Magic...It can get a guy killed. Dresdenverse/Modern fantasy Rp Idea.

Started by Cuchulainn, October 07, 2012, 10:59:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Grimm

Quote from: bubby on October 19, 2012, 02:16:42 AM
OMG COLD DAYS IS OUT NEXT MONTH!? *Fangirl squeal!*

Ha, yeah. Had a November 27th release date last I checked.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Anon315

Quote from: Anon315 on October 13, 2012, 01:13:01 AM
I have an overabundance of that hormone, and am a fan of the Dresden books (MONTH AND A HALF). I could work up a character, given time.

Quote from: bubby on October 19, 2012, 02:16:42 AM
OMG COLD DAYS IS OUT NEXT MONTH!? *Fangirl squeal!*

*notes his post which referenced this fact* Already have it pre-ordered.

helvorn

I'll probably Kindle it. I bought the hard copy of Ghost Story because Jim B came by our local B&N and I got it signed.

Anon315

Jealous. So Jealous. I've only seen Jim at a certain convention, and have yet to actually approach him because fan-boner would be embarassing.

helvorn

It was nice.  He spoke for a while and then was very gracious during the signing.

bubby

Cuchulainn

Hmm placement...I have no idea...don't know too much about the different sections of the site and so I shall defer to your judgement.

and a summary? Alright I'll give it a shot do you think I should post it at the start or just keep it here?

Summary has been relocated!

Caela

Personal opinion, you should put the summary at the beginning where folks who might be interested will see it right away instead of them having to read through everything up to this point.

HairyHeretic

Player Name: Hairyheretic
Character Description:
Character Name: Mikasi 'Michael' Shadow-on-the-face-of-the-moon
Nationality: American
Sexuality: Straight

Personality: Michael has found himself a somewhat unwilling fighter against the things that go bump in the night. He would much rather spend his time with a hot girl and a cold beer. His passanger though frequently has other ideas. Given the choice between taking on assorted gribblies on his terms, or waking up with a battered and bruised everything, he grumbles and does what he needs to.

History: Michael never knew his father, and as a child his mother made it clear that that man wasn't someone she cared to talk about. Growing up, he was teased by other children about being a 'half breed', half native American, and half .. something else. He learned how to fight when he had to, and when it made more sense to run.

A troubled child grew into a troubled young man, one whom brushed up against the law on countless occasions, but seemed to be lucky enough to avoid serious trouble ... which was a good thing, as he learned the fine arts of petty larceny. His few friends shook their heads, telling him that he would one day get himself in trouble that he couldn't talk, run or fight his way out of. He laughed at them, full of the arrogance of youth.

After he found the sword, his laughter stopped.

It wasn't his fault. I mean, the sword had to be the most expensive thing in that old guys house, and he wasn't going to need it after he'd died, right? Only he couldn't get rid of it. It was like other people couldn't even see it. He tried to dump it, but woke up with it sitting at the foot of his bed. Then the voices started. Well, one voice anyway. He figured he was going mad, right up to the point that something with far too many teeth and claws tried to eat his face.

He's still a little fuzzy on that part, but most people don't turn into minotaur like monsters, and bounce around like something out of a Hong Kong action flick. The next few weeks are still a blur, a haze of alcohol, camera flash memories and pain.

A chance run in with a member of Paranet (he saved the girl from some nasty or other, so she says) got him in touch with some people who really knew what the world was like, and how he'd fallen into the cracks too.

After his mother died, he found himself with a tattered photo and a pair of letters, a lead on the father he never knew. A name ... James Hennesy, and an address in London, England.

((Will add more later))
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Cuchulainn

That all seems fine but I have one very important question...is that a power ranger?

bubby

I will DEFINITELY get my char sheet done tomorrow. This I vow.

HairyHeretic

Quote from: cuchulainn on October 19, 2012, 03:25:13 PM
That all seems fine but I have one very important question...is that a power ranger?

Not that I'm aware of.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Cuchulainn

Hmm, I guess not, still something familiar about him.

Bubby hurry up! You've been at the off license for days! Don't make me punish you.

So yes, again, about the placement I really have no idea and I know I've said this about quite a few things but it really has to be up to you guys because this isn't for me to indulge my preferences its to tell a story, may indulge them a little if the opportunity arise but still..yea..what do you guys want?

HairyHeretic

I got the image off a random google search. I suppose it's possible he's an actor, but I couldn't honestly tell you one way or the other.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

bubby

Player Name: bubby
Character Name: The Leanansidhe
Nationality: Unseelie High Sidhe
Sexuality: Straight

Personality: Like most of the Unseelie (Winter) Court, she is cold and sometimes cruel in nature. Cunning and enchanting, she can alternate between caring and vicious at a moments notice. She can have a tendency to have a child-like glee during torture and or the death of an enemy.

History: The Leanansidhe is second only to Queen Mab herself, carrying out the Winter Queens orders, but holding immense Power in her own right. She has remained within the Never Never for an unknown period of time, but has recently gotten wind of an antiquity that must be watched.

HairyHeretic

Isn't she going to be a tad powerful compared to everyone else?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

bubby

Yes. She is.

But don't worry, I won't over play her I promise.

Roxy Rocket

Yeah, this is definitely one of those "not my speed" games.

Cuchulainn

Why does power matter? It's a story! Dresden Files where full of very powerful people and he still managed to live, thrive and survive.

What you mean Ms Roxy? Is it to do with the speed between posts? Are we too slow putting it together? Where you wanting something fast paced an action-y in a Michael Bayish way? One that was slow with the characters building up strong emotional ties as they coped with their traumatic life experiences by creating wonderful art, refusing to share it to the world because that's not why they made it? Do you want it to be able to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? I don't understand.

bubby

Quote from: cuchulainn on October 20, 2012, 03:41:38 PM
Why does power matter? It's a story! Dresden Files where full of very powerful people and he still managed to live, thrive and survive.

What you mean Ms Roxy? Is it to do with the speed between posts? Are we too slow putting it together? Where you wanting something fast paced an action-y in a Michael Bayish way? One that was slow with the characters building up strong emotional ties as they coped with their traumatic life experiences by creating wonderful art, refusing to share it to the world because that's not why they made it? Do you want it to be able to make the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs? I don't understand.

Cuchulain.. will you be my BFF?  ::) Even your OOC responses are so very entertaining.

helvorn

As long as the players aren't god'ing their characters around I'm ok with bubbly's character.  She is damn powerful but is limited by her Fae nature to a more limited path than mortals. 

HairyHeretic

Maybe I just have too many years behind the GMs screen, but I prefer to have a group be on roughly the same level. That way, everyone gets their chance to shine in the game. With one person significantly more powerful than the rest, they can overshadow the others, and leave them feel more the sidekicks than the heros.

Now, I don't mean to say that will happen here, but it's something to consider.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Roxy Rocket

Clarification: lack of structure, use of character bios, use of pictures, swarms of fairy godmothers.

(Okay, not swarms.)

I just think we're looking for different things.

Mister Grimm

Mmmm, I may sit on this for a while longer. It seems interesting, however I'm a little iffy on the idea of the Denarius. while I love them in the books, I'm pretty sure that they were all either already assigned to a Host or locked away. //shrugs

Doesn't mean that I'm still not interested, I just hit a bit of a character/muse block and I'm trying to work through it. I'll try to get a sheet up soon.
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

Cuchulainn

Hmm I totally posted a message here where did it go? A well.

Okay first order of business where do people wish for this to be placed, I assume it would need to be placed based on participating characters fetishes and the setting.

Now, Mr Hairy, I get where you are coming from but the way I see Bubby's character is the Genie in Aladdin, someone who has a lot of power but tends not to be to overt in using it. Someone who will approach various characters in the game when they are at their weakest or in need and attempt to trap them in a deal. Of course I could be reading Bubby's intentions wrong. Also if Bubby's character was such a problem by the same logic so would Anon's character be due to his
weakness compared to most of the other characters, no magical or fighting ability, just a simple doctor about to thrown viciously
into uncharted waters...here be monsters.

Fair enough Ms. Roxy, the bios are just so I can get a bit of information on the characters and make sure I can make it so they become involved, pictures well personally I prefer written descriptions to hard to find pictures to fit what I imagined but I defer to the people. As for the lack of structure? Definitely I hate to much structure, you make out a plan that this, then this, then that should happen and then your own characters arrive and end up doing the exact opposite.

As for the Denarians Mr Grimm, they probably are but I've decided to go slightly AU, might throw out someone wielding Fidelacchius as well. Don't want Sanya being lonely.