Interest Check: Pathfinder 2nd edition - Troubles in Otari > Abomination Vaults.

Started by Revelation, February 25, 2024, 01:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revelation

Evil stirs in the depths of the Abomination Vaults, a sprawling dungeon where the evil sorcerer Belcorra Haruvex attempted to raise an army of monsters hundreds of years ago. Brave heroes must venture into a dungeon full of beasts and traps to prevent a spiteful villain from rising again.

��Greetings, group players of Elliquiy. There has been a bit of a dearth when it comes to system based group games on Elliquiy as of late. And I have been itching to give play by posts another go. And yet as I mentioned, there are few and far between.

As such, there is an old saying. 'If you want to see a system based game on Elliquiy and there are none around, you gotta do it yourself'. Or something like that as the ancient scriptures say.

Enough fooling around for now though - In short, I am looking to potentially take on the GM'ing mantle of a PF2 game on Elliquiy. I have not DM'd properly in a woefully long time. And I have never GM'd PF2 before. So those are some caveats to consider if you are interested. We would likely start with the beginner's box adventure 'Troubles in Otari' to begin with - first to test the waters, test my ability to DM, and of course, see how well the group can play together on the forums and stick around. Should everything be gucci therein, I would like to try my hand at running Abomination Vaults. Abomination Vaults as an adventure path kind of encompass a megadungeon style adventure and are more combat heavy but that doesn't mean there won't be chances for RP, socialization, and non combat solutions.

There are a few further caveats I will get into below - so please take this all into account when you decide if this sounds to be for you or not.

1) I will be looking for 4-5 players for this game. It will not be first come, first served. I will try to select based off of neat characters, party composition, and probably some other factors that I can't get into or am unable to easily ascertain.

2) With the death of Elliquiy's Dicebot (RIP), I will most likely be making a discord server for this to handle dice and probably OOC discussion. As such, consider Discord usage a requirement for this game.

3) I like pretty characters and anime-esque art. As such this could be considered the aesthetic I'd be going for. I will also be upfront and say AI art for character references is verboten. Sorry. Personal preference.

4) Posting rate is intended to be somewhat regular - I would like to make sure players and myself stay engaged with the RP, but I don't have any particular set rate in mind for the moment.

5) I want everyone to have fun. As such, if we aren't having fun, I will try to remedy things and/or work them out. There will be some bumps and rocky roads as I get accustomed to DM'ing again, so please consider this as well.

6) Smut of NPC to PC sorts may not be a big thing in this game. Monsters for example will more likely try to eat you than bang you. I have no issues if PC's want to get frisky with one another, though. But I will likely keep the hanky panky in a separate thread.

OK. This is the first time I've ever done an interest check like this before in my Elliquiy life. I am sure there are a billion things I should have covered but I did not, so like... If you have questions, comments, concerns, etc, please ask them and I will do my best to answer.

Thank you for reading this.

AndyZ

Interested, but I’m bad at figuring out if art is made by AI or not.  If I submit one that’s AI, can I ask you to let me know so I can pick another?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Revelation

Quote from: AndyZ on February 25, 2024, 01:20:25 PMInterested, but I’m bad at figuring out if art is made by AI or not.  If I submit one that’s AI, can I ask you to let me know so I can pick another?
I won't say I have the keenest eye for discerning it every time, but I think I can probably at least do some searching to see if art is AI or not - there are some methods I use for such.

AndyZ

Quote from: Revelation on February 25, 2024, 01:22:36 PMI won't say I have the keenest eye for discerning it every time, but I think I can probably at least do some searching to see if art is AI or not - there are some methods I use for such.

Well, if I submit and I have no idea, but if it’s AI, I welcome you to let me know and I’ll find another picture.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Revelation

Quote from: AndyZ on February 25, 2024, 01:33:03 PMWell, if I submit and I have no idea, but if it’s AI, I welcome you to let me know and I’ll find another picture.
That would be my intention. I would just let a player know the character art isn't gucci and then request them to find something else. Using it won't immediately make your character get denied.

Ixy

I am quite interested.  I like PF, but I -sometimes- have a hard time keeping up with the differences between 2e and whatever the other types of PF there are.  I just, like, never get to play it and don't read the news about it.

When you determine how you'd like to see applications, et cetera, I'll write something up for you to review/reject/crucify/accept.  Much depends on the setting, of course, but I could see submitting a downtrodden ranger with bottle issues or a spunky, verbose rogue (grown-up, female Tom Sawyer).

With Discord as a backbone to support the forum game, there's a huge potential for success.

Hope this works out-- kudos to you for raising the flag and bracing for impact!

Pumpkin Seeds

I have been wanting to give PF2e a try. Are we doing the new or old? Asking because I think I would want to try a wizard. 

Revelation

Quote from: Ixy on February 25, 2024, 02:12:45 PMI am quite interested.  I like PF, but I -sometimes- have a hard time keeping up with the differences between 2e and whatever the other types of PF there are.  I just, like, never get to play it and don't read the news about it.

When you determine how you'd like to see applications, et cetera, I'll write something up for you to review/reject/crucify/accept.  Much depends on the setting, of course, but I could see submitting a downtrodden ranger with bottle issues or a spunky, verbose rogue (grown-up, female Tom Sawyer).

With Discord as a backbone to support the forum game, there's a huge potential for success.

Hope this works out-- kudos to you for raising the flag and bracing for impact!
PF2 is a different beast from PF1 for sure. Less complicated in some aspects, other parts expanded. Martial/Caster disparity isn't nearly as impactful as it is in 1e and the martial based classes are quite potent in their own right.

The setting will be default Golarion most likely - but with how hodgepodge the default setting it, and with me probably allowing things that most would consider unusual/rare, there will be the opportunity for all sorts of character types. A downtrodden ranger or a spunky rogue are both great concepts to go with.

Thanks for the well wishes. Right now I'm just seeing how much interest there may be!

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on February 25, 2024, 02:19:23 PMI have been wanting to give PF2e a try. Are we doing the new or old? Asking because I think I would want to try a wizard.
I believe I have the revised core PHB - as it doesn't have the Champion Class which was core in the first printing. That being said, most classes save for the Animist and Exemplar will be allowed (Those two are still in playtest if I recall, and, the Exemplar is a very unusual class given it's the only one that is explicitly deemed 'Rare' to my knowledge).

As such I am coming into this with the expectation but not the demand that most people will have access to the revised core book(s).

AndyZ

I got my 2e book a few years ago and it has Champions as a class.  Is it the wrong one?

Revelation

Quote from: AndyZ on February 25, 2024, 02:48:07 PMI got my 2e book a few years ago and it has Champions as a class.  Is it the wrong one?
That is the original printing.

I'm unsure if the SRD's are updated with the current revisions or not, it seems they do not but on the other hand, I'll work with anyone who lacks the revised core book to make sure everyone is on the same page. Not every change is massive, and some are easy to work with explaining. Lacking the revised core book(s) is not a dealbreaker.

Pumpkin Seeds

My understanding is revised closely follows the original but wizard and witch are different.

Revelation

Revised does some things like lump the Tiefling/Aasimar/other planarborn heritages as 'Nephilim', changes spell mechanics a bit, and in general there are some other minor fluff & rule updates. I don't think any of it should really be a dealbreaker if a PC lacks access to it.

That being said, the Archives of Nethys website (the PF2 SRD site), did say they were working on adding the revisions and that should be 'soon', so we'll see!

Sorvoe551

I'd definitely be interested. I had experience with PF2e (currently in a weekly campaign on Tuesdays). I have an idea for a character. I just have a quick question. Will the Free Archetype rule be allowed? That's where you get an extra feat once every two levels to add a feat associated with an Archetype you pick and meet the prerequisites for.

Second, while I understand AI art is banned, could I screenshot a mini from Roll20? It's what I usually make my characters with. I can find a proper image if that isn't allowed.

Revelation

Quote from: Sorvoe551 on February 25, 2024, 03:15:05 PMWill the Free Archetype rule be allowed?
I'll admit I am unfamiliar with this rule, so I will have to look into it. But it's not off the table if people would like/prefer this rule be in. It's an alternative rule in the core books it seems though so in theory I have no issues against it, and it would allow for more versatile/potent characters.

Quote from: Sorvoe551 on February 25, 2024, 03:15:05 PMcould I screenshot a mini from Roll20?
In theory I have no issues against this, but if by chance the character is selected they may look incongruous with the rest of the party but that depends on what characters get accepted. So just keep that in mind is all.

Sorvoe551

Revelation

pdragon

What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Sorvoe551

Firstly, love the MGS3 reference in your signature.

Second, man does she look cool. Monks are pretty good in 2e, I'd definitely think she could be a good addition

Revelation

Quote from: pdragon on February 25, 2024, 05:32:53 PMThrowing in interest.

Would a beastkin monk be good?

A beastkin monk would be fine. Though I am curious as to what ancestry you would use to represent a beastkin. I would probably use a catfolk for the ancestry.

It's looking like we have some healthy interest, so that's good news.

Sorvoe551

pdragon

@Revelation 
I assume it's just human, the cat part comes from being a beastkin. Throwing beastkin on top of an already beast race doesn't really work, does it? 

@Sorvoe551
he (nsfw)

Request Thread

Revelation

Quote from: pdragon on February 25, 2024, 08:06:48 PMI assume it's just human, the cat part comes from being a beastkin. Throwing beastkin on top of an already beast race doesn't really work, does it? 
Ah, you mean the versatile heritage proper. It's classified as a rare heritage but I see little reason to forbid it.

pdragon

Quote from: Revelation on February 25, 2024, 08:12:10 PMAh, you mean the versatile heritage proper. It's classified as a rare heritage but I see little reason to forbid it.
Yeah, that's why I wanted to ask if it would be ok since I wasn't sure what was allowed, especially since there are apparently different version now as well. Thank you. 

Request Thread

Raku

Going to see if I can get in on this. Going to try playing as a spellcaster. Can we use anything from the player’s guide to help?

Sorvoe551