What would you do if you won the lottery?

Started by Inkidu, February 08, 2011, 06:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

I was watching a new episode of Castle Monday and they had fun with one thing everyone supposedly thinks about. What would you do if you won a big (lets say for the sake of argument and after taxes, 100 million dollars American) jackpot in a lottery. NEW RULE: You can't say I'd invest it well, pay off my debts, and otherwise act like a responsible adult. Okay you can, but debt clearing and any other number of things along that line are understood to be done, all right?

I think I would buy myself a big old wooden sailing ship. It would have inboard motors and modernistic stuff of course. It would be big enough to sail on the ocean but small enough that I could do it alone in any given situation. Then I would buy sailing lessons and then sail the world. I've always liked doing it but we moved away from any worthwhile bodies of water before I was really old enough to learn.

To quote Capt. Jack Sparrow, "A ship isn't rudders and sails. That's what a ship needs. What a ship is, is freedom."
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Callie Del Noire

Hmm...

in my whimsical moods.. a lot of silly things. Take the lump sum and burn through it too quickly.

When I think about it serious?

Take the anuity, pay my taxes/bills up front and live off the interest (with a few large trusts for friends and their kids) and live fairly well off of a few mil a year.. after a few years of putting the large chunk of it aside I could most likely live off the interest quickly enough.

Shjade

Invest 90% for long-term dividends/interest.

Use the other 10 mil to buy four homes - nothing extravagant, but large enough to be comfortable and in convenient locations - for myself, my parents (living separately), and my sister; as much of it as needed to get my grandmother back on her feet financially and fix up her house; and get myself a car. I would wager that'd still leave a fair amount for day to day needs and small luxuries - computer upgrades, decoration, furniture, etc. - while the bulk sits around growing at a rate to maintain relative consistency. If I'm underestimating the costs here I could always invest a bit less - maybe make it 15/85 instead.

I dunno, I'm a pretty low-maintenance person, so as long as I could keep my current lifestyle without stressing and help out the immediate family with their financial troubles, everything else would just kinda go on whimsy within reason. I'd keep my current job, I think, just because I need something to do and, well, I like helping folks, but it'd be nice to not stress about finding more work (which I currently am attempting) because I wouldn't need more substantial income.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Oniya

I'm kind of with Shjade here.  I could pay off the house, and buy enough fabric and floss to do the walls in tapestries, should I choose.  Maybe I'd put on an addition - I've always wanted a turret room with windows on all sides.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Callie Del Noire

First thing.. call my VERY Successful brother to find a reliable accountant.

pandaandthelion

Well First Of I'd Do what Shjade Put 90% In a Long Term Investment Then use the other 10% and move closer to my boyfriend Buy A house and if need be Pay the mortage Off with whatever cash is in the long term investment, then I'd Buy a car, Lots of compters and Technology since I'm Kinda a nerd, Tv, Things for the house, Then i'd Probably Invest in Property's and live of whatever i get from the investments

Callie Del Noire

I'd build a house. One with all sorts of perks and gimmicks (cause I'm a geek.) there would be a massive computer setup, a work shop and a gamer room (complete with that legacy style table I saw once) for my RPGs.. most likely I'd move back to where I lived in Georgia with my gamer buds are.

Caeli

I'm going to be boring and serious. -_- First, I'd pay off all my student loans and pay back my parents. Then I'd pay for grad school tuition. Move in with my boyfriend in a small, cozy little place and get some furniture.

Then get a job and slowly use the rest on nice vacations, like cruises to Alaska or backpacking trips in Europe. :-)
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

Starlequin

Hm. 100,000,000? First, I'd take a moment to give a great big evil laugh at the universe's foolish foolishness for finally giving me the chance to become a supervillain. And then...I'd buy a moon laser. Or a space station. And maybe an army of flying sharks.  O8)
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Hemingway

100 million dollars. In the local currency, that's almost 600 million. That's more money than anyone should have.

I mean, even after buying all the things I wanted, and securing a comfortable future for myself and generations to come, I'd still have more money than I'd know what to do with. I could take 20% off the top, and never have to worry about money again in my life.

Which is probably what I'd do, and then try to write something half-decent and have it published. Then I'd get rid of the rest. Find worthy causes and give it all away. There is no scenario in which I will ever need that kind of money. It honestly would be a burden.

Caehlim

I'd split it with my immediate family and also with my best friend. Divided six ways it's still over 16 million dollars each. I'd invest most of my share of the money so that I can live off the dividends.

Although that would probably still give me more money than I would want. I don't want to live a rock-star lifestyle, just comfortably and with some good friends.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

Craz

The first thing I do? Visit each family member of mine and pay off their mortgages. Then take a month off work, travel across Europe. And then put 90% of what's left into a savings account. Then I'd rent myself an apartment, buy a car, and continue working on getting my degree.

I'd also probably splurge, buy a few hundred dollars worth of miniatures, complete my RPG library, and build myself a new gaming computer.

Oh, and that table. Because I want an ultimate gaming table. Being a host for RPGs is always such a joy for me, and I love it when I can do stuff for my group.

jouzinka

I can say many things about what I'd do, but I can say one thing I would NOT do. Tell anyone about it.

Like... ever.

I'd try to find ways how to gift some money to my family and closest friends, but telling anyone up front could create so much drama and so much bile I wouldn't be interested in it. And I'd probably certainly donate a considerable sum to the needy. And Veks. That would still leave us more than enough for this lifetime and the next.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Callie Del Noire

Craz.. you want a GAMING table.. this site has them.. with the price that you'd have to be a lotto winner.

http://www.geekchichq.com/Co_Store/The_Showroom/The_Showroom.html

Check out the sultan. 8 GRAND

Craz

I'd prefer the Emissary, personally. The Sultan's not my style.

BUT HOLY SHIT!!!! That is crazy!

Callie Del Noire

Yeah..the sultan is the table you can die knowing your great grandchildren will be bickering over (even if they aren't gamers). It's built to last.

I like the layered set for the map layout.

Vezaphire

Quit my job.  Sit down with my gaming books. Get at least six games prepped and ready, then go find three groups to GM for, and four to play in.  I'll be gaming every day, baby!

And some other more practical stuff, but that's no fun to talk about.

Sweet Trouble

Pay off all my bills, purchase a nice vehicle, and home. Invest a large portion of it and live off the interest as much as possible... Oh and several charties... St. Judes and Shrines to start with.

Phoenix

Pay back my mother-in-law who is a dear, beautiful woman who has helped us so much. I would help a couple of friends, but anonymously.

Then I would build a feng shui'd house for my family. I would build a greenhouse. I would homeschool my child with enki method.

Then I would create a not-for-profit facility with multiple little cottages to help single young mothers who wanted to parent their children but were being pressured to adopt out or abort them. This has been a dream of mine for a long time. I would love to have the money to make it happen.

Oh, and I would try to get published, as well. Right now I can't afford it.

xanthian

After getting myself out of debt, and all the other responsible and boring things mentioned before me, I'd go to college. Full time. For the rest of my life. I love learning, and that would be a great way to spend my life. Sure, I'd get a comfortable house, invest a lot of my money to make sure I get an income I can live on comfortably, but a large chunk of my money would go towards a 70-year college education. Anything left goes to charity.
It does't matter if you can't run faster than some other guy, as long as you can run faster than yourself 6 months ago.

I've been asked what it's like to have Bipolar Disorder. I always tell them, 'It has its ups and downs'.

phoenyx

lol my bf and I have talked about this a lot. first off we'd get a hold of his lawyer friend before even turning the ticket in. we'd have him one get all our back owed debts sorted, and a Family trust set up, then turn the ticket in. once that was done. each kid gets a mil or two intrest bearing trust account for college (or  settlements at 18, 21, and remaining at 25). buy about 100 acres of land. find a spot, get his arcetect buddy to design a house, and then have his boss build it. cars for both of us that aren't falling down peices of junk. five mil in an intrest bearing account so we can just live off the intrest. get my business Which Way actually up and running, set up a scholarship fund for Pagans that want to go to college.  help some close friends. maybe give my inlaws some, depends on how pissy my mother inlaw is at the timne, but i'd at the very least pay off their house and cars. donate to St. Jude, Montel's MS charity, and the one Trace Atkins was fronting on the Apprentice. hire a nanny and a tutor who don't mind traveling, cuz after all that's sorted, going on  a vaction with an unknown end date, to see all the places in the world we want. oh and buy a house in Ireland and Scotland, only cuz we can't decide which we actually like best.
♪ But my secrets are so safe
The only one who gets me ♪

O/O

Bxcrave

I would try to keep it a secret as well.  Probably wouldn't work out too well unless you just moved across the world.

I'd buy about 700 acres of the nicest most temperate land I could find and Jurassic Park fence it off.  Buy a few nice condos in a few nice cities and invest the rest.  Probably would make an adventure out of giving money to the poor rather than just giving it to a charity.  Get a squad together and see what we can accomplish.

Cheka Man

I'd try and keep it a secret. I'd spend a fifth on pleasure, a fifth on a house, a fifth on family members, a fifth would be saved and a fith on paying any debts/taxes plus any needed bribes.

TheLovelyMaid

I'd pull Borders out of their slump, or at least make them keep the one in my neighborhood. The rest would go into me hiring a personal trainer, moving out, paying my parents what they've paid for my education and whatever is left would be donated to the clean water initiative.

imaginativexguy

100 millions? HA

I'd buy/build a castle like house (with park) in the middle of the city and a mansion in the country, retrofit them to be zero-emission and fill them with geek gadgetry and secret passages (at least one made by a rotating library and a candle). I could go on creating details for these building forever but I think you got the idea. This will require a few millions.

Help family and friends by paying off mortgages/debts.

Invest the remaining sum in durable things possibly protected by finance storms and use profit to live and to finance initiatives that push the world in the direction I like (this includes hiring professional trolls to deface politicians/ecclsiastics hypocrisy).

Oh, and hire good engineers to build me the Iron Man armor.

Acid Lips

I would finally get married to Jason, that is the first. The second would be a trip to Japan with him as a honeymoon. After we had a few good months of honeymoon I would pay all my bills, set my mother, grandmother and sister up with new homes and car. Donate some of the money to my church leave 1/4 of the money in a account for my family to use when needed and move back to Japan, settle for a new home and live there without anymore problems.

Haruki

A cool 100-mil heh?

Family should and would come first for me.  I'd help them out with any outstanding loans or other debts.  I'd Invest a little in durable commodities (NOT stocks) that, while they fluctuate, would provide a healthy stream of income.

I'd donate a chunk to a worthwhile charity that does good for the world.

I'd then splurge some on myself.  Get all the rest of the RPGs and anime I'm still missing from over the years and get all caught up.  That would be AFTER I would move out of my current location and be somewhere more desirable to live....where, I am not sure yet.  A nice town-house (since it would just be me at this point in time) sounds good...I need no insanely huge mansion.
Always Seeking New Players!!
Want to write with me?  Please see the following below:
=====
My Introduction
O/Os & Lists -- Thread | Profile | Character Profiles | Canon Cravings
Request Threads - Haru's Canon Fodder (Anime, RPGs, etc) | Haru's Wholesome Needs
=====
Eep!! Who's Yanking Me Away by the Ponytail?! (A&As)

Morrowclaw

I'd buy and house and then furnish it with all the things I want and then I'd put the rest in a high interest savings account and watch it grow.
Partly for the hell of it
Solely out of boredom
Mostly for the story