Jokers Wild and Aces High (Wild Cards)

Started by Valerian, January 25, 2017, 10:27:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerian

Before George R.R. Martin was a household name, before anyone had ever heard of the Iron Throne, he started the Wild Cards series.  It's an alternate universe series where the Earth was infected by an alien virus shortly after World War II.  Designed to rewrite DNA, it was christened the Wild Card virus and it spread like wildfire.  Roughly 90% of those infected died.  Of the remaining ten percent, most became Jokers, with obvious physical changes that might or might not also bring extra abilities.  Some became Deuces, with very minor superpowers.  And a very few became Aces, with high level super abilities.  Then there are Nats, short for Naturals, those who haven't yet been infected or are immune.

The virus is still with us, and it's had a huge effect on the world.  Reality shows like American Hero feature Aces competing for fame and fortune.  The UN has teams of Aces to handle natural disasters and unrest involving other super-powered individuals.  The newest neighborhood in New York is Jokertown, where all those with the worst deformities tend to draw together -- and sometimes are forced to take the law into their own hands, since the police don't usually care about what happens in Jokertown.

This is the setting, and every time I read another installment in the series I think of what a good role-play world it would make.  Nothing would have to follow the books exactly so encyclopedic knowledge wouldn't be necessary; I think what might be best would be to feature original characters here with occasional guest appearances by characters from the books, perhaps.  Preferably there would be some sort of system, though it could be something light or possibly a simple homebrew.  Is there anyone out there who can answer the call to run such a game?   :D
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Kolbrandr

Not looking to run or any such, but figured you might find this helpful given your note of preferring a system: Green Ronin at one point adapted Wild Cards into an rpg using the Mutants and Masterminds system, stats for various characters and everything.

http://greenroninstore.com/products/wild-cards-pdf

There was also apparently a thing that statted up even more characters

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/83432/Wild-Cards-Aces--Jokers?src=also_purchased

Kolbrandr

Oh! Apparently a gurps version as well, from the late 80s, if that's any kind of useful to you.

Callie Del Noire

The GURPS version is amazingly awesome for building characters who are Aces and Jokers.

Valerian

Quote from: Kolbrandr on January 26, 2017, 02:54:50 PM
Oh! Apparently a gurps version as well, from the late 80s, if that's any kind of useful to you.

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 02, 2017, 09:47:04 PM
The GURPS version is amazingly awesome for building characters who are Aces and Jokers.

GURPS would certainly be excellent, as I know that system well.  If there's someone around willing to run it, of course.  ::)
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Sally Aces

I've never played GURPS, but love the Wild Card series sooooo much. So I'd play, but couldn't run it.

Kolbrandr

I find this is kind of the thing of system using supers games on ell. Loooots of people want to play, less so to run.

LordRod

I am already running two games so cannot run but would love to play. Gurps especially.
Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

Valerian

It wouldn't have to be GURPS (which is admittedly extremely detailed), but to me supers games seem to need some sort of system, even if it's just something basic.  I'm pretty comfortable with systems in general, but the idea of keeping all the possible storylines and players organized and moving along smoothly is slightly terrifying to me.  :P
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Sally Aces

I'm always happy to help with storyline things, but I'm not much into system mechanics. That being said, if folks wanted to use Mutants and Masterminds 2e, I have familiarity with that one, so could do something with it. One thing, in the Wild Card Universe drawing a Joker or an Ace is a key piece to the characters and is a decision that's 'out of their hands'. Do we want to just leave it as another part of character development or put in place some kind of random system for folks ending up Aces, Jokers, or Joker-Aces?

LordRod

No one should be FORCED to play a joker unless they want to try it random traveler style.

:p

I am pretty sure I'd want to do an ace, a deuce or some VERY specific jokers.

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

Kolbrandr

I'd be happy to play Wild Cards in M&M (and like I say, there are actual materials for doing so), but I'd prefer to build my character to preference honestly.

Valerian

It's been ages since I played M&M so I'd need a refresher, but I do have the book.

As far as choice of character type, I'd be willing to go random though I know that isn't for everyone.  I currently have ideas floating around in my head for all sorts of characters anyway, and it can be an interesting challenge to create a Joker or a Nat that can still be useful.  But as long as there's a good range of characters and not everyone is an Ace letting people choose shouldn't be a problem.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Sally Aces

With M&M I wouldn't make it Random... I

Thought 1: just might create packages that give upsides to choosing to create a Joker or a Joker Ace... The 'benefit to being an Ace, Normal or Deuce is that everyone would be made at PL 10, so no one' inconsequential... ooo maybe that's it

Or

Thought 2:
PL 5 - Normal
PL 6 - Deuce
PL 8 - Joker *caveat no 'helpful' powers at all but strangeness can be represented by power (so frogman has leaping, immunity drowning etc)
PL 10 - Ace/Joker Ace
Joker Ace gets a 'package' discount

Kolbrandr

QuoteThe 'benefit to being an Ace, Normal or Deuce is that everyone would be made at PL 10, so no one' inconsequential... ooo maybe that's it

I would recommend going with that. The latter two can always dip heavily into things like training, equipment, devices and what have you.

Sally Aces

Quote from: Kolbrandr on April 04, 2017, 09:58:21 AM
I would recommend going with that. The latter two can always dip heavily into things like training, equipment, devices and what have you.

Devil's advocate time, and some support for thought 2 in my edited post. Normals were not as powerful as Aces in the book, and anyone can make a Gadeteer Ace/Martial Artist Ace/etc which don't rely on powers. By having truly normal people be outclassed by Aces/Joker Aces it keeps the Superhero feel alive in the mechanics. If you want to make a cop, make them at PL 5. If you want a cop that dons a costume and enforces the law on those the Police Force can't handle normally, make her a PL 10 Ace so you outclass your peers on the Force.

Make sense? I'm just looking to give options that lead towards realizing the level of peril the books have in them.

Kolbrandr

It makes sense, sure, I'm just noting what might be cooler by people if everyone wants to feel of similar relevance.

LordRod

Sally Aces

I'm looking for the Wild Card PDF and found the Scare Sheets appendium to it.

A) I'm officially tossing my hat in the ring as a GM for this

B) I'm thinking of going with this PL option:

Ace-in-the-hoLe                            Power LeveL 6
This power level is sufficient to create full-fledged aces with fairly powerful abilities who are otherwise ordinary people. If the GM wants a “wild cards are just people with powers” type of game, this is a good place to start. A power level 6 ace can have damage capabilities to equal decent military hardware (more with some trade-offs), and be tough enough to withstand similar amounts of punishment. It’s also a good power level for joker-aces with a few tricks up their sleeves, like enhanced strength or the like.

Note that trade-offs become fairly common by this power level, as wild carders tend to have more in terms of damage and toughness than they do combat skill, unless they have particular training or talent in those areas.
Wild carders at this power level tend to focus on a particular power or ability, although it might have several different facets or effects in game terms. You can expect to spend 20 to 40 or so of your starting 90 power points on powers, which is a fair amount, particularly for effects not limited by power level, such as movement or sensory effects; a PL 6 ace can still have the power to teleport (or see) across the world or transform into a beam of light and fly through space, for example.

I personally liked the stories with more limited scope, even though Golden Boy's MacCathyism storyline is classic, and I feel this typifies the Aces/Jokers in the book. Capt'n Trips, Great and Powerful Turtle, Modular Man, Jubal etc can be made at this level and still be real, vulnerable people.

If people hate this I might be talked into PL 8

Kolbrandr

I'm not really interested in gaming at pl 6, but if everyone else is cool with that, feel free to go for it honestly, don't mind me.

I would note that the various people you're listing are either built on wayy more points, pl, or both though as far as what the game went with.

LordRod

I would maybe make it PL6 with PL7 or PL8 points since that way you can get limited power but lots of depth.

But that sounds awesome.  I can't not join this and since its my favorite genre, favorite setting in that genre and easiest system for me to use I'm definitely in.

WHAT I will make I have no idea.

I'm assuming all originals?

Valerian

Quote from: LordRod on April 04, 2017, 12:35:07 PM
I'm assuming all originals?

That was my original thought, yes, with possible guest shots from canon characters if it seems useful for the plot or just fun.  :)  But now I have to start figuring out how to turn some of these ideas into numbers!  I haven't played M&M in at least a couple of years and I never did get much practice with it, unfortunately.
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

LordRod

All good.

Because if we do play book characters I call Croyd ;)

Sally Aces

So, I made an OOC for the game so we can continue to discuss particulars for it. Know that most of what I wrote is off the cuff, so I'm open to tweaks to it. Please head over there if you're interested in being a part of this.

BTW, I got silly with the name, but kept in the tradition of card playing phrases :)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LordRod on April 04, 2017, 01:09:34 PM
All good.

Because if we do play book characters I call Croyd ;)

We skip you a Mickey you miss half the campaign

Callie Del Noire

Sally Aces

LordRod

Muse

Oh, hey.  Am I too late to get in on this? *peeks*
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sally Aces

Nope not at all, so far I've 3 people interested. The more, the merrier.

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Callie Del Noire

Sally Aces

Sorry to hear that, Callie. How can I help?