News:

Main Menu

Epic moments in games.

Started by Ironwolf85, September 15, 2011, 01:04:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwolf85

last time this was a successful board, so I'm starting it again. these can be from good video games, table top is prefered.
I don't want "oh oh this one time I shot this guy in fallout 3 and his head exploded! har de har"
I want somthing like this from rifts "The sun was blistering hot as Prince Kassad hunkered down with his men, the northern dessert played tricks on the serpentfolk's eyes, and the human troops had much more trouble with the heat. There they were riding south from the coast, phenox slavers. Kassad and his men ducked below the sands still as possable to mask their heat from the floating slave ships. once they had passed the red and black cobra gave the order, his men arose from the sand, leveling crude rockets at the unsuspecting slavers. Rockets streamed towards their targets homing in not on the magic used to keep them aloft but the nice warm fires used to propell the ships south. The pharoh's men never saw it coming, their ships exploding in a beautiful rain of fire and steel. There in the setting sun of the dessert Kassad, a snake man with a red and black cobra head, wrapped in camo uniform and white scarf, a silver ethopian cross around his neck, looked like a hero."
I'm going to write a bit more about Kassad later.
I want to hear about your epic characters, stories, moments of glory and shame!
Prudence, justice, temperance, courage, faith, hope, love...
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.
Civilization: the ability to put that psycho in prision for killing people.

tsc

Ahh, RP stories... most of mine are from the GM end, but there are tales to tell.

I remember Mechromancer, a friend's robot sorcerer from a Marvel Superheroes game.  He took it on himself to step into the shoes of someone else, a man who had become caught in a loop in time, freeing that poor soul who had been trapped for longer than the ages of the stars themselves... and condemning himself to an eternity of repeating that same loop.  Unlike the man, however, Mechromancer could wipe part of his memory on each repetition, and thus avoid the psychic horror the man he replaced had endured.

I remember the fabled band who sought the soul-shards of the demon lord R'thar, capturing them one by one to prevent them from being reassembled... only to find that one of their own number had been corrupted.  The warrior Gelfurth joined the shards that had been gathered and was possessed by R'thar's spirit.  In the end, it was cast out of him, but not before two of their number had fallen.

Most of all, though, I remember a campaign I ran that lasted more than ten years.  I left home to go to college in the course of it, with the result that only one player played throughout the entire campaign.  His character, a paladin named Sparren, became the center of the campaign, and at the end, I ran a final adventure just for him.  In it, the Apocalypse came.  The demon lords invaded the world, and as they were poised to win it, Demogorgon came to Sparren and offered him a bargain:  the world would be spared, but one innocent soul would be damned.  Sparren refused the bargain -- and Demogorgon applauded him. 

Then, he revealed to Sparren the true nature of the world he lived in -- that all souls within it were fragments of the Maker, and the Maker created universe after universe, lived life after life, winnowing out those parts of himself that contained evil... and that for each universe the Maker created, one soul was appointed to be the Tempter, to manage that winnowing.  To stand in that position, to test others for corruption without becoming corrupted oneself, required souls of extraordinary purity... and so, this universe was to pass, and Sparren would become the Tempter of the next one.

JimPooley

There's an xbox live game I played recently that I've fallen in love with, Bastion. The premise dosn't sound like much, you play 'The Kid' after the world has been destroyed by what is only described as the 'calamity'. The game plays out on floating islands, and throughout the entire game all your actions are narated by a gravily voiced man. The overall effect is amazing, and it has the best soundtrack I've ever heard in a game.

The epic bit comes at the end of the game, where you find this guy who betrayed you, and you can choose to either leave him, or drop all your weapons and carry him back with you. If you choose to help him, you have to walk all the way through enemy lines, carrying him over your shoulder, unable to fight back as they shoot at you. And then they slowly all stop, obviously amazed at your selflessness. I found it really moving.

www dot youtube dot com/watch?v=9TSpJkkm1vg

(Is there anyway you can embed videos?)
O/Os

Hi [you]

Avis habilis

Quote from: JimPooley on September 15, 2011, 01:25:39 PM
(Is there anyway you can embed videos?)

Just enter the URL of the clip & the forum software will process it automagically:

Bastion Ending | Take Zulf | Evacuation

Shjade

Man, pretty much all of Bastion qualifies.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Slaven

The fight with the silver dragons at the end of FF9 when Cid's fleet shows up..Best moment in any FF game ever.
Don't worry. That's not my breath on the back of your neck! >.>

Slaven's O/Os and some RP ideas!

JimPooley

Quote from: Avis habilis on September 15, 2011, 01:32:26 PM
Just enter the URL of the clip & the forum software will process it automagically:

Thanks for the tip :) I was trying to post it without [url][ /url] and it wouldn't let me, probably 'cause I'm unaccepted yet, to stop spam.
O/Os

Hi [you]

Ironwolf85

i said I'd post more on Prince Kassad, "the Red Prince" has become a bit of a fun character started for a Pathfinder game we called nexus, basicly anything and everything from across the multiverse could be dragged into this pocket plane.
The Red Prince came from a savage world, his snake-like people faced off with the Atlantian humans and Mordent elves, he eventually came to respect the slave forces he was assigned, after one of them saved his life he became an advocate for racial equality.
This got him posted on the frontlines by his father, being 77th in line for the throne doesn't exactly hold, much weight.
His willingness to forgo training in traditional magic in favor of martial skill, and ability to train his slave conscripts into a ruthless, loyal, and capable defence force. after the battle of Meltta his idea of a professional, multi-racial military force was gaining ground, he was on his way to see his father in Katapesh when he was wisked away to nexus, or any other world.
He never presented his plan for a new army, was written off as dead, his oldest sister inherited the throne and her inept policies and decadance lead to a decline that Katapesh never recovered from. Atlantians eventually crushed the serpant kingdoms straight out of the history books, before they themselves were destoryed and scattered by their Abolothic puppet masters.
in Rifts he emerged in ethopia and has since become one of the rebel leaders actively resisting the Phenox Pharoah using equipment from the US during the war on terror.
In Nexus he's become one of the wasteland adventuers, a liberator and protector, counterpoint to the Party's female chain demon.
Whatever world he ends up in, Kassad is a ruthless warlord with noble goals and brilliant intelligence, his people's immunity to mind affecting spells and poisons serves him well, as do the mental control spells he knows and feels no problem with using on weak willed foes
debate any other aspect of my faith these are the heavenly virtues. this flawed mortal is going to try to adhere to them.

Culture: the ability to carve an intricate and beautiful bowl from the skull of a fallen enemy.

Inkidu

Okay, so I just played my first game of DnD this afternoon. I was a level 2 human fighter. I was natural good and my brother was playing a lawful good paladin. There was the mage (I and this town don't like mages), so the paladin and I and our other friend (who was also DMing. I don't care as long as he roles his character's stuff out front, plus it was my first game) and we were breaking into his house to confront and arrest him (paladin speak for it). Well. I climbed in the second story window (because I'm not a tanking warrior I'm a dodgy kind). Well, we have to go downstairs. I try to do it quietly and fail. The guard is alerted and sees me.

DM: What do you do?
Me:... .... ... I jump down the stairs and tackle him!
DM: Really? Okay make a jump check.
Me: 20 (Unnatural)
DM: Long action-y explanation but it basically looks like George Cloony from The Men Who Stare at Goats.
Me: Hell yeah!
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sain

I think it was a recent DnD session where one of us, a lvl 3 sawsbuckler was being the hero (might add that the player himself was afk during the whole ordeal).

An evil cleric who had been raising undead in name of the Devourer, keeping everyone on their toes was on her way sailing away to safety, some twenty or so feet from the shore. The sawsbucklers comrades, warforged fighter, a mysterious human, kobolt warlock and a human crusader had given up hope, just shooting the boat with anything to at least give them a something to remember. Cleric began summoning a powerful opponent for the sawsbuckler and his friends, to keep them busy. Young sawsbuckler however thought differently, with one leap he reached the boat, landing safely on one of the armed guards of the evil cleric. In the same instant he landed the man swung his rapier with uncanny accuracy, masterfully severing arteries of the cleric. She fell down in one hit.

The guy rolled natural 20 on jump check and after that maximum damage from a successful critical hit, essentially one hitting an enemy we were supposed to have tough time dealing with 5v1 due to her powerful magics that in this case would have allowed her to escape.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

TheStampede

Both of these were d&d 3.5 games.

This one was more epic on my friends part. At the time the party consisted of a orc cleric of Grumsh, a gnome sorcerer, a furry assasin (can't remember actually race name, but discription made it sound like a fox furry), a human paladin, a halfling rouge, a human cleric of Pelor, and me, a dwarf fighter.

DM: You see 8 chimera skeletons coming towards you in a straight line.
Cleric (Grumsh): There skeletons! They must be bludgeoned to death. *note, rounds hadn't actually started yet*
Me: I drop my axes (which I dual-weilded) and reach into my back of holding. I pull out my war hammar, the head of which crackles with electricity (I had kept this weapon concealed until this point). I swing at the first ones head. *rolled a natural 20 (auto-hit, but no critical damage) and roll max damage*
DM: That one looks pretty messed up.
Sorcerer: I cast Explosive Cascade, with the point of origin being directly infront of the dwarf. *rolls just short of max damage on 10d6*
DM: All but the last on is dead, and that one is in pretty bad shape.
Cleric (Grumsh): I cast Cure Light Wounds?
DM: It dies.

This one happened in another campaigne, with a lot of the same players. I can't remember what everyone was. I was a leonal cleric of Obad-hai. The person that played the sorc in the above campaign was playing a shadow dancer. Also, that player had a character die a few weeks before after being attacks by multiple shocker lizards (CR2 creature, but they can combine their attacks). Another friend was playing a warforged wizard.

DM: You all all awoken in the middle of the night from being electricuted.
*we all run out of the large tent we were in*
DM: The tent is then vaporized. Everyone with low-light and dark vision see about 20 shocker lizards
Shadow Dancer (OOC): My character runs as fast as he can away from the demon lizards!!!
DM: Will save to not piss yourself.
Shadow Dancer (OOC): nat 1
DM: You poop and piss you pants
Me: I caste Flame Strike. *starts rolling damage. After the first three of the fifteen d6s...*
DM: Stop. You completely dissintigrate the lizards.
Wizard : How much gold do we all have?
Me: *looks over everyones character sheets and does some quick math* About 350,000 GP a piece.
Wizard: You realize a nice inn cost 2gp per person per night. We're literally ten minutes from town. Why didn't we just stay their in the first place.
Me: Just cast Rope Trick so we can all climb inside and go back to sleep.
"If you stay right where you are, then people will eventually come to you."

Hemingway

I have a Warhammer 40K story to share. It concerns a squad of Dark Eldar Incubi - heavily armored ( by Dark Eldar standards ) melee fighters. And also some regular Dark Eldar warriors, but those only get a moment toward the end.

It was a game of ... I forget what it's called. There are two points that need to be held, one on each side of the map. Each player starts by one of these. I sent my Incubi to contest the other point. The enemy ( also Dark Eldar ), meanwhile, was sending Wyches ( un-armored melee fighters with puny knives ), to capture my point. In the middle of a ruin, my 10 Incubi charged the 15 Wyches, and ... tore them to shreds in a single turn.

Now, Dark Eldar units get more powerful as they destroy enemy units. I believe the first bonus they get is Feel No Pain, which makes already hard to kill units even harder to kill. All the same, my squad consolidated and got into cover. At that point, they were within range of the enemy warriors holding the enemy point, and an enemy APC loaded with a second squad of warriors was dangerously close. In the enemy's turn, the warriors by the point got to fire on my Incubi, succeeding in killing, I believe, one of my guys.

Next turn, my guys run across open ground, exposed to both enemy squads and their APC. In the following turn of my opponent, they all fired on them. Something like 20 warriors, and an APC with a heavy cannon all fired on my Incubi, and not a single one died. Many laughs were had at that. Mostly by me. Not so much by my opponent.

On my next turn, my Incubi charged the enemy warriors holding the point. To absolutely nobody's surprise, the warriors were butchered.

Now, the Incubi being elite units, they can't actually capture the point. I was not holding my point, either, having moved my warriors away from it to cover the other approach. All my opponent had to do was get his APC to my point, unload the warriors, and he'd still win. And he tried. My warriors had an anti-tank weapon, though, so he couldn't just move toward my point and hope for the best. Instead, he tried to tank shock them - to run them down. There's a rule, however, I believe called Death Or Glory, where your unit gets a single shot at the charging vehicle. I forget how exactly it works, but long story short, my warrior with an anti-tank weapon shoots down the enemy APC, which crashed and burned and killed everyone inside. I was later told they would actually not have all died, but that the guy I was playing with didn't know the rules all that well. Still. They would've died. It was just a lot cooler the way it happened.

Ironwolf85

my first warhammer 40k game.
space marines VS tyrannids, low cost battle, but as the preview at the shop nobody had beaten the owner at it yet, which made like 3-4 week long winning streak.
and here comes me, a tourist totally new to warhammer 40k another person to play and potentally beat, he was nice and taught me the rules, but tried to be totally ruthless in game.

the battle went down like this.
Two squads of Ultra-marines facing a swarm of tyrannids. the bugs are charging my marines head on, the small swarm little things (don't know what they are) were hit by a frag misle and pleanty of heavy bolter fire, but at the same time the larger melee oriented ones charged the other squad. these things looked positively deadly, and the shop manager explained I should have concentrated on the bigger ones, now the ultra-marines were going to die.
meanwhile on the battlefield below the marines are facing being slaughtered the enemy scouts able to give away their brother's positions, the young brother captian is faced with a choice, let his brothers fight it out, or fire on them to save them....

"I charge"
"wha?"
"yeah those guys are scary and tough... but their's only seven of them... do I have a chance of hitting friends in melee?"
"no..."
"then they charge" (moves models)
after the marines charged down the hill with nothing but combat knives, they completely overwhelm the tyrannid soldiers who try to withdraw to get back togeather with the swarm as it reforms (having repassed morale so somthing)
as they run away a single marine with a Launcher covered in Xeno blood stands up and nukes them all with a frag rocket.
no battle brothers were lost

Anyalyss

I was a cute little teenager when I played a game called Afterlife, from LucasArts, so young in fact that the first days I had to play on my dad's/mother's lap because I was a bit shaken with the concept of life, death and after-life *giggles* But after that it was the most fun little game that I ever played.

The game is about being a demiurge with the job of creating a functional Heaven and hell, housing souls, building structures and seeing how they evolve and all that you know, it's very original.

It's also a bit of a complicated game to master and when I finally unlocked the Omnibolges (as they are known in Hell) and Love Domes (as they are known in Heaven) it was a huge yay! (I jumped from my chair :P )for me. For those that have not played, this buildings are like mini-heavens/hells and allow you to house vast numbers of souls with no maintenance, it also means that you beat the game because you know this kind of games can go on forever if you want.

That's the one I remember right now :-)

Oh! this is the introduction to the game, it's very funny! There are more videos on youtube, some of them contain the tutorials of the game and those show the two funny assistants (and angel and a demon) that help you through the game, they're pretty nice too :-)

Afterlife Introduction
O&O's    A&A's

NotoriusBEN

omg! I remember that game! its like simcity, but afterlife edition :P
I liked all the ancronyms and business talk between the angel and devil too.
And the heavens/hells were based on the 7 virtues and 7 sins and they had quite the poetic turn to them too.
A building linked to rage and murder made the souls strap on telepathic hats so the demons could use them like street fighter/mortal combat avatars.

one for jealousy had people walking in lines. if they just stayed in line, they'd get to heaven in a year. but they were jealous of those further ahead and so they'd cut lines, thus cutting *behind* their current position and being stuck in line for eternity.

my epic game moment comes from playing paranoia. I've GM'ed a few games of it and I must be doing good since my players keep asking for more. I had a couple players get after each other on who was dirty mutant commie traitor.
Player A: Only a mutant commie traitor would question the wisdom of almighty friend computer.
Player B: Almighty? It sounds as if you were brainwashed by those CCCP's whom are also traitors.
Player A: No, I just give friend computer the due respect a friend deserves.
Player C: Bullsh*t, I call your friendship to friend computer into question.
Player A: How *dare* you! Nobody calls my love for friend computer into question. I FUCKING LOVE FRIEND COMPUTER!
Player D: *rolls Chutzpah, scores natural 2* Isnt cursing a sign of dirty mutant traitors, Friend Computer?

GM (me):Indeed, Jason-R-1 and Don-R-2 are to report to the Stutgart Happy FunTime Reeducation Center for summary lobotimizations. Everyone please welcome Jason-R-2 and Don-R-3 to the team.
*Everyone busts out laughing*

Player A: WHAT!?
Player C: Bullshit, Doug, Im gonna murder you in your sleep.

GM (me):Don-R-3 report to Stutgart Happy FunTime Reeducation Center for LazerSud Mouth Cleaning. Please welcome Don-R-4 to the team.
*more laughing*

Player C:... I will get you, Doug.

Anyalyss

Quote from: NotoriusBEN on September 30, 2011, 05:26:52 PM
omg! I remember that game! its like simcity, but afterlife edition :P
I liked all the ancronyms and business talk between the angel and devil too.
And the heavens/hells were based on the 7 virtues and 7 sins and they had quite the poetic turn to them too.
A building linked to rage and murder made the souls strap on telepathic hats so the demons could use them like street fighter/mortal combat avatars.

one for jealousy had people walking in lines. if they just stayed in line, they'd get to heaven in a year. but they were jealous of those further ahead and so they'd cut lines, thus cutting *behind* their current position and being stuck in line for eternity.

Yeah! *giggles* I spent so much time reading each description for every building, they all had some funny notes! It's not that it's hard to make me giggle but I remember very fun times from this game, aww, cute memories :-)
O&O's    A&A's

Inkidu

Guys! I just DMed my first D&D game yesterday. Not to toot my own horn (much), but I think I did pretty awesome.

So my campaign (Long Reach) details the exploits of a single company (four people) of a mercenary organization. An airship (that's how I roll) that was transporting a portion of the merc groups soldiers was attacked by another airship in mid-flight.

Me: You see the other ship. It is above and away from you and it has fired large harpoons in the deck of your ship. A group of halflings, elves, and humans are sliding down the ropes ready to board your vessel.

The group warlock steps up to the first hafling and eldritch blasts him through the railing of the ship.
Pitched fighting.
The boarders are throwing oil flasks to try and burn the ship down. The warlock decides to light the oil for them.
Me: Erp!
The bard is doing a good job holding his own and the ranger is doing pretty poorly. He uses a two-bladed sword but everyone's level one right now. Still he manages to crit a halfling so he Darth Mauls him into about six separate pieces.
The Lt. (the only NPC) is just getting crap for dice rolls. Ended up hitting one person for one damage.

All the while the other airship is firing off huge balliste bolts at the party's ship. Then a trained giant eagle (Who between you and me almost got minced trying to land between the props of the airship.) comes in. (I know it's level three. I nerfed it under the idea that it couldn't take off again and was stuck between the prop masts. It was really there just to destroy the props.)

So eventually the front props are gone, the ship has started to pitch forward and crash. Everyone makes balance checks and most get to hold onto ropes. The Lt. and the Ranger (called Drift Wardens in my game) fail and slide some, then the ranger succeeds and the Lt. fails again. No reflex save for the rangers hand, or the bards when she slides farther down the ship. The bard fails the dex catch check, but she finally manages to reflex save and catch his leg.

This is where things went psychotic.

Bard (Chaotic Neutral): Get off me, you fat bitch! (player: I kick her off)
Everyone else: What?
Me: Take a -4 for untrained unarmed attack. He hits for like five non-lethal. Lt. still makes the fortitude save an stays attacked.
Bard: Can I yank her off?
Me: Yeah but she gets an opposed check, and also make a dex check to make sure you don't lose your grip while grappling. Both fail. Reflex saves. Both score so high I decide they both have a firm hold on different places of the same rope.

I thought everything was fixed. I was wrong!

Bard: Where am I on the rope?
Me: Well you rolled higher so you're above the Lt.
Bard: I pull out my rapier and hack at the rope.
Everyone else: What!
Me: Well she has a crossbow and if you don't cut through that rope in one swing (DC 15) she's going to shoot you at point blank with feat.
Other players finally get him to calm the hell down.

Before that though there was the warlock. He was by the only rope still connecting ships and this was his plan:

Warlock: I grab hold and cut the rope. *rolls* 20!
Me: Make a (I don't really remember) climb or use rope check.
Warlock: *rolls* 1. D:
You slip and fall from the rope and it whips around knocking you back into the stair railing. Make a reflex save.
Warlock: 20. -___-
Me: You grab the rail like a boss.
Warlock: *looks at his die accusingly*

See? Sometimes God doesn't want the party to split. :D
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Avis habilis

Nearly 20 years ago now, a Vampire: the Masquerade game. A ferocious vampire killer, himself a vampire, is running amok in the city, destroying everyone in his path. Our coterie has been battling him all night. Finally we catch up to him in some tall office building or other. In short order we're all a steaming pile of maimed vamp except for the Assamite. He & the killer go mano a mano on the roof for what seems like forever.

Finally the Assamite too looks like he's on his way out. He uses the last gasp of his strength ... to grab a fire hose from a nearby reel & leap off the roof.

"Runnin' away, are you? You yellow bastard!" yells the killer.

The Assamite, however, has been checking his watch & knows what time it is. As he disappears into the shadow of the building, then crashes through a window several floors below, the sun comes over the horizon.

*Foomph!* Problem solved.

Sel Nar

From a video game, namely the recently-released Dark Souls

The undead prison you start in has a massive demonic/draconic warden that roams the halls, searching for escapees. It's a thirty-foot tall hulking brute made up primarily of muscle, lard, tattered wings, and a 15-foot long, 2-ton mace whose head is the size of you.

The first time you encounter it, you are given the choice of running for your life, or killing it, when all you have as a weapon is the shattered hilt of a sword. IF you do kill it, you get its mace, appropriately resized to your height and weight.

However, if you choose to run your path brings you around the rampart of the prison to above the Warden. There, you can leap down from above, and, much like a bladed meteorite, lead with your sword, axe, or knife to lay open the warden's spine in one blow, neatly amputating half its health. Words alone cannot do justice to the visceal satisfaction of leaping from a height that promises severe injury, and, instead of being splattered, landing atop a hulking beast, stabbing it in the back of the neck, before hauling downwards with all your weight, through its thick hide, as its flailing movement lets you drag yourself down its back, pulling your weapon with you until you kick off from the stub of its tail, leaping away from the wounded and enraged beast, and allowing you to fight it on more-even terms.

Chris Brady

Last week's D&D 4e Essentials game.

Players consist of a Thief, War Priest and a Knight.  They spent the last three sessions scaling up a mage's tower (Which I had modeled World of Warcraft's Karazhan instance, man I miss it so) and they were nearing the top, to confront the Wizard who owned it.  Now, they're on a tiny 5-6 stair well leading up, it has no railing and they meet a former 'foe' (He wasn't really, but at the time, their first adventure!  They didn't know.  And killed him), a plate armoured dood with twin bastard swords.  Unfortunately for the Knight, she was stuck in the back, and so had to think of ways to actually involve herself into the fight (The player is male, the Warpriest is a Male Dwarf, played by a woman, it's an awesome troupe.)  So she pulls out her climbing kit and pitons herself to the stone wall, and while her friends are trying to beat on this fellow, leaps off and swings to grab him by the waist to try and drop him off the edge.

She grabbed, but was unable to dislodge him, and he hooked his foot (Ow) in the only railing available, the one behind him.  So some more back and forth ensues, even to the point of him trying to dislodge the piton, but seeing as the thief suddenly had her climbing kit out, re-secured the piton.  So the bad dood, who had discarded his main weapons to try and get the Knight off of him, drew his secondary set, and cut through the rope.

Uh oh.  And then escaped the Knight's grapple.  Sending her to her doom.  Now at this point, as DM I'm scrambling madly mentally as to how to save the character.  But I didn't see anything.  However, the Thief player got smart.  Reaching into her pack, she drew a magical, floating lantern and threw it at the Knight, telling her friend to grab on.  She succeeds.

Now, the magical property of this cute little gadget is that it can never go more than 50 feet from her.  Ever.  So the Knight ended up hanging for dear life as this lantern was stuck 50 feet below the fight.

At which point I ended the fight, by having the tower's master let them in, so he could talk to them.

That bit of quick thinking was possibly one of the coolest stunts I had ever seen.  EVER.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Ironwolf85

Ravenloft... for those who don't know is a horror setting for D&D.
Our group decided to help this noblewoman who ran into the bar we were staying at, she was screaming for someone to help, her home having been over run by bandits. without a thought i signed us up for it and we were off.
I completely forgot to ask about pay at the time...
yeah...
anyway we actually fell straight into her trap while looking for the bandits we split up inside the house while looking for them.
A few players were jumped by the vines on the side wall, our ranger was given helloucinations, and began hunting non-existant creatures in a circle for an hour.
I was ambushed by twig blights, nasty little twiggy things that sap your strengh when they hit you.
I was playing Jacques De-mortae, a son of nobility who'd been cursed before birth because his mother kicked a gypsy lady in the mouth from horse back. this being ravenloft, the gypsy did the kid a favor and gave it a better mother, the horse her ladyship was riding on.
Jacques is a fine swordsman, and actually killed a twig blight before being forced into a room and barracading himself in.
after a few minutes of them digging at all the walls and floor, they flushed him out, and the noblewoman captured him, or thought she had.
she was facing him down, and I didn't realize there were windows on the map, I didn't know the symbol.
Jacques handed over his saber before realizing there was a window to escape through.
some of the party was dead, and our rouge ran like a coward, getting cursed by the Dark powers for his willingness to abandon his friends.
Jacques came back for the captives, with a new group in tow, and homemade molotovs.
He killed all the plants and burned the house down, the noblewoman got away... barely.
the fumes from the burning centeral node rendered him sick for a few days but... left him completely immune to mental domination and control regardless of method.
and so he entered the polotical world of Dementlau as the one wild card that nobody could control.

DudelRok

My very first game of DnD was something of a Shadowrun theme that was custom made by a friend of mine. It was supposed to be based on our physical selves (easier for us to RP naturally in an unnatural circumstance) except enhanced slightly to give us a little more of a game edge.

So here it is... skipping a bit of the boring intro which was just me sneaking around in the dark because I could.

Dudel sees a bright shiny button and has a compulsion to push. After pushing, he hears a click outside the room he is in. Peeking out slowly he sees people that were not there before, slowly shambling from formerly locked rooms. Curiosity builds within him so he wonders up to one, cautiously of course, and awkwardly greets the fellow with a shy, "Hello."

The man in question snarls loudly and scares Dudel something fierce... so much so that he runs to a nearby stairwell he passed not to long ago. Pulling down a cage barrier he had unlocked and simply left alone to not explore further, he locks himself behind and stares outward at the creature which seems to have followed him. An idea comes to Dudel's mind, and he whips out his dual Uzi's... wasting a clip of ammo. Unfortunately, Dudel's aim is no-so-good and the only thing the creature loses is his kneecaps.

Shrugging that off, and letting more of the creatures slowly accumulate against that interior fence, Dudel decides to wonder upstairs to where his friend is supposed to be locked up. There was a very loud far earlier (we took the game SERIOUSLY) and it seemed to echo from this general location. Reaching the top there were many locked doors of steel. Doors he couldn't see through, as there were no bars, and doors he couldn't hear through... or so he thought. Upon getting really close to one of the doors that seemed to have a scratching coming from within, a sudden burst knocks Dudel back and against the wall... as the steel door pins him to the concrete some 4 feet behind him.

After slowly working himself free of the door, and gaining consciousness, Dudel realizes his friends have arrived to help him in his time of need. Unfortunately, Dudel is not the best fighter so opts to just run around and try to heal his friend's boo-boos as a giant hulking goul smashes them in the face every so often with what appears to be a large piece of rebar.

In the end, Dudel lives, his friends live and the beast is left dead upon the floor after a much heated battle. However, Dudel is now stuck to pulling recon and not allowed to go off too far by himself, else he might get into trouble.

---The main reason I've not really bothered with much system play after that is it's not as fun or funny.

I AM THE RETURN!

DudelWiki | On/Off Thread | A/A Thread

TheGlyphstone

I still remember one fight my PCs had in a D&D campaign I ran in high school. The 'dungeon' was a huge wizard's fortress, the home of a cabal of eight arcane spellcasters from each of the schools of magic, with lairs thematically suited to their school -a trap-complex for the diviner, a graveyard for the necromancer, etc. The Evoker was a Warmage, and his 'chambers' were done up like a World War I battlefield complete with trenches and barbed wire, while he hurled AoE spells from behind concrete barricades. He was also bugnuts crazy, believing he still fought in 'the war' and that anyone intruding on his territory was 'the enemy'. Since no one in the party can fly, I'm all set for a difficult fight where they either try to duel him at range through his fortifications, or zigzag trench run under fire to get into melee with him. Instead, the Rogue stands up in plain sight and shouts 'Sir! Special reinforcements squad reporting from HQ, sir!" Natural 20 on Bluff, with a fairly hefty modifier.

Sgt. Boom, as he was nicknamed and soon officially named, became an ally and the most beloved NPC of the campaign. He ended as Gen. Boom after a few self-given promotions, and sacrificed himself in a rearguard action against the rampaging monster hordes at a chokepoint while the party engaged the final boss and saved the world.