News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Unknown Armies (always recruiting)

Started by Kythia, August 06, 2013, 08:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demigod1945

Remiel

Out of town currently -- should have a bio up sometime this weekend.

Kythia

No rush at all, Remiel.  There's actually a few people I want to PM about this as well.

For those of you who want it, there's a combat practice thread here

Demigod1945

Ok so I meant to say this earlier, but I've never done a roleplay involving dice rolls, so I'm a bit confused as to how the system works.

Kythia

No problemo.

First off, read this which should give you everything you need about rolling dice on Elliquiy.  If it doesn't answer a question then shout - we got a Mentor and a former Staff member here, both of whom will be presumably be sucking up to me in hopes of extra XP.  So I'm sure we'll be able to answer any questions you might have there.

In brief, though, because that thread's got a lot of information you don't immediately need:

Click on the "Dice Bot" tab across the top.
In "Send To" write my ID number - 39076.  This means the roll will be delivered to me
In "Dice" write 1.  You're rolling one die.
In "Sides" write 100.  You're rolling a hundred sided dice.
Click "Roll Dice"

Demigod1945

All right, dice has been rolled.

Blythe

Quote from: Kythia on August 09, 2013, 08:13:36 PM
First off, read this which should give you everything you need about rolling dice on Elliquiy.  If it doesn't answer a question then shout - we got a Mentor and a former Staff member here, both of whom will be presumably be sucking up to me in hopes of extra XP.  So I'm sure we'll be able to answer any questions you might have there.

*sucks up in hopes for extra EXP*

But yes, Demigod, if you ever have a question about how to run anything on E and Kythia isn't around, you can always ask me here.  :-)

Hmmmm...I should meander off to the practice area to see if I can grasp this combat system.

Demigod1945

Quote from: Blythe on August 09, 2013, 08:38:57 PM
*sucks up in hopes for extra EXP*

But yes, Demigod, if you ever have a question about how to run anything on E and Kythia isn't around, you can always ask me here.  :-)

Hmmmm...I should meander off to the practice area to see if I can grasp this combat system.
Ok, I'll do so if necessary

Kythia

Sorry Blythe.  Didn't mean to dump work on you there.

Blythe

Kythia, I think I will take my initiative as is rather than roll, since I have an initiative of 25. Do I need to post that in the combat area? I'm a little fuzzy on how you want us to structure our posts for combat.

Quote from: Kythia on August 09, 2013, 08:45:52 PM
Sorry Blythe.  Didn't mean to dump work on you there.

Nah, no prob.  ;D

Kythia

My ideal - the dream - would be to involve as much narrative as possible and just finish it off with a (possibly spoilered) comment giving any crucnchy bits.

I'm not gonna insist on that though.

Blythe

Ah, gotcha. My post there in a bit will be minuscule, but hopefully sort of formatted correctly. Let me know if I need to change or add anything. I'm a little confused about what constitutes a successful Initiative roll.

EDIT: Changed my mind and decided to try out rolling so I can get a handle on those rules. I have a suspicion I did badly.

Demigod1945

What number would you want the roll to come out as to be successful in this instance?

Blythe

I think for a successful initiative roll, I need to roll a number under my Speed Statistic, which is 50, but higher than 25, which is my Initiative. So I was shooting for anywhere between 25-50 for a successful roll....and I got a 14. Which means I think I failed my initiative roll.

I am a bit unsure, but that was the gist I got from the combat thread's explanation.

Kythia

It was still a successful roll, because you rolled under your speed stat.  So you go before all unsuccessful ones.  However, if you hadn't rolled you'd be going on 25, now you're going on 14.  It's the risk you take in this utterly arbitrary and consequence-less battle.

Blythe

Demigod1945

Ok, I'll try to throw in a post in the combat thread

Kythia

Coolness.

I get that its a bit confusing at the moment - this goes for you too, Blythe - but honestly it'll be second nature in no time. Blythe may have a slight advantage over you in being used to system games in general but seriously, it'll all be easy as pie in no time.

Demigod1945

Ok one last question before I do this, would I post something saying how he attempts to attack or how he does?

Kythia

Ah, excellent point. 

Generally, if there's a roll involved, talk about what you're attempting to do.  "Time slows down and the camera revolves around Chris as he leaps into the air for a spinning roundhouse, aiming at the woman's head".

I'll narrate the effects once I've seen the roll.

As you get a bit more experienced with the system, though, I don't mind you doing that yourself.  Once you've internalised what's a hit and so forth, there's really no reason that you can't give the results as well.  Does that make sense?

Excellent question, thanks for raising that.

Demigod1945

Ah ok, makes much more sense now. I'll get to posting in a little bit.

Demigod1945

So is this how the actual rp combat will look?

Kythia

Not quite, for a few reasons.

First the actual layout will be different.  I'm putting in pretty big explanations of what's going on so you've at least seen some of the rules before (even if not all of them stay in your head).  So the physical look of the thing will be different.

Secondly, and more importantly, combat in UA does a load of damage and healing is as per the real world - hospital stays and suchlike.  I'm gonna put a knife wielder and then later a gunman in the fight so you can see how it all scales.  I have no interest in running a game where all the PCs sit in a hospital bed for months on end and I doubt you have an interest in playing one.  None of you are particularly combat monsters and I;ve taken from that that none of you are interesting in playing a pure combat game.  If you two had have rolled up characters with obsession struggle scores of 70 then that's a different matter, but you haven't. 

So, while there'll be a plot how you resolve it is your issue.  Frankly Im expecting a fairly low combat game - I don't see your first action to any probem being "CHAAAAAAAAAAARGE!"  So the other reason combat won't look exactly like this is that I imagine it'll be far more tactical.  Neither of you stand much chance in a stand up fair fight against a decent fighter so, you know, just don't get in to them.  Think your way through problems.

Demigod1945

Ok thanks for explaining that. And in the combat, it is Blythe's turn correct?

Blythe

Quote from: Kythia on August 09, 2013, 11:38:19 PM
None of you are particularly combat monsters and I;ve taken from that that none of you are interesting in playing a pure combat game.

I do like to think my way through problems, typically. ^^ Combat is only interesting for me in the sense that it's another type of conflict that drives a plot forward.

I'll get a post up a little later tonight with my practice combat turn.