Question About Procrastinating

Started by neini, June 19, 2020, 10:01:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

neini

While I'm waiting for the answer if my application is good and if I'm able to become a member of this community, and get a full access to the site, I don't want to start roleplaying just yet. And at this point, I'm done snooping around and checked out literally everything from reading the rules again, in case I missed something, to wandering through all the forums, and getting used to everyone and everything. So I might as well ask a question, which recently has been stuck in my mind.  :-)

I have been roleplaying for many years and I love all everything about it. From the simple things like getting to enjoy writing, seeing how my stories unfold when I write them with someone to meeting new people and making friends. However, I noticed that even though I'm usually very excited to get back from hiatus and dive back into roleplaying, after week or so my muse tends to disappear for a bit. At first, I'm thrilled to start plotting and writing again, I literally make more time in my day so could reply to certain roleplays more than once per day. But then for some reason, even though I want to write and I'm full of motivation to do so, I can't bring myself to finish working on replies. Usually that lasts for a week, sometimes a bit more, and it's over. After that I'm back on the track.

I noticed that it happens once in awhile, not only after returning from hiatus, and I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences? If so, maybe you guys have any tips on how to get over procrastinating? Because my motivation to write is almost always there, I just can't understand why this happens, and I'm curious if I can change that somehow.
update: 29/09/23 — busy with uni right now, but I promise to reply as soon as I can

Skynet

Procrastination in my case tends to happen when doing long-form RPs, or having too much on my plate, or around the holiday seasons. On the other hand, it can be particular in regards to certain stories, where I have inspiration for some and not others.

Typically speaking there are times when one has to force oneself to write. Someone once told me that not every post has to be a masterpiece, and sometimes just getting out a response is best to keep things moving; better than the alternative where you keep trying and delaying to formulate the perfect response only for the days and weeks to continue passing by you.

PS You might want to increase the size of your text. I had to quote your text in a draft in order to read it, and I can imagine how much more difficult it would be for the visually-impaired. 12 point font size is the norm here, although 14 point is also a good "normal size" in my experience (for Arial at least).

Esoterica

Quote from: neini on June 19, 2020, 10:01:31 AM

While I'm waiting for the answer if my application is good and if I'm able to become a member of this community, and get a full access to the site, I don't want to start roleplaying just yet. And at this point, I'm done snooping around and checked out literally everything from reading the rules again, in case I missed something, to wandering through all the forums, and getting used to everyone and everything. So I might as well ask a question, which recently has been stuck in my mind.  :-)

I have been roleplaying for many years and I love all everything about it. From the simple things like getting to enjoy writing, seeing how my stories unfold when I write them with someone to meeting new people and making friends. However, I noticed that even though I'm usually very excited to get back from hiatus and dive back into roleplaying, after week or so my muse tends to disappear for a bit. At first, I'm thrilled to start plotting and writing again, I literally make more time in my day so could reply to certain roleplays more than once per day. But then for some reason, even though I want to write and I'm full of motivation to do so, I can't bring myself to finish working on replies. Usually that lasts for a week, sometimes a bit more, and it's over. After that I'm back on the track.

I noticed that it happens once in awhile, not only after returning from hiatus, and I'm wondering if anyone has had similar experiences? If so, maybe you guys have any tips on how to get over procrastinating? Because my motivation to write is almost always there, I just can't understand why this happens, and I'm curious if I can change that somehow.

I think that a lot of us go through that experience. I think there is little you can do about it except perhaps what I do, and just take it at your own pace. Sometimes you do have to force yourself to write too.

PS: And I assume that the size of your font was likely a mistake. As Skynet said I had to quote it to read it. Maybe in the future use 12 point font.
"The image ALT here""The image ALT here"

jouzinka

Quote from: neini on June 19, 2020, 10:01:31 AM

I think this happens to all of us. For me it's mostly the necessity to sit down and concentrate for an extended period of time that I sometimes struggle with. My answer is just pushing through; I didn't find any other way to work as successfully.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A