496-Delta [Scifi Wasteland RP]

Started by GloomCookie, January 03, 2011, 10:43:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GloomCookie

496-Delta
A Wasteland RP by Linna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqbgncFCO0M&feature=player_detailpage

In 2674, the Shigatti Corporation sent an expedition to world 496-Delta, a barren and almost lifeless world on the edge of known space.  The expedition didn't expect to find much of anything useful, only here to see if the planet would even be worth mining or if it should just be left as a footnote on some log somewhere.  The discovery of thousands of metric tons of Verillium, a barely stable component used in the production of hypermatter engines, sent the Shigatti explorers scrambling back with word of the discovery.

The huge find made the news within hours of being broadcast, and instantly this tiny world became the focus of millions as they rushed to try and get to the planet and make a home mining the precious mineral that would make them rich, or leave them brittle skeletons in the shifting sands.  A boom planet it was called, its population going from zero to 2.6 million within three months of the discovery.  The first wave of miners, carrying equipment and provisions, was soon followed by the saloon and tavern owners, as well as the prostitutes, the cleaners, the restaurants, everything young men and women eager to strike a fortune want.

The year is 2680, and you and your compatriots are miners aboard mining crawler J8-94, a converted salvager with drills and sifting equipment looking to roam the deserts in search of the elusive mineral that will either leave you rich beyond your wildest dreams, or penniless and huddled in a tent in one of the shanty towns cropping up everywhere on the planet.  You'll face the harshest of sandstorms, ore stealing raiders, corrupt government officials, and every kind of low life the promise of wealth and power attracts.  Keep one eye open when you sleep, and your pistol under your pillow.

Background

In 2141, a science duo named Fujika and Barnes discovered a way to use hypermatter, matter compressed so tightly the internal nuclei were on the verge of touching, to warp and twist space to create a super compressed region infront of a ship and a super expanded region behind a ship to move space containing a ship faster than the speed of light.  The biggest hurdle in the production was the requirement of Verillium, an elusive element that was barely stable.

The biggest hurdle for Earth was that no source of Verillium was discovered until 2259, when the first samples of Jupiter's core discovered Verillium locked in the diamonds at Jupiter's core.  While this provided a boom in ship construction, the difficulty in obtaining the Verillium still kept the cost of starships excessively high, and thus most ships were either government operated or owned by powerful corporations.  The discovery of Verillium on 496-Delta, however, may for the first time allow private citizens to purchase ships and break the hold of megacorporations in ruling the trade of many worlds.

Species

There are several species that call Earth space home, especially along the frontier.  Almost 75% of the population is human, often of either direct Earth descent or from one of the four core worlds.  Few have the money to escape the outer worlds, and those that do often only do so through the military.  Humans enjoy the most abundant rights in Earth space, and are often a little arrogant about it.  Their arrival on the galactic scene is recent, but their ability to breed quickly means they often snatch up prime real estate before most species can gather a tenth of the same force.

Second most common in Earth space are Hu-Mods, humans that have been modified in some manner, or are entirely new species created from the basic human genotype.  Most Hu-Mods have enhancements made to them that enable them to better adapt to environments, make them physically stronger, see beyond the visual spectrum, etc.  If they were born human, they enjoy the same rights as normal humans, but the new species do not.  Homo Feline and Homo Canine are two such examples, their biology adapted to make them into sentient pets.  They are treated as little better than slaves, even if they're free, and often face discrimination by those who do not appreciate their skills or devotion.

Lastly are the aliens, the non-humans who have begun entering Earth space looking for work.  The galaxy is a big place, and many species have come trying to mine Verillium and make a profit.  Aliens have to face a battery of tests before they're allowed into Earth space, and even then are bound by law only to work certain areas or to pay extra taxes and fees.  Those that continue on to work often face even more discrimination than the modified species, and there is even a militant anti-alien group that encourages attacks on aliens to keep them from 'tainting Earth space'.

The Crawler

J8-94, your home away from home.  Built to roam similar desert worlds in search of scrap after the Freestar Rebellion, this converted salvager has since become a mining platform for you and your crew.  It's not the most comfortable ride, nor is it the fastest, but it can hold up to 100 tons of the super dense ore and haul it back while keeping the crew safe from most small arms fire and sandstorms.  Powerful search lights pierce the darkest of nights, and her sifting arm comes equipped with multiple tools for sifting sand, drilling into rock, and doing everything needed to find ore.

The Crawler was delivered to 496-Delta by a freighter captain who scooped up several of the salvagers from Patrick's World, the desert planet that saw the heaviest of the Rebel fighting.  Several starships fought in orbit and, over time, the debris from those wrecks landed on the deserts, their hulks a valuable source of salvage for anyone willing to comb the deserts for them.  Having been built on a desert world for a desert world, the Crawler is perfectly at home in the shifting sands, able to maintain a 12 klick run on even terrain.

Resume for Employment

[size=12pt][i][b]Physical Profile[/b][/i]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Species:[/b]
[b]Hair/Eyes:[/b]
[b]Distinguishing Characteristics:[/b]

[i][b]Miners Only[/b][/i]
[b]Profession:[/b] [i](Driver/Load Master/Mechanic/Surveyor/Navigator/Mineralogist/Other)[/i]
[b]Years of Experience:[/b]
[b]List of Previous Work:[/b]

[i][b]Medical Information[/b][/i]
[b]Next of Kin:[/b]
[b]Blood Type:[/b]
[b]Known Diseases:[/b]
[b]Physical Disabilities:[/b]
[b]Brief Biography:[/b][/size]
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Xillen

Hello :)

As a Sci-Fi junkie, your plot suggestion has managed to catch quite my interest!

However, I have some questions:
  • What is the number of players you are counting on?
  • Are you looking for specfic proportions between the amount of male and female players?
  • What board will this be played on? (Or should I ask, should players expect any non-con coming their way?)
  • I'm imagining this game will be rather action-heavy. Since it seems to be a freeform game, do you have an idea to keep fights fair while keeping player characters balanced?

Greetings, Xillen.

Helenia

I’ll put down my interest for this, i read through it and thought up a character immediately so i would like to give this ago.

Providing I’m not too busy with my other commitments I’m in.

This is definitely free-form? I don’t like systems at all.

GloomCookie

Quote from: Xillen on January 03, 2011, 01:34:20 PM
Hello :)

As a Sci-Fi junkie, your plot suggestion has managed to catch quite my interest!

However, I have some questions:
  • What is the number of players you are counting on?
  • Are you looking for specfic proportions between the amount of male and female players?
  • What board will this be played on? (Or should I ask, should players expect any non-con coming their way?)
  • I'm imagining this game will be rather action-heavy. Since it seems to be a freeform game, do you have an idea to keep fights fair while keeping player characters balanced?

Greetings, Xillen.

I'm thinking a crew of about five.

No proportions between genders

I've always used the EX boards, simply because I don't know what might get thrown around, but I don't do much non-con.  I just use the EX because of potential death and stuff.

Since I plan to GM, as long as everyone takes the time to pose at the NPCs, rather than directly control them, we can keep things balanced.  Like don't put words into an NPCs mouth, because they might say something or do something.  Example:

Julian watched the approaching man get closer before saying, "Hello"

The man picks up his rifle and takes a shot at Julian

Julian ducks just in time, popping back up and taking a shot at the other man.
My DeviantArt

CmdrRenegade

This sounds awesome.  I'm coming up with a character concept now.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

DuhMan

I'm totally in. I'll submit my character once I finish eating.

CmdrRenegade

Question about the Hu-Mods.  I was thinking about making one crossed with a wolf.  What would that look like? Would it be like an animeish wolf boy/man o or something more like Wolverine/Sabertooth?
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

GloomCookie

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 03, 2011, 08:19:59 PM
Question about the Hu-Mods.  I was thinking about making one crossed with a wolf.  What would that look like? Would it be like an animeish wolf boy/man o or something more like Wolverine/Sabertooth?

That's entirely up to you guys.  A Hu-Mod, as I try to imagine it, is any creature whose DNA has been altered such that it is no longer entirely human.  Whether that's a few animalistic mods (Like anime catgirls and such) done by a plastic surgeon or the entirely new species (Resembling something like Sabretooth) is up to the individual player.  As long as you don't go overboard (Dog with the brain of a human) we'll be fine.
My DeviantArt

CmdrRenegade

Physical Profile
Name: Seamus Finnigan
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 160 lbs.
Species:Human
Hair/Eyes: Brown/Ice Blue
Distinguishing Characteristics: Facial scarring from too many close calls, ear stud

Miners Only
Profession: Surveyor
Years of Experience: 5 in his current job, 7 in the other
List of Previous Work: Smuggler

Medical Information
Next of Kin: None that he knows of
Blood Type: O-
Known Diseases: None
Physical Disabilities: None
Brief Biography: Frontier spirit drove Seamus to 496-Delta.  He had worked with some success for a successful ore smuggling ring until the ring was broken up.  After attempting to do some prospecting on his own, he realized he was outmatched by the big companies.  He decided if he couldn't beat them, he would join them.  Smuggling had taught him how to survive for long periods of time in harsh environments, so he put his skills to work as a surveyor and has continued ever since.

GloomCookie

Federal Government of United Earth & Colonies
Department of the Interior, Mineral and Survey Division

This receipt certifies that SEAMUS FINNIGAN has the authority to conduct business in locating minerals for extraction by certified mining operations on planet 496-DELTA for all surface minerals to a depth of 15 meters below the applicable terminus.  This receipt is valid for 5 years from the date of confirmation.  Unauthorized duplication or alteration of this document is a felony under United Earth law and can be punishable by a ¢500,000 fine and/or 5 years in a federal penetentiary.

Adolphus von Braun
Adolphus von Braun
Department Supervisor
16 August 2679
My DeviantArt

DuhMan

Physical Profile

Name: Kale Alon Rezok
Height: 7'6"
Weight: 322lbs
Species: Hu-Mod (Altered by home planets atmosphere.)
Hair/Eyes: Black crew cut / Yellow
Distinguishing Characteristics: Weapons expert, tactical expert, battle hardened, tanned complexion, cybernetic heart & lungs.

Medical Information
Next of Kin: None
Blood Type: B
Brief Biography: Kale was born and raised on the infamous jungle death world Krock, a planet very few outsiders visited due to it's dangerous climate. He led a marginally successful life before volunteering for an off world expedition to 496-Delta. Upon their arrival, the Bladerunners established a base of operations and became an elite security force for hire. They also made a killing by looting the corpses of bandits and selling the survivors into slavery. Who would care what happened to a bunch of criminals anyways? Kale himself was hired to protect the crew of the sand crawler J8-94. Kale hoped to make enough money to have his own luxury grade living quarters by the age of 30.

GloomCookie

*pets DuhMan* Sorry hun, we're only looking for miners.  No security forces this go around.
My DeviantArt

Helenia

Physical Profile

Name: Celina Noira
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 145 lbs.
Species: Human
Hair/Eyes: Jet Black/Hazel Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics: Darkened half cast skin, Generally cheerful

Miners Only
Profession: Navigator
Years of Experience: 1 as part of an existing mining crew (Now disbanded)
List of Previous Work: Logistics Co-ordinator before falling into mining.

Medical Information
Next of Kin: Mother and Farther back on Earth (A disagreement over her carrier choices has left their relationship fragile.)
Blood Type: O

Brief Biography: Leaving school she joined the army as a logistics co-ordinator. Her career choice was not endorsed by her parents and for that reason she found it easier to work away. With an offer of more money and the ability to put her trades to good use she couldn’t turn down a job on a mining crawler. The crew  she worked with before sadly disbanded over various problems, the main cause the team not gelling together very well. Still Celina sees herself as a happy go lucky person who’s always smiling. The excitement she gains from working in such hostile places gives her a buzz only matched by her times served in war.

GloomCookie

Certificate of Completion
Jacob M Cooley School of Navigation
Colony Desert Navigation Course

This certificate is proof that CELINA NOIRA has completed and is certified to navigate on the surface of worlds without the aid of orbital navigation equipment under adverse conditions.  This certificate is required for the position of navigator on land-based vehicles when orbital navigation is unavailable.

Sandra R Bates
Senior Course Instructor
My DeviantArt