Why FFX ~Will~ has made me mad

Started by Aragem, March 22, 2014, 09:16:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aragem

I love Final Fantasy X.  It is my favorite game of the series.  I fell in love with Yuna, Tidus, and the other characters of Spira.  The music was superb and the best and the story drew me in and had me in tears by its ending.  Then FFX-2 game along and I was able to revisit Spira and see how the characters were living in the Eternal Calm.  And I was able to have Yuna and Tidus reunited in the good ending. 

Sadly, when I traded in my PS2 for a PS3 years ago, I was unable to visit Spira again for a long time.  Then Square Enix announced they were going to release a remastered edition of the games and I was thrilled and counted down the months, weeks, and days until release date.  I am very happy with the hd versions as the characters look better, the music wonderful, and Spira looking more beautiful than ever before. 

Then I listened to the audio drama FFX ~Will~ and then I saw red.

Let me be clear, I know these are imaginary characters and nonexistent world, however, I greatly disagreed with everything in Will and it seems like poorly written fanfiction to me.  There is no way I can accept it as canon.

Firstly, Sin is back and there is no sign that Square Enix is going to address this.  There has been "interest" expressed in there being a FFX-3, but no confirmation whatsoever!  They can throw this on us and leave dedicated fans hanging! 

Not with having Yuna and Tidus breaking up like they have!  I believe that they have something in the works to address this, but in the mean time, I can't help but be peeved at Square Enix for this. 

The story should have ended with Yuna and Tidus reuniting and then left alone.  If they are going to throw something else at our lead characters, then they shouldn't leave fans hanging.

Chris Brady

Sadly, it IS canon.  Because the lead writer of the project, has also worked on other FF games, and I believe he's currently writing, or has written, the script for FFXV.

On the flip side, I couldn't stand FFX.  Especially the voice acting.  Tidus was way too chipper, Lulu was nothing more than eyecandy wrapped around a bitch (As in the personality archetype), Waka was....  Laughable.  And Yuna?  Can we have a more passive sounding girl?  And then FFX-2 turned Yuna into a stereotypical teen bopper, right down to the 'grrlpower' crap that middle aged male Japanese writers tend to inflict on their characters...  Ick.

FFX was the first Final Fantasy in which I looked at the screen and asked myself what I was doing.  I wasn't having any fun.  So I put down the game and stopped.  Then I was more or less forced to watch my roommates play it, on my PS2.  I had to wait until they were done, so I could play a game I liked.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Florence

When did you play FFX?

I ask cause at the time it came out, I thought the voice acting was fantastic... mostly because there WAS voice acting.

Years later, playing it again, I realized its not quite as good as I remembered, but I still love it anyway. The gameplay was insanely satisfying and enjoyable, with an innovative leveling system; all wrapped up in a really nice story.

That said, not ALL the voice acting was bad. In fact, I'd wager to say none of it is THAT bad. Frankly, I don't even quite get the level of hate Tidus's voice actor's gotten. It may not be a stellar performance, but I felt he sufficiently carried the role. Yuna's voice actress fit the character, and her sort of... meek personality, accepting of her duty. I felt she sounded a lot stronger once the character started to become stronger.

Jecht was an awesome character with some pretty solid voice acting, I thought. Auron... Auron was probably the single coolest character in the entire game, maybe the entire franchise and DAMN his voice actor did a great job at giving him an awesome voice to match.

And Rikku was voiced by Tara Strong. There's a reason that woman has gotten about a bajillion voice acting gigs to date; she is damn good at her job xD

X-2 was pretty bleh, though, I agree. Got a few hours into it and just couldn't play it anymore. The gameplay was fine, but the atmosphere, tone, characters, everything just felt... cheap, compared to the epic, dramatic nature of the original. The story itself isn't bad, I just feel like they could have executed in a less... silly way.

Edit: Also, I don't get why people complain about the laughter scene; I know you didn't mention it, but a lot of people do. Even people who loved the game. Yes it was awkward, but it was my impression that the scene was SUPPOSED to be awkward. They were forcing themselves to loudly laugh in public. That would be awkward. Try doing it xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Chris Brady

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on March 23, 2014, 12:48:29 AM
When did you play FFX?
When it came out.  And it was bad then.  And yeah, Auron had the best lines, because his coat covered his mouth, which meant they didn't have to lip sync.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Florence

Just because you didn't like it doesn't make it bad. In my opinion it was one of the best games in the franchise to date.

Though the point about him lip-sinking is actually kind of funny, because I remember when Kingdom Hearts 2 came out, I remember that they actually redid the lip movements for the English version of the game, and its most obvious in a scene with Auron, because the camera pans right up to his mouth when he talks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUH35EH-Nm0
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Kane

I liked FFX even if it seems to get a lot of hate. It's my third favorite FF game (after FFIX and FFIIX)

I never played FFX-2 simply because I thought it had the only plausible ending to the story. FFX-2 seems a bit forced to me. In my mind FFX ends where FFX ends.

Though I've played every FF game until FFX-2. After that, I've only played FFXII. Somehow FFX-2 and FF MMORPG killed my interest in the series.

Aragem

I thought the english voice acting was pretty good, at least for the main cast.  I can't imagine any other voices for the characters.  But then, you have to realize that when the game came out, fully voice acted video games was sorta new.  It wasn't perfect, but it was very far from being bad. 

As for Final Fantasy X-2, the story did come across way too light hearted and girly compared to previous more dramatic installment.  But then, Spira was experiencing the Eternal Calm.  People were able to travel freely and advance without fear of being ripped apart by Sin or having a false religion hindering them. so it does take on a happier note.

Florence

Quote from: Kane on March 23, 2014, 06:23:41 AM
I liked FFX even if it seems to get a lot of hate. It's my third favorite FF game (after FFIX and FFIIX)

I never played FFX-2 simply because I thought it had the only plausible ending to the story. FFX-2 seems a bit forced to me. In my mind FFX ends where FFX ends.

Though I've played every FF game until FFX-2. After that, I've only played FFXII. Somehow FFX-2 and FF MMORPG killed my interest in the series.

... IIX is not a number and its going to kill me 'til I figure out what you meant? xD XII?

Inkidu

Quote from: Finn MacKenna on March 23, 2014, 09:08:38 AM
... IIX is not a number and its going to kill me 'til I figure out what you meant? xD XII?
Well, it is, but it's more commonly (and properly) denoted as VIII. (hee hee :P)

If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Mathim

The voice acting was nice for its era (although Tidus' voice grated horribly after 2 minutes and for the rest of the game) but it was a pain in the ass not being able skip scenes after you've already played through a significant portion of the game. I'm glad FFX-2 corrected this oversight, at least (as I enjoyed both the streamlined exploration and battle system much more as well). It was a great game to give a sequel to, but I always thought FFVII deserved one more (since whenever you involve time travel, there's tons of stuff left unanswered!) Anyway, I treat things like what you mentioned as extraneous, like Advent Children and Dirge of Cerberus. If it wasn't something known as Final Fantasy VII-2, then it's nothing to me, even if it's technically canon. The idea of sequels in general is normally not a good one, which is why it's always been great that the normal flow of the FF games is that none of them are interrelated in any way except for conventions like a Cid character, and things like summoning Bahamut, and of course CHOCOBOS!

But yeah, artistic integrity is truly dying. Condolences.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

Kane

Quote from: Inkidu on March 23, 2014, 09:13:09 AM
Well, it is, but it's more commonly (and properly) denoted as VIII. (hee hee :P)

IIX is a proper and valid representation of number 8. Back in the day the system wasn't exactly standardized, and both forms would appear.

VIII is more common, and it's nowadays the exclusive form for 8 in the modern standard. And VIII is also the name of the game, so obviously I made a mistake, but I thought I would point that out.

Florence

Quote from: Kane on March 25, 2014, 03:02:02 PM
IIX is a proper and valid representation of number 8. Back in the day the system wasn't exactly standardized, and both forms would appear.

VIII is more common, and it's nowadays the exclusive form for 8 in the modern standard. And VIII is also the name of the game, so obviously I made a mistake, but I thought I would point that out.

Shut up, you and your facts. xP