Original universe mech anime RP!

Started by SargentToughie, May 06, 2011, 07:25:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joslyn

Quote from: DemonWing01 on May 07, 2011, 11:30:17 AM
They will also have a radar that picks up heat sources within range, they keep this rather low tech so that pilot intelligence and opposing tactics aren't TOTALLY trumped by technology.

Just a minor correction: radar is an active sensor the bounces radio waves off the target. Other mechs would in turn be able to detect these radio waves and know they are being detected.

Heat is radiated from a mech and therefore could be picked up passively by any camera that can "see" infrared (this is a form of light that has a slightly shorter wavelength than the red end of the visible spectrum). Science! ^_^

But I agree completely that we should assume the detection technologies are relatively primitive by regulations, or else no one would ever get to ambush anyone else and the matches would be less exciting. It's also a good call IMO to rule out autopilot systems (though its certainly possible some unskilled NPC pilots might be bribing inspectors to look the other way on one).

SargentToughie

Our radars are different. Pilots only get a blip on a circular screen when a heat source is detected. This can be used for several purposes, as devices have been built as 'jammers' of these radars, because I don't have a better word to describe what they are. Basically, these jammers launch out little bits that let out heat and cause a blip to appear on the radar, thus flooding the radar with blips, and making it almost impossible to figure out which one is the real fighter or not.

It's all about combining tactics with skill, without letting technology make it too easy on the fighters.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, as too much tech and then it becomes less sport and more tech test then. Perhaps it's one reasons why Jareth was allowed enter contests with his antique mech, despite it was build military model. As it lacks tech it then gives apperance Jareth is hell of a pilot able win matches with it as it lacks the toy options. But in truth Jareth crafts his own toys from scrap. So it is test of his own engineering skills also.

Joslyn

Quote from: DemonWing01 on May 07, 2011, 12:20:50 PM
Our radars are different. Pilots only get a blip on a circular screen when a heat source is detected. This can be used for several purposes, as devices have been built as 'jammers' of these radars, because I don't have a better word to describe what they are. Basically, these jammers launch out little bits that let out heat and cause a blip to appear on the radar, thus flooding the radar with blips, and making it almost impossible to figure out which one is the real fighter or not.

Okay, I'll keep all that in mind when we start writing battle scenes. I'm glad we're working all this out ahead of time to avoid confusion. :)

But could we please just call it "heat sensors" or something to that effect?

SargentToughie

Quote from: Joslyn on May 07, 2011, 12:46:03 PM
Okay, I'll keep all that in mind when we start writing battle scenes. I'm glad we're working all this out ahead of time to avoid confusion. :)

But could we please just call it "heat sensors" or something to that effect?

Heat sensor it is! That's a good term for it.
If you're reading my RPs from the outside and like my writing, feel free to drop me a line! I'm always looking for new, fun partners. :D
Ons and offs

pendarious

hah this will make things fun for Hachi then because of his wide area scanner he's gonna be watching literally hundreds or thousands of blips.....
Psycho Mantis: You must spend every day pretending to act like you're falsely letting on that you aren't not unbetraying someone you don't not purport to allegedly not work for but really do! How do you keep all this shit straight without having an aneurysm?
Revolver Ocelot: *shrug* Practice.
—The Last Days Of FOXHOUND

Revenent

I'll look at this later when I've got more time, Demon, but I should be up for it. At least I know I can count on you not to disappear and let it die off.

Actually, I may already have a character in mind. I'm thinking a sort of oddball character who was sponsored into the league by a possibly less-than-reputable person or group. There would be a lot of controversy over whether or not he's rigging/throwing fights, but not much evidence.

SargentToughie

Ooh, more shady backdoor politics.

I trust you enough not to God mode by this point, Rev. You'll do this RP, and the premise behind it, justice.
Ons and offs

Revenent

Cool. I'll get to work on a character sheet...whenever I can actually find the time. His (fake) league name will be...I don't yet, but just a first name and kind of weird. Maybe "Amos" for the hell of it. And his MW will be called the Terror Grand, and I may or may not have a design picked out for that yet.

SargentToughie

Okay, here's the plan. I'm going to let Silk and Rev put in their characters, and we're going to get this RP started whenever both of them get characters submitted.
Ons and offs

Silk

Might be a little while until I can get my character in, so maybe worth starting without me and I'll be a league newcomer or something.

SargentToughie

Ons and offs

Revenent

Mine'll be up later tonight. I just need to think up some abilities for his MW and read through the other characters sheets to make sure I'm not copying anyone by mistake.

Revenent

Alright, I'm very tired and on vacation when I'm writing this, so forgive me if any of it is poorly worded or anything like that.

Name: Montresor (registered name; universally believed to be a stage name of some sort)
Sexual Orientation: Rumored to be bi, but no one seems to look for evidence either way when there's more interesting scandals in his fighting life.
Appearance:

(Without the claws, obviously. Wears this whenever he's in or around an MBF fight.)

Personality: In the ring, Montresor does everything he can to be a showman. He constantly taunts his foes and tries to draw them into taking risks that will be sure to entertain, even though he makes himself lose sometimes. He generally tries to drag every fight out as long as possible, only stopping when either he or his opponent has completely run out of energy. Occasionally, he'll back off and even hold his team (when he's on a team) back if he feels he's crippled an enemy out of sheer luck, giving them time to recover.

Outside of the ring, whatever little time he spends around the other pilots, he acts fairly polite to most, but gets violently enraged if anyone insults him or suggest that he's playing outside the rules (an accusation that will be discussed later). Twice he's hospitalized another pilot, and on one of those occasions had to get admitted himself. You don't often see him around his competitors and teammates, though; he usually collects his winnings immediately after the fight, then changes and leaves out the spectator entrance to avoid the usual post-fight interviews.

All in all, it's difficult to say how deep this nutjob persona of his goes; whether it's just an act he puts on to draw a crowd, or if he really is unhinged.

History: Very little. Montresor entered the league three years ago, funded by an anonymous sponser. His Mobilized Weapon was already fully outfitted and he was more or less fully trained. He immediately jumped into the big matches, sometimes making a guest appearances on various teams that were short one member, but generally sticking to the one-on-one and occasionally two-on-two battles. Very little has changed since that time, except for slight rises and dips in his skill based around whether he was on a winning streak or losing streak during those times.

Of course, as he got popular to be recognized by a good chunk of the population when brought up by name, the media started researching and publishing poorly-founded rumors regarding his sponsors and his erratic win-loss patterns. Soon enough, everyone believed Montresor was funded by one of the mafias, and that he was purposely winning and losing certain matches so that his bosses could make big money by placing bets on a predetermined outcome. When the Federation looked into this, they found no evidence that he was rigging or intentionally throwing any matches, so he hasn't been banned from the league just yet.

A few rumors also refer to a violet-haired woman who is often seen around his garage when his mech is getting repaired, though no one has been able to get close enough to question her yet.

MW
Name: Terror Grand
Appearance:

Standard Weaponry
-Two sets of three claws that flip out into attack position rather than extend and retract. Can be either coated with plasma or charged with electricity.
-Beam emitters on both palms that shoot small energy rings.

Optional Weaponry
-Dispenser unit, on back. Can either be loaded with mines (20 max), flammable gel, or a smokescreen. Montresor usually doesn't bother, though.

Other Systems
-Lock-resistant armor coating. Makes it slightly easier for him to throw off the detection system for a weapon lock by moving around.

Construction and History: Again, there is little public knowledge on the matter. Montresor simply showed up to register with the unit already on hand and has done very little to modify or upgrade it since. It may not have even been made specifically for his use, though skilled pilots may recognize that the machine does seem to fit his style quite well with its speed and oddball design.

SargentToughie

Ons and offs

Silk

Name: Ysena Mors

Sexual Orientation: Bi-Curious

Appearance:

Personality: Ysena is a avid animal lover, having many stuffed animals as she is not allowed to keep any in her place of residence. She is generally cheerful regardless of her Illness. She tries to do right by people and would prefer them to do right by her, although she has small quirks, she is generally the type of girl to be lost in the crowd with few things to really make her stand out. She takes part in mech battles so she can keep paying for her medication, which is usually very expensive. Because of that she takes her battles seriously because her health is on the line.

History: Ysena has always been a sickly child, a rare genetic disorder called Plasmosis, a disorder that results in the plasma in her blood stream either being too thick or to few, resulting in her being bedridden for most of her childhood until a medication could be created to help keep her plasma levels at safe levels. This allowed for her to make up for some lost time and join the local school's and make a few friends.

However the medication was expensive, and her parents struggled to keep up with the payments, so Ysena began to relapse into her bedridden phases as her medication became even more scarce. But one day, she saw the flyer about the mech league, knowing her uncle used to own a special design mech pilot, she went to him, and asked him to give her some training in the mechs, and to redesign his mech back into a standard suitable for her.

Now Ysena is taking part in the League. Hoping to pay off all of her medical expenses so her illness  doesn't destroy three lives. Giving it her all in her new custom mech, and a determination that will take her far.

Mech: Dark Lynx

Standard Weaponry :
2x howling cannons: These cannon's are average offensive tools of their brand, however they fire at a unique trajectory that causes a loud screeching on their desent. (becomes shoulder mounted in humanoid form)
4x Mangler claws: Each of the Dark Lynx's claws is designed to have a electrical charge going through them when activated, this force allows them to scythe into the opponents mechs much easier than if it was just metal on metal. (unusable in humanoid form)
Lightning arc: A mouth weapon that fires several powerful electrical charges that causes streaks of lightning to arc between them, usually in a trajectory towards the opponent. (usable in humanoid form as a arm weapon)

Other equipment:
Phantasm engine: A special engine used by scouts, conserving significant energy from the mech to allow it to run almost at room temeprature, allowing it to avoid most heat based sensors (radar) this stored energy is used to power the lightning arc and the mangler claws.
Special traits: Humanoid form:
The dark Lynx is able to alter itself into a humanoid version of itself, standing at the height of usual mechs of its grade, becoming a more long distant combatant with the shreiking cannons and the lightning arc.

Low profile: The Dark Lynx when in animal form has a low profile that is roughly half of the usual mechs, this allows it to remain hidden easier, particularly in dark envioments thanks to its darker colouring.

Tight turning: The Dark lynx when in animal form allows for increased stability and speed at the cost of close quarters turning capability having to take a wider arc to turn and is unable to turn on the spot.