Old School D&D Campaign .. interest check

Started by shadowheart, August 10, 2008, 08:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadowheart

Note: the poll is closed, as four players have expressed interest.  AD&D, 1E has won, and will be the system used.  Keeping the other details open, as I may want to refer to them later.  Please navigate to the OOC thread to discuss the game further, and any one else who is interested in playing is more than welcome!

I have a campaign in mind, now I just want to know what everyone (or everyone interested) might like to play.  Brief summaries of each ruleset are below:

OD&D:  This is the original game as created by Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson.  It is primitive by almost any standard, but has a nostalgic appeal for many .. and those who wish to experience the game as Gary originally intended and wrote it should jump at this opportunity.  Note however, some rules from the four expansions and the medieval miniatures game Chainmail would be used, as would some houserules .. but as several D&D forums point out Mr Gygax was hardly a "play it my way or buy another game" sort of designer.  For those afraid of trying this ruleset due to its obscurity, no worries. RPGNow has the entire set for sale in cheap, PDF format http://www.rpgnow.com/index.php?filters=0_0_1340   and Paizo http://paizo.com/store/downloads/wizardsOfTheCoast/classicDAndD/rulebooks has Chainmail and the four expansions also in PDF format for a little less (though not the original ruleset).

shadowheart

Holmes Basic D&D and expansion: 

This is the Blue cover book, that covers 1st thru 3rd level, and Meepo's Companion rules http://meepodm.googlepages.com/holmes.pdf expanding the rules up to level 9, which should be more than sufficient for the campaign I have in mind.  Also available at RPGNow and Paizo, this rulebook may be in some people's collections here, and it is further relatively easy-playing and the rules are probably not 100% necessary to own.

shadowheart

1st Edition AD&D:

Does this edition need an explanation?  I would be using PHB, DMG, and MM, with some of MMII and FF thrown in as well.  Magic users, illusionists and clerics would be free to use spells from UA if found, but the races and classes from that book would most emphatically not be allowed.

shadowheart

BECMI AD&D:

Probably least old school of the group, this is the 1983 edition (the 1981 edition of B/X is not legally available for download, regrettably, so is not up for consideration).  Also available, as are the AD&D 1E books at both RPGNow and Paizo, players could again likely get by without owning the rulebooks.  I personally own the PDFs for Basic, Expert, and Companion, and strongly doubt that the game would go past that point.  I am not adverse to investing in the Master rules as well if it comes to that, but I don't really like the idea of the Immortals rules.  Once characters get to that point its time to retire them (or arguably long past!) and start fresh with new level 1 PCs  (in my opinon of course :) )

shadowheart

One last note.  The campaign is still in development so it will be a little while before it gets going, but at this stage I'd like to gauge interest.  The ruleset used will effect some of my planning. 

Regardless of the ruleset used, this is an old school game, so no non-combat proficiencies would be involved.  If a character was ever anything other than their current class, that is background material, and might allow an attribute check (late 1E/2E edition sure, but it is workable for all editions) to see if something can be done.  Also, looking to restrict classes to the basics, fighting man/woman (fighter in later editions), cleric, magic user, thief, and the sub-classes ranger, paladin, illusionist, and druid for certain rules-sets.  Races allowed would also depend on the rules-set, so bear that in mind when voting if you are interested in participating.

I am eventually looking to run about 4-8 players more or less, and there will be a mix of TSR modules, later modules produced in the current old-school renaissance, and original dungeon and wilderness adventures.  There will be no railroading, instead players will get to choose what path to pursue.  I would be looking at a leisurely posting pace, and am as interested in role playing (vs roll playing) so would expect good character backgrounds vs. min/max characters tweaked to be optimal combat/magic artillery/what have you.

WyzardWhately

I'm most likely in.  I have a love for the old-school D&D games, and I've been considering trying to convince someone here to run one.  I'm actually okay with any of those rules sets, I've played all of them at one point or another.  I'm likely the most partial to 1E, which I love for the flavor, although it has a few things in the system that require a little patchwork.  So, I'm very interested in any further details about your campaign that you'd like to share, especially how adult you expect the tone to be.

Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

RubySlippers

I wish I had a 1E rulebook around but I played this some, when not sure do a fighter!

Nothing wrong with double weapons specialization in a BIG weapon. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr  Half-orc warrioress with a huge weapon and armor and really really good with a big weapon. The easiest class to do in Old School without the rules.

If you want a set of rules everyone can use free try www.basicfantasy.org, they released the 2nd edition and its FREE. Sort of a blend of the old school which I love and some newer mechanics implimented in the d20 system. And lots of free optional rules. If not I vote for 1E.

WyzardWhately

If we're that far into it, I'm probably going to play a magic-user.  And go as sword-and-sorcery as I possibly can with it.  I will use Charm Person to represent my mesmeric powers over the princess, and bend her to my twisted will!  Etc., Etc. 
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

shadowheart

Well, being Elliquiy, adult situations would be a-ok, but not the specific focus of the game.

BFRPG is a good ruleset, but I'm leaning toward true old-school.  Still, I can certainly make that one work too.

and re: RubySlippers, Paizo sells a good PDF pf the PHB for $4.  It has all that you'd need, minus the weapon specializations you're referring to which are in UA.  Double specialization I can probably be convinced to allow, since it helps balance out fighters as levels go up.  Just don't ask to be a barbarian or cavalier :P

WyzardWhatley: magic users are fine, of course, and charm person is reasonable to have in a beginning spellbook. 

As in additional note, I would allow any alignment but prefer good, neutral, or at least lawful evil.  Chaotic neutral and evil tend to cause rifts in party cohesion ... which is an ok thing if the player in question's a good role-player. :) 

WyzardWhately

Quote from: shadowheart on August 10, 2008, 03:40:39 PM

WyzardWhatley: magic users are fine, of course, and charm person is reasonable to have in a beginning spellbook. 

I was really just tossing that out as an example.  I'm pretty flexible about what spells I can have fun with, so I'm not going to bitch if you go random with it.  Err, I'm just saying that's not like a *request* or anything. 

shadowheart

*gryns*

It's no problem, I am flexible ... besides right now I am gathering info and interest.  The campaign will happen if I can get enough interest, no fears there, just not ready just yet to roll up characters and such.

shadowheart

Added: Retro-Clone ruleset.   As RubySlippers mentioned above, Basic Fantasy RPG is free and is a close 'clone' of old school games using the OGL to create new content with old-school feel and have it be legal and OK by Wizards of the Coast.

BFRPG, Labyrinth Lord, OSRIC, are all retro-clones. 

RubySlippers

Well I own the BFRPG so that is a plus since I run the game locally, I even ordered the cute 2nd edition in hardbound to show my players the power I wield. mwhahahahahahaha

And there is plenty of extra material like a simple weapons specialization rule for straight up fighters.

OldSchoolGamer

First Edition all the way!

No wimpy limits on dice for fireballs and magic missiles!  YEAH BABY YEAH BABY!

All the way back to grammar school for me!  Eighties rock!   ;D

JadeCore

I'd be interested, assuming it gets run. I'd play any rule set.

shadowheart

Four players, three votes.  Need a couple more players before I'm certain that there will be enough.  Have a campaign almost entirely fleshed out, enough for the first few levels in any case, and starting small-scale so it can expand.

And, the idea works in any version of the rules.  I have a few Basic D&D, a few AD&D 1E modules, and a few written for retro-clones lined up, (ready to be converted to whatever ruleset is finally chosen) plus of course plenty of original ideas.  Again, players will have the choice of what to do, initially within the frame-work of being sent to the Marches of a kingdom that is seeing an increase in humanoid and bandit activity.  Demi-humans are from allied demi-human regions or live within that kingdom.  Plenty of scope for the players to branch out from there, and plenty of pre-printed material in case the party does something unexpected :)

WyzardWhately

Well, you can count me as totally stoked.  I'm certain we can find another player or two.  I hope you don't mind if I interrogate you some...  Are you basing your campaign setting on anything published, or just using published modules?  If it's not a published setting, what's the tone and milieu like?  What methods do you plan to use regarding character generation?  Starting level, generation and distribution of ability scores, determination of hit points? 

shadowheart

All good questions.

The setting is essentially original, though based on elements of campaigns published or implied in modules.

It's a pseudo-feudalistic setup, based upon a kingdom with its assorted Duchies, Baronies, Counties, etc.  The "enough of a railroad to get everyone together" if you will is based on the idea of increased raids along the Marches of the kingdom, whether from the King himself or from his various allies .. to account for Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, and of course humans that are not from the central Kingdom.

Again, the push of the campaign has to do with humanoid and bandit raids and attacks.  The kingdom has become somewhat ineffective militarily, and to compensate the adventurers (in the main party and others) are commissioned as Royal Agents to go in and see what can be done.

Happy to answer other questions if that doesn't answer any given questions anyone has.
Starting level is level 1 regardless, beginning with suitable low-level adventures and ramping up as characters gain experience.  Character creation is going to depend on the system, but most likely will be 4d6, drop lowest, in published ability order (dependent on edition, since there are some differences).  Regardless of system initial hit points will be maximum for the character at first level, and standard rolls thereafter.  I will likely use training rules in any case, so level increases are dependent upon both having the experience points, gold to train, and availability of a trainer.

As I said before, characters will be 'railroaded' into initial position, then from that starting-point are free to go where they will.  Noting, the expectation of the Royal Court to 'make some kind of difference' on the Marches. 

Going beyond this point, I am wanting good roleplay, since this is Elliquiy.  I'd like fairly developed characters, with of course the pride in advancement, sorrow in loss, that would go along with it.  Adult content isn't the focus, but I'd probably place it in NC-E to be safe.  Y'all know how Orcs are after all *heh*

WyzardWhately

Ah.  Thank you kindly.  I'm not wildly enthused about strictly in-order attribute generation...would you be willing to consider any of the intermediate steps between in-order and arrange-to-taste?  Maybe roll in order, then switch any two scores.  Something like that.

Well, it sounds cool anyway, so I'm in.

RubySlippers

It just comes down to me do I have the rules or not I don't own DnD 1E at all, I do own the BFRPG, so it all depends.

WyzardWhately

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 13, 2008, 02:41:59 PM
It just comes down to me do I have the rules or not I don't own DnD 1E at all, I do own the BFRPG, so it all depends.

If you know D&D at all, there isn't a serious amount of difference.  Depending on the class you play, you might not need the books.  A spellcaster would probably want them, a fighter or thief could get by without them.

I'm actually flexible about edition, I just like 1E best for the flavor.

shadowheart

I am flexible too honestly.  I prefer 1E myself, but have BFRPG.

As Wyzard says though, depends on your class and race .. I won't file-share (a personal thing) but I will help extensively with character generation.

Also, to Wyzard, I am flexible on that point too.  Roll stats straight down, with 4d6, dropping the lowest, and we'll see what we come up with .. if a stat or two needs to be swapped to get the character you want to play, that is fine.

Same goes for anyone else.  Will help with characters, and will be flexible with attribute rolling ... after all -this is supposed to be fun- and if it isn't what's the point? :)

RubySlippers

Well I played 1E and was thinking of buying the system ,I prefer it to 4th edition by far, I just don't have the books at this time. Fortunately your right unless I roll and get psionics or something its not that complicated really.

shadowheart

OMG!!!  did you say ....

Psionics??

Ruby, with all due respect, there is -no danger- of that!

I -despise- psionics!!  I don't use it, never will.

(wellll .. maybe some monsters might need the rules ;)  )  but .. no.

Nope.

Suppose I should've said that up-front but .. gah!!

RubySlippers

Well say what you want 1E had it all in one big package psionics, MEGA-SUPER bards and lots of subclasses some nice ones added in from fans in various source books and articles.