News:

Main Menu

Vampire Wars?

Started by Elayne, July 10, 2009, 11:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elayne

I have to admit I have the occassional weakness for vampire fiction (a hold over from my Anne Rice days.)

I went to see Twilight with my younger sisters and I was pretty let down.   But my sisters redeemed themselves by loaning me HBO's True Blood series which I quite enjoyed.

So, for any other Vampire enjoyers out there, True Blood or Twilight?

1) Human Heroine -  I find Bella annoying and Sookie endearing.  Point, True Blood.
2) Vampire Boyfriend - While I do like the older more brooding Vampire Bill, the hotness of Vampire Edward cannot be denied.  Point, Twilight.
3) Werewolf Non Boyfriend Love Interest - Jacob's a little to teen for me.  Sam's adorable.  And I love collies.  Point, True Blood.

Where do the rest of you stand?
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Jude

Neither?

Twilight treats vampires as metrosexuals and tru blood treats vampires and mysticism as an excuse for sexual exploration.  Both pieces of fiction really fail to explore anything deeper, which is sad considering the potential trublood had as social critique that was entirely wasted to construct a shallow drama with the same emotional force and philosophical triteness as a standard sitcom.

EDIT:  But if I had to choose, at least Bill's character in trublood is somewhat interesting.  He's really the only redeeming feature of the series for me as he's the vehicle for exploring vampiric attempts at conforming to mainstream society in any meaningful way.  The rest of the series, Sookie included, bores the hell outta me.  Though the extremist church groups angle dropped in from time to time is interesting.

Sho

Well...I haven't seen much of True Blood, but I'd go with Twilight from what I'd seen. For Edward. And Jasper. And Emmett and...well, as you can tell, it's really the boys that do it for me. Also, the spectacularly beautiful scenery helped, as well. :)

The Overlord

Quote from: RandomNumber on July 11, 2009, 12:19:31 AM
Neither?

Twilight treats vampires as metrosexuals

I knew it was Vampire Hills 90210...could tell just by the promo posters.  ::)

RubySlippers

Screw those there is only three true vampire fiction shows worth a damn:

1. Forever Knight (older tv series with all the key elements and wicked character development)

2. The Hunger (enough said a classic)

3. Angel/Buffy (enough said)

But I will hold out for New Moon maybe it will redeem Twilight for me and True Blood great concept but could have had far better execution.

ShrowdedPoet

I much perfer the books and refuse to see the movie.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Nadir

I'm worried about the Anita Blake TV movie that's in pre-production.

o.o

Paradox

Why is this in Politics and Religion?

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Nadir

*only just notices*

Owowowow, Para, ow, it hurts to laugh!

Paradox

Well to be fair, maybe Elayne worships Vampires >_>

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Elayne

Doesn't seem like it would fit in Elliquiy U.  :)

Besides, doesn't politics and religion include culture?
"Writing is like prostitution. First you do it for love, and then for a few close friends, and then for money." -Moliere

Paradox

It would fit a lot better in Off Topic or On Topic, but unless you feel like PMing Bliss and asking her to move it, it's not really a big deal. I just noticed it, and it made me wonder.

Oniya

You obviously haven't seen some of the fangirls in action...   ;)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Risa

I am very glad no one has chosen Twilight over True Blood...if so, I'd have to ask what was wrong with them.

I adore True Blood ^^ Twilight...not so much. Hehe.

OneOfAKiind

I liked the Twilight books for the most part. SParkly vampires are weird but in general i liked the story and i liked other aspects of the vampires.
True Blood is good but disappointing in some aspects. i agree with Ruby and say that it could be way better if the execution was better. the show tends to annoy me in general.

Buffy & Angel all the way.
And the Anita Blake novels rock. Eden, i did not know they were planning anything like that. I can only imagine the disappointment it will bring to my life.

but when it comes down to it, i prefer twilight over true blood, but neither above anything else.
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

Silk

For pure vampireness I'd go with non of the above and stake my claim into the Vampire: Masquerade series of tabletops and video games.

Oniya

So, would that include the short-lived 'Kindred: The Embraced' TV series?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tachi

Neither. I'm completely disappointed with these 'new' vampire movies and series. They're all boring and have a lame story line I can't even begin to bring myself to care about. The only ones I liked were part of the Anne Rice ones.

Zakharra

If it doesn;t have the downsides of being a vampire, it isn't worth watching. My daughter got Twilight the movie for Xmas and it's awful. There is no downsides to being a vampire. You suck blood, look pretty forever, live forever, and have a sparkle about you as you walk in daylight.

Seriously, the new books and shows are removing all the bad effects of being a vampire.

Serephino

I have not seen True Blood, though I have seen Twilight.  I liked Twilight except for the sparkle in the sunlight thing.  Other than that it was good.

Angel was a good series.  I used to watch it every day, though it got kind of crappy in the last season, which most series do.  I didn't watch Buffy the series, but I did see the movie.  It was okay.

Of course I'm a huge fan of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.  Too bad she became a born-again Christian.  Oh well....

Rhapsody

Quote from: Oniya on July 11, 2009, 06:23:29 PM
So, would that include the short-lived 'Kindred: The Embraced' TV series?

I thought I was the only one who watched that.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

Beguile's Mistress

I like True Blood best of all the current vampire book series and television shows or movies.  The vampires aren't turned into eye candy for teenage girls.  The story is more real.

OneOfAKiind

i think the 2nd season of true blood is way better than the 1st. i'm totally loving it. i can't wait for next week!
and when you think of me years down the line, I hope you can't find one good thing to say

Cold Heritage

Quote from: Rhapsody on July 16, 2009, 08:03:59 PM
I thought I was the only one who watched that.

I saw the episode where the ugly one tried to make himself look pretty.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.