[Neo Requiem] Science Fiction Sandbox - Rebellion Against the Status Quo

Started by Aethyrium, May 07, 2019, 02:52:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aethyrium

Quote from: Sarita on May 09, 2019, 07:43:49 PM
I am all over the vibes of this setting.

I was thinking about submitting an angry drunken character. She's all for any team that's involved with causing trouble for the establishment. She's former youth league member of HIVE where she received "aptitude and placement" training as an M.D. in Cybernetics then got sent to a couple years in prison for violating some HIVE rules. Now she's free to terrorize the corpies.

I'm picturing her as being Underclass, deceased family, raised by corporate school. She scored high in aptitude and sent for the HIVE youth league training to become a Doctor. Since she's underclass she sees the real shit side things, causes some trouble, gets sent to prison. Now she's out and living in squalor back where she started.

Where are we in the spectrum of story telling for this setting. Would we be running ops Shadowrun style with lots of action or living out a dramatic noir lifestyle tinged with rebellion?
Well I'm glad you like where it's at.

That concept would definitely fit right in. Having a doctor type I'm sure will be helpful in the long run. I don't see any reason why such an idea wouldn't work. :)

As for the storytelling, a little bit of both. There will certainly be active ops so to speak, after all the groups purpose is to enact change and small shifts aren't going to do that. However there will be a lot of focus on the characters and the subtle things they do.

Lyrical

Vlexia

If you cannot honor a No, then you certainly could never honor a Yes.

Aethyrium

Quote from: Sarita on May 12, 2019, 09:20:31 AM
Do you want sheets posted here or sent to you directly?
You can post them right here into this thread. :)

Quote from: Vlexia on May 12, 2019, 10:29:49 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHH

I’ll be working on a CS today!!!!!
Excellent! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

And, once more to our lurkers out there... You've got time, but it would be great for me to get a head count. So if you could pop in and drop off your interest and maybe a brief idea of your thoughts. For the planning!

Lyrical

Submitted for approval and tinkering.  Let me know if it's okay. I added a section to the bottom.

Neo Requiem Character Sheet

Faceclaim
Lauren Mychal
Character Name: Dr Lorraine Nováková "Raine"
Aliases: Raine | Jigsaw | Dr Jekyl | Ms Hyde
Identification Code: K3J-9OE-RE4 
Social Class: Underclass
Risk Level: 4.Orange
HIVE Records: Yes

Public Records

Eye Color:Blue   Hair Color:Variable   Age:28
Height:5'2"   Weight:121lb   Birthplace:Burrows

Data File

Nature: Extremist | Radical | Terrorist | Activist
Demeanor: Angry | Drunken | Passionate

Observed Behaviors: Given to drink, spends frequent nights in dive bars alone. Often involved in heated arguments and prone to physical violence. Usually wears jeans and leather jackets, changes hair styles and coloring frequently. Has not returned to medical practice or attempted to work at any clinics.

Documented Life Events

• 09.14.2359 - Earth.The Burrows.Prague: Born to Irena Nováková who died in birth. Raised by uncle Jacek. Not real family. Jacek was Irena's dealer among other things. 
  • 01.30.2367 - Earth.The Burrows.Prague: Jacek was taken down by HIVE. Raine was taken into corporate care and put into a placement school for aptitude testing.   
  • 06.24.2369 - Earth.The Burrows.Prague: Raine is identified as having high levels of aptitude for biology, chemistry, and applied physics. She is placed in Medical and Cybernetic Studies 
  • 09.15.2371 - Earth.The Burrows.Siberian District.Hive Training Facility: Transferred to youth HIVE training facility for advanced education and practical placement induction. She receives intensive academic studies in her field of aptitude. Cybernetics and Field Surgery 
  • 09.15.2373 - Earth.Siberian Wilderness District. Hive Training Zone: Explosion during live munitions firing exercises results in the deaths of a dozen classmates and three instructors. The event is deemed suspicious, subsequent investigations place fault on HIVE supervisor (deceased in blast.) Raine survives but loses her right arm-partial shoulder, also loses left arm to the elbow, and takes damage to her right eye. Surgeon grade cybernetic replacements are given linking right eye and hands. Partial facial reconstruction on right side, mostly cosmetic.
  • 04.10.2375 - Earth.Africa.Sahara Desert: Age 16, begins work with HIVE medical units for her residency while working on advanced medical doctorate. Due to her underclass status she is relagated to work in prisons and on emergency response missions.   
  • 12.25.2379 - Earth.European Province.London: Age 20, receives her medical doctorate license and advanced cybernetics certificates   
  • 08.01.2383 - Earth.The Burrows.India.SuperMax Factory: Age 24, Dr Raine has now worked at the SuperMax Factory for the last two years. It is one of Earth's largest prisons, a city created to house violent offenders and put them into work placements for rehabilitation and restitution for their crimes.  On this day, she is arrested for dismantling prisoners without authorization.  If she wasn't a member of HIVE and this wasn't a prison, the crime would have been Serial/Multiple Counts of First Degree Murder as little was left of the people she dismantled. HIVE was unable to trace where the government issued cybernetic parts and human organs were sold to. Raine admitted to the crimes and gave information leading to the arrest of several individuals running body chop shops illegally within the prison. She was given a reduced sentence.
  • 09.29.2386 - Earth.The Burrows.Moscow: Age 27, Raine is released after serving three years in HIVE prison. She immediately goes out and gets drunk where she makes friends with nefarious underground cybernetic parts dealers... whom she plans on betraying. A month later HIVE receives a tip about the operators only to find bits and pieces of the cybernetic dealers. Their warehouse and medical equipment is mostly gone.  Raine has no affiliation with them as she's now working repairing cybernetic devices at a parts shop. 
  • 08.17.2387 (18:42) - Earth.The Burrows.Moscow: Age 28, Face down at a table in some random hole in the wall nighclub where the party never stops. Loud music thumping and people dancing. She had left work about forty minutes before. ((Who knew such a little thing could drink that much in only 40 min's?!))   

Why were you recruited?
She's a field surgeon with specialization in cybernetics including both industrial applied attachments and HIVE grade tech. Although her links to previous terrorist activity have never been proven those within some of the lower connected are aware of her. Not all are aware of her in a good way as she's crossed a few, is deemed a drunk by some, and a few are even a little suspicious that she's a sociopath. A good psych profile would show that she's not insane but she really doesn't like the corpies, to the point that she'll do horrible things to them. Or maybe she is a little twisted after all  ;D  What do I bring to the team? Dammit, Jim. I don't know, I'm just an old country with some built in cybernetic parts that allow me to perform delicate surgical, potentially life saving, or horrifically terrifying operations.

Cybernetic Attachments
Right Arm including shoulder & Left arm up to Elbow - HIVE grade professional cybernetics they are shaped like human arms and have fully articulate 5 digit hands with bio-sensory input to simulate feeling through stimulating nerve connections. However they are currently not housed in synthetic skins, they are exposed metal and plastic alloys. The devices house collapsible / folding / retracting tools required for surgery including small precision lasers. Note: These are designed for cutting and cauterizing flesh and bone; the lasers will not cut steel but they can solder electronic parts or cut wire with medical precision.

Weakness of prosthetic cybernetics: Although highly expandable in capability HIVE only left her with what she needed to continue with Medical practice if desired. They are slightly stronger than a human arm in durability but not by much. Physically they offer no enhancements on strength or speed although the capability is there but costly.

Right Eye - Looks exactly like a real eye unless inspected closely. It's bio-electrically linked to her arms, it creates a precision heads up display for use in medical diagnostics and surgical procedures along with a zooming function for basic magnification (similar to a camera zoom).  (Note: Part of her cheek bone and brow ridge are also metal and plastic but house no cybernetics at this time. These are covered in lab grown human tissues. She can't feel on her cheek bone or around that eye but it looks and feels real to the touch.)

Bibliophilia

Well...she would be...er...how are the other characters meant to trust her enough to team up with her, given her history?

Vlexia

Ready for first round of edits!!!!!

Faceclaim
Britney Renner
Character Name: Vivica Anderson
Alises: Bellatrix | Valkyrie
Identification Code: XXV-3RF-70F
Social Class: The Common Class
Risk Level: 3, Yellow

Public Records

Eye Color:Dark Gold   Hair Color:Brown   Age:26
Height:5’8”   Weight:141 lbs   Birthplace:Venus | Mining Colony

Data File

Nature: Hardworking, Observant, Protective, Addict
Demeanor: Brash, Bold, Aggressive, Verbally curt

Observed Behaviors: Brash, bold, and beautiful, Vivica has a head on her shoulders and isn't afraid to use it, albeit usually in a challenging way. She respects authority, but only when it is earned by merit. Despite not being the best at first impressions, the woman is extremely loyal, protective, and watchful, mindful of everyone and defender of the underdog. She hates injustice and would rather put herself in danger over anyone else, which has led to a couple of brawls through the years. Born as the only child of a Colonial Metal Worker, Vivica was very structured and surrounded by hard work growing up. She doesn’t have time to waste her actions on words with people, making her get right to the point and demanding of others to do the same.

Documented Life Events

• 3.25.2361 - Venus.Mining Colony Sector#9:Born between Penal Miner Stephanie Williams and MetalSmith Derek Jackson. Parents never married but remained close during their child’s life. Only child of Derek Jackson and thus taught father’s trade.
  • 9.14.2369 - Venus.Uranium Cove: Mother Stephanie Williams dies from respiratory failure and septic shock from broken femur during cave collapse.
  • 1.3.2383 - Venus.Recreation Arena near Sector#8: Vivica gets arrested for gym brawling when a fellow colonist tried to rape her in the showers. Unfortunately it was a man’s words against hers despite it was hard for the man to talk with much less teeth, claiming she tried to rob him. This was the first of many tangles with the law on minor misdemeanors.
  • 5.19.2385 - Venus. Mining Colony Sector#5B. Jackson MetalWorks: Invented a new bismuth and lead mining rig that required less humans to man and was more safe and faster with garnering resources.
  • 11.2.2385 - Venus. Northwestern hemisphere: First major planetary earthquake, Vivica aided in relief work.
  • 7.30.2386 - Venus. Medical Arena Sector#12: Father Derek Jackson dies from alcohol poisoning.

Why were you recruited?
Reserved with a dark demeanor, Vivica has a thread of violence deep inside her self conscious that comes out rarely but explosively. She is a mastermind when it comes to metalworking and bending metal to her desires, building bone-crushing melee weapons from scratch. A lifetime under the hammer has forced her to acquire thick muscles around her biceps and back, giving her many scars and injuries with the knowledge that comes with it. Vivica would be a brawler in a group, protector and great defendant to a cause she believes in. This, as well as her infamy on Vesus with her inventions and designs, has given her branches of information and a voice when speaking for the lower class workers.

Lyrical

Quote from: Bibliophilia on May 12, 2019, 04:51:21 PM
Well...she would be...er...how are the other characters meant to trust her enough to team up with her, given her history?
Thank you for asking that. It's actually a problem that I ran into with the character sheet itself. I wasn't sure if I should add another section to it.

The backstory to the people she dismantled in the prison and the other's she made disappear are all the same. Each of them were working for corpies in some way or were involved in undermining rebellion efforts. She made the munitions blow up as well while she was in HIVE training because she simply wanted to kill as many HIVE members or future members and take her own life in the process #SuicideBomberStyle so to speak.

But I don't know how to put that into our character sheet currently? I was hoping it would be implied with her given Extremist | Terrorist nature, I'm open to suggestions on how I could squeeze it into her sheet? Maybe I need to put more in her personality and demeanor profile?

Bibliophilia

Ah!  That helps a lot, actually.  I imagine the whole purpose of the sheets as they are is to leave that sort of thing open to be learned in-character, so I suppose I've spoiled it.  Still, it'll make for an interesting dynamic if the characters mistrust her at first, only to learn that and either alter their perceptions or not...depending on the character.

I apologize to Aeth if I ruined part of the fun of the game with that question.

Lyrical

I think it's okay. That's just the surface of the story. Maybe it'll help with the plotting and planning? We could plan to fight about the fact your character really thinks she's Dr Jekyll or something .. and my character will punch yours in the face. Fight fight fight!  ... Then yours can kick her ass. :) See.. Scene 1 already planned. Let's get this show on the road.

Joseph Laudantis

Faceclaim
Miles teller
Character Name: Carter Francis Pirandelli
Alises: Sparky; Gear Head; Vectorial
Identification Code: IT4-8G5-JK7
Social Class: Consumer Class
Risk Level: 1.Orange

Public Records

Eye Color:Brown   Hair Color:Black   Age:19
Height:5'8   Weight:145   Birthplace:Venus.Kalis

Data File

Nature: Insightful, Analytical, ambitious, ingenious 
Demeanor: Irriverent, good listener, visionary, supportive, indignant

Observed Behaviors:
Carter is an extremely ambitious engineer. He likes to experience things on his own hands and try to replicate them as best as he can, no matter what he's got. Highly analytical of machines, computers, aircrafts and mobile devices, he consider other's personality as "complex mechanisms" whose composition needs to be understood.
Supposedly scarred from past events, he has developed a strong criticism toward the government. He was documented to be very active in his communitiy's political ground, attending protests and manifestation run by the local worker of the mines. Arrested multiple times.
(Documented behaviors, styles, habits, and other things that might be documented about the character.)

Documented Life Events

• 07.06.2367- Venus.Cytherean Valley.Consumer class community hospital :
Born to Julius Pirandelli and Jeanne Volskaya. Complication during labor. Urgent caesarean section performed with success. Jeanne Volskaja never woke up from her anesthesia.
Opted for youth registration. Catalogued

• 09.01.2375- Venus.Kali's Administrative province. HIVE control stations :
Carter is arrested for unauthorized access to the machinery deposit of John Dewitt's mining company. Several parts of mining machinery were confiscated during a raid in his domicile. Sentenced to two weeks of re-educational activities. Event added to personal HIVE records.

07.06.2377- Venus.Cytherean Valley's Junior High. : Carter Is involved in a fight during lunchtime. He affirms that "those guys insulted my mother". Sentenced to 4 hours of detention and to a 3 week period of suspension for normal school activities.
Event added to personal HIVE record.

• 05.12.2378- Venus.Cytherean Valley.Kalis's province. Eritreas :
At 3:45 a.m, earth's time zone GMT, the Pirandelli's domicile is on fire. Numerous neighbors come in aid of Carter and Julius, without success for the latter.
Carter affirms to know the responsible of such fire affirming that whoever was responsible for the fire was connected to John Dewitt, owner of the mining complex his father was working for.  The subject refuses to answer any of the HIVE questions. Act of insubordination add to personal HIVE records.

• 05.12.2379- Kali's province. Niels Bohr high school :
Graduated with class of 2379 honoris causa due to his exceptional results in engineering physics, mechanics and robotics. 80.000 Venus dollar scholarship awarded with his graduation. Permission to leave the planet with a student visa: approved.

• 05.04.2383- Earth.Europe's province.Poland.Warsaw. :
Graduated from Warsaw's academy of science and mechanics, GPA: 4.0.

• 07.03.2384- Venus. Kali's administrative province. :
Carter was found responsible for disabling the camera surveillance system of John Dewitt's Cytherean mining complex to support a worker-led protest in the facility. His position was calculated a few minutes later using the signal emitted from his equipment. HIVE units converged into his position, a little house in Kalis, a few seconds later. High resistance to the arrest and insubordination were met with non-lethal violence carried out by agents [redacted], [redacted] and [redacted]. Afterward, the subject reported multiple head injuries and several broken bones. Partial medical treatment was provided to the Subject.

• 07.03.2386- Cytherean Valley:
Carter is elected representative of the miners' protection labor syndicate for the John Dewitt's mining complex. He is reported being active in almost every initiative, manifestations and protests within his community. He is suspected to have illicitly built drones to control and deceive the HIVE riot control units. Carter's threat level is increased to Orange.

Why were you recruited?
Carter was recruited mainly because of his ideology. He thinks that authorities, especially the HIVE and other private organization belonging to the government, brutally pummel and patronize low-class individual, not giving them enough freedom, financial security nor rights.
Of course, his engineering skills helped him during his fights against John Dewitt, whom Carter think had killed his father. He is an excellent builder and programmer mainly because of his high education and his natural inclination.
He was already regarded as a "terrorist" from HIVE authorities and he is constantly harassed in every aspect of his life by law enforcers. He, essentially, wants to change not only his community but the entire system and he also wants to know the truth about his father.

Aethyrium

Holy sheets. I'll take a peek at all of these shortly... Probably. Might need to wait till tomorrow afternoon. But lovely to see them!

Aethyrium

Quote from: Bibliophilia on May 12, 2019, 06:09:24 PM
Ah!  That helps a lot, actually.  I imagine the whole purpose of the sheets as they are is to leave that sort of thing open to be learned in-character, so I suppose I've spoiled it.  Still, it'll make for an interesting dynamic if the characters mistrust her at first, only to learn that and either alter their perceptions or not...depending on the character.

I apologize to Aeth if I ruined part of the fun of the game with that question.
No, you haven't ruined anything. It was a good question. The style of the sheets is to sort of facilitate that learning of what's really going on in character, but also there were bound to be some concepts that were going to need to be elaborated on in more detail just because of where they come from. Once the characters figure out that Elizabeth is who called them, I fully expect there to be doubts cast because of her status... So I was open to that being the case with others.

And Sarita, your character looks great. Things fit in nice, I like the work you did there. The elaboration helped too, so thanks for that! I think she'd make a fun addition.

Vlexia, a nice addition as well. I was not expecting to see someone meleeish focused, so that's a fun take on things. And infrastructure knowledge could take us in a fun direction. I like that she's common class and has very little known about her in the long run, lends to that "Just another person" vibe, which is a fun take too. I like it!

Joseph, hey! Glad to see that concept coming together. :) A couple of quick notes: Your Risk Level should be a number and a color, and your Licensed Status only needs to be the highest (3B in your case), because it carries all lower grade licenses with it. All of that said, he seems fun. Young, but fun. Seems like he's pretty actively on the radar of HIVE, given his most recent incidents with them being so close to current time. So I can see where that might take us down an interesting path. I like him.

Joseph Laudantis

Quote from: Aethyrium on May 12, 2019, 11:28:21 PM
Joseph, hey! Glad to see that concept coming together. :) A couple of quick notes: Your Risk Level should be a number and a color, and your Licensed Status only needs to be the highest (3B in your case), because it carries all lower grade licenses with it. All of that said, he seems fun. Young, but fun. Seems like he's pretty actively on the radar of HIVE, given his most recent incidents with them being so close to current time. So I can see where that might take us down an interesting path. I like him.

Thank you so much Aethyrium :)
Oh understood, I'll make those changes in the CS asap and I'll post it again on this thread.
I'm really glad that this character is ok since I initially thought that all the infos were too basic or non satisfactory. Thank you for that.
Also I'll try to find an image for the profile as soon as I can. Sorry for the partial CS and for all those mistakes  :-\
I'll try to fix them immediately

Lyrical

Quote from: Aethyrium on May 12, 2019, 11:28:21 PM
And Sarita, your character looks great. Things fit in nice, I like the work you did there. The elaboration helped too, so thanks for that! I think she'd make a fun addition.
I'm looking forward to the game.

Aethyrium

Okay, so I've got a couple of PM's still floating around with people wanting to tinker with concepts. And we have some lurkers yet... But we also have a reasonable cast at this point to.

So I'm gonna let recruitment run through the weekend. Let's call it Monday as the last day to have concepts posted. And I'll toss further details up after that. :)

Lyrical

Quote from: Aethyrium on May 14, 2019, 06:58:35 PM
Okay, so I've got a couple of PM's still floating around with people wanting to tinker with concepts. And we have some lurkers yet... But we also have a reasonable cast at this point to.

So I'm gonna let recruitment run through the weekend. Let's call it Monday as the last day to have concepts posted. And I'll toss further details up after that. :)
I am so hyped for some cyberpunk goodness.

I'm even delving into the music scene. Inspiration:  ♪♫♬ Scandroid - Neo Tokyo (dance with the dead remix) ♪♫♬

Vlexia

Quote from: Sarita on May 14, 2019, 07:07:07 PM
I am so hyped for some cyberpunk goodness.

I'm even delving into the music scene. Inspiration:  ♪♫♬ Scandroid - Neo Tokyo (dance with the dead remix) ♪♫♬

Love incorporating music into my posts. Also looking up all sorts of post apocalyptic-cyberpunk outfits for inspiration lol

Apple of Eris

This seems really cool. I will work up a concept if you're still accepting applicants.
Men are those creatures with two legs and eight hands.  ~Jayne Mansfield
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Aethyrium

Quote from: Apple of Eris on May 16, 2019, 11:16:21 PM
This seems really cool. I will work up a concept if you're still accepting applicants.
We absolutely are! Feel free to drop one in. :)

Apple of Eris

Faceclaim:
Aino Kinshi
Character Name: Tomoko Yoshizawa
Alises: Yuri Kitagawa
Identification Code: Y9Z-8KN-00S
Social Class: Consumer Class as Yuri Kitagawa, Underclass as Tomoko Yoshizawa
Risk Level: Yuri Kitagawa: Green Two, Tomoko Yoshizawa: Red 6
HIVE Records: Yes, as Tomoko Yoshizawa multiple arrests for suspected violent crimes.

Public Records

Eye Color:BrownHair Color:BrownAge:25
Height:5'4"Weight:122 lbsBirthplace: Nagoya, Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Registered: Yes (as Yuri Kitagawa)Licensed: Yuri Kitagawa: Class 3 C (Tomoko: Class 5 (Suspended))   Cataloged:No

Data File

Nature: Honorable, Violent, Secretive, Kind, Risk-taker
Demeanor: Quiet, Competent, Business-like, Studious

Observed Behaviors: Yuri is a competent part-time pilot. She does everything by the book, her ‘paperwork’ is always impeccable and she has never had a late delivery or any flight/vehicle violations. Her matrix access is infrequent as Yuri seems to have several meat-space hobbies into which she devotes much of her free time.

Documented Life Events (as Yuri Kitagawa)

• 10.31.2362 - Earth.Japan.Aichi Prefecture.Nagoya Born to Hitomi and Shichiro Kitagawa.
  • 06.13.2377 - Earth.Japan.Aichi Prefecture.Nagoya Parents die in Nagoya Earthquake
  • 08.01.2380 - Earth.Japan.Aichi Prefecture.NagoyaEnrolled in Nagoya Civilian Flight Program
  • 05.22.2382 - Earth.Japan.Aichi Prefecture.NagoyaGraduated flight program with class 3 C license
  • 05.31.2382 - Earth.Japan.Aichi Prefecture.Nagoya.HIVE Registration CenterYuri becomes fully registered.
  • 08.15.2382 - Earth.North America.San FranciscoRelocated with job offer from Disney Express Cargo Systems Ltd.
  • 7.18.2385 - Earth.North America.San FranciscoSwitched to part-time status as part of corporate job reduction measures.
”Life Events as Tomoko Yoshizawa”

Documented Life Events (as Tomoko Yoshizwa)

• 10.31.2362 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Born to Ito and Aoi Yoshizawa.
  • 10.31.2374 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Parents die in multiple fatality vehicular accident.
  • 05.17.2375 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Expelled from Tokyo Public Girl’s Orphanage for violent episode.
  • 09.31.2375 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Arrested for theft and sent to Terahara Girl’s Correctional Facility.
  • 06.12.2376 - Earth.Japan.Terahara Released from facility for good behavior as part of anti-overcrowding policy.
  • 05.25.2379 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Suspected associate of Inagawa-Kai Yakuza Organization.
  • 06.12.2380 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Questioned as suspect in death of five members of Arista Corporation.
  • 07.31.2380 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Questioned as suspect in Hilton-Ritz hotel bombing which killed 3. Observation Status Orange 4.
  • 10.10.2381 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Granted Class 5 License.
  • 02.11.2382 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Positively Identified in public gunfight. Known to have directly murdered four HIVE operatives in process of apprehending Inagawa-kai leadership. Operation classified failure.
  • 02.12.2382 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Observation Status Changed to Red 6.
  • 04.02.2382 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Suspect {Corrupted Data Error}
  • 04.02.2382 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Suspect killed in gunfight with HIVE Operatives.
  • 04.03.2382 - Earth.Japan.Tokyo Body Cremated. Catalog Purged.

Why were you recruited?
Tomoko is a highly competent former Yakuza Assassin. She has skills with multiple weapons and explosives. Competent in infiltration, stealth, and removal of specific targets, she can also hold her own in a firefight. She has little experience in the Matrix or other electronic space, but in meat-space she is deadly when need calls for it. In her Yakuza career she was known to be honorable and to date has killed no known ‘innocents’.
To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, then call whatever you hit the target. ~Ashleigh Brilliant

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking

Ontan

On the off chance you’re still accepting, here’s my character for tinkering / approval. Essentially, he’s a diplomacy-oriented character who’s used his XG3 career to ingratiate himself with the media and upper classes. Given the restrictions on Private Class characters, I’ve tried to emphasise that he doesn’t have many financial resources to play around with, so he’ll still be dependant on Elizabeth to bankroll operations. More importantly, I’ve tried to make sure there’s a reason for him to be Upper Class: it’s his status that empowers him to deflect suspicion. All that said, though, if it’s not a fit for your game, I’ll understand!

Faceclaim
Matthew McConaughey (artwork)
Character Name: Jalen Novari
Alises: ‘Greyhound’ (XG3 tag)
Identification Code: KRA-DG0-884
Social Class: Private Class (financial assets encumbered)
Risk Level: Green 1
HIVE Records: No

Public Records

Eye Color:Blue   Hair Color:Auburn   Age:34
Height:6’1 (184cm)   Weight:176 (80kg)   Birthplace:Omicron Theta

Data File

Nature: Socialite, XG3 pilot, hedonist, cutthroat.
Demeanor: Composed, charming, manipulative, efficient.

Observed Behaviors: A rake and a gentleman, a superstar and a honed killer, an enemy of common decency and the presumed champion of the upper classes: Jalen Novari is all these things. Except, perhaps, the second.
He’s best known for his role as an XG3 pilot with a penchant for dispatching low-born competitors, though his antics off the track have garnered almost as much attention. He’s an incurable hedonist, and readily couples a taste for refinement with grotesque excess: it’s a cultured appreciation of the ballet one night, and a sordid orgy of hired flesh and dangerous drugs the next. Suave and vain in equal measure, he’s usually impeccably dressed and groomed with various high-end accessories, not least of all a suitably exotic sidearm. While he has a rightly earned reputation for excess and arrogance, the last few years have seen a period of uncharacteristic self-reflection, and perhaps even a few hints of remorse. Still, most people are confident it’s only a passing phase. After all, it's hard to take this contemplative side seriously when the corporations are mass-producing energy drinks with his face on the bottle.

Documented Life Events
Early Career

• November 10, 2352 - Omicron Theta, Ailbhe Pinnacle: Jalen is born to Aoibheann and Jurien Novari. One older sister, Makenna, born two years earlier. No complications. Registered and catalogued.
  • November 10, 2370 – Mars, Ali Reza XG3 Track: After many years of MATRIX simulations, Jalen ‘Greyhound’ Novari makes his debut on the XG3 circuit. Despite being an entry-league match restricted to local competitors, the event is subject to considerable media sensationalism, as it hits a nerve with the perceived ‘class struggle’ felt by many audiences. Jalen places third, making for a respectable performance even accounting for the unfair advantages of his top-end cycle. More importantly, though, he also proves to be a natural for the cameras, securing interview after interview. 
  • March 15, 2373 – Earth, Atlantis, New Cairo: Jalen’s first race in the XG3’s Earth Planetary League. Many commentators see it as his first true test: at that level, everyone has access to decent cycles and biological enhancers. He exceeds all expectations, even managing to kill grizzled veteran and fan favourite ‘Codex’. Jalen’s parallel career as a socialite begins in earnest, and he starts becoming a familiar face in media broadcasts, commercial endorsements, and high-profile galas.
  • July 01, 2376 – Earth, various locations: A particularly bloody season sees Jalen claiming the lives of several high-profile rivals on the circuit: 'Whiteout' (Terra, Kuala Lumpur, 28), 'Cannibal Eater' (Atlantis, Melbourne-annex, June 04), and the beloved 'Dawnlight Twins' (Burrows, Moscow, July 01) are the most notable. It causes considerable outrage and dismay among the Underclass and Consumer viewers, but the upper classes are thrilled to see “one of their own” besting the low-born on the circuit. Jalen is promoted to the Interstellar Marble League, the highest tier of XG3 competitive racing. Now a favourite of the elite, is on a first-name basis with numerous politicians, CEOs, and other people of interest.
  • March 03, 2378 – Mars, Renko’s Wound: Slum-born racer ‘Boudicca’ advances to the Martian Planetary League. The gracious, resourceful prodigy is already seen as a potential champion for the Underclass. Despite her success, Jalen very publically ridicules her in several media appearances, damaging Boudicca’s standing with much-needed sponsors.
Fall From Grace

• May 30, 2378 – The Bridge, station exterior, Speekeymonkey Entertainment Corp race track: In a stroke of poetic justice, Sunshine Corporation pulls their support for Jalen just moments before a major race… and in doing so, they also confiscated their prototype engine from Jalen’s cycle. Against the advice of his support crew, Jalen tries to make-do with a stock engine instead. His cycle is completely destroyed in the early stages.
  • June 04 to Nov 06, 2378 – various locations: A combination of rattled nerves, rushed injury treatment, and spiralling damage-control measures see the rest of Jalen’s racing season end in utter shambles. The official rules state that he should’ve been demoted from the Interstellar League, but he uses his considerable charm and media savviness to keep his position.
  • May 30, 2378 to Nov 06, 2379 – various locations: A fresh racing season brings no relief to an embattled, struggling Jalen: he loses two more cycles, nearly dying each time, and is slated for demotion from the Interstellar League after once again failing to rank high enough. In response, he launches a charm offence on every media outlet he can access to shore up his flagging support. It proves enough to placate his increasingly sceptical sponsors, who flout every rule to give him yet another chance to redeem himself.
  • May 30, 2378 to Nov 06, 2380 – various locations: Boudicca, the rising star of the slum, crosses paths with Jalen, the beleaguered champion of the elite. When the two are scheduled to compete head-to-head in the same tournament, a media frenzy ensues, billing it as the ultimate battle of the classes. Tensions and expectations mount on both competitors over the coming months. One the first day of the tournament (Earth, Atlantis, New Orleans, May 30), Boudicca promptly disables Jalen’s vehicle in the early stages, and later goes on to claim the interstellar tournament (Mars, Denga City, Nov 06). While countless billions erupt into improvised festivals for their hero, the ruling elite are apoplectic at Jalen’s failure.
  • December 20, 2378 - Omicron Theta, Ailbhe Pinnacle: Jalen’s financial assets are frozen by his erstwhile sponsors. His lawyers wage a desperate last-stand, stalling for time against creditors. Mocking bookies hold bets as to whether he’ll be re-registered as Common or Consumer Class.
Venus Years

• August 02, 2381 – Omicron Theta, Ailbhe Pinnacle: Jalen's older sister, Makenna, is accidentally killed by a routine HIVE patrol. Notwithstanding the fact Deirdre was wandering in a restricted area without her ID bracelet, or the fact the officer's weapon was ostensibly set to stun, the officer in question is sentenced to life imprisonment.
  • September 18, 2381 – Venus, Industrial Colony, Sector #5: While his estate remains embroiled in legal disputes, Jalen finally rouses himself from the years of apathetic hedonism. He somehow manages to charm, bargain, and connive his way into obtaining enough parts and labour to assemble a crude Anti-G X Cycle. Jalen then enters the ‘Scavenger’s Circuit’ – a completely unofficial, barely legal racing ring on Venus – in an attempt to keep himself in financial limbo, rather than outright ruin.
  • February 08, 2383 – Venus, planetary broadcasts: A series of advertisements for Chevrolet Economy Nutri-Paste are broadcast, starring a self-deprecating Jalen comically ‘acclimatising’ to his new life. Despite being his first commercial endorsement in almost five years, the humorous advertisement campaign proves to be a runaway success. 
  • September 03, 2383 – Uranium Cove, “Wen Wen” circuit (unofficial name): Though devoid of any official rankings, Jalen becomes the informal champion of the scavenger circuit after killing The Sleeper, who previously dominated the scene for a staggering four decades.
  • October 22, 2383 – media releases, various locations: Jalen is re-listed with the Earth Planetary League racing circuit. On the same day, it’s announced that he’ll be co-starring in the upcoming movie Prevenge VII: No Forgiveness. His assets remain frozen, but he convinces a few bemused patrons from the Diamond Class to take yet another chance on him. 
  • March 15, 2384 – Earth, Terra, Kolkata: Seemingly transformed by his time on the scavenger circuit, Jalen proves to have a whole new suite of tricks and tactics, storming his old tracks with a vengeance. A veritable bloodbath of a match unexpectedly kills the top six pilots of the league, catapulting Jalen to the top of the Earth league rankings by default. Fair-weathered friends and capricious sponsors begin to welcome Jalen back into their ranks, and he once again becomes a familiar face on media interviews and commercial endorsements.
Returning to the Fold

• May 30, 2384 – media releases, various locations: Jalen’s former rival, Boudicca, becomes increasingly involved in political demonstrations. Two assassination attempts are made on her life, and while the culprits are never identified, it sparks disastrous rioting in several Underclass and Consumer districts. Coincidentally or not, Jalen is promptly reinstated to the Interstellar Marble League, and a re-match is announced for the undefeated hero of the slums, and the reborn champion of the upper classes.
  • November 06, 2385 – Mars, Quartz Delves: On the seventh and final race of the tournament, Boudicca is killed during a ferocious firefight with Jalen.  With the former eliminated, the latter goes on to claim first place for the interstellar tournament.
  • January 11, 2386 – media releases, various locations: DoubleSafe Food & Drink Corporation teams up with Jalen to release “Jola-Cola”, “Jalenpeno Tacos”, and various other Jalen-branded convenience meals. Jalen’s financial assets are formally unfrozen, and while it’s impossible to draw anything other than living expenses from them due to outstanding creditor charges, it’s nevertheless celebrated as his exoneration by the upper classes.
  • November 06, 2386: Earth, Atlantis, Rio de Janeiro: Jalen once again places first in the Interstellar Marble League tournament, personally killing four competitors in the process. During his victory speech, Jalen announces that he’ll be temporarily standing down from the next few XG3 tournaments, and will only perform in special-event races in the meantime.
  • February 17,2387 – Mars, Laika’s Repose: HIVE officials arrange a relatively friendly appointment with Jalen, after he is flagged for repeatedly accessing insurgent propaganda resources. From the onset, the behaviour is attributed to XG3 stress, rather than criminal intention. Jalen clears his psych evaluation without raising any red flags. The case file is closed and sealed.
  • July 09, 2387 – Mars, Laika’s Repose: HIVE investigators conduct a raid on Jalen’s home, after an attempted database hack is tracked to his address. He is subjected to a full suite of HIVE interrogations, psych evaluations, and predictive behaviour algorithms, which unanimously come up clear. Investigators determine that it must’ve been someone else illegally jacking his comm systems. Jalen is issued an informal order to rectify his lax e-security, but is officially cleared of any legal wrongdoing. The case file is closed and sealed.

Why were you recruited?
Jalen is peerless diplomat, and can wield conversation as both a powerful tool and subtle weapon. He can tease out secrets and sniff out falsehoods; he can denounce the ordinary actions of others, while calmly rationalising the most outrageous or suspicious action on his own part. Goading, seducing, deflecting, persuading… Jalen applies them all as deftly as a surgeon choosing their instrument.  Perhaps more importantly, though, Jalen is both welcomed and trusted implicitly by the media, social elite, and authorities. Coupled with the priviliges afforded by his status, many of his actions are largely exempt from scrutiny, giving him broad access to both people and places. His mastery of XG3 cycles is, by itself, less useful than one might think: Jalen lacks the specialised training in tactics and communication to partake in formal military action. He has enough general know-how to be blandly competent with a variety of small craft, including personal interstellar yachts and other non-industrial vehicles, but the XG3 cycle is what he really shines at.
Thankfully, Jalen also possesses lightning reflexes, and familiarity with violence - traits endemic to any XG3 competitor. Quick wits and a love of exotic weaponry make him unexpectedly dangerous in a fight, though once the opening moments of ruthless surprise are spent, he lacks the staying power of any true warrior.

Aethyrium

You're in luck, definitely still am (was?).

Apologies to everyone for my delay, I was wiped out yesterday and passed right out. I will compile some things this evening and get it posted for everyone tonight/tomorrow (just depending on how far I get), but we should be able to start by this weekend. :)

I appreciate everyone's patience.

Bibliophilia

Apple of Eris

Ons/Offs
Stories I'm Seeking