People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Kill Rate

Started by LtRipley, July 12, 2013, 11:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LtRipley

So I'm an animal lover, as are most of my friends. As a result it's not uncommon for me to see animal rights stuff in my feed on facebook. A good few of my friends are also involved in animal adoption, two of which directly work for local shelters, not just volunteer. I adopted my dog through a network of people who use facebook to find homes for dogs in need. I love animals, I don't think they should ever be harmed, but I still eat meat.

And I hate PETA. I hate them so much. They're just a bunch of media hounds looking for attention in my honest opinion. For example: They'll boycott and protest the big name rodeos that treat their horses and bulls like living gods (not kidding, go look into it), but don't even look at the small time rodeos that are way more prone to cruelty. I've heard so many horror stories about them from people who had gotten involved. They take a good message and twist into this horrible freak show. But people think they're so wonderful, that they're doing so much good.

Most people also don't realize that PETA isn't just against using animals for agriculture or industry purposes (ie meat and fur and leather) they're against owning animals at all. That includes cats and dogs. They think that when you own a pet dog, you're keeping that dog as a prisoner, and that that dog would be better off dead than enslaved and subjected to such cruelty (yeah, my chubby little corgi mix sleeping on her own giant bed right this moment after eating her breakfast sure is mistreated).

I know this, so I'm not surprised at all by the recent stir in the media about how incredibly high their kill rate it at their Norfolk, VA, facility is. I've known about this for years and years. They kill nearly every animal they get, and not just at the Norfolk location, every location that takes in pets. They kill 90% of them. They don't even try to find them homes, just take them into the back, gas them, and dump them. Their Las Vegas (I believe... I could be wrong, I'll try to find the article) location got fined for improper disposal of animal carcasses because they were just tossing them into the dumpster behind the building. I had a friend who was involved with PETA briefly who went with a bunch of volunteers out to a puppy mill to take all the dogs that spent their entire lives in cramped cages, with the understanding that the dogs would be cared for and then rehomed. She took almost all of her savings and donated it to PETA to help cover the costs, but a month later, almost all of the dogs had been put down, they only adopted out three or four. And when she asked what was done with her donation money, they told her it was none of her business.

This is a statement from the AKC (though I find their stance on this pretty hypocritical but I'll go into that another time) about PETA's policy on euthanizing pets instead of rehoming them. http://links.mkt2242.com/servlet/MailView?ms=NTM0MTIxNwS2&r=MzQyNTE1Njg5NzIS1&j=MTU1NjcyNDcyS0&mt=1&rt=0

and an article a friend posted today on the issue http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/07/us/peta-finds-itself-on-receiving-end-of-others-anger.html?pagewanted=all&_r=3&

Trieste

I don't actually know anyone who thinks PETA is doing good. Maybe it's because my circles are animal rescues, I don't know, but PETA is to animal rights activism what that church is to Christianity - they assume the mantle of it but they are extremists who give the whole thing a bad name.

Any good that they manage to do in the course of their extremism is secondary to their destructive goal (which seems to be the destruction of all people so the animals can rise up and rule the world, free from the bondage of human masters). They see themselves as an underground railroad for pets, of sorts, and the larger organization disgusts me.

Volunteering, donating, and working with smaller local animal shelters is really the best way to help homeless pets in general.

LtRipley

They're more like the Westboro Baptist Church really... seem intent on spreading their message through hate. I always get a little disgusted when I see a celebrity endorsing them. They should be endorsing rescues and shelters if they really care, not some big extremist organization. But they're just doing it for the PR I guess.

Trieste

Who did you think I meant when I said 'that church'? >.>

Blythe

I just don't like PETA for one reason:

All the money they spend on hate-mongering and villifying organizations over what they perceive as unethical treatment of animals (via advertising in magazine/internet/etc.) could actually be used to...I don't know...directly help animals by focusing on donating to and providing for shelters, supporting organizations like PAWS, supporting outdoor parks and other places where animals can play, etc.

As for me, I've always wanted to see the equivalent of a "food bank" for animals where an owner can stop by and get food for their pets if they're having trouble feeding them.

Just my two cents.

Oniya

Quote from: Blythe on July 12, 2013, 04:56:00 PM
As for me, I've always wanted to see the equivalent of a "food bank" for animals where an owner can stop by and get food for their pets if they're having trouble feeding them.

I think we actually have something like that here.  The little ice cream shop that we go to periodically is some sort of donation-collection place for pet food and such.

You know why PETA goes after little old ladies in fur coats?
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
It's safer than going after the big guys in the leather jackets.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kythia

Watching 28 Days Later at the moment.  The major problem with animal rights people, which everyone seems to be dancing around, is that they caused the zombie apocalypse.

Dicks.

Trieste

That's a zombie movie I can actually watch! ;D

Actually, I saw Warm Bodies last night and I didn't have the triephobia meltdown. It was actually a really cute movie.

What was the topic again?

Sel Nar

PETA and their being giant assholes that act (and honestly believe) that anyone who owns a pet, or uses any sort of animal-based product deserves prison, combined with their 90+% kill rate for animals they're supposed to re-home?

I still think that the most... clear example of their insanity is that their CEO, who is diabetic, was asked once about her stance on her use of insulin derived from animals (Ie; what she needs to live). Her response was that if it's her, it's okay, but anyone else can go die in a fire. (She's also been on record as stating that, if a cure for HIV/AIDS was found, and it involved even the hint of animal testing, that she'd protest and try to destroy the cure.)

Oniya

Too late.  Most of the testing they've already done started with the SIV virus that HIV evolved from.

(I'd tell you how I know this, but then I'd have to - well, not shoot you, but probably more like wipe your hard drive or something.  IT people don't get a very good threat list.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on July 12, 2013, 07:05:29 PM
Too late.  Most of the testing they've already done started with the SIV virus that HIV evolved from.

(I'd tell you how I know this, but then I'd have to - well, not shoot you, but probably more like wipe your hard drive or something.  IT people don't get a very good threat list.)

All you have to do is read Google Scholar for a bit to know that. >.>

<.<

Everyone does that, right?

LtRipley

Quote from: Blythe on July 12, 2013, 04:56:00 PM
I just don't like PETA for one reason:

All the money they spend on hate-mongering and villifying organizations over what they perceive as unethical treatment of animals (via advertising in magazine/internet/etc.) could actually be used to...I don't know...directly help animals by focusing on donating to and providing for shelters, supporting organizations like PAWS, supporting outdoor parks and other places where animals can play, etc.

Just my two cents.

Like I said, they're just glory hounds, they don't actually want to do any work. They just want to get attention and make money.

NiceTexasGuy

Maybe I'm a little biased -- okay, maybe I'm a lot biased, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. 

It looks to me like PETA is all about clueless out-of-touch-with-the-real-world celebrities who need to throw their weight around by espousing various "causes" they feel are suitably politically correct, and the adoring fans who hang on every word they say, every move they make, and follow all the other lemmings as they dive into the Coolaid.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Retribution

Let me weigh on from another point of view....as most of you know I am an avid outdoorsman. My family lives on wild game and fish and we have farm animals. Four horses, a rabbit, more barn cats than I can count that are all well fed and mice fear my feed bin! Three outside dogs all of which hunt a lab, an 11 year old beagle, and a treeing fiest (squirrel dog though she is more my kid's run around the yard dog). I am a board member of a Delta Waterfowl chapter, member of Ducks Unlimited (though I prefer Delta, DU has forgotten the hunters), member of National Wild Turkey Federation (you would not have turkey in the US if it was not for NWTF). Just so you get my background and as I have said before I hate animal rights.

I love PETA, they show the whole movement for what it is a bunch of wackos. The Hollywood types who back them honest to god my impression is they feel guilty for being rich and famous and are trying to atone. The thing I find disturbing is the ungodly amount of money donated to PETA as it shows that there are some deluded people out there and a lot of them. But PETA does people like me who are into -responsible- land usage and animal ownership a large favor in giving the movement a black eye. In short if it were not for organizations largely funded by hunters there would be much less wildlife. DU saved ducks before conservation was cool way back in the 30s. NTWF transplanted turkeys nation wide when they were extinct except for a small pocket in the Ozarks. You get the idea I think. Outdoors men and women put their money and time where their mouth is.

Now you want to talk dangerous animal rights Humane Society US on the -national- level. Note I said national, there are many, many, local chapters that are no kill shelters that do good work as others on this thread mentioned. But just for grins sometime I encourage you to do a Google search on HSUS. Look at their web pages then read some of the other articles written about them. You will find most are slanted one way or the other, but my general impression is that on a management level. I mean at the top president so on not rank and file they have just as radical an agenda as PETA they just have brains enough to hide it. Now that is something that worries me.

LtRipley

I don't hunt, but not out of moral reasons, just because I find nothing interesting about sitting in a tree stand or a duck blind waiting for something to happen by, tracking might be more interesting for me, but no one around here does that. Most of my family are outdoorsmen, especially my uncle and his family, and I grew up in the middle of the woods and have always loved wildlife. And having grown up around hunters and worked around them (I worked at Bass Pro Shops for a good two years) I always get annoyed when people act like hunters are just out to kill everything. Yeah, there are some ignorant pricks out there who are (like the time in one of my high school classes we were watching a documentary about endangered species and there was some redneck talking about how he'd shoot something even if it was endangered because that just made it even cooler to mount on his wall), but for the most part hunters are usually also environmentalists who understand the importance of land and resource management to keep up healthy population numbers of wild animals. Also since humans have removed most of the apex predators from most areas hunters are important for keeping population sizes from getting out of control.

I don't trust any of the big national organizations involved with animal welfare, not the AKC, not the HSUS, and I'm also very skeptical of the ASPCA, when an entity reaches that level there's jsut so much corruption. People would do better donating to local animal shelters, not these big corporations that have become more about power and public relations.

Most celebrities though are pretty out of touch with reality. So I'm not surprised they do stuff like endorse PETA or donate to them.

Retribution

Ironic you mention population management. That is where Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited are at odds. Delta backs predator management (duck nest raiders coons, skunks so on) DU is appalled by the idea because it is not politically correct. Delta has science that shows things that control coons and other nest raiders have been removed so the only control is well trapping. Double politically incorrect! But nest raiders are decimating ducks and other ground nesting birds such as quail heck kildeers which are non game. I may have misspelled the later, but the anti fur  and anti trapping movement has lead to a population explosion of coons, skunks, possums ect... and they eat a lot of eggs.

Beguile's Mistress

My Grandy used to say the animals don't care about politics.  They just want to breed and eat.  His friend, Eagle Feather, had his own philosophy.  The best way to protect animals is to get rid of people.  The animals did fine before we started taking over the world.

Retribution

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 13, 2013, 03:33:11 PM
My Grandy used to say the animals don't care about politics.  They just want to breed and eat.  His friend, Eagle Feather, had his own philosophy.  The best way to protect animals is to get rid of people.  The animals did fine before we started taking over the world.

True, but as a people I kind of like my place in the world  :-)

LtRipley

Quote from: Retribution on July 13, 2013, 03:26:17 PM
Ironic you mention population management. That is where Delta Waterfowl and Ducks Unlimited are at odds. Delta backs predator management (duck nest raiders coons, skunks so on) DU is appalled by the idea because it is not politically correct. Delta has science that shows things that control coons and other nest raiders have been removed so the only control is well trapping. Double politically incorrect! But nest raiders are decimating ducks and other ground nesting birds such as quail heck kildeers which are non game. I may have misspelled the later, but the anti fur  and anti trapping movement has lead to a population explosion of coons, skunks, possums ect... and they eat a lot of eggs.

yeah unfortunately we've kind of gotten the food web all sorts of screwed up. They don't need to be supporting the population of secondary predators without having the presence of apex predators to keep them in check. That's exactly why my dream job is wildlife biology with a specialization in large predators, especially wolves. People really don't understand how important apex predators are for keeping everything under them in balance.

Trieste

"I hate animal rights and I'm glad PETA gives you all a bad name!" seems kind of inflammatory, especially since the majority of those concerned with animal rights are concerned with humane treatment and general kindness to animals. I don't know that you realize that most people concerned with animal rights are pretty well sane and who realize that overpopulation is a problem that affects quite a few species.

Whatever the case.

Quote from: Beguile's Mistress on July 13, 2013, 03:33:11 PM

Doesn't this miss the fact that people are an animal, too? ::)

Retribution

Quote from: Trieste on July 14, 2013, 10:34:00 AM
"I hate animal rights and I'm glad PETA gives you all a bad name!" seems kind of inflammatory, especially since the majority of those concerned with animal rights are concerned with humane treatment and general kindness to animals. I don't know that you realize that most people concerned with animal rights are pretty well sane and who realize that overpopulation is a problem that affects quite a few species.

Whatever the case.

Ah but I happen to differentiate between animal rights and animal welfare. As I mentioned before I have nothing but respect for say the local shelter....animal welfare. I have nothing but contempt for the goal of setting the cattle of the world free as they were meant to be. Minor detail a domestic cow could not survive in the wild for example. Animal rights, so in my vocabulary the people concerned for animals would be into animal welfare. Those are the sane people. I should have expressed that better, but I thought it was a common understanding shows what one gets from assuming.

Retribution

I wnet back to my original post because I thought I expressed my understanding and support of local shelters so on. I think this quote shows that.

Quote from: Retribution on July 13, 2013, 08:34:46 AM

Now you want to talk dangerous animal rights Humane Society US on the -national- level. Note I said national, there are many, many, local chapters that are no kill shelters that do good work as others on this thread mentioned.

And since terminology seems to be an issue here is an interesting little historical and legal bit on the issue.

http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Animal+Rights

Mera1506

Well animal welfare is important. The PETA is just a bunch of jerks who don't seem to understand that animals who have lived among humans might not survive in the wild. A sad example was the killer whale Free Willy who died of lonelyness once completely cut on from humans. He didn't know how to talk to his own kind anymore. This is where organisations go overboard, the welfare of animals should come first and if an animal is happier in captivity with humans that's fine.

Though I would like to see the number of test animals reduced because their treatment is inhumane.

Callie Del Noire

I once read the will of the PETA founder. I can't articulate how creepy those folks are.

Add in their 'kill' shelters and other antics, and sanctimonious attitudes.. I look for other ways to help animals. Anyone that runs ANYTHING with ties to PETA gets lots of scrutiny

Shjade

Quote from: Sel Nar on July 12, 2013, 07:00:06 PM
She's also been on record as stating that, if a cure for HIV/AIDS was found, and it involved even the hint of animal testing, that she'd protest and try to destroy the cure.

Jesus.

Just...I have no words. The fuck.

Westboro I can understand. They're the absolute height of real life vile trolling, hate-spewing, self-righteous dickery, fine, whatever. But that? That's...I mean, assuming she's serious, that's psychotic. Like, not even borderline. She's crazy.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.