Legend of the Five Rings Interest thread.

Started by BraveEarth, February 26, 2013, 02:56:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kckolbe

I don't mind Doji magistrates, but is the story supposed to center around Crane or are other Clans equally welcome?
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

ofDelusions

Quote from: Fiver214 on March 11, 2013, 05:46:31 PM
Woops. Fixed. Never saw the rule for Void, but it's meh. Added affinity (which is water) but I'm purposely choosing not to take any higher mastery for the affinity quite yet.
That rule for void spells is in a really obscure place.

I think so far we have something like 2-3 Crane, with one being a duelist. A Phoenix shugenja, and two undecideds? Not entirely sure on that count though.

4 Cranes actually.

Fiver214

Quote from: kckolbe on March 11, 2013, 05:50:46 PM
I don't mind Doji magistrates, but is the story supposed to center around Crane or are other Clans equally welcome?

All clans are welcome. Crane seems to be more popular is all.
Well, I'm back after more than a year!

Katina Tarask

It's probably going to be centered around the Crane simply by virtue of numbers at this point.  Probably best to embrace it.  You will be assimilated by the Crane.  Your martial and artistic distinctiveness will be added to our own...

Wait, no, that's the Mantis.
Quote from: ofDelusions on March 11, 2013, 05:33:08 PMFunnily enough, I was planning on takin 2 ranks in writing for my Daidoji, so she can write a pillow book about all the juicy lives of her charges.
So that begs the question, are we writing partners or rivals in crime?

kckolbe

Thanks.  I might play another Clan but my char will have Crane heritage.  Fiver, what element is your shugenja?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Katina Tarask

There's also the option of being married into the Crane.

ofDelusions

Quote from: Katina Tarask on March 11, 2013, 06:25:43 PM
So that begs the question, are we writing partners or rivals in crime?

Well surely not rivals as my poor simple Bushi would stand no chance.

No I am entertaining idea of my character being a fan instead :P

By the way, which board will this game end up in?

BraveEarth

Quote from: Songbird on March 11, 2013, 11:59:17 AM
LOL! That's an awesome idea! :D Scorpion Courtier it is, then! ;D

B.E. - Would the players be able to control any of the NPCs, or would they be strictly under your control? I'm thinking that my Scorpion Courtier would have a lot of contacts within the Scorpion Clan.

Potentially OP in execution... I would say depends on your Allies advantages.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on March 11, 2013, 12:05:58 PM
We could set it up so that the pair were setup as hostages together?  Perhaps spent some time in the loving care of the Crab or Unicorn Clan together?  So both being from Clans so refined and also so bent on manipulation, maybe they learned to pool their skill together and tug strings at their foreign court and protect one another.  Not sure if that works with the storyline BraveEarth has envisioned.

Was thinking too, if Delusion wanted to focus on the idealistic nature of her Daidoji she could be used as influence over the military.  Idealistic, honorable, beautiful warrior...brings much glory and useful pressure for whoever's retinue she is in.

Totally not what I was thinking but this is interesting.

Quote from: Fiver214 on March 11, 2013, 03:43:30 PM
Double-post, but let me know if something needs to be fixed. Was strangely unsure about what to put for "Heritage". Do you mean his parents, or his ancestors, or his family?

Heritage Tables from the Great clans books if you don't have that just post 2 d10 rolls.

Story will not be centered around the Crane the first thing the party will be doing is 'ensuring' the Kaui get what is needed for the Scorpion Wall.

kckolbe

Well, I could always play a Crab if you want someone to represent them, though I was thinking of a Kitsu shugenja. 

Intro Thread

Fiver214

Made the roll using E's dicebot. 1 and 10 [total of 11].

Also, my character's a Water Affinity. It's shown in the Spells area of his sheet.

kckolbe

Oh, thought he was air.  No sense in us both being water shugenjas.  In that case, I will go with a Komori Shugenja and show the minor clans a little love.  They are a brand new Clan, so maybe the Crane are making an attempt at any easy alliance by including them.

Intro Thread

Fiver214

Quote from: kckolbe on March 11, 2013, 08:47:02 PM
Oh, thought he was air.  No sense in us both being water shugenjas.  In that case, I will go with a Komori Shugenja and show the minor clans a little love.  They are a brand new Clan, so maybe the Crane are making an attempt at any easy alliance by including them.

Directed at kckolbe, but for anyone really: don't be afraid to contact me via one of the IM services I've displayed on E. If I'm online, I'm usually free to talk.

Katina Tarask

I think you missed my questions, Brave.
Quote from: Katina Tarask on March 11, 2013, 04:54:18 PM
Anyways, for Kakita Artisan, would you be willing to either rule that Perform: Storytelling covers story writing as well, or allow Artisan: Writing to be added to the Kakita Artisan list of options?  I'd like to live the rockstar double life of a celebrity pillowbook artist/secret agent. :P

Also, for a Servant, would you allow Calligraphy as the Artisan skill for an Artisan?  I need someone to write pretty to spread my pillowbooks.
Quote from: kckolbe on March 11, 2013, 08:47:02 PM
The Asahina are air! :P

(And I think Brave wants to focus on the great clans.)

kckolbe

Okay.  Gonna go a simpler route and just play a Unicorn courtier.  He will have a focus on games, and am still fleshing out the rest.

Intro Thread

Katina Tarask

That seems less simple. ^^U

Anyways, 10, 7.  +1 Investigation, Contrary.

Is that applied at the beginning or at the end?

Pumpkin Seeds

Delusion have you given thought to an Ikoma bard?

Also, a Crab courtier or a Mantis might be better Kckolbe.  I do not think we have anyone really representing the commerce area of politics just yet.

Katina Tarask

The Ide are as commercial as either.  Particularly the... Caravan Master, I believe, from Strongholds of the Empire.  It's a rank 1 path, meaning it can be taken at creation.

Pumpkin Seeds

Yes...but they smell like horses and wear animal skin.

Katina Tarask

We shall be sure to give the poor barbarian a proper bath and a decent pair of clothes.

(Or, if the Ide be a gentleman, instruct a male peasant to give the poor barbarian a proper bath, and put him in a decent pair of clothes.)

kckolbe

~gasps at Pumpkin Seeds~  I can make him a little more commerce friendly.  I gave him Int 3, Commerce 1 and Daikoku's Blessing (+1k1 to commerce rolls).  Would that work?  Aside from that, he is an adequate courtier, decent at various forms of showing off, and a capable performer of tea ceremonies, so at least he can help recharge void points.

And Katina, the path is rank 2.

Intro Thread

Katina Tarask

There IS a rank 1 path somewhere to that effect.  Let me find it.

Fiver214

My shugenja is laughably unsuited to court life. I'm gonna have so much fun roleplaying this guy as the wide-eyed idealist, innocently thinking no one is lying to him.

Or should I change him?

Pumpkin Seeds

With the Scorpion and the Crane courtiers there, we can field most of your courtier needs.  Commerce though makes the world go round.  We also do need military pressure since an agreement without consequences is worthless.  Unicorn have a lovely reputation for martial prowess.

I am thinking of making Doji Kiyomi's husband be an affluent Kakita artisan.  I was wondering if you wanted to link the characters in that fashion Katina?

Kiyomi would love to meet him and guide him through court.  Perhaps a few words and she could see someone with his forthright idealism move onto the Elemental Council (hope I got that one right).  Always can use friends in high places with the spirits :P

Katina Tarask

Daidoji and Kakita cover military pretty well.

And I'm looking at Ide Caravan Master on page 61 of Strongholds of the Empire.  It is rank 1, requiring Commerce 2.

Pumpkin Seeds

Not really.  People don't fear the Crane military as much as their courtiers.  People fear the Unicorn, the Crab and the Lion military.  We don't actually want to start a war, but no reason we cannot make someone think we are willing to do so.