Internet Racism?

Started by Lady Ayame, May 05, 2010, 01:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Ayame

So the other day I was bored and playing games on omgpop.com, it's a multi-player flash website, It's actually can be quite fun to play a variety of games and customize your profile etc, etc. When I had first signed up I had put up a picture of myself on my profile, most of the other members had their own pictures up so I jumped on the bandwagon.

Anyway I was playing Draw-my-Thing which is basically online Pictionary, and the first person to draw something instead wrote on the clear slate in red letters. "OMG Asian, Get out".
Shocked, I looked at the other pictures of the players, none of them Asian (except me) and one a picture of a smiley face. Confused, I just continued on with the game, waiting for the
first player's turn to finish so the next person could go. The next drawer's word was "Celcius" and began to draw a thermometer, somebody guessed the word after a while and then
the second player wrote in the chatbox "HAH, science question and the Asian LOST IT". From there the other two players joined in, they mainly mocked me at my guesses "WTF that is
obviously not a car you dumb asian, aren't you supposed to be smart or something?" or my drawings "OOOOH Asian can draw well on the computer, what a FUCKING SURPRISE". I just
tried to ignore it but they kept on going, telling me to get out of the game, it got to the point where I became so irritated that I logged out of the game.

I'm not sure what happened there, Mob Mentality? Somebody else said it, so it was okay? Was I letting them win when I changed my picture to a cartoon instead? I'd rather just enjoy the game and avoid the drama, but my Indian friend is yelling at me to put my picture back and stand up for myself.

It's weird how much ruder people become when they can hide behind a computer screen and a user name, I thought we lived in 2010? We finally have something other than a white guy
for president! Does racism still exist on such a hidden level that people can bring it out only when they can hide behind something? God forbid we act racist anymore, thats not 2010, thats not green.

Thoughts?

Tsenta

Often it's not even a issue with racism when it comes to racist insults on the internet, it comes down to maturity.

I help out with a website that handles thousands of users of all races, said behavior is often seen by those who're often used to causing trouble for kicks. I don't think your race would of mattered to them, they would have found a new way to pick on the newbie. By gender, weight, religion, etc. It's almost like high school but more crude, certain people run small cliques which insult others just for laughs.

While there are idiots like that out there, it's best to just leave it be. The internet opens up countless routes of communication, whether it be racist, financial, intimate, or just immature children trying to have fun at the expense of others.

While it could be mob mentality it's more likely to be that the three of them were friends in some sense, when the leader of the "pack" starts they get the guts to chime in. 

Be proud of yourself, letting them get to you is giving them exactly what they wanted. I can't tell you to change your picture back but I personally agree with your friend. Best of luck!
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Muninn

I suspect it was a mob of trolls with nothing else better to do but to pick on someone else.  Don't let 'em get to you. ;)

TheLovelyMaid

I've also noticed that people like to bare their true opinions over the internet. With that shield that is the computer screen, people are able to do nearly anything.

I've left boards, I've had instances where no one would rp even a friendly plot with my character, just because I decided to use someone with a darker skin tone, I've come online in in a happy mood, only to see people's ignorance displayed in a cbox or a chat room.

I mostly play racially ambiguous characters; I've played women of all races. Personally, I've been known to assimilate, just to eliminate the drama. Some times it feels like a cop-out, and that I'm taking the easy way out, but if it'll keep the peace, that's the most important part to me.  As long as I'm true to myself outside of this non-reality, then that's what matters.  But, as Tsenta has said, it does come down to maturity, and if I'm a mod or an admin, I just wield my banstick without so much as a word.  Immaturity is rampant on the internet, and gives people security in knowing that their reputation in reality won't be affected.  Racism hasn't gone away. It's still in our reality, and now has crossed over into the non-reality.

Not everyone was raised the same way.  So we can't expect everyone to be intolerant of racism.  It's sad, and it sucks.

I'd say that you should do whatever you feel is best. If you want to put up your pic, then do so, if you want to do the cartoon, then do that.  It's whether or not you feel comfortable.  Those asswipes were just jealous of your drawing skillz.  As Muninn said, don't let 'em get to you.

HairyHeretic

Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

GeekFury

I find this ALOT on the X-Box 360 or 'Place for whooping dickheads to run free', now to clear things up, I am whiter than a snowman with a bukkake fetish, yet for some known reason when people ask where I live due to my accent and I say 'Scotland' I get ( and I will censor ) this yelled at me down the voice chat, "FUCKIN' N**** I BET YOU'RE PLAYIN' ON SOME FUCKING HOME BUILT SYSTEM IN YA MUD HUT!" and that's one of the tamer ones, I've been called everything from antisemitic slurs, racists slurs which only once have been "Limey bastard" which I was rather annoyed at as Limey tends to mean English not Scottish.

These comments I tend to find 90% f the time come from American players and isle ones who sound like rednecks or 12 year old kids trying to be cool, the rest I find comes from Brittish players but that's the old Scotland/England rivalry which I take with a grain of salt as I am no saint in those matters myself. Now this is not to say I've not played with American players who aren't raging arseholes, infact I've played with a number and have a number of them on my friendslist who are grade A nice folk, but the majority of griefing I get does come from the other side of the pond. I don't know, maybe it's inbuilt into these idiots to hate everyone not their own colour, in which case all that can be said is ignorance is no excuse, so fuck 'em I'd like to see how well they do in life with attitudes like that.

Serephino

Unfortunately there are a lot of Americans who are ignorant assholes.  You wouldn't think so because the population is made up of so many different races, but... there you have it.  I'm hoping some day people will grow up, but it doesn't look hopeful. 

I really wouldn't give those jerks a second thought.  People who tend to bash others behind a computer tend to be cowards.  They can say anything they want and you can't do anything back, so that works out well for them. 

DarklingAlice

Quote from: HairyHeretic on May 05, 2010, 03:07:54 AM
This may shed some light on the subject too

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19/

Agreed.

I also agree with the mob/pack mentality thing. If it were not race, most likely they would have latched onto something else. Anonymity is a powerful force that can be used both for good and [expletive deleted]. Small minded people should never dissuade you however, they betray their worthlessness with their idiocy and can safely be ignored.
For every complex problem there is a solution that is simple, elegant, and wrong.

Kisu

I agree with most of what has been said so far. A combination of mob-mentality and anonymity makes people comfortable saying things they would never imagine saying to someone in real life. I think that that is one of the problems that comes with dealing with people on the internet. I doubt it was a group of friends or people conspiring together to pick on you. It was probably that the first person started it and the other two joined in, either because they didn't want to end up on the receiving end of the rudeness, or because for some messed up reason they felt like it would be fun to join in. I'm not saying that its right that they did that though.

I do agree that if the first person hadn't started the business over your skin color, they would have started something over something else, whether with you or one of the other players. They were probably a troll and the other players were just easily influenced. I hope that you don't let their idiotic actions get to you too much. I'd like to say that I think you should put your picture back up and stand up to them, but to be honest I think that would just cause more conflict. If you're up for it, then more power to you, but if it was me I'd leave the cartoon to avoid drama. I do have to say though, that I'm sorry that this happened to you :(

Beguile's Mistress

Unfortunately, it's still everywhere.  On my way to work I go past a line of stores that front onto the sidewalk.  I keep to the right as I should and never have a problem.  This morning a woman exiting a store stepped across my path and headed in the opposite direction.  She was on a cell phone and not paying attention so I took a step to the side to avoid a collision.  She still walked into me and then began shouting at me saying she should feel glad I didn't knock her down or out into the street.  I kept walking, ignoring her.  That was when I was hit with:  "Yeah, that's right.  You white so you think you own the world.  Ignorant white bitch!"

The collision didn't happen because I'm white or she's black but because she was talking on her cell phone and not paying attention.  Still in her mind it's my fault because she's black and I'm white and I suppose that makes me a bigot, prejudiced or a racist. 

Will

They may or may not truly be racists.  Mostly, they just get their kicks by being contemptible shitbags and getting reactions, and racial slurs are a very effective way to do that.  I'm sorry that you had to deal with it, Ayame. : /
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Oniya

Quote from: GeekFury on May 05, 2010, 08:03:36 AM
I find this ALOT on the X-Box 360 or 'Place for whooping dickheads to run free', now to clear things up, I am whiter than a snowman with a bukkake fetish, yet for some known reason when people ask where I live due to my accent and I say 'Scotland' I get ( and I will censor ) this yelled at me down the voice chat, "FUCKIN' N**** I BET YOU'RE PLAYIN' ON SOME FUCKING HOME BUILT SYSTEM IN YA MUD HUT!" and that's one of the tamer ones, I've been called everything from antisemitic slurs, racists slurs which only once have been "Limey bastard" which I was rather annoyed at as Limey tends to mean English not Scottish.

These comments I tend to find 90% f the time come from American players and isle ones who sound like rednecks or 12 year old kids trying to be cool, the rest I find comes from Brittish players but that's the old Scotland/England rivalry which I take with a grain of salt as I am no saint in those matters myself. Now this is not to say I've not played with American players who aren't raging arseholes, infact I've played with a number and have a number of them on my friendslist who are grade A nice folk, but the majority of griefing I get does come from the other side of the pond. I don't know, maybe it's inbuilt into these idiots to hate everyone not their own colour, in which case all that can be said is ignorance is no excuse, so fuck 'em I'd like to see how well they do in life with attitudes like that.

This is probably a case of staircase wit, but the response that flashed through my head to the 'mud hut' slur was  'Why yes.  I can construct intricate electronic components out of paper clips and duct tape.  That's what you get from paying attention in school.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

GeekFury

Quote from: Oniya on May 07, 2010, 12:42:09 AM
This is probably a case of staircase wit, but the response that flashed through my head to the 'mud hut' slur was  'Why yes.  I can construct intricate electronic components out of paper clips and duct tape.  That's what you get from paying attention in school.'

My response to them saying that was 'Well yeah, I'm fucking Macgyver!'

Sanai

I for years played Warcraft 3: The Frozen Throne. Alot of people online felt the strange need to use the N word excessively, and loved to swear alot. I usually just squelched them and ignored them, as they sounded like stupid 12 year olds. Unfortunatly, racism is still prevalent, and the internet, particularly online gaming, is particularly rife with it.
What have I become?
My Sweetest Friend..
Everyone I know..
Goes Away in the End.
You Could have it All...
My Empire of Dirt
I will Let you down...
I will make you Hurt.

Secretwriter

Those people sound like royal douche bags. Don't let it hurt your feelings, they didn't have a right to say it but you know well that you're more than just your skin or ethnic heritage. So much more.  They were probably some 16 year old internet trolls getting off on how witty they were. 

HairyHeretic has a major point. 

If you change your pic, you hide who you are. But at the same time, if it makes you feel better then go for it.  No one has the right to judge you.  *huggles*

Secret's Bio | Tanja's Bio

I see hell in your eyes. Taken in by surprise. And touching you makes me feel alive.

♦ Kitty's Brain ♥ Pockets's Lucky Charm ♥ Doom Cookie Monster ♥ Shade's Spanking Machine ♥ Najdan's Sinful Little Devil ♦

Oniya

Quote from: GeekFury on May 07, 2010, 05:20:02 AM

*thumbs up*  Fits with the whole Scotland angle, too (Mac's given name was Angus).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

OldSchoolGamer

I say put your pic up if you want.  Never change who or what you are or how you live your life because of some assclowns. 

Leo

Quote from: Lady Ayame on May 05, 2010, 01:08:11 AM
I'm not sure what happened there, Mob Mentality? Somebody else said it, so it was okay? Was I letting them win when I changed my picture to a cartoon instead? I'd rather just enjoy the game and avoid the drama, but my Indian friend is yelling at me to put my picture back and stand up for myself.

It's weird how much ruder people become when they can hide behind a computer screen and a user name, I thought we lived in 2010? We finally have something other than a white guy
for president! Does racism still exist on such a hidden level that people can bring it out only when they can hide behind something? God forbid we act racist anymore, thats not 2010, thats not green.

Thoughts?

Reminds me of certain experiences I had online. It's true that racism is easier when people can hide behind screen names. The fact of the matter is, however, that racism is still a common thing in the world. People simply pretend not be so or just be bordering racism but not crossing line. It's not as easy as it used to be to get a mob to grab torches and chase "witches" anymore, so people keep their thoughts to themselves or among friends/family.

When they do get the freedom to express their rotten nature without consequences, however, they become the nuisance you, me and hundreds of thousands have in common. I've found the solution to be simply ignoring these people, pretty much every online application from forums to games have a user ignore function these days - use it. ;)
I'm not new. I just... lurk...

Leo

Quote from: GeekFury on May 07, 2010, 05:20:02 AM

That's hilarious mate , good one! :D

Wolfy

I just keep my mouth shut in an online game...>_> Even if members of my party on Xbox live start doing it, I just stay quiet. o-o...

Though then again, they say not doing anything at all is worse than doing something...

Leo

Nope, being silent is the best choice if you ask me. For example, when I play Call of Duty : Modern warfare 2 online, the first thing I do at the lobby is mute everyone in the game so I can just play my game and during the game, keep my eyes away from chat.

Let them waste their breath and energy trying to satisfy themselves and fail miserably.

LIAR

Quote from: Leo on June 24, 2010, 09:55:19 AM
Nope, being silent is the best choice if you ask me.
+1

Mute is your friend. Let the knuckledragging mouthbreathing blowhards nerdrage at the screen while you enjoy your game without the background noise of epeen thumping.

MercyfulFate

I just ignore it, easy. I'm white and have been called a dirty mexican, a nigger, a kike and almost everything in the book.

Leo

Quote from: MercyfulFate on June 24, 2010, 03:42:46 PM
I'm white and have been called a dirty mexican, a nigger, a kike and almost everything in the book.

That's an example of the level stupidity that you are up against right there, Lady Ayame. Simply not worth the time.

Wolfy

Quote from: Your Akina on June 24, 2010, 03:17:35 PM
+1

Mute is your friend. Let the knuckledragging mouthbreathing blowhards nerdrage at the screen while you enjoy your game without the background noise of epeen thumping.

Well, every game has a mute feature that let's me turn them off. I just report and mute them. *shrugs*

iroleplayyaoi

I'm really sorry to hear that something like that happened to you. I wouldn't know how it feels like to be called something due to race [I'm white], but from past bullying I do know that words can hurt a lot.

Don't let it get to you and change your avi back to what it was before. You'll only be showing the trolls that their words really hurt you and you don't want that. Find an icon that says something like "I'm asian and I'm proud!" or "if these eyes don't look open, than open your damn eyes!" [I heard that on a movie, but I can't remember what one] or "watch it I'm asian, I know how to kick ass."

Really stick it to them and you might not even come across them ever again in the first place. Just use what you know people believe [damn sterotypes] to your advantage and make/find a funny icon that really sticks it to them.  ;)

Also, it still exists. Take it from the girl that had her step dad say "I didn't know they let them in there" when a black lady came out of Money Tree. I was SO embarrassed and to this day I don't know if she heard it or not.

People just have issues with other people for some reason. If we could all get alone and not have war issues or anything, that would be great. Too bad there are more mean/trolls/rude people out there than nice one's.

Leo

Encouraging someone to stand up to bullies is a thoughtful act, but not really the best advice. See, me and a couple others suggested silence because these bullies want attention, that's the primary reason behind their behavior. They will thrive on the attention given to them, keep harassing you until you give up.

Unless one is a person who believes sometimes violence is the correct answer, silence is always the best option. But if one is not hesitant to land a couple of punches and all, it's always a quick solution to break a few teeth so that bully can't talk for a few weeks without his mouth hurting. Not that it solves anything, it can be satisfactory sometimes. :P

markjohn510

It is still present in today's America,I have a Muslim room mate with me in college and we log in to the internet to play a computer game called counter strike a lot, it's basically us against everyone and every time we play, anonymous people log in and call him a terrorist or make fun of his religion, it's hurtful for me too being a friend sitting next to him and watching him take it, he is a great guy and a loyal friend, but some people just have to brand others, and its a disgrace.

Leo

Hmm, I'll be branching out of the topic here a bit, so bear with me please.

In Turkey we've been suffering from terrorism for nearly 20 years now. Sacrificed thousands of soldiers and civilians to the armed reaction to past political choices made by the old governments. The term terrorism is misunderstood thanks to the simpleton media of today. I find it safe to claim those who separate themselves from one or more types of citizens of their country are no better than armed terrorists who kill people to make a point. Terrorism is about dividing the people of a country in two or three or a million groups, categorizing yourself and others like enemies and hating anyone that is not "one of you".

To the people of some countries, terrorists are muslims or middle-easterns. To others it's Americans. Frankly I think all are wrong. A terrorist, if you ask me, is anyone (with weapons or with words) trying to divide a country into factions. Sometimes the excuse is based on racism, sometimes on conflicting political views and sometimes on cultural nature. Whatever the reason and the means may be, true terrorists are those who think hostile approach and taking sides on the same corner will solve anything.

Anyone's free to correct/counter my claims... I just felt like saying what I think when I read markjohn510's friend is being harassed with the term terrorist.

markjohn510

Quote from: Leo on June 27, 2010, 10:51:16 AM
Hmm, I'll be branching out of the topic here a bit, so bear with me please.

In Turkey we've been suffering from terrorism for nearly 20 years now. Sacrificed thousands of soldiers and civilians to the armed reaction to past political choices made by the old governments. The term terrorism is misunderstood thanks to the simpleton media of today. I find it safe to claim those who separate themselves from one or more types of citizens of their country are no better than armed terrorists who kill people to make a point. Terrorism is about dividing the people of a country in two or three or a million groups, categorizing yourself and others like enemies and hating anyone that is not "one of you".

To the people of some countries, terrorists are muslims or middle-easterns. To others it's Americans. Frankly I think all are wrong. A terrorist, if you ask me, is anyone (with weapons or with words) trying to divide a country into factions. Sometimes the excuse is based on racism, sometimes on conflicting political views and sometimes on cultural nature. Whatever the reason and the means may be, true terrorists are those who think hostile approach and taking sides on the same corner will solve anything.

Anyone's free to correct/counter my claims... I just felt like saying what I think when I read markjohn510's friend is being harassed with the term terrorist.

Leo, how many Americans are called terrorists in America? yet how many of them are called terrorists in Iraq? If you mentioned the media distorting definitions, then my friend, here too is the same case, the media portrays Middle Eastern people calling Americans terrorists, the people don't think that way and even if they do, there is no fault of the American people in that, it is the fault of the administration, the people should not be given labels based on what its administration or a group of people among them do! that is just wrong. Lots of soldiers have died in Iraq, U.S soldiers, but millions of innocent Muslims have died in Iraq,Afghanistan and Kashmir, and still being killed and women being raped, children being handed guns instead of toys, everything we see here is shown as were doing good for the country we invade,while on the other side we are portrayed as the enemy, it's like the media has taken the role of being on the side of whoever pays more (America in America,Iraq in Iraq) and in return jus sits and reaps profits.

Leo

I believe I've stated in my past that I think the conceptions of either west or east being terrorists is wrong. If there is need for specific details, I'll say that I tried to explain how media attempts to label countries and people. I've also tried to explain terrorists are often the ones who accuse others of being so.

Leo

mmm, "stated in my post"  not past -sorry  :D

Oniya

And yet, there are Caucasian terrorists:  Timothy McVeigh.  Ted Kaczinsky.  Whoever was responsible for the 2001 DC Anthrax mailings (the one non-Caucasian investigated there was exonerated.  The prime suspect committed suicide by Tylenol OD.). 

A terrorist is one who intends to inflict terror, regardless of race, creed, or any other consideration.

Leo

If a man is glorifying men and women who killed hundreds of people and calling them heroic guerrillas instead of terrorists, is he not a terrorist himself? Or if a man is trying to divide society into factions from which terrorism will be spoon fed its recruits, is he innocent? Is aiding terrorism, not terrorism?

Perhaps the term needs a more sophisticated depiction, or am I missing something? I'll admit I'm speaking from personal experience and judgment and not official information on the stuff. I figured I didn't need to read about something I can just follow the daily news and learn about, make my own judgment as to what it is.

Lilias

Quote from: Leo on June 27, 2010, 08:31:09 AM
Encouraging someone to stand up to bullies is a thoughtful act, but not really the best advice. See, me and a couple others suggested silence because these bullies want attention, that's the primary reason behind their behavior. They will thrive on the attention given to them, keep harassing you until you give up.

Hurling provocation back at the hateslingers is one thing, ignoring them is another, capitulating to their demands is yet another. The OP can very well restore her avatar, then proceed to refuse to even acknowledge, let alone respond to, their attacks. The ignore function is her (and everyone else's) best friend - that's why all internet communities have one. I've used it liberally myself over the years, and definitely recommend it. All the vociferating in the world can do squat to one who isn't listening.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Leo

Quote from: Lilias on June 27, 2010, 02:24:35 PM
All the vociferating in the world can do squat to one who isn't listening.

That's the goddamn truth :D

Chevalier des Poissons

QuoteI'm not sure what happened there, Mob Mentality? Somebody else said it, so it was okay?

In Brazil we have a concept to define people like that: e-penis. It consists on how much certain random troll has virtual fame. Inn that specific case, maybe the one who started it, or the first one to say something about it after the first comment, was someone with a big e-penis, meaning that, in the mob mentality, he was one with a good amount of virtual respect. That caused the others to lose their personalities and follow the lead blindly. Regardless of what one says, the others will follow "just for the lolz"

QuoteWas I letting them win when I changed my picture to a cartoon instead?

It is not about winning or losing, it is about how much you let their bullying affect you. Your indian friend was right on defending your picture, you should've let it there instead and ignored their comments. I know it is easier to say than to do that, but they are exactly like school bullies: Ignore them and they will go away.

QuoteIt's weird how much ruder people become when they can hide behind a computer screen and a user name, I thought we lived in 2010? We finally have something other than a white guy

Sad news: Racism never went away. The difference from today to last month is that people care more about the opinion of everyone else, enough to hide who they really are, afraid of being judged, because they can and will judge everybody else in their minds. That's why people tend to change when they are in the internet, for the exact same reason most of them change when drunk: They lose their innibitions. In the internet case it is because they are protected by the annonimity of the virtual world, otherwise they would actually treat you like a queen, hence nerd kids are shy in their real lives and tend to hit on every living girl in the internet.

I honestly believe that some people maybe voted for a black president in a way to say "See? I am not racist", even if just to themselves.
-I have Maro's heart, and I promise to take good care of it-

A & A

Lord Drake

I know this may be seen as sitting on the fence but I guess this kind of internet behavior must be approached case-by-case. There are cases into which ignoring the offender is the best solution and other cases into which that would be basically "giving up". It all depends on who the offender is, actually.

If the offence is caused with the precise intent of starting an argument, I would say that the best reaction would be to use the "ignore" button as Lilias said. There are those who are plain trolls and they roam the internet trying to start flamewars and they obviously tackle sensitive topics when trying to do so.

If the offence is part of a more complex debate, I usually stand my ground, though.
Hey.. where did you put that Drake?
I've taken the Oath of The Drake for Group RPs!
“Never waste your time trying to explain who you are
to people who are committed to misunderstanding you.”
— Dream Hampton

Florence

I often think if someone were to see me and my online friends in our group chats, they'd think we were horrible racists, but the thing is we just make stupid jokes because we all know none of us are taking it seriously. I have a black friend in that group who's like a brother to me, and I make racist jokes at him all the time, and he takes it in stride, and usually makes a witty comeback of his own.

That said, I find it completely disgusting when people go out and harass other people like that. I would never say that kind of stuff in public, not because I'm like... afraid of getting shot or any stupid reason like that, I just know that other people would get very rightfully offended.

However, the honest truth is that they were probably not really racists, they were just engaging in the national pastime of the internet: trolling. Simply put, there's two ways to handle that. Either confront them and have fun arguing with them, or just ignore them. Just don't take them seriously, that's the key.
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

markjohn510

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on July 02, 2010, 06:44:02 AM
I often think if someone were to see me and my online friends in our group chats, they'd think we were horrible racists, but the thing is we just make stupid jokes because we all know none of us are taking it seriously. I have a black friend in that group who's like a brother to me, and I make racist jokes at him all the time, and he takes it in stride, and usually makes a witty comeback of his own.

That said, I find it completely disgusting when people go out and harass other people like that. I would never say that kind of stuff in public, not because I'm like... afraid of getting shot or any stupid reason like that, I just know that other people would get very rightfully offended.

However, the honest truth is that they were probably not really racists, they were just engaging in the national pastime of the internet: trolling. Simply put, there's two ways to handle that. Either confront them and have fun arguing with them, or just ignore them. Just don't take them seriously, that's the key.

Great response Finn but I must say,out of your two options, I'd go for the first (fighting)

Leo

I gave this a bit of thought and arrived this conclusion :

If you respond to the trolls, you satisfy them in some ways.
If you choose silence, you satisfy them in other ways.

The best choice seems to be what you feel comfy with the most.

Lyell

I am only posting this because I think it is abstractly related to Ayame's situation. I do not feel her reaction was out of line, over the top or unjustified. It (the video) represents an extreme situation and the reaction to it. And I think this guy is hilarious.

Rated M for insanely vulgar language. Consider yourself warned.

Cyber Bullies
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: markjohn510 on July 02, 2010, 06:49:02 AM
Great response Finn but I must say,out of your two options, I'd go for the first (fighting)

Why?

A & A

Leo

Quote from: Lyell on July 02, 2010, 03:45:38 PM
I am only posting this because I think it is abstractly related to Ayame's situation. I do not feel her reaction was out of line, over the top or unjustified. It (the video) represents an extreme situation and the reaction to it. And I think this guy is hilarious.

Rated M for insanely vulgar language. Consider yourself warned.

Cyber Bullies

The Chief concludes this video to be made of win and agrees the guy is hilarious. The Chief also thanks you for sharing.

markjohn510

Quote from: Chevalier des Poissons on July 02, 2010, 04:49:14 PM
Why?

Because I'm a sensitive person, I don't like being rude nor do I like rude people. Racism can often make people cry, and those tears are for what? For regret of being created the way one has been created? BS! Racists should be dissed at every possible event, because no one as the right to make fun of a person because of the way he was created, or because of the religion he practices

Chevalier des Poissons

Quote from: markjohn510 on July 03, 2010, 06:13:16 AM
Because I'm a sensitive person, I don't like being rude nor do I like rude people. Racism can often make people cry, and those tears are for what? For regret of being created the way one has been created? BS! Racists should be dissed at every possible event, because no one as the right to make fun of a person because of the way he was created, or because of the religion he practices

But doesn't that line of thought is racism against the racists? Aren't we doing to them what they do to other people? I know that their victims are better than them somehow, but doesn't that idea fit the "eye for an eye" belic philosophy?

Think of that: No assaulter is going to change your mind about anything you think you are right about, and the racists tend to think they are -right- on what they are doing. Screaming and fighting then won't change their opinions. In the end we become as oppresive as they are, under the excuse that "they started it". Regardless of who started what, that idea makes it look like things will never end.

I know it is easier to say than to do it, but the best idea on those cases is to ignore them. The closest we can get to them is to beat them in a game, if they take that game too seriously. Basically break their pride, and that may not work as well.

A & A