Far Far Away - A Fairy Tale Boarding School [Bon-Exotic]

Started by undisclosedtoyou, August 10, 2010, 04:22:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

undisclosedtoyou

Far Far Away

Far from the rest of the world, and located smack dab in the middle of the far off, and isolated continent of Far Far Away, lays a school. But this isn't just any school, it's home to only the elite, royalty from every kingdom across the land.  Unlike most boarding schools for the creme of society, this one wasn't established in order to teach spoiled children their lessons on history or arithmetic, but instead, it's main function is a sort of finishing school.  The Royal families of Far Far Away send their children to this school when they've reached the age of majority, 19, and they stay until they've either completed all four years, or when they take over the crown themselves.

Such a school is highly regarded, and guarded from commoners and thieves alike.  The gates are tightly shut to everyone but the official emissaries of each students kingdom.  For miles inside the gates, there is nothing but rolling grass, punctuated by stables, and training grounds.  Far Away Castle is huge, towering up towards the sky, long turrets, like fingers reaching into the clouds.  Surrounding the gates of the school, are acres of thick and dangerous forest, the only safe path to travel being the main, and only road, which is wide enough for cars going both ways.  At night the long road is illuminated by lantern like post's that lead the way to and from the school.  Each room is richly furnished, and the living quarters are co-ed, although opposite genders may not share a room.

This is really an interest check, if I get enough people wanting to join and someone willing to at least co-GM with me, than I can really see this getting off the ground. 

I really wanted to play in a game with a boarding school setting, but I didn't want it to be like a high school filled with nothing but teenagers.  Far Away Boarding school is formed more like a college, but the students there will be learning the finishing touches on slaying evil, and becoming a legendary ruler.

The Fairy tale aspect was just a curve ball I wanted to throw in to make it interesting.  The students would be children of the fairy tale greats; like Cinderella and Snow White.  Faculty is accepted also.

List of Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen

The Emperor's New Clothes
The Little Mermaid : Tentatively played by  Online LimitlessNikkie 
The Princess and the Pea

Grimms Fairy Tales

Beauty and the Beast : Tentatively taken by London
Cinderella : Tentatively played by GrapeTootsiePop
Sleeping Beauty
Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
The Frog Prince : Instructor position tentatively taken by RS Mistress

Other Sources

Black Cauldron : Tentatively played by Marie Reynolds
The Black Knight : Tentatively played by BlueEyedBard

Your characters would be your own, even down to the name of the kingdom they come from.  Each Kingdom borders a part of the Schools land, but the school itself lays on none of them, so it's neutral territory.  I like the idea of siblings as well as only children, but again it's up to you what you want.

Setting: Modern with a fairy tale twist
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

London

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: London on August 11, 2010, 07:00:42 PM
I like it... Count me in.  :-)

Great!  I didn't think anyone was going to go for this game, since there are already a few fairy tale games up(a fact I didn't notice until after I put up this idea lol)
"Not all who wander are aimless.  Especially not those who seek truth beyond tradition, beyond definition, beyond the image."
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Phobetor

Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on August 11, 2010, 10:55:47 PM
Let me know if this takes off, I'd love to join. =)

I will definitely let you know if it takes off.  And btw, your name makes me smile lol.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

London

I hate to think that this idea might not take off because of other fairy tale games. I'm sure more people will want to play.

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: London on August 16, 2010, 01:30:14 PM
I hate to think that this idea might not take off because of other fairy tale games. I'm sure more people will want to play.

Well I'm thinking if it doesn't get up off the ground it's because the concept is a bit odd for some people.  I'm sure it's not really because we have a lot of fairy tale games up :D
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

RS Mistress

I wouldn't mind joining to if that's ok. Most of the other fairy tale games don't sound as interesting. I can already think of several characters I would want to play. Now just to decide on student or staff....

LimitlessNikkie

undisclosedtoyou

Yay for interest!  I should add that staff can technically be from any fairy tale, not just the ones listed.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

BlueEyedBard

I would like to join as a member of the staff, if that's all right.
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
Ad astra - but per hominum
On/Off

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: BlueEyedBard on August 17, 2010, 11:26:53 AM
I would like to join as a member of the staff, if that's all right.

That would be awesome!
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

BlueEyedBard

Sweet! I was hoping to play the man formerly known as the Black Knight, though now he teaches a class on the slaying of evil creatures.
"The ultimate in paranoia is not when everyone is against you but when everything is against you." P.K. Dick
On/Off

undisclosedtoyou

If we get one or two more players interested, than I'll start working on the character template and other things.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

undisclosedtoyou

Okay, I think we have enough people interested now.  What characters are you all interested in playing?
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

London

I'm thinking of playing Beauty and the Beast's son.

RS Mistress

I was thinking of playing a staff member. Like the frog princes sister. While she was waiting for her brother to find a princess to kiss him she wrote a self help book on how not to get cursed for life.  She could teach something like etiquette.

Marie Reynolds

Hmm I think ill play the daugther or Taran and Eilonwy from the Black Cauldron.

BlueEyedBard

Instructor, formerly known as the Black Knight. Teaching "Slaying of Evil Creatures"
On/Off

undisclosedtoyou

Okay, I put some of you up on the list of stories, so people can know what's taken and what's not.

Quote from: London on August 18, 2010, 08:48:44 PM
I'm thinking of playing Beauty and the Beast's son.

Your on the list, I can't remember if you wanted a Student or instructor position.

Quote from: RS Mistress on August 18, 2010, 09:35:28 PM
I was thinking of playing a staff member. Like the frog princes sister. While she was waiting for her brother to find a princess to kiss him she wrote a self help book on how not to get cursed for life.  She could teach something like etiquette.

Your idea is awesome, and I have you up.  If you want slots open for your characters brothers children at the school, let us know.

Quote from: Marie Reynolds on August 18, 2010, 09:44:18 PM
Hmm I think ill play the daugther or Taran and Eilonwy from the Black Cauldron.

Lol tricky tricky, I found this one, I knoww I've seen it, but I can't remember the story very well.  If you'd like to expand on the story here that would be great.

Quote from: BlueEyedBard on August 18, 2010, 10:08:18 PM
Instructor, formerly known as the Black Knight. Teaching "Slaying of Evil Creatures"

Ooooh I looked for which fairy tale your character is in, but can't find it, let me know where he's from when you can.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

Crovonovin

Undisclosed, "The Black Knight" isn't necessarily from any particular tale.  He's become a sort of archetype, the "faceless antagonist" that stands opposite the Knight in Shining Armor.

However, most people simply remember the one from Monty Python's The Holy Grail, who gets all his limbs cut off.

~And, before I got sidetracked, I think I might be interested in joining this game as well!

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: Shihong on August 18, 2010, 11:22:18 PM
Undisclosed, "The Black Knight" isn't necessarily from any particular tale.  He's become a sort of archetype, the "faceless antagonist" that stands opposite the Knight in Shining Armor.

However, most people simply remember the one from Monty Python's The Holy Grail, who gets all his limbs cut off.

~And, before I got sidetracked, I think I might be interested in joining this game as well!

Yeah I was thinking of Monty Python lol.  It's all good, I was just curious, but the idea of him teaching slaying of evil creatures is an awesome idea lol.

Oooh yay!  Student or Instructor?
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's

LimitlessNikkie

I wanted to play the little mermaids child but I read the story and she never has a kid (and by the way that story sucks lol I like disney) so can I do a daughter (and student) from the union depicted in the disney movie?

undisclosedtoyou

Quote from: LimitlessNikkie on August 19, 2010, 01:04:48 AM
I wanted to play the little mermaids child but I read the story and she never has a kid (and by the way that story sucks lol I like disney) so can I do a daughter (and student) from the union depicted in the disney movie?

Lol you are more than welcome to do that.
O/O's ~ A/A's ~ Avi's