News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Something that made me angry: Christians vs "demonic yoga"

Started by Beorning, July 04, 2014, 01:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Specifically: one radical group of Christians...

Unfortunately, I can't give you any English-language link, but here's the story:

In one Polish city, a local yoga gym organizes free trainings in a park. Apparently, one vocal group of conservative Catholics is considering organizing a *protest* against these trainings. Why? Because they believe that yoga is demonic!

That particular group has long been quite vocal about lots of things. For years, they've been publishing books on how almost everything coming from foreign cultures (including the freaking martial arts!) is evil, demonic, spiritually-dangerous etc. That's their right. But actually going to other people's harmless events and disrupting them in the name of faith? Come on!

I really try not to fall for anti-clerical hysteria... but reading news like that, I'm really starting to fear that soon, in my country, you won't be allowed to say anything that contradicts Catholic dogma :(

BTW. In another news today, it turned out that my city's stock exchange won't be able to erect a statue with the stock exchange's symbols at a square nearby. Why? Because there's a church nearby, too, and the parishioners claim that the stock exchange's monument is "pagan"... *groans*

Devilyn Sydhe

I can't speak for Poland, but, here in the US, the right to peacefully assemble and protest is enjoyed by all sides of most issues.  Not that I agree with the group in Poland any more than I would the Phelps family here, but they have the right in free countries to speak out as long as they don't resort to violence.

Tsenta

To be honest, if they view EVERYTHING foreign demonic. Then they should protest all non-local foods, clothes, movies, etc.  Just politely point that out to them.  >.>;
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Zakharra

Does Poland have freedom of religion and no state sponsored religion? If so then you can politely tell them they do not have the right to force their views onto you and that in the arena of public ideas and in the public area itself, everyone has the right to speak up. Their rights do not trump yours and they are looking for ways to be offended that are.. offensive since they are applying -their- views and trying to force everyone else to conform to them.  And how is a monument to the stock exchange pagan?

Thesunmaid

Umm...how in the world is Yoga demonic? I mean really...its all about being in tune with your body and being able to stay calm and being able to clear your mind of hateful and angry thoughts..So it sort of sounds like the opposite of what these Catholics have floating about in their heads.

This is one of the reasons I am so very glad I am not a catholic anymore. This is the sort of thing that makes people think religious types are intolerant nut bunnies.I know a lot of lovely people with religion in their lives and they would look at these people like they were insane.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

Devilyn Sydhe

I think the point is that this a small fanatical group that shouldn't be used to paint the whole religion any more than all Muslims believing in Sharia law.  The Catholic church has not denounced yoga, only this fringe element just like the fringe in America rail against nativity scenes and roadside memorials.  The objects these groups attack are not causing harm in any way, but the groups have the right to waste their breath nontheless.

Beorning

Quote from: KalebHyde on July 05, 2014, 03:22:23 AM
I can't speak for Poland, but, here in the US, the right to peacefully assemble and protest is enjoyed by all sides of most issues.  Not that I agree with the group in Poland any more than I would the Phelps family here, but they have the right in free countries to speak out as long as they don't resort to violence.

I know, but... there's an issue of courtesy. I understand that they might have the right to protest... but really, should they? Can't they just leave those yoga people practice in peace..?

Quote from: Tsenta on July 05, 2014, 03:26:24 AM
To be honest, if they view EVERYTHING foreign demonic. Then they should protest all non-local foods, clothes, movies, etc.  Just politely point that out to them.  >.>;

Let me clarify: they are suspect of everything coming from non-Christian cultures.

Quote from: Zakharra on July 05, 2014, 09:48:38 AM
Does Poland have freedom of religion and no state sponsored religion? If so then you can politely tell them they do not have the right to force their views onto you and that in the arena of public ideas and in the public area itself, everyone has the right to speak up. Their rights do not trump yours and they are looking for ways to be offended that are.. offensive since they are applying -their- views and trying to force everyone else to conform to them.  And how is a monument to the stock exchange pagan?

But see... these people don't really care about freedom of religion etc. All they know that, according to their beliefs, yoga is evil! And they have to warn people against it! This trumps everything else.

As to the stock exchange monument... see, it consists of a bear and a bull. Pagan symbols, obviously. *headdesks*

Quote from: thesunmaid on July 05, 2014, 11:53:52 AM
Umm...how in the world is Yoga demonic? I mean really...its all about being in tune with your body and being able to stay calm and being able to clear your mind of hateful and angry thoughts...

But it can get you in touch with demonic entities! And get you possessed! It's what these people genuinely believe.

The same people are similarly suspicious of stuff like... aikido. Poor, harmless aikido...

TaintedAndDelish

Who needs critical thought and education when you can just let your church leaders do all the thinking for you?

elone

Quote from: Beorning on July 05, 2014, 03:26:09 PM
Let me clarify: they are suspect of everything coming from non-Christian cultures.

Funny, Jesus certainly came from a non Christian culture.
In the end, all we have left are memories.

Roleplays: alive, done, dead, etc.
Reversal of Fortune ~ The Hunt ~ Private Party Suites ~ A Learning Experience ~A Chance Encounter ~ A Bark in the Park ~
Poetry
O/O's

Mina

Quote from: thesunmaid on July 05, 2014, 11:53:52 AM
Umm...how in the world is Yoga demonic? I mean really...its all about being in tune with your body and being able to stay calm and being able to clear your mind of hateful and angry thoughts..So it sort of sounds like the opposite of what these Catholics have floating about in their heads.

I've actually heard of this attitude from Southern Baptists in the area where I grew up. Generally, it's due to the religious roots of yoga in Buddhism and Hinduism. To some Christians, it seems sacrilegious to practice something that traditionally taps into a foreign religion based on other/multiple gods. Classically, all other gods were demonized in the Judeo-Christian canon. So even if you don't practice yoga with religion in mind, the basis is still there. Just think of it like this: the people who have a big problem with yoga are exactly the same sort of people who have a big problem with celebrating Halloween because of its nebulous Pagan origins. It's a thankfully small minority of the Christian population.