In a world without law, what guides our morals? (interest check, EX)

Started by thebobmaster, June 13, 2010, 06:20:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebobmaster

If you are reading this, I'm assuming you were intrigued by the topic title. My idea is quite simple. BAsically, this would be in a world with absolutely no law enforcement. The only punishment for immorality is meted out by those offended by it. And the rumor of a large treasure has been revealed in the ruins of Stuttgart. What would you do for a chance at that prize?

That is fairly basic, but other than it being freeform, as I cannot think of it being otherwise, I don't have much else in mind. It would be humans, or human-like characters (anthros, etc.). I'll go into the characters more in-depth in a character topic after I get enough interest. If you are interested, please make sure to mention what limits you have, as this will easily have the potential to get quite violent quite easily.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Crovonovin

I'm definitely interested in the idea, but I have some questions.

Firstly, why has all law enforcement suddenly vanished?  Has some sort of global disaster occurred on a scale that governments have been utterly wiped out?  Have certain individuals found themselves lost or stranded in a strange environment?  Is this modern day or the future?  You mention ruins, so I presume that there are at least the remnants of a civilization in place. 

TheHangedOne

Sounds interesting. Will stayed tune to see what comes of this. Shihong asked all the questions I myself had.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Ironwolf85

techno barbarian could be fun to play...
hmmm maybe an anthro
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

thebobmaster

Quote from: Kate on June 13, 2010, 07:14:14 AM
what era ?

Modern, preferably.

Quote from: Shihong on June 13, 2010, 07:43:10 AM
I'm definitely interested in the idea, but I have some questions.

Firstly, why has all law enforcement suddenly vanished?  Has some sort of global disaster occurred on a scale that governments have been utterly wiped out?  Have certain individuals found themselves lost or stranded in a strange environment?  Is this modern day or the future?  You mention ruins, so I presume that there are at least the remnants of a civilization in place. 

Modern day, and my idea was basically an alternate earth where law enforcement hasn't died out...but never came about in the first place. Buildings were still put up, but vandalism was enabled easily. Societies were still created, but the need for consensual sex was not necessary. So the ruins aren't from any disaster, but from a lack of upkeep due to few people caring enough to maintain them. And any government that exists is so corrupt it might as well be a total anarchy.

And techno...hmm...all right, not modern setting. This be either steampunk or cyberpunk (the latter mostly because of a webcomic I'm hooked on called Last Res0rt. If you like cyberpunk and anthros, I suggest you peruse it.)

Ironwolf85

hmmm...
there'd always be some form of law enforcement... as long as someone tries to say "I'm in charge" and tries enforce it. though maybe the peacekeepers are far too underfunded and crippled with internal battles to do much but show up if entire city blocks start burning
hmm... cyberpunk sounds good
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

thebobmaster

Quote from: Ironwolf85 on June 13, 2010, 01:12:09 PM
hmmm...
there'd always be some form of law enforcement... as long as someone tries to say "I'm in charge" and tries enforce it. though maybe the peacekeepers are far too underfunded and crippled with internal battles to do much but show up if entire city blocks start burning
hmm... cyberpunk sounds good

That was the general idea I had. I didn't mean literally not one person who maintained law and order, but any organization being mostly ineffectual.

Ironwolf85

I'm going to do a techno barbarian
might go with an equine anthro I've been wanting to try one lately

Ex68471

Experiments 68469, 68470, and 68472 were perfect successes.
I am Experiment 68471, the catastrophic failure!

My Ons and Offs. Still a work in progress!

Attention: Everybody
I have horribly unreliable Internet. If I am on and suddenly am not, that is the most likely reason. Sorry! :D

LIAR

Sounds very Borderlands-esque! Keeping an eye on the thread to see if anything of interest develops.

thebobmaster

I've actually not played Borderlands, so any similarity to that game is pure coincidence.

elfguy

----

thebobmaster

Ironwolf85

think treasurehunt on an abandoned colony, only treashunters, prospectors, and bandits are left.
got a badass themesong too
The Borderlands Theme Song- Ain't No Rest For the Wicked

thebobmaster

Crovonovin

I think we should iron out a few more details before hopping ahead with a character.  Just saying that humanity has progressed this far without ever having formal law enforcement is all well and good, but I think it would help to think about exactly what that means so that we know the sort of world our characters are getting into. 

Obviously humanity, driven by anarchy, would not have progressed nearly so far technologically, with the sole possible exception being weaponry.  I imagine the world would not be divided up by nations or countries so much as "tribes" and kingdoms lead by those who have managed to manipulate enough people under their banner.  Governments would be fluid as various leaders are successively deposed and replaced by crueler and more conniving lords, until some lands simply devolve into out and out slavery or simply devour themselves as everything goes to hell and everyone desperately murders everyone else in an attempt to gain power. 

thebobmaster

Sounds about right. Might makes right. And as for it being cyberpunk, there would be technological advances, they would be geared to making more might, rather than improving the quality of life. After all, you develop mechanical arms, and they can't bleed to death from arm shots.

Ironwolf85

good and evil must be private things then.
aubert will be a hero then, more of a connian the barbarian type

thebobmaster

All right. If anyone has any further ideas for the RP, please post them in the OOC thread.

LIAR

Not much for the anthro theme so I shall withdraw here. I wish you guys the best of luck in a great game!

TheHangedOne

My itnerest has waned as well, though for different reasons. Good luck with the rp, though. :)
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Crovonovin

Quote from: Your Akina on June 14, 2010, 09:42:32 PM
Not much for the anthro theme so I shall withdraw here.

I too had forgotten the mention of this in the first post, and I must confess it's not quite my cup of tea either.  Perhaps changing the name of the title post will draw in more like-minded writers?  Best of luck!

Ironwolf85

actually she and I are the only ones playing anthro characters...

SolidSnake

Ok guys I'm in

I'm going to be Paul Phoenix.

And do we have to commit crimes? Can we try to enforce laws of our own? Surely there can't be no laws etc.