An Empire Asunder ~ In Need of An Emperor

Started by MarissaSeraphOfInsanity, July 28, 2013, 08:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Violetstiele

Strifesblaze7

Is there a point where nobody cares

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

Dane and Violet are both approved. Welcome aboard. As a note to any prospective members, we currently need more female characters and the royal families of all factions are still completely open to anyone who wants them.

Quote from: Strifesblaze7 on August 01, 2013, 01:36:08 AM
I call her cute and she argues. O_O
He called me erudite :P
"She is all the great heroines of the world in one. She is more than an individual. I love her, and I must make her love me. I want to make Romeo jealous. I want the dead lovers of the world to hear our laughter, and grow sad. I want a breath of our passion to stir dust into consciousness, to wake their ashes in pain."

Can You Cast Me Far From Grace? ~ Ons and Offs (WIP)

Sic Transit Seraphim ~ Apologies, Absences and Admiral Ackbar

Strifesblaze7

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

Rolls her eyes playfully before standing up on her tippy toes to plant a kiss on Strife's cheek. Thank you, Strife. ;D
"She is all the great heroines of the world in one. She is more than an individual. I love her, and I must make her love me. I want to make Romeo jealous. I want the dead lovers of the world to hear our laughter, and grow sad. I want a breath of our passion to stir dust into consciousness, to wake their ashes in pain."

Strifesblaze7

Oh, thank you dear. XD You're welcome. -kisses her cheek softly as well-

Countdown0

Name: Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III

Title: Imperial Captain, Future Earl of Rumacet

Faction: The Empire

Sexual Orientation: Straight

Goal: First, to preserve and strengthen the good name of his family within the Empire. Second, to protect and defend the Imperial Dignitaries.

Personality: Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn, the Third of his name, is a hard man. His family has served in the Imperial Military for over a dozen generations, and he grew up surrounded by that tradition, and the expectations that came with it.

He carries himself with pride in his family, and an air of dignity, seemingly always calm, and never caught off guard. It is difficult to know if this is because he simply doesn't trust anyone or anything, or if he simply knows what is going to happen ahead of time.

Disciplined and controlled, he is very confident in himself and his abilities, though at the same time, he is always looking to exceed expectations and find new ways to succeed.

His presence at a Peace Conference may be considered questionable, considering that he is a military man, and views most politicians and nobles to be naive and the exiles from Sahal to be about akin to wild animals hat are ridden with diseases that cause mental instability. That said, he is far to proud of his family heritage to be the responsible party if the Peace Conference turns violent.

He scoffs at the notion of fair play or honor, having spent a great deal of his military service to this point in battles that were nothing short of horrific and bloody massacres. Aeren has been challenged to a duel only twice in his life. Both times, he simply shot the offending party on the spot, not bothering to offer an answer. When asked about it though, he did offer an explanation: "If a man challenges me to a duel, he clearly wants to kill me. I mean to return the sentiment to any who offer it." Some have whispered the idea that he may be a coward, though no one has ever said so to his face... at least, no one who spoke of it again.

He doesn't particularly care for the notion of a peace conference, believing that the people from Sahal will not honor any agreements in the long term. While in his personal life, Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III is a levelheaded and fair man, in battle, he is efficient, ruthless, and cold.

"I don't need to fight with honor. I have skill. Don't expect me to even the odds for you if you can't keep up." - Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III, spoken to the Sahali Warlord "Ironheart", during parley before battle. The Warlord suggested that the use of pistols and cannons was not a honorable way to fight. He died that day when Aeren shot him through the left eye.

Appearance: About six feet tall, with dark blue eyes and fair-but-tanned skin. He is long limbed and in good shape, with lots of lean muscle. His hair is neat, dark brown in color, and always kept in a way that prevents it from falling in his face.

Biography: Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthron the Third is, as every Redthorn male for almost twenty generations past, a loyal soldier in the Imperial Military. The Redthorn family is technically nobility, though they were not given titles and land by marrying the rich and powerful. It began with Sidaig Redthorn, the first of his family to serve in the Imperial military. Since then, all Redthorn men have served, each one climbing the ranks and earning respect, fame, and in the cases of the Empire's enemies, fear. After a handful of generations, it could not be denied that the Redthorn contribution to the Empire was above and beyond what could be considered 'common'. They were given noble titles.

That said, Redthorn men prefer to be referred to by their military title than noble titles. Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III is no expection, insisting that he be called Captain, even if he will, upon his father's passing, be an 'Earl'. He has always preferred action to a stationary existence, and he found it in at sea.

Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III is Captain of the Imperial Vessel “Paramount”, one of the first ships in the Empire's Grand Navy to be fitted with cannons. As Captain, he has found that he loves the sound of the ships guns when they fire, and the smell of the black powder when a flame is struck to it. Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III even trained with steadfast and unyielding dedication to master the use of the 'pistol', the most modern weapon that a single man can carry into battle. For most, it is a complex contraption, but in his hands, it is more lethal than any sword or bow, and he has developed a fearsome reputation among the enemies of the Empire as 'the man who shoots fire from his hands'. He is very skilled as a marksman, and can shoot accurately with either hand.

He grew up in Rumacet, the land that, about a dozen generations ago, was gifted, along with the title of 'Earl', to the Redthorn family as a reward for their beyond impressive service to the empire. One day he will be Earl of Rumacet, though he prefers not to think about it.

Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III is widely considered a military prodigy by other members of the Imperial Military. Skill in both battle and strategy are part of the Redthorn bloodline, but his is leaps and bounds beyond even his father, who is still, in times of war, a General in the Imperial Military. While he is a naval Captain now, Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III cut his teeth on the battlefield. He is neither the largest or strongest man to swing a sword, but he has often been seen to simply out fight and out think his enemies.

"War is in my blood. Sailing is just the most fun way to wage it."

His Ship: Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III is captain of the Imperial Vessel 'Paramount'. Paramount is not designed for trading, nor cargo, but for battle, and oceanic supremacy. Cannons line the port and starboard sides, with the front and back equipped with a lighter load of guns to aid in chasing or retreating. The powder loads and kept deep within the core of the ship to protect them from being struck. Some ships are made for exploration, but Paramount was specially designed and built to take advantage of the new technology of cannons to create a ship that could protect the Empire's waters from any enemy, and that could, by itself, force a city to surrender if subjected to bombardment. It has worked very well. Aeren is the only man every to command the Paramount, so the name of the ship is synonymous with his presence. Pirates, and enemies of the Empire alike, beware. You'll find no swifter way to the bottom of the sea than by facing Captain Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III in naval conflict.

"Paramount isn't built for ceremony. She's built to seek and destroy." - Aeren before he took the ship out of dock before a ceremonial send off, chasing pirates that had bombarded the port only moments before, injuring several members of the Imperial Court in attendance. The pirate vessel was sunk with no survivors.

Clothes and Equipment: A very dark red overcoat with decorations befitting the rank of a naval captain, and a stark white shirt underneath. Black trousers and a supple leather belt. Thick leather boots that rise to just below the knee, buckles made of steel.

Aeren Horacius Arendarr Redthorn III carries fours pistols on his person. While each one can only be fired once before needing to be reloaded, they have been specially crafted so that they are perfectly fitted to his hands, with the sights modeled to his liking. Two are worn on each hip. He also carries plenty of extra bullets and powder.

A sabre that he took from a pirate captain, sheathed on his left hip. A heavier, curved bladed sword is a strange sight, but Aeren Horacius Arendall Redthorn III was stubborn in his efforts to master the blade, and he did so. When his pistols are not an option, he is more than capable of using the blade.

He also carries a stiletto dagger that hangs from his right hip. It is intended as his last choice of weapon, but serves quite well if someone needs to be disposed of discretely.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

Chrono and Countdown, you're both approved. And Chrono, I expect our characters will find they share a lot of common ground.

Just a general reminder to any prospective players that we need additional female characters, and all slots in the royal family of each faction are currently open to whoever wants them.

Chronoclasm

Great! It should be fun. I'll look forward to the game's start.

We just need to woo some more ladies, I suppose. Come on, girls, lots of eligible bachelors in this game? Some of them like killing things!
"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

CurvyKitten

I'm some what interested, just not sure about which idea I want to expand upon in my head lol. I have a noble idea as well as an independents idea.

Countdown0

Haha, I like your style Chrono, putting my character's name first on the list. He definitely wont shoot your guy :D

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

Chronoclasm

"Being with you and not being with you is the only way I have to measure time." ― Jorge Luis Borges

CurvyKitten

Well I have an idea for a fallen noble, as I read during the war long lines of Royalty were wiped out. The one I had in mind is the only survivor of her family. Her lands are held by the Imperial as theirs but she could by law still hold claim...granted that would mean she would have the ability to hold onto it. Perhaps the Imperial ( or whom ever) killed off her family due to them not playing along that they were supposed to or something like that. But she is actually thought as dead and is actually fled and spent the rest of her life growing up in The Kingdom of Sahal.

The second is a woman I had in mind is a Royal woman that is a wild child at heart. She knows her role but hates the idea of marrying someone she was forced to. She plays the proper woman but when she thinks no one is looking she is a bit more ambitious and untamed. Speaks her mind and sometimes not at the best of times either :P Who knows where she will end up heading or doing...duty or passion what will come first?

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

The names are in alphabetical order Countdown XD

Hey Kitten. Exiled nobles are quite common, particularly on the border fiefdoms. Generally, if a House manages to survive the conquest of their lands, they typically flee in exile to the capital of their respective nation and serve in the court there until such a time as they manage to muster up the support to reclaim their holdings. As such, especially in heavily contested territories, it's not uncommon for both an Imperial-loyal and Grand Duchy-loyal noble to stake claim to those lands, with one of them in exile. Of course, fleeing in exile into Sahal is also an option.

As for your second idea, it sounds like you have a Princess of sorts in mind. Luckily, the royal family is completely open so you can be whatever faction you want there as well.

Countdown0

Quote from: Chronoclasm on August 03, 2013, 07:43:43 PM
^ All a part of my plan. All a part of my plan . . .  :P

I look forward to seeing it unfold :P

Meantime, I have so additions to make to my CS regarding the ship and such.

Quote from: MarissaSeraphOfInsanity on August 03, 2013, 08:39:35 PM
The names are in alphabetical order Countdown XD

Way to kill my superiority complex >.<

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

CurvyKitten

Quote from: MarissaSeraphOfInsanity on August 03, 2013, 08:39:35 PM
Hey Kitten. Exiled nobles are quite common, particularly on the border fiefdoms. Generally, if a House manages to survive the conquest of their lands, they typically flee in exile to the capital of their respective nation and serve in the court there until such a time as they manage to muster up the support to reclaim their holdings. As such, especially in heavily contested territories, it's not uncommon for both an Imperial-loyal and Grand Duchy-loyal noble to stake claim to those lands, with one of them in exile. Of course, fleeing in exile into Sahal is also an option.

Edit: I'd be more then willing to say one of the created families were the ones that went against her family if anyone was interested.
Well my idea was maybe it was treason in the royal families or something. And as she was the only one left as a child she had no way of fighting or staking her claim. And was taken to Sahal so that she would not be hunted. Maybe her family actually held a great deal of land or held something important to the kingdoms? I was thinking her goal could be to take back her families land(and fortunes) and kill the person or family behind her families death. Hopefully I'm making sense lol
As for your second idea, it sounds like you have a Princess of sorts in mind. Luckily, the royal family is completely open so you can be whatever faction you want there as well.

Yup that would be what I had in mind. :) Not sure which faction I would want her on honestly hehe

Ember Star

"One thing you who had secure or happy childhoods should understand about those of us who did not, we who control our feelings, who avoid conflicts at all costs or seem to seek them, who are hypersensitive, self-critical, compulsive, workaholic, and above all survivors, we're not that way from perversity. And we cannot just relax and let it go. We've learned to cope in ways you never had to." ~Author, Piers Anthony

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

We're currently in need of princesses, so feel free to make a princess character. The entire royal family of each faction is open, so you could also be an Empress, Grand Duchess or High Queen if any of those tickle your fancy as well.  :-)

RedEve

Is there a difference in technological level between the three factions? I would imagine that the bandits aren't as refined in both weaponry and tactics as the two other factions.

And to add to that, are you opposed to some fantasy elements?
"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

The Empire and the Grand Duchy are roughly on even terms when it comes to technological advancement, as they possess their own manufacturing bases. They sort of straddle the line between the High Medieval and Early Italian Renaissance eras. As you rightly point out, the Kingdom of Sahal is much more behind them in terms of technological advancement. They manufacture little beyond the most basic products and the majority of what they possess comes from what they're able to capture or plunder from others.

RedEve

Marisa, in terms of my question about Fantasy, it really boils down to this: are we to see this universe as a close fascilime of Earth, just an alternate reality?

Or can it be something like the GoT universe, which has a few other races of humans as well as some mythical animals (Dragons, direwolfs, ...).

To give an example, where the Empire and the Grand Duchy use horses, could the Kingdom of Sahal ride some other animal?

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

Whoops, sorry! I didn't see your edit. This universe is essentially a facsimile of Earth and humans are the only race. That said, I hadn't paid much thought to the inclusion of mythological animals since they don't really have much bearing the storyline. I suppose if there was some kind of fantasy element in particular that you wanted to include I'd have to hear it first before I made a decision.

RedEve

It's not really necessary for me.

I guess it's a bit dependent on how much (or how little) you want to make the Sahalites look savage and barbarian when compared to the two other peoples.

MarissaSeraphOfInsanity

RedEve

Well, where you have the Empire and the Grand Duchy at roughly late medieval stage culturally and militarily, I would suggest that the Kingdom of Sahal is more like the Barbarians in the Conan universe?

Basically far less refined in both attire and weaponry.