Can someone recommend some new anime/manga to me?

Started by CmdrRenegade, January 19, 2011, 10:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Quote from: CmdrRenegade on January 27, 2011, 11:25:47 PM
@Xana: Agreed I have the whole series.  I'm amazed people still know about it.  Battle Royale, is that the one where the high school class gets stuck on an island and starts killing each other?

They actually made a live-action movie out of that relatively recently.

http://366weirdmovies.com/capsule-battle-royale-batoru-rowaiaru-2000#more-15397
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

freakula86

If you like zombie bashing survival and lots of bloody violence you should check out High School of the Dead or H.O.T.D that is what it is. Its a good anime I just recently finished the whole entire anime and I wasn't disappointed it in it.

I also enjoyed Gokusen, it was pretty good to. It had its action parts in it but it was mostly comedy, and another good anime was Rosario Vampire, just so you know all of the animes that I have named thus far are subbed.

WyldRanger

Quote from: Oniya on January 28, 2011, 08:16:13 PM

They actually made a live-action movie out of that relatively recently.

http://366weirdmovies.com/capsule-battle-royale-batoru-rowaiaru-2000#more-15397

Indeed...both the movie and manga have been adapted from the novel. All of which I've watched/read. Very good stuff, though intense. The book and the manga are awesome, the movie's ok, but not quite as intense in my opinion.

Wolfy

Quote from: freakula86 on January 28, 2011, 09:13:05 PM
If you like zombie bashing survival and lots of bloody violence you should check out High School of the Dead or H.O.T.D that is what it is. Its a good anime I just recently finished the whole entire anime and I wasn't disappointed it in it.

I also enjoyed Gokusen, it was pretty good to. It had its action parts in it but it was mostly comedy, and another good anime was Rosario Vampire, just so you know all of the animes that I have named thus far are subbed.

The Manga is much better for H.O.T.D.

And longer, as well.

Yorubi

Don't forget Rosario + Vampire is better Manga too if your every going to see it.

Wolfy

I must Recommend Beezlebub.

It's about a Juvenile Delinquent tasked with raising the Infant son of a Demon Lord.

:D

KaiiVii

M kinda surprised Crypt didn't mention Samurai Champloo ( I think that's how it is spelled)

I don't know much about the other one he mentioned, as I haven't seen it, I know a few people how like it.

As a person who is watching One Piece currently, I still like it, even if it is long.
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

Wolfy

Quote from: KaiiVii on January 30, 2011, 07:28:41 PM
M kinda surprised Crypt didn't mention Samurai Champloo ( I think that's how it is spelled)

I don't know much about the other one he mentioned, as I haven't seen it, I know a few people how like it.

As a person who is watching One Piece currently, I still like it, even if it is long.

It's long because it's good. :D and We're only at the Half-way point, according to the Author, so there's still 10 more years! :D Which means it could possibly be the longest running series of Manga....maybe..I know right now there are longer series, but they could also potentially end before it does.

Yorubi

One piece is so long haha. Really though I heard before that it wasn't suppose to last so long and it was planned to be a lot shorter but that changed and the maker pretty much made it out to be expanded as long as they wanted.

KaiiVii

It feels so Unified though, long but still one story. Its not just being continued to make money, but because there is that much story to tell. Personally, I'm okay with that as long as he doesn't die before its done.
"Whatever you are, be a good one"- Abe Lincoln

On/Off/Plot/etc Thread :)

Yorubi

Eh if feel like its doing the bleach like deal with adding in archs to beef it up, just doing it a lot better.

cryptkeeper0

hmmmm it doesn't feel like a 80s shock anime the violence does mean things in the context of the plot but its plot isn't all that complicated besides finding out what they actually are and most of the plot is devoted to the relationships of the characters more then anything else

blue gender is also good if you like post apocalyptic  as the story is very interesting to me.

Wolfy

Don't forget that Luffy never kills anyone he faces...at least not directly...he finds that crushing their hopes and dreams with his own are more of a victory than out right killing them.

And I also love how, you know, that one side character WAAAAAY back at the beginning can come back and have a heavy influence on the plot at the time, all seamlessly, too!

But yes, if you aren't watching Star Driver...you must. Nao. Go look it up. Seriously. o3o Plus, it has some awesome music. :D

Haruka Tomatsu - Monochrome Full Clean Version

Star Driver Opening 2

:D

I also have to recommend Bakuman again...it's a refreshing step away from all of the Action or Fan-service laden anime...Plus it's by the same Team who did DeathNote. :D

Yorubi

Doesn't really seem like my type of show personally. I mean code geass I liked just cause of the character conflicts I didn't care much of the mech battle stuff or any of that. ^^;;

I really do need to go watch Fairy Tail... series looked so interesting yet haven't really gotten a chance to watch it up. ^^;;

freakula86

If you like Scifi, Drama, Supernatural and action then you might want to give Gungrave a watch, I haven't read the Manga but I love the anime. Brandon Heat is the man in that show lol.

Wyrd

Lol! I don't even think Renegade cares anymore. :P

This should just be changed to the Anime and Manga Fan thread, lol
Ragtime Dandies!

freakula86

You do make a very good point there Wyrd..

I think everyone should set down and watch Dragonball Z Abridged.. ;D

Wyrd

I'm up for that ;D. Dragon Ball Z is one of the few Anime's I can swallow
Ragtime Dandies!

freakula86

Then I have the perfect website for you Wyrd.. but I will have to send it to your pm box.

Everyone should give it a watch just at least once lol.

Wolfy

Quote from: freakula86 on January 31, 2011, 06:23:07 PM
Then I have the perfect website for you Wyrd.. but I will have to send it to your pm box.

Everyone should give it a watch just at least once lol.

:/ I didn't know Teamfourstar's website was a banned site on Elliquiy.

freakula86

I didn't know and I haven't seen anything around so huh...I just wanted to be on the safe side lol..my bad.

In that case..The website is www.Teamfourstar.com

CmdrRenegade

Quote from: Wyrd on January 31, 2011, 06:11:49 PM
Lol! I don't even think Renegade cares anymore. :P

This should just be changed to the Anime and Manga Fan thread, lol

Quite the contrary.  I've been watching this thread for more recommendations.  The more I see and read about, the more I want to see and read.
"Every creative act is open war against The Way It Is."-Tycho Brahe of Penny Arcade

I'm CmdrRenegade and these are my Ons and Offs and Apologies and Abcenses on Elliquiy.

Wolfy

Quote from: freakula86 on January 31, 2011, 11:01:57 PM
I didn't know and I haven't seen anything around so huh...I just wanted to be on the safe side lol..my bad.

In that case..The website is www.Teamfourstar.com

Please...we quote Teamfourstar and Little Kuriboh around here a lot.

Also Renegade...Star Driver. Seriously...you can't go wrong! o3o

And along with that, Gurren Lagann, if anyone hasn't already suggested it.

Oh, and Kore wa Zombie Desu ka as well. :D

GGZeppelli

Just gave my friend a big list of stuff he should watch so I'll just post it, ones in old are my favorite and the best series ever in my opinion, I'll explain in more detail about the series if you ask, not doin' it automatically cuz dere so many D::

Level E (current series)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni/Kai/Rei
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
...Any Gundam you haven’t seen besides the SEED and Wing series'
Welcome to the NHK!
Shin Mazinger
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (super duper long, but supposed to be fantastic)
Combat Mecha Xabungle (subs aren’t quite finished yet, but they’re still going)
Bokurano
Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Manga:
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (my favorite manga, fourth part has a terrible scanlation but it’s getting redone; you can get the gist of it tho’)
Kamen Rider Spirits (second favorite manga)
Welcome to the NHK! (manga’s fairly different from the anime)
Stone Ocean (another part of JJBA)
Steel Ball Run (same as above)
Kinnikuman (crazy wrestling manga)
Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman Nisei (sequel to Kinnikuman)
20th Century Boys (by the same guy as Monster, being released in the US, but I don’t like some of their translation choices, but it's sooooo gooood)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (being released in the US)
Dorohedoro (being released in the US)
Bokurano (being released in the US, pretty different from the anime I think)

Manga: Vinland Saga (VIKIIIINGS)
MONSTER (SO GOOOOOOD)
Pluto (by Monster guy)
20th Century boys (don't remember if I said this one)
Billy Bat (his latest work)
Manga: Franken Fran (bloody)

Animu:
Transformers Galaxy Force (sweet voice acting)
GaoGaiGar (so awesome) (so manly, giant robots, so awesome)
GaoGaiGar Final
Anything out of the Brave Series basically.

All I can remember, you might not like all of them, my suggestions are tailored to what me and my friend like (IE: Robots and ACTION)

Wolfy

Quote from: GGZeppelli on February 01, 2011, 08:39:44 PM
Just gave my friend a big list of stuff he should watch so I'll just post it, ones in old are my favorite and the best series ever in my opinion, I'll explain in more detail about the series if you ask, not doin' it automatically cuz dere so many D::

Level E (current series)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni/Kai/Rei
Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
...Any Gundam you haven’t seen besides the SEED and Wing series'
Welcome to the NHK!
Shin Mazinger
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (super duper long, but supposed to be fantastic)
Combat Mecha Xabungle (subs aren’t quite finished yet, but they’re still going)
Bokurano
Kore wa Zombie desu ka?

Manga:
JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (my favorite manga, fourth part has a terrible scanlation but it’s getting redone; you can get the gist of it tho’)
Kamen Rider Spirits (second favorite manga)
Welcome to the NHK! (manga’s fairly different from the anime)
Stone Ocean (another part of JJBA)
Steel Ball Run (same as above)
Kinnikuman (crazy wrestling manga)
Ultimate Muscle/Kinnikuman Nisei (sequel to Kinnikuman)
20th Century Boys (by the same guy as Monster, being released in the US, but I don’t like some of their translation choices, but it's sooooo gooood)
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (being released in the US)
Dorohedoro (being released in the US)
Bokurano (being released in the US, pretty different from the anime I think)

Manga: Vinland Saga (VIKIIIINGS)
MONSTER (SO GOOOOOOD)
Pluto (by Monster guy)
20th Century boys (don't remember if I said this one)
Billy Bat (his latest work)
Manga: Franken Fran (bloody)

Animu:
Transformers Galaxy Force (sweet voice acting)
GaoGaiGar (so awesome) (so manly, giant robots, so awesome)
GaoGaiGar Final
Anything out of the Brave Series basically.

All I can remember, you might not like all of them, my suggestions are tailored to what me and my friend like (IE: Robots and ACTION)

You must watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Abridged...seriously...