News:

Main Menu

A Simple Question

Started by Black Howling, February 02, 2010, 06:30:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Howling

I'm not sure if this is where this thread should go. I do see others like it in the area, however, so I'm going to make the assumption.

My group and I have taken an interest in 'The World of Darkness' system, and I was wondering what all material was needed to run it. I understand that it is a D10 system of sorts, but we are very interested in playing Vampires and the like in a Modern Goth setting. So, I'd like to know if you just needed 'The World of Darkness' to do that, or if 'Vampire: The Requiem', and 'Werewolf: The Forsaken' were needed to play the supernatural races?

Please, if anyone can help me on this matter I'd be much obliged.   

HairyHeretic

I believe there is one core book, with the basic rules, then each of the other books - Vampire, Werewolf, Mage and so on - add on to that, with the rules for that particular section of the setting.

After that you have assorted setting books, some of which can be used for multiple settings (city books, equipment books etc), others which are setting specific.

If you're looking to play Vampire, I think you'd need at least the core book, and the Vampire book.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Black Howling

Thank you very much, Hairy. I thought that would be the case, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't one of those things I convinced myself of when looking at my wallet.

HairyHeretic

I'm not a WoD player, so someone may come along and correct me, but I think that's how it's set up.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Sabriel

Hihi

I am a long term WOD fan, and well if you are looking for a more intresting setting and a better system.

I would suggest maybe checking out the more original and faithful old world of darkness games, the good thing about them is that you also don't need more than one book if you only wish to focus on the one sort of type.

I.e for Vampires you only really need the book  Vampire: The Masquerade and a good imagination.

White wolf was great before they decided to jump on the band waggon with Wizards and restart there games at the expense of the material and game just in order to reap better profits.  Still can't blame them for wanting to make money and there is some merits and interests in the new bits, i mean the artwork is pretty for sure  ;D

With the new system, they have made it so that you basically require the World of darkness core book and a specific books for other types of creatures basically.  Its much like D&D in that you need a sort of rule book a book for races and such and well maybe some fluff books for setting info and such. Of course with a good imagination you can always just make do with the minimum and come up with your own setting info and that.

But myself having both i have always found the old world of darkness to be a much richer and enjoyable world, the new one just does not seam to compare to me it has always felt like an attempt to mimic it but like a modern movie attempting to mimic a classic fails in many regards and only leaves you hungering for the more original and faithful one.

I hope this might help you some, i freely admit to being quite biased against the new system but then I'm quite confident that there are many others who will agree with me on it being an inferior thing,  to me Ive always treated it as another game about similar things, just one that's not as good  so Ive never bothered with it much but well Ive still collected a few books.

If you have any questions you can pm me or post them here ill try check back, i hope you can get into the game too either the new or old I'm sure you will have a great time with either really.