2nd Edition Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

Started by Valkos, November 04, 2005, 04:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valkos

I have been thinking of running a game, probably one of the many modules produced for TSR's Dungeons and Dragons game system.  I do not have a lot of experieince DMing, but the only way to learn is to do, so I wanted to see if anyone would be interested?

Alignments would be any good, races and classes as per the PHB.  All In-Game dice rolls would be made by me, either actually rolling the dice, or using a dice server like Irony.  The only 'dice' you would need to 'roll' are for character creation (using a dice server like Irony).  I'd need to look through the source books I have for 2nd Ed to see what would be allowed.

I would probably like to place it in one of the lighter boards, with sex as a secondary thing, not primary.  If this sounds like something you would be interested in, post here, pm me, or email me (if email, make sure you put somethingin the subject line that I recognize so it doesn't end up in my junk folder  ;D.
Hogwarts: Denora Crabin, Ebyn Farmer
Urban Arcana- Yancey Square: Zi, Chang  "Daisy"
Dark Side of the Senshi: Kaiou, Michiru
Elven Maiden vs. Human Barbarian: Unther/Telen'mar

*have AIM, YIM, ICQ, and MSN  feel free to say hi

ZK

Only thing I specialize in the 2nd Edition AD&D is Planescape. As for the regular format. I'm not good with it a lick.
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MasterJedi

i got a few campaign settings manuals lying around for DND 3.5 if you wanna take a lookie...most popular one right now is eberron followed by forgotten worlds
[tr][td]
Characters:
tPSH: Kale | tEoME: Johny
BSB: Damicus/Arblus | MCZ13: Galad
FtLoaP: Captain David[/td][td]Random Thought:
"What's the definition of a will? It's a dead giveaway...."[/td][/tr][/table]

ZK

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

MasterJedi

[tr][td]
Characters:

ZK

But, as I said before. The only AD&D I know is Planescape.

MasterJedi

planescape is only 2.0...but i think i have a link for a community 3,5 update to it on my laptop
[tr][td]
Characters:

Jefepato

I could go for it.  Personally I prefer 3e, but I know AD&D well enough to play.

ZK

I know, what Valkos wants to play is 2nd Edition AD&D, all I said was the only AD&D 2nd Edition game I'm familiar with is Planescape.

Natalie C. Barney

I was in the playtest groups for the 2nd Edition and I'd LOVE to play. Would you allow Priests from the Priests Handbook I wouldn't mind a Fighter/Priest (maybe serving the Philosophy of Good or a more Martial Diety) whose a Half-Orc. I don't like the PHB Cleric its more realistic to have specialized clergies with different aspects. Some are softer and some more war like and can use swords and the like. But get fewer spell spheres so balances out. I just don't like the Cleric as is are too broad in power.
"Why should a woman dress like the enemy."
Natalie Clifford Barney

D&D Shadows & Shades: ~Yeskarra, Bard~
Serenity-Tales of the Chasseur ~Saranii Jannu, Registered Companion~

Valkos

I too do not like the generic clerics as described in the PHB.  A cleric should have a dedicated god/godess, so I will accept any from Faiths and Avatars, Demihuman Deities, Powers and Pantheons, and Forgotten Realms Adventures.  I might also accept the deities listed in the 1st Edition Deities and Demigods, though Major and Minor spheres would need som work.  For spells, I would also accept those listed in Tome of Magic, and Spells and Magic (but not the Players' Options rules listed within).

I will try to have a complete list of the books I have and what I will accept tomorrow, hopefully by suppertime. 

Muse

Ooh!  Ooh!  Ooh!  Unless you mean to have more than one plot post a day, I'm in.  Sign me up for either an Forgoten Realms speciality priest or a Complete Book of Elves Bladesinger... 

Probably the first. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ZK

I could do Forgotten Realms, sadly I only have 3rd edition when it comes to D&D.

Valkos

Quote from: Dominatrix Zulo-Kitty on November 05, 2005, 09:59:24 AM
I could do Forgotten Realms, sadly I only have 3rd edition when it comes to D&D.

Well, I do not have electronic versions of the books, so if you wanted to play a spellcaster, that could be a problem.  However, if you were thinking of playing a non-spell caster, it shouldn't be a problem. 

Jefepato

I do have electronic versions of the books, if they should become necessary for someone.

ZK

I was replying to doing the Forgotten Realms game. As for AD&D, I have Planescape. It's basically AD&D, but with Planescape being the Campaign Setting.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Dominatrix Zulo-Kitty on November 05, 2005, 09:59:24 AM

Just as note I have a 3.5 Ed Forgotten Realms game but it is not big jump from 3.0 to 3.5, just some skill changes and change in some spells ;).

Muse

True, but we're speaking of Second Edition here, and that is a big leap.  ^_^ 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

ZK

2nd Edition AD&D is definately a large leap to 3.5 Edition D&D. Consider them two different games with similarities is all. AD&D is still, far most, one of the most complex pen and paper game out there.

Lirliel

"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

ZK

Yes, both Baldur's Gate games are 2nd Edition AD&D. Back then when Forgotten Realms was AD&D. As you can compair the two, there are simularities, but, still. There is a larger gap on things... And you know AD&D anything will in fact have three or four times more information in it then the D&D counterpart.

Also, curious as for mentioning Baldur's Gate. Ironically, just before coming back here to check the Forums I was playing Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn.

Lirliel

I've got the expansion to BG2 as well TOB ;)

So there not completly the same things.. then you would have to count me out, I only have the games to get reference from..
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

Natalie C. Barney

Well in many ways 2nd Edition is easier IMO. Anyway if I can if I qualify to do so be a Fighter/Priest (Philosophy of Good) thats a half-orc I'm in. Well a philosophy is just as good a source of power as a diety just I have to fight evil and promote good actively with this character, alignment will determine how that happens. I was thinking a pragmatic CG character, you know you can't save or stop all evil just pick the big quests and go after the most evil he or she can sort of character. Plus they should get along with all good faiths and beings as serving a philosophy is religious neutral.
Natalie Clifford Barney

Jefepato

Quote from: Natalie C. Barney on November 05, 2005, 05:17:20 PM
Well in many ways 2nd Edition is easier IMO.

I realize you're speaking only of your own opinion, but I'm curious as to what those ways are.

Natalie C. Barney

Well the biggest differences are the skills or Non-Weapon Proficiences are just a few major ones they kept it simpler over 3.0/3.5, I know for FIGHTERS and the like its easy too but when you get to Rogues it can be a bit much. The other is the FEAT system it can be rather complex in 2nd Edition you have a high dex and use the right weapons you can just fight two-handed and the like. A fighter doesn't have to worry about much more than later on specializing in a weapon if single classed. And if they wish to fight mounted taking Riding.

The basic combat system is not that hard just the rulebook could have been better written in areas.
Natalie Clifford Barney