't still best wishes to you all and good luck. ;)

RedPhoenix

Hi Kathyan! People who were in the game before are welcome to apply again and writing Desira back in wouldn't be too hard. I will say that everyone will be judged the same, and having been in the game before won't give any bonus or be held against you. I guess the only real bonus is you don't need to send in the sheet or anything since we know who you are. :)

So uh, I guess for you just sit tight until the deadline! :)

AndyZ

I think it's only fair to let people know that Desira was a bard, just in case other folks are like me and enjoy being the only ones playing a particular class.

RedPhoenix

Hey all, I decided waiting 2 weeks seems insanely long especially if people who's application was completed months ago are applying, so the initial deadline is 1 week - or May 3rd. That may be extended, we'll see! Once again this is just the deadline to fill out the form in the OP and PM it to me. :)

Chulanowa

Hey there Red! I'm still interested, despite my ass-dragging last time this came up  ;D

I'm looking at a Wizard or Sorcerer; Maybe cleric? I so rarely get to play spellcasters these days. Sad to be reminded htt there are no gnomes, since gnomes are D&D's perfect race.. .but I'll manage, I'm sure.

RedPhoenix

Haha! Well the House Rules do mention that if you need the stats of one you can reskin it as a halfling or dwarf. Unless you meant culturally in which case bah, humbug! :P

Wheeler97

I'm going to place a comment of tentative interest because I love 5e and your world seems amazing from what I've had time to read thus far. However, I want to make sure I don't get myself overburdened in a way that might slow anything down, so I will work on filling the form and be in touch soon. I fancy clerics, so I'll probably consider that or a Druid based on what's already in the party...

Relikai

Just sent in my App!

Half Elf BardxWarlock mix! Wanting to try out a build introduced by a friend  ;D

RedPhoenix

Quote from: Wheeler97 on April 26, 2017, 11:07:34 PM
I'm going to place a comment of tentative interest because I love 5e and your world seems amazing from what I've had time to read thus far. However, I want to make sure I don't get myself overburdened in a way that might slow anything down, so I will work on filling the form and be in touch soon. I fancy clerics, so I'll probably consider that or a Druid based on what's already in the party...

I appreciate not wanting to overburden yourself. You've got up to a week to think about it! :)

Quote from: Relikai on April 26, 2017, 11:08:16 PM
Just sent in my App!

Half Elf BardxWarlock mix! Wanting to try out a build introduced by a friend  ;D

Will respond by PM! :)

TheLaughingOne

Yeah, so as stands i cant come up with anything. Brains out and just getting tired and burned out. Maybe will come up with something later, but no idea..

Sorry, and best to everybody!
My Ons and Offs!

A Painter

GAAAH!  SO INTERSTED!

Do I play a Druid with a circus of animal performers and/or warriors? (inspired by this video: https://www.facebook.com/nerdswithvag/videos/1334487329973790/)  I don't expect this to be approved, but any excuse to share the video! HEHE!

Or a trickster cleric.  HM.

RedPhoenix

Quote from: A Painter on April 27, 2017, 12:46:46 PM
GAAAH!  SO INTERSTED!

Do I play a Druid with a circus of animal performers and/or warriors? (inspired by this video: https://www.facebook.com/nerdswithvag/videos/1334487329973790/)  I don't expect this to be approved, but any excuse to share the video! HEHE!

Or a trickster cleric.  HM.

Well the video gets a laugh from me! Either way looking forward to what you submit! :D

Quote from: Snake on April 27, 2017, 03:32:56 PM
I'm interested. :3

Great! Can't wait to see what you submit. =)