News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptainNexus616

Well I felt AoU gave development to whom needed it. We already saw Cap deal with modern world security in Winter Soldier.

I am really glad they focused on Hawk, Widow, Hulk some since none of them got their own movie since Avengers. All we knew about Hawkeye was he was good with a bow so I'm glad they decided to do something by *spoilers*

But in truth I do wish some characters like the Vision got more development.

Let's look on the brightside though. If what Sapphire heard was true Superman v. Batman is going to be difficult to see any development anywhere outside Bats and Supes.

Lets review who we have so far.

Superman

Batman

Lex Luthor

Aquaman

Wonder woman

Thats not even counting Chris Pine and Jeremy Irons whom will be Alfred

That is a lot of characters right off the bat (no pun inteneded). Outside of Batman and Superman if you didnt watch Justice League or any of the animated movies most common moviegoers will have no clue why this person is like this.

The trailer and even the title imply this will focus heavily on Bats and Supes alone so its going to be difficult to squeze anything on Aqua or why Wonder Woman's lover is even present.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

SapphireStar

Rumors for the Dr. Strange movie, apparently the director has been reading alot of the Dr. Strange comics and will be adding a major character to the movie with ties to Thanos.

Not to mention there were other rumors flying about for the Superman v. Batman movie. Adding in a female Robin. They'll also probably have Lois Lane, Perry White, and Jimmy Olsen. They were talking about having Doomsday in the movie. And, dropping hints of using Darkcide. Now they are talking about Superman having a "dark" past. At the rate they keep adding characters, the movie will have to be 10 hours long to incorporate character development.

Deamonbane

Hulk had a MCU movie... the first one, in fact, with an after credits scene introducing Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

CaptainNexus616

I'm talking about post Avengers. Widow co starred in Winter Soldier but we really didn't see much of Hulk or Hawkeye since Avengers save for a post credit scene in Iron Man 3

Plus I think Iron Man was the first movie since it was released in 2008
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Matttheman89

Iron Man was indeed the first MCU film. Hulk was the second film and the first to begin the idea of the shared universe that we see today in the MCU. Ironically enough though, Hulk actually takes place AFTER Iron Man 2 and during parts of Thor 1 from what I've heard.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 30, 2015, 11:30:04 AM
Rumors for the Dr. Strange movie, apparently the director has been reading alot of the Dr. Strange comics and will be adding a major character to the movie with ties to Thanos.

Not to mention there were other rumors flying about for the Superman v. Batman movie. Adding in a female Robin. They'll also probably have Lois Lane, Perry White, and Jimmy Olsen. They were talking about having Doomsday in the movie. And, dropping hints of using Darkcide. Now they are talking about Superman having a "dark" past. At the rate they keep adding characters, the movie will have to be 10 hours long to incorporate character development.

Again, it's DarkSEID, and he's the basis for Thanos' creation by Marvel so while he's the most expected threat for the JL to go up against, the fact that Marvel's Infinity War is going to happen first, makes you wonder if DC might be shifting gears so as not to appear too 'old hat' by the time they get around to it. There just aren't many singular threats that are appropriate enough to need the entire league to stop them since so many of them are godlike already (Supes, Martian Manhunter, Green Lantern, compared to the few from Marvel so far). Even Doomsday is pretty much just a tank, he's like an evil Hulk with no real subtlety.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Beorning

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Thanos / Darkseid comparisons. Thanos might've started as a Darkseid ripoff, but he evolved into something more unique. His motivation is his love for Death and, while very intelligent, he doesn't shy away from physical confrontations. Meanwhile, Darkseid, while extremely powerful, isn't really a bruiser type. And if DC plays up his "god of tyranny" angle (so beautifully captured by Grant Morrison both in Rock of Ages and Final Crisis), he will be come off quite different than Thanos...

CuriousEyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on May 30, 2015, 11:30:04 AM
Now they are talking about Superman having a "dark" past. At the rate they keep adding characters, the movie will have to be 10 hours long to incorporate character development.

Isn't BvS's Superman following the continuity of the latest Superman film (the Nolan/Snyder one)?

In which case, yeah, they would have established the dark past with that one.

Mathim

Quote from: Beorning on May 30, 2015, 06:36:27 PM
Personally, I wouldn't worry about the Thanos / Darkseid comparisons. Thanos might've started as a Darkseid ripoff, but he evolved into something more unique. His motivation is his love for Death and, while very intelligent, he doesn't shy away from physical confrontations. Meanwhile, Darkseid, while extremely powerful, isn't really a bruiser type. And if DC plays up his "god of tyranny" angle (so beautifully captured by Grant Morrison both in Rock of Ages and Final Crisis), he will be come off quite different than Thanos...

Perhaps, we'll have to see how they play out Thanos in the near future and how DC shapes up Darkseid if indeed that's their ultimate goal. One thing we can count on DC to do is, if not imitate Marvel, is to go ultra-dark with everything, and no villain I've heard of is better for that (at least in DC) than Darkseid.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

CaptainNexus616

Let's switch gears here for awhile shall we? Let's discuss what our favorite modernized superhero costumes are shall we?

Not gonna lie I am really liking the new Daredevil suit

It definitely has a more combat oriented look to it but the way they built up to its unveiling was one of the best costume reveals I think since Iron Man's MK VII

Let's face it though...I don't think much will ever be able to top MK VII suit up scene for hero costumes lol.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 31, 2015, 08:40:27 PM
Let's switch gears here for awhile shall we? Let's discuss what our favorite modernized superhero costumes are shall we?

Not gonna lie I am really liking the new Daredevil suit

It definitely has a more combat oriented look to it but the way they built up to its unveiling was one of the best costume reveals I think since Iron Man's MK VII

Let's face it though...I don't think much will ever be able to top MK VII suit up scene for hero costumes lol.

Ditto on Daredevil, love the look AND functionality. So wish he'd gotten his hands on that sooner, would have felt he was a lot smarter for it. Would have also liked a bit more exposition on what this mysterious material was and how it did what it did, if it wasn't vibranium mesh or something like Black Panther's costume is probably going to include.

And which one was the Mark VII Iron Man armor? Was it the one he used to suit up during free-fall after Loki tossed him out of the tower? I think they tried too hard to duplicate that in IM3 with the easy-on, easy-off armors and ended up making them look less effective. Of course he did commission them while sleep-deprived and not at his peak, but I would have counted on Jarvis to fix mistakes and such during the presumably automated process.

Speaking of Black Panther, I think this concept art looks pretty badass, I'd like for them to stick very close to this model for the film (hopefully we'll see it, or at least one version of it, in Civil War instead of having to wait all the way til his own movie!)

TheGlyphstone

What is Black Panther's power suite, anyways? Looking online briefly, his Wiki article seems to indicate that he's a Captain-America-grade super-soldier (though he gets his powers from a secret African herb instead) combined with a Iron Man-grade personal wealth and uber-intelligence, presumably enabling him to invent Vibranium-powered super-gadgets. And how might this get converted/downgraded to fit into the MCU's more grounded and less kitchen-sink-mythology setting? (I.e., he probably won't have a mystical bond to the Panther God).

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on May 31, 2015, 09:30:29 PM
Ditto on Daredevil, love the look AND functionality. So wish he'd gotten his hands on that sooner, would have felt he was a lot smarter for it. Would have also liked a bit more exposition on what this mysterious material was and how it did what it did, if it wasn't vibranium mesh or something like Black Panther's costume is probably going to include.

And which one was the Mark VII Iron Man armor? Was it the one he used to suit up during free-fall after Loki tossed him out of the tower? I think they tried too hard to duplicate that in IM3 with the easy-on, easy-off armors and ended up making them look less effective. Of course he did commission them while sleep-deprived and not at his peak, but I would have counted on Jarvis to fix mistakes and such during the presumably automated process.

Well in an interview concerning the costume they said they wanted it to make sense. Everytime Daredevil went out and got the crap kicked out of him it prompted him to improve the design like including gloves for his hands or the inclusion of his sticks. Plus unlike a lot of others in the Marvel Universe he's an average guy on the streets so he can't really get access to the type of armor Captain America is wearing with his budget.

As for the Mark VII I'm talking about the one from the Avengers when Tony suits up while falling. The Mark 42. Was. A. Joke. Seriously there was a scene where that thing got taken apart from a speeding truck hitting it. The Mark III was taking Tank shells with little consequence. That armor not only looked ugly but didn't even work. I remember watching Iron Man 3 and seeing him literally rip out the missles in his suit and throwing them at the bad guys.

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on May 31, 2015, 09:44:23 PM
What is Black Panther's power suite, anyways? Looking online briefly, his Wiki article seems to indicate that he's a Captain-America-grade super-soldier (though he gets his powers from a secret African herb instead) combined with a Iron Man-grade personal wealth and uber-intelligence, presumably enabling him to invent Vibranium-powered super-gadgets. And how might this get converted/downgraded to fit into the MCU's more grounded and less kitchen-sink-mythology setting? (I.e., he probably won't have a mystical bond to the Panther God).

It will probably have some light weight vibranium plating more likely. It will probably be a suit where you would prefer being hit on the armor plated sections instead of the layers in between.

Then again it may be an enchanted raiment from the Panther God for all we know.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on May 31, 2015, 10:00:10 PM
Well in an interview concerning the costume they said they wanted it to make sense. Everytime Daredevil went out and got the crap kicked out of him it prompted him to improve the design like including gloves for his hands or the inclusion of his sticks. Plus unlike a lot of others in the Marvel Universe he's an average guy on the streets so he can really get access to the type of armor Captain America is wearing with his budget.

As for the Mark VII I'm talking about the one from the Avengers when Tony suits up while falling. The Mark 42. Was. A. Joke. Seriously there was a scene where that thing got taken apart from a speeding truck hitting it. The Mark III was taking Tank shells with little consequence. That armor not only looked ugly but didn't even work. I remember watching Iron Man 3 and seeing him literally rip out the missles in his suit and throwing them at the bad guys.

It will probably have some light weight vibranium plating more likely. It will probably be a suit where you would prefer being hit on the armor plated sections instead of the layers in between.

Then again it may be an enchanted raiment from the Panther God for all we know.

What little I know/have read about Black Panther is that he's got some kind of chainmail style mesh lining his costume so that it remains lightweight but still affords significant protection. And since he's from the country that has vibranium in abundance, it shouldn't be far-fetched for him to have that as part of his costume. I mean, I bet Cap would have loved to have had that while he was getting holes shot in him by the Winter Soldier.

I would like to see more dipping into mysticism in Marvel in general, so for Phase 3 I'm glad Doctor Strange is coming out of hiding and I support the idea of Black Panther drawing on animal spirits to empower himself rather than just eating some super soldier plant/herb. Or hell, why not both?

I was just binge-watching Daredevil again since yesterday, and was wondering a couple of things that those of you here who both have also seen it and are familiar with the comics (spoilers, obviously).
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

What was the deal with Madam Gao? Which character from the comics is she based on, if any, and what is this homeland of hers that is 'significantly farther away than China'? If she can speak every language, what's that all about, and what did all the laborers who supposedly blinded themselves out of faith get out of that? I mean, were they happy being used as slave labor or did their faith betray them?

Who might that guy with the scars on his back that Stick was talking to during his last appearance be? I didn't know Stick was working with anybody, seemed too much like a loner, so if he's part of a group that's looking to recruit Matt at some point, that would be interesting to know. Also Nobu seemed like he would have had connections to The Hand, though I don't know if we directly saw them at any point. Was there a Black Sky in the comics or was that just kind of a tease of something that might have been supernatural and just never got off the ground?

mia h

Well there is an answer to at least one of those questions

The person Stick was talking to, was Stone
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

Mathim

Quote from: mia h on June 01, 2015, 02:14:40 AM
Well there is an answer to at least one of those questions

The person Stick was talking to, was Stone

I take it that's not the same one as the big black guy from Elektra.

CuriousEyes

Response to Mathim's questions re: Daredevil is in spoilers below.

NOTE: This MAY contain spoilers for some of the future Netflix series content - I don't really know for sure. After I looked into it, it seems like something that would tie in

But You Have Been Warned
I had kind of just assumed that Madame Gao was an Inhuman and was meant to tie in slightly to the expansion of that mythos taking place through Agents of SHIELD. But some further research indicated something else.

This article spells it out a bit more - the packets of heroin that Gao was producing are stamped with a red snake, which is the symbol of an archnemesis of Iron Fist (getting a Netflix series as well). Specifically it's someone named "Steel Serpent", who is a native of a place called K'un-L'un, which is some kind of magical/technologically hidden city inhabited by dimension-hopping humanoid aliens.

The short version is that the working theory is that Gao is someone called Crane Mother

Mathim

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 01, 2015, 09:49:40 AM
Response to Mathim's questions re: Daredevil is in spoilers below.

NOTE: This MAY contain spoilers for some of the future Netflix series content - I don't really know for sure. After I looked into it, it seems like something that would tie in

But You Have Been Warned
I had kind of just assumed that Madame Gao was an Inhuman and was meant to tie in slightly to the expansion of that mythos taking place through Agents of SHIELD. But some further research indicated something else.

This article spells it out a bit more - the packets of heroin that Gao was producing are stamped with a red snake, which is the symbol of an archnemesis of Iron Fist (getting a Netflix series as well). Specifically it's someone named "Steel Serpent", who is a native of a place called K'un-L'un, which is some kind of magical/technologically hidden city inhabited by dimension-hopping humanoid aliens.

The short version is that the working theory is that Gao is someone called Crane Mother

I didn't think Inhumans because honestly, they're still earthbound and she made it sound extraterrestrial or extradimensional as her homeland. And I already knew Iron Fist was coming along with his own show after the next two, so there already being a connection to K'un L'un where he trained is not surprising, well, maybe a little if they're doing it this early, but it's a pleasant glimpse of something to come. I still think Madam Gao is a little too 'powerful' than what I understand people from K'un L'un usually are capable of. So maybe it's somewhere else altogether. Still, I don't know what the hell her deal was. Seemed like needless cruelty that led nowhere if heroin and profit weren't important to her.

Also, one of the posters in Daredevil's gym has Carl 'Crusher' Creel, aka the Absorbing Man, as an opponent of Battlin' Jack Murdock. Is this the same Creel as the one from Agents of SHIELD? If so there's a nice big tie-in to something happening concurrently.

CaptainNexus616

Quote from: Mathim on June 01, 2015, 03:37:12 PM
I didn't think Inhumans because honestly, they're still earthbound and she made it sound extraterrestrial or extradimensional as her homeland. And I already knew Iron Fist was coming along with his own show after the next two, so there already being a connection to K'un L'un where he trained is not surprising, well, maybe a little if they're doing it this early, but it's a pleasant glimpse of something to come. I still think Madam Gao is a little too 'powerful' than what I understand people from K'un L'un usually are capable of. So maybe it's somewhere else altogether. Still, I don't know what the hell her deal was. Seemed like needless cruelty that led nowhere if heroin and profit weren't important to her.

Also, one of the posters in Daredevil's gym has Carl 'Crusher' Creel, aka the Absorbing Man, as an opponent of Battlin' Jack Murdock. Is this the same Creel as the one from Agents of SHIELD? If so there's a nice big tie-in to something happening concurrently.

@ Mathim: It is concerning the second part of your post.

So word is they are making another animated Spawn series sometime in the future with Keith David returning to voice him. I honestly can't wait, Spawn is one of the coolest OP Anit Heroes in my opinion his suit just looks badass.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 01, 2015, 07:21:34 PM
@ Mathim: It is concerning the second part of your post.

So word is they are making another animated Spawn series sometime in the future with Keith David returning to voice him. I honestly can't wait, Spawn is one of the coolest OP Anit Heroes in my opinion his suit just looks badass.

Wicked. I love when they cross-pollinate. Can't wait to see how the other shows blend together and expand the universe even further. Really wanting an Avengers/Defenders alliance at some point.

And I liked the original Spawn well enough, not sure why more people didn't get into it. I mean, for its day, that shit was impressive, and the story was pretty decent from what I remember. But I love me some Keith David, nobody can put his knee in a guy's nads like he did in They Live. His voice is awesome too, so even if he's not the one on the screen, it'll still be cool.

CaptainNexus616

The Avengers/ Defender Crossover could happen potentially with Infinity War. Or they may do a TV movie where they have one or two of the main roster Avengers works with them to stop a threat.

I would love if they did an end scene for the next season of Daredevil like they did with the first Iron Man

Murdock returns home after beating the big bad of the season and sitting there waiting for him is Phil Coulson offering him to be part of something bigger.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 02, 2015, 09:48:07 AM
The Avengers/ Defender Crossover could happen potentially with Infinity War. Or they may do a TV movie where they have one or two of the main roster Avengers works with them to stop a threat.

I would love if they did an end scene for the next season of Daredevil like they did with the first Iron Man

Murdock returns home after beating the big bad of the season and sitting there waiting for him is Phil Coulson offering him to be part of something bigger.

I want them to bring Coulson back into the light before that, though. Like maybe during Civil War, he could be one of the major tools of reconciliation between the two sides since everyone liked him well enough to get pumped up when they found out he died. Then when all the governments figure out what the fuck they want to do to regulate the heroes, Coulson gets his authority to start conscripting these street-level heroes as like a Plan B to the Avengers. That's how I'd want it to work out.

And that's definitely possible during Infinity War (if the timing works out; that's only 3 or 4 years away and they've got to do a show for Jessica Jones, Luke Cage AND Iron Fist before the Defenders becomes a real thing, not to mention renewing one or more of them for numerous seasons) because Feige has stated that, apart from Hulk, none of the same heroes are going to actually appear in BOTH Infinity War movies. Curious, eh? I mean, there's not really any way to interpret that ambiguously, is there?

SapphireStar

They just bumped Lucas Mitchell who played an Inhuman on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. up to series regular. It looks like they might introduce the Avengers Academy as it was hinted that Coulson was constructing a larger base where those with powers could be trained.

CuriousEyes

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 03, 2015, 10:01:22 AM
They just bumped Lucas Mitchell who played an Inhuman on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. up to series regular. It looks like they might introduce the Avengers Academy as it was hinted that Coulson was constructing a larger base where those with powers could be trained.

I was under the impression that the SHIELD spinoff (which was rumored to be Avengers Academy) was scrapped?

CaptainNexus616

I thought that was going to be the purpose of the new Avengers facility in Age of Ultron